PDA

View Full Version : Help - Low Voltage Cabling

94CoRd
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I was wondering if someone could recommend an individual to do some low voltage wiring in my home.

Basically, there is an area above the fireplace where the TV is, however the cable outlet, speaker hook up etc all reside in an adjacent corner.

I'd like to run the cable from the corner, to the basement (undeveloped basement) and back up behind the fireplace.

I'm not sure if I trust some kijiji type adds.

Thanks in advance.

Cos
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM

ercchry
06-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Dannie I think is the beyond electrician.

electricians and low voltage guys normally dont get along :rofl:

EDIT: and i think thats Danno, Dannie is the local registry agent?

Cos
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

ercchry
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
nah, low voltage is less work to run due to having 0 codes related to it (in ab anyways). more difficult terminations though.

black_shadow_18
06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
not to start a fight, but there is a whole section in the code book dedicated to low voltage wiring... and there are other rules related to it as well, such as hole sizes and spacing in the building code, distance from flues and heating pipes etc.. Im not a low voltage guy, Im a real electrician, but everything has rules..

94CoRd
06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
So would an electrician be insulted if I asked him for this type of work (media-type) install? or does having an electrician (good one) do it, mean it's going to get done right?

codetrap
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 94CoRd
So would an electrician be insulted if I asked him for this type of work (media-type) install? or does having an electrician (good one) do it, mean it's going to get done right? If they're insulted, then find a different one that's not a dumbass.

wtf im nameless
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
So would an electrician be insulted if I asked him for this type of work (media-type) install?

Probably not.

or does having an electrician (good one) do it, mean it's going to get done right?

Definitely not.

Retro wiring can be a pain in the ass, you never know what exactly is behind the walls until you begin the project. Look for someone who specializes in low-voltage.

89coupe
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I was wondering if someone could recommend an individual to do some low voltage wiring in my home.

Basically, there is an area above the fireplace where the TV is, however the cable outlet, speaker hook up etc all reside in an adjacent corner.

I'd like to run the cable from the corner, to the basement (undeveloped basement) and back up behind the fireplace.

I'm not sure if I trust some kijiji type adds.

Thanks in advance.

www.pinnaclehometech.com

They did my entire house, they do great work and their rates are extremely competitive.

eblend
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Why go through all this trouble when all you need is a hole to drill and a few cables to fish through? I did this at my place right above the fireplace. Measure everything out, drill a hole, put the fishing take up, measure where you want your wall plates to be, cut a hole, and catch the fishing tape. Buy in-wall rated cabeling. The fireplace should have a heat shield around it, so even if your cables touch the heat shield, being inwall rated they won't melt as they have a high heat tolerance, and the heat shield would never get that hot.

It is pretty simple to do really. Did this at my friend's place as well, about 30 min all in. If you want to buy good wall plates, monoprice has a huge selection of everything you would need, including inwall cableing.

ercchry
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
in wall=plenum rated cable, but its not necessary in ab