PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Noice Bylaw starting July?

Lubu
06-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Am I right to assume that starting July, the new vehicle noise bylaw takes into effect? There have been numerous conflicting reports on how the police is treating this bylaw. I know they have those new vehicle noise radar guns. Are they giving warnings first or are they just going to start writing tickets. What is the tickets going to run if they stop us?

I'm particularly worried as all 3 of my M3's have upgraded exhaust systems, one has Custom Exhaust Set-Up with Rasp Eliminator, the other one has the Modified Competition exhaust, and the last one has the Tubi Racing Exhaust which is helluva loud if anyone has one, they can attest to it. I'm all but certain that the Tubi Racing Exhaust is illegal under the new bylaw but I'm not sure about my other 2.

Have you guys taken steps to tone down your exhausts in preparation for the new bylaw? Anyone on the board running a Tubi Racing Exhaust on their E46 M3's and if so, how did you modify it to comply with the bylaw? :(

I remember hearing that there is a city of calgary location where we could go and test out to see if our exhausts are in compliance or below the legal limit. Do you guys know where the location is?

It's a sad day come July and I'm going to take full advantage of my exhaust systems these final few days before the bylaw goes into full swing and they start writing tickets :rolleyes:

narou
06-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Try the search button?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/330642/calgary-excessive-noise-bylaw-open-house/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/354932/cbc-story-on-the-noise-snare/

Lubu
06-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the links. I did do a search on the forum but the first link popped up but the search did not yield the 2nd link you posted. ;) Reading the thread now, very informative and at the same time, scary for us with modified exhaust systems on our cars as the the new bylaw appears to favour the cops and gives them a broad scope to measure what they deam to be illegal or above the 96db level.

As Rage pointed out, if they stood right at the exhaust of even a Toyota Camry, it will be definitely over 96db :(

Cos
06-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Lubu
06-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the tip Cos, will definitely try it the next time I do a search. I agree the search function on the site is not the best unfortunately :(

KRyn
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
How much noice can an M3 really make?

Lubu
06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Surprisingly a lot, here is a youtube video of a Tubi Racing Exhaust which I have. Beautiful sounding especially when you go into a tunnel and on Deerfoot but with the new noice bylaw, not much fun at all :(

HFkCnDiq0JU

rage2
06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
There was a red supercharged M3 at the AutoX that would've had no chance in passing, even if it was idling beside the noise snare. It was louder than bikes with open pipes haha.

FraserB
06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Just so we're clear, the police have nothing to do with this and won't be enforcing it. It is a BYLAW, not a charge under the TSA. Blylaw officers will be manning the single station they have.

Lubu
06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2
There was a red supercharged M3 at the AutoX that would've had no chance in passing, even if it was idling beside the noise snare. It was louder than bikes with open pipes haha.

I feel sorry for most M3 owners because most of us have a modified exhaust of some type. A good chunk of us won't have a chance at passing, I think I know which red supercharged M3 you are referring to, you're right, that thing is louder than any bikes I have heard on the road :rofl:

ddduke
06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Just so we're clear, the police have nothing to do with this and won't be enforcing it. It is a BYLAW, not a charge under the TSA. Blylaw officers will be manning the single station they have.

So am I right to assume that because it's not TSA and instead a bylaw, you will be getting pink tickets and warrants if you do not pay these on time?

Lubu
06-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

So am I right to assume that because it's not TSA and instead a bylaw, you will be getting pink tickets and warrants if you do not pay these on time?

I need a little clarification, if I understand this correctly, those police cruisers are not what I should be fearing as it relates to this? If it's Bylaw officers who are issuing these tickets, what are they driving? Is there any way to distinguish these bylaw enforcement vehicles (special logo, markings,etc.. on their cars)?

FraserB
06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Lubu

I need a little clarification, if I understand this correctly, those police cruisers are not what I should be fearing as it relates to this? If it's Bylaw officers who are issuing these tickets, what are they driving? Is there any way to distinguish these bylaw enforcement vehicles (special logo, markings,etc.. on their cars)?

They say bylaw services on them.

btimbit
06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

And only one van is equipped with the noise snare. If you can afford 3 m3's, you're probably fine with the $200 ticket that you will only get if you drive by the specific location they have it set up that day. Minor risk IMO

Lubu
06-29-2012, 03:51 AM

Thanks for letting me know, at least I know what to look out for them. :)

Originally posted by btimbit

And only one van is equipped with the noise snare. If you can afford 3 m3's, you're probably fine with the $200 ticket that you will only get if you drive by the specific location they have it set up that day. Minor risk IMO

I didn't know that there is only one van fully equipped with the Noise Snare detector. I thought there were a few in the Bylaw's disposal. Thanks for clearing that up :)

And it's not a matter of someone owning 3 M3's that they should able to afford a ticket. I just feel that I could be doing more productive things with $200 like donating it to a worthwhile cause (feeding starving children in third world countries or other charities,etc..) rather than contributing to those who's sole purpose is to get more of our tax dollars :devil: