PDA

View Full Version : 2 week notice

BeyondNewB
06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I've been working at my current job for 3 years, including summer student position. I want to give my 2 week notice but if they ask me where Im going, do I have to tell them?

it's a direct competitor.

xolemonteaox
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
You are not obliged to tell them.

flipstah
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
You are not obligated to tell them but I do to promote transparency between two parties.

I believe it's more proper and civil that way.

lint
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Do you want an extra 2 weeks of vacation? Typically a company will give you pay in lieu if you're going to a competitor.

colinxx235
06-28-2012, 12:10 PM
^

Yup, exactly why I told my previous employer I was going to a direct competitor. I wanted two weeks free inbetween :rofl:

It didn't work tho.... :(

schocker
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

Yup, exactly why I told my previous employer I was going to a direct competitor. I wanted two weeks free inbetween :rofl:

It didn't work tho.... :(
Maybe they lol'd where you were going :rofl:

i keed, i keed

AudiPWR
06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah let them know. I was going to go from ED to PCL and when I told ED that I was leaving to get on with PCL they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

kvg
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
^:werd: they could sweeten the pot for you.

ga16i
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
You don't have to tell them anything. But do take precautions and have your stuff in order prior to giving notice in case things go sour during the meeting and you're asked to leave immediately. Things like this to me should be on a need to know basis, don't say anything other than you're giving your 2 weeks. It doesn't benefit you to give any other information beyond that.

Thaco
06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
You don't have to tell them anything. But do take precautions and have your stuff in order prior to giving notice in case things go sour during the meeting and you're asked to leave immediately. Things like this to me should be on a need to know basis, don't say anything other than you're giving your 2 weeks. It doesn't benefit you to give any other information beyond that. sure it does, if they know you're leaving just for money, they could offer you more and you can keep your comfort... or as others have mentioned, a lot of companies have a policy that if you're going to a competitor they want to protect their information and pay you out the 2 weeks, then you either get 2 weeks free money and start your new job right away, or you get 2 weeks paid vacation.

supe
06-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I also recommend being honest... you never want to burn any bridges in life

colinxx235
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Maybe they lol'd where you were going :rofl:

i keed, i keed

least it wasn't IMV again haha

w/e lolllvo :poosie:

but seriously... I was very disappointed to not get an extra 2 weeks vacation from that :rofl:

C_Dave45
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Does alberta employment standards require employees to give notice of termination? Because in BC they dont. Only employers do.

~Leah~
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Does alberta employment standards require employees to give notice of termination? Because in BC they dont. Only employers do.

Yup. See 2nd page (http://www.employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-PUB_esguide.pdf)

1 week if >3 mths and <2 yrs.
2 weeks if >2 yrs.

C_Dave45
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
^ Yup. Just found that myself. Funny how the provinces differ on basic employment standards.

schocker
06-28-2012, 02:27 PM

least it wasn't IMV again haha

w/e lolllvo :poosie:

but seriously... I was very disappointed to not get an extra 2 weeks vacation from that :rofl:
IMV.....never again.
Oh I am going to call about some cars tomorrow once I finish my ERCB stuff!

colinxx235
06-28-2012, 02:33 PM

IMV.....never again.
Oh I am going to call about some cars tomorrow once I finish my ERCB stuff!

Haha yah, had some fun times back in the day though.

Sure you are ;) , can't get much worse than what you have now hahahah j/k

I'm almost done my car crap after many months. I have a deal on an S4 I'm working on, and a 335is. Trying to decide what to do. I was hoping to get a C63 in the mix but couldn't find one I wanted privately, too much at dealers. See how it unfolds.

schocker
06-28-2012, 02:37 PM

Haha yah, had some fun times back in the day though.

Sure you are ;) , can't get much worse than what you have now hahahah j/k

I'm almost done my car crap after many months. I have a deal on an S4 I'm working on, and a 335is. Trying to decide what to do. I was hoping to get a C63 in the mix but couldn't find one I wanted privately, too much at dealers. See how it unfolds.
Oh estimating was quite boring. Now work is actually fun.
Oh it is running quite well now that I fixed it up!
If only I had my iron ring :rofl:
S4 for my next year though, this year it will be A4/IS250/G37 whichever I can get my hands on.

ga16i
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by supe
I also recommend being honest... you never want to burn any bridges in life

I think that boat has already left the dock once the decision was made to go to a direct competitor...

