PDA

View Full Version : Water Damage

Mibz
06-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Wife flooded the laundry room, which is upstairs. Water spread and we've got a bunch of baseboard damage but we know some got down to the main floor. We've got one company coming in to take a look on Tuesday but I was hoping somebody here had a company they recommended for water damage repair.

Cos
06-30-2012, 05:19 PM

buh_buh
06-30-2012, 06:42 PM
This is why you make the wife.... Nevermind.

Unknown303
06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
should have installed a basin under the washer when problem solved.. but since it's happened already it's going to be shitty.

Mibz
07-01-2012, 11:51 AM
There's a drainage area under the washer, but she flooded the sink which, for some reason, doesn't have an overflow drain. I guess the water wasn't flowing as quickly towards the drain as we would've liked.

In good news, she can no longer give me shit any time I scratch, dent or otherwise inflict minor damage to the house from now on :P

Unknown303
07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
There's a drainage area under the washer, but she flooded the sink which, for some reason, doesn't have an overflow drain. I guess the water wasn't flowing as quickly towards the drain as we would've liked.

In good news, she can no longer give me shit any time I scratch, dent or otherwise inflict minor damage to the house from now on :P

That's shitty, if I was doing an upstairs wash area I'd do the whole area with a drain if I could.

Mibz
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, lessons learned the hard way :P Ah well, I'll update the thread with the inspection results.

Z_Fan
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I wonder if your home insurance would cover the repair costs?

But yeah, a healthy marriage needs this kind of shit so you can hold it over her for...years and years and years. Trust me, if it were the other way around, she would do it to you.

:devil:

sillysod
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
insurance will cover it

Mibz
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Drywall, carpet and underlay were all dry. Baseboard is still a little swollen but that's from me having my humidifier too high. We can just repaint the cracked the baseboard and we're good to go. Great success. Now I can hold it over her head -and- not have to pay for repairs.

guessboi
07-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Good to hear...water damage sucks...are you going through insurance?

Mibz
07-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Nope. We've got some other paint touch-ups and wood filling to do so this just gets added to the list. Had repairs been more than $1,500 or so then we probably would have gone through insurance.

403Gemini
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Drywall, carpet and underlay were all dry. Baseboard is still a little swollen but that's from me having my humidifier too high. We can just repaint the cracked the baseboard and we're good to go. Great success. Now I can hold it over her head -and- not have to pay for repairs.

Most interior walls dont have insulation/vapour barrier so they can be dried out by getting some air movers in and kicking off the baseboards and pushing air behind it if the drywall was wet at all. (If needed, cut a few small holes below the baseboard so when you pop new base back on you wouldn't even notice).

Honestly, with clean water, if you're fast enough all you should have to really replace is affected underpad (if you even really want too... depending how soaked it got) and baseboards... I assume they're the cheapo MDF crap that all homes have that as soon as they get wet they're gone lol.

Lucky it was clean water, if it was sewage, you'd be needing to tear out more