PDA

View Full Version : Kart World Review (Summer 2012)

MGCM
06-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I went there with a couple friends for some lapping and overall i would never return. I find that $50 for approx 15mins is a little steep. The karts i feel are unsafe, i had to re-tighten my belt every 2-3 laps just to maintain full control of the kart at speed thru the corners, my damn factory integra seatbelt is safer, u figure a proper harness would be safer.......if they had proper ones......then there is the course itself which is in desperate need of attention. Overall i did not get the feeling any of the employee gave a shit about safety, those guys are there for a paycheque......u get what u pay for and ya good help is hard to find. I feel the potential danger there for both myself, my family, and my friends, is too great to ever recommend any of them attend that facility.

Next up is Shakers Family centre and i will write a review for them as well.

:( i miss the indoor grand prix place, we should all pitch in and build another one lol

buh_buh
06-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Who cares how fast the karts are. How safe really is it?

I'll save you the $30, don't bother going to Shaker's. The karts are crap. You can do a full lap without taking your foot off the accelerator.

DannyO
06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
I'd recommend keeping an eye on groupon discounts for when they have an offer for the Allen Berg Kart Racing School, bought one the other day, its $80 (50% off) for some racing education, then 15 minutes following an instructor, then you get 15 minutes by yourself to race around a pretty nice looking course.

-KluBUnVdzs

Yea Calgary sucks for go-karting, Edmonton appears to have a good venue for it.

xnvy
07-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
The karts are crap. You can do a full lap without taking your foot off the accelerator. This applies to both Shakers and Kart World. The track at Shaker's is in much better condition that KW's but there is no where to pass so when I went yesterday I just spin people when they got in my way. The staff at Shaker's don't gave a f*** if you screw around so it's fun with friends, staff at KW got all pissy at us for a little bit of bumping. Shaker's is also a lot cheaper, for $25 you can ride the go-karts as many times as you want but like an above poster said look for the deals for Allen Berg on Groupon and Dealfind, there was one on Groupon just a couple days ago where I scooped up a ticket.

chowd3r
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
:( i miss the indoor grand prix place, we should all pitch in and build another one lol [/B]
Spent many an afternoon ditching class to go there.

flipstah
07-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
I'd recommend keeping an eye on groupon discounts for when they have an offer for the Allen Berg Kart Racing School, bought one the other day, its $80 (50% off) for some racing education, then 15 minutes following an instructor, then you get 15 minutes by yourself to race around a pretty nice looking course.

-KluBUnVdzs

Yea Calgary sucks for go-karting, Edmonton appears to have a good venue for it.

:werd:

I bought one with some friends and we have an August appointment! :bigpimp:

We went to K1 in California and man, it was so much fun! I love karting. :drool:

clem24
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
ABRS is awesome. The Karts are pretty quick. Beware when the tires are cold as they are prone to spinning (yes did it twice ahahaha). And if you stop, they stall.

flipstah
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by clem24
ABRS is awesome. The Karts are pretty quick. Beware when the tires are cold as they are prone to spinning (yes did it twice ahahaha). And if you stop, they stall.

That's why you gotta do the warm-up 'sway' before your lap!

They do it on TV. Why can't I? :rofl:

MGCM
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

:werd:

I bought one with some friends and we have an August appointment! :bigpimp:

We went to K1 in California and man, it was so much fun! I love karting. :drool:

Aug appointment where? In Edmonton? If so then it's something me and a few friends might invest in at some point in the future. I just can't afford to travel very far right now so going to California is out of the question for the time being. I definitely want to go down there for the Alan Berg school in the next few years.

flipstah
07-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Aug appointment where? In Edmonton? If so then it's something me and a few friends might invest in at some point in the future. I just can't afford to travel very far right now so going to California is out of the question for the time being. I definitely want to go down there for the Alan Berg school in the next few years.

Nope. Calgary. They had a Groupon deal!

Allen Berg Racing Schools - Calgary 2012 Kart groupon
8/17/12 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM

:bigpimp:

xnvy
07-02-2012, 08:52 PM
^I got that, still haven't booked a date yet.

flipstah
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
^I got that, still haven't booked a date yet.

I suggest you should. My friends booked the appointment months back and they said July was full already. :dunno:

MGCM
07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
if its in calgary maybe i can come spectate

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I did a full ABRS carting day a few years back and it was awesome! After about 3-4 hours of actual cart time I could barely move my arms the next day!

Eleanor
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I went back home to Winnipeg and visited family last week and hit up this place: speedworld.ca

Calgary go-karts pale in comparison :(

MGCM
07-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Calgary deserves an indoor kart track.......whos in? I wanna start looking at developing a business plan and find someone in Calgary with way too much money and willing to invest in local motorsports........cant be that hard, lotta students on here and im sure some are in business classes, school project maybe?

flipstah
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Calgary deserves an indoor kart track.......whos in? I wanna start looking at developing a business plan and find someone in Calgary with way too much money and willing to invest