PDA

View Full Version : Engine swaps - Insurance

GTS Jeff
06-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Are there any implications with insurance if you have a swapped engine? Is it better to get the car, swap the engine, then buy insurance....or get the car, get insurance, and then swap the engine? Does it even make a difference? I want to do a B16A CRX hybrid by the way.

Rydog
06-02-2002, 06:00 PM
i believe, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, that your insurance is most definitely affected. you would have to get it reassessed after the swap. the reason is, if you were in an accident and the car was a write off or the engine got hooped, the insurance would not cover the swap unless you had it re-issued for the engine that you actually had. that would not be worth it, especially if you have spent like 5G on an engine swap.

2000impreza
06-02-2002, 06:16 PM
you have to get your car appraised for how much its worth. usually insurance will increase if the value of your car increases meaning you have to pay more insurance. :banghead:

GTS Jeff
06-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Shitty deal! So I'll have to pay even more for insurance premiums after doing the swap?

So do lots of people just run the risk and don't tell the insurance company?

2000impreza
06-02-2002, 08:05 PM
i'm in a similar situation right now. i really don't think its worth it for me to pay the higher insurance premium but it would be nice to have insurance cover engine, turbo, intercooler,...etc if something did happen :confused: . when i get everything i don't know if i want to run the risk or not.... oh well, i still have a long time to decide :clap:

Silencer
06-03-2002, 11:06 AM
If you do get into an accident, especially if it is your fault, then the insurance company will likely find out you had an engine swap and you didn't tell them. This will likely void your insurance.

2000impreza
06-03-2002, 12:03 PM
what if you have a turbo and intercooler? i don't think insurance company will know that i swapped the engine cause its same as stock except different internals. what do you mean by "void" your insurance? like they won't cover your car or what?

infamous
06-03-2002, 01:44 PM
the insurance company would take your insurance and rip it up. if i am right you might be charged with driving without insurance if they void it. if so, you would be stuck paying any damages and other expenses out of your own pocket.

T5_X
06-03-2002, 03:36 PM
OMG, that would suck! :banghead:

GTS Jeff
06-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Can you be charged with a criminal offense too?

2000impreza
06-03-2002, 09:36 PM
can anyone confirm if they can void your insurance or not? i "heard" the insurance will pay for the other cars involved but not yours.