PDA

View Full Version : Best Home Secuirty

turab16
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Anyone has any great experiences with Home security companies in Calgary?

Looking to get one installed here pretty soon.

Any tips / suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

turab16
07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
anyone?

ExtraSlow
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
United Alarm, $19 bucks a month.

JLau
07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
alarm force under 30 a month...any alerts go to my cell phone and alarm force

Xtrema
07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
United Alarm, $19 bucks a month.

This. Although I think they sold it to someone else now, same price, for now.

I'm not looking for any fancy stuff.

ExtraSlow
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Really, the alarm probably doesn't do much to protect you from getting broken into.

You'd be further ahead financially NOT paying anything per month and just saving that money. After all, that's what insurance is for. However, some people like the peace of mind, so I figure you should get that for the lowest per month cost possible.

canadian booster
07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
i can attest that if you have an alarm going off in your home, the burgler asshole is less likely to stick around for any length of time. They might go through some things for 5 mins, but they won't sit around for a half hour like some would

SOAB
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
i have an alarm from Vivant. wireless sensors, security zones, remote arming, direct connection to city services (CPS, FD), etc.

i have insurance to replace my stuff, but i have the alarm system to help protect my family.

bjstare
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Might want to look into Triton.

My parents have one of their systems, and from what experience I've had while house sitting, its been great. In addition to the regular stuff (motion sensors/windows/doors) they provide the option for tons of useful services, i.e. the company will notify someone if the hot tub dips below a certain temperature (so it doesn't freeze and crack anything)...this came in handy last winter haha. They also provided a unit in the basement that will provide a cellular connection if the phone lines are cut.

In addition, the customer service there is great.

I have no idea what it costs, but I'm guessing its more than $19/mo haha

brandon
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Might want to look into Triton.

My parents have one of their systems, and from what experience I've had while house sitting, its been great. In addition to the regular stuff (motion sensors/windows/doors) they provide the option for tons of useful services, i.e. the company will notify someone if the hot tub dips below a certain temperature (so it doesn't freeze and crack anything)...this came in handy last winter haha. They also provided a unit in the basement that will provide a cellular connection if the phone lines are cut.

In addition, the customer service there is great.

I have no idea what it costs, but I'm guessing its more than $19/mo haha

Yeah, that system will be more then $19 a month..

Sounds like they have all the features, gsm backup unit, high/low temp sensor and most likely a sump sensor I would guess.

GSM Monitoring is on average 30$ a month alone! never mind the cost of normal monitoring on top of that.

max_boost
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I got a couple of these doors and I don't think a thief is going to bother breaking through these. I always thought thieves like going for the easy targets?

http://www.mrwroughtiron.ca/img/security/602.jpg

I am also secured with Andes security. Just more for peace of mind, if they make it through I'm going to shoot them, plant a knife in their hands and then call the cops. :rofl:

bjstare
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by brandon

Yeah, that system will be more then $19 a month..

Sounds like they have all the features, gsm backup unit, high/low temp sensor and most likely a sump sensor I would guess.

GSM Monitoring is on average 30$ a month alone! never mind the cost of normal monitoring on top of that.

Haha ya they have the sump sensor as well. You work for Triton or something these days?

They also have some doors kinda like maxboost has... they're less of a door and more of a gate though haha. Those security doors are the way to go.

eblend
07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I got a couple of these doors and I don't think a thief is going to bother breaking through these. I always thought thieves like going for the easy targets?

http://www.mrwroughtiron.ca/img/security/602.jpg

I am also secured with Andes security. Just more for peace of mind, if they make it through I'm going to shoot them, plant a knife in their hands and then call the cops. :rofl:

live in the NE? haha

My friend has a security system in his place that he just canceled. Had two false alarms and all it caused was uncertanty of what the hell is going on while at work and $100+ for a security guard to come and check it out....he bought an internet webcam and just uses that to record shit happening at his place and check up on things. My whole house has 8 cameras and I find that they provide better security than a house system would, as it can be configured to e-mail you ect as well. I think visual security is better than any alarm. The recorder is in hidden out of sight in a locked secure location.

http://www3.telus.net/eblend/Misc/Security.jpg

ExtraSlow
07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by eblend
My friend has a security system in his place that he just canceled. Had two false alarms and all it caused was uncertanty of what the hell is going on while at work and $100+ for a security guard to come and check it out....

$100 for a security guard? Mine directly calls to CPS, and they charge less than that for a false alarm. I think it was $85 last summer when my family tripped it.

SOAB
07-05-2012, 09:43 PM
i had one false alarm 2 summers ago. 2 CPS officers came out to check the place out and i didn't get charged anything... :dunno:

lilmira
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I paid 75 last time when they send the police to check out my place.

R!zz0
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm with Reliance Protection and i love it. I don't have a home phone so i pay $40/month.

Uab5MIQJmz4

max_boost
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by eblend

live in the NE? haha
Yep! haha

redsrt4
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
ALARM FORCE:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CompletelyNumb
07-06-2012, 11:05 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/14030/798766-shotgun.jpg

Xtrema
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by canadian booster
i can attest that if you have an alarm going off in your home, the burgler asshole is less likely to stick around for any length of time. They might go through some things for 5 mins, but they won't sit around for a half hour like some would

That's all it's good for, limit their time.

nzwasp
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Not ADT for sure they are a load of muppets