PDA

View Full Version : after applying for a job

BeyondNewB
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Im really intersted in this job I applied for and found the HR person on Linkdin. Is it a NO NO to add her to my contacts and introduce myself.

swak
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
it'd probably be awkward.

nykz
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I personally wouldn't do it. As you never actually interviewed or met her yet... Even after interviewing with her I probably wouldn't add her as you only know her as an interviewer.

Mar
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
What's the point of LinkedIn if you can't connect with potential employers / employees?

leftwing
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar
What's the point of LinkedIn if you can't connect with potential employers / employees?

Yeah, it's not facebook.... But also on the other hand, OP has never met or 'linked' with this person. I probably wouldn't do it until I have at least met the person.

~Leah~
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
I've had it happen the other way around -- applying for positions then having the recruiter for the company add me on LinkedIn. I'm not sure how acceptable it is for you to take the first step? Good question though. Guess you could and just state where you found the job posting (especially if you found it on LinkedIn).

lint
06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
happens all the time. recruiters hit me up all the time, and I've linked with people when I've had questions about the company or positions they've posted. worse that can happen is no. it's not like fb stalking at all

eblend
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't do it....hell I feel uncomfortable having added people like 5 month ago and getting a job few a weeks ago at that place, even though I know these people from long ago. Recruiters hit me up all the time as well, I just ignore them, but seriously, who would want to expose their whole network up to some random guy who applied, who depending on the job (sounds like you are just out of school?), is probably one of a dozen or so.

Wouldn't do it, would put them in a shitty spot expecially if they don't want to interview you. Wait until at least after the interview request.

swak
06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Think of it as facebook.

You meet me randomly then want to add me on facebook?
Same shit. Kinda weird.

flipstah
06-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by swak
Think of it as facebook.

You meet me randomly then want to add me on facebook?
Same shit. Kinda weird.

But it's not like Facebook at all. This was built to enhance/expand your professional network and I add people who want to recruit me and vice-versa.

That's my way of seeing it though. As for the OP however, I would at least wait until AFTER the interview.

M.alex
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
That's probably less weird than the time i met somebody (not a recruiter), googled them, found they ran a home business in their spare time, looked up the DNS registration information and got their home email ... they never wrote back to me though :(

mugensix
07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
^ voted most likely to become a stalker/murderer.