It probably depends what position OP was at originally. 3 years is a good chunk of time and he could be somewhat high up on the food chain. If he was a dish washer or janitor, then yeah no problem going from Wendy's to McDonald's. But if he was say a high up sales manager or something with knowledge of the secret sauce, there probably will be grumblings about customers, contacts, non-compete/non-disclosure stuff.

ercchry
06-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Yeah let them know. I was going to go from ED to PCL and when I told ED that I was leaving to get on with PCL they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

if you go this route do it before you accept any offers as this can get you black balled from future jobs :whipped:

colinxx235
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Oh estimating was quite boring. Now work is actually fun.
Oh it is running quite well now that I fixed it up!
If only I had my iron ring :rofl:
S4 for my next year though, this year it will be A4/IS250/G37 whichever I can get my hands on.

Oh I didn't realize you were estimating... yuggg
Should have fought through the engg battle, it pays!
Yah I'm still wavering on an S4. Found a low km one. Has statis stage 1 + exhaust. Might pull the trigger in the next few days. BMW is trying hard to get me into a 335is

ga16i
06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
^ oh right, forgot that this is beyond and that everyone is baller.

Please disregard the remark about the answer being dependent on your position. Since you're obviously an executive of your previous employer, definitely do not disclose your future employment with a direct competitor to anyone. If things go South, have your new company's legal department handle it.

schocker
06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh I didn't realize you were estimating... yuggg
Should have fought through the engg battle, it pays!
Yah I'm still wavering on an S4. Found a low km one. Has statis stage 1 + exhaust. Might pull the trigger in the next few days. BMW is trying hard to get me into a 335is
I only ever got to estimate once actually :D The rest was going through old estimates and building my database. Now I do everythingggg
I was too stupid at math, would have been in Elec!
I would do S4, I thought the IS had dumb upgrades for the extra cost iirc. S4 is king, can't wait to get mine. Stasis does flag your vin though in audi's system. Royal Oak is an authorized dealer though so you get stasis warranty through them.

colinxx235
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM

I only ever got to estimate once actually :D The rest was going through old estimates and building my database. Now I do everythingggg
I was too stupid at math, would have been in Elec!
I would do S4, I thought the IS had dumb upgrades for the extra cost iirc. S4 is king, can't wait to get mine. Stasis does flag your vin though in audi's system. Royal Oak is an authorized dealer though so you get stasis warranty through them.

Yah we will see. To be honest. Even with the stasis stage 1, the audi didn't feel that like "omg this is fast", I couldn't notice a difference between stock, granted it was a few weeks inbetween drives. The car just felt so controlled. I don't know if it was the 7 speed or what, but yah, nice car. The exhaust was EXTREMELY noticeable. At a red light it was rumbling through my seats like a subwoofer.

The 335is, I was in love with the seats/feel of the car. The drive was amazing. Downfalls are pure rwd/2 door/next to no rear seat room. That and the dealership I have to deal with for service...

:banghead:

schocker
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
See I love audi audi audi. AWD and that nice engine would be great. I likely won't get RWD again until I have enough $$$ for dedicated summer/winter vehicles (No not another Volvo) That is why I am still hoping to get an A4 this year in preparation as my friend just brought one back on Monday to prepare for his S4 :rofl:
I do enjoy this thread sidetrack though.:rofl:

A790
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Stats suggest that 85% of people who accept a retention offer from their current employer are no longer with the company after 1 year.

You are not obligated to inform your employer where you are going. "Other opportunities" is an acceptable answer.

Disoblige
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by A790
Stats suggest that 85% of people who accept a retention offer from their current employer are no longer with the company after 1 year.

Makes sense. I wouldn't want to stick with a company that only offered me 'x' amount more only when they knew I was planning to leave.

If I did accept the retention offer, I would use it as bargaining power for other jobs I'll be looking for. :D

kvg
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I have always disclosed my reason for leaving a company, I have also never accepted a retention offer after accepting a job and this has always worked in my favor. I have returned to a company years later after leaving with better position, pay, day one restatement of benefits and seniority. I aways suggest being upfront and honest with an employer, leaving on good terms is always best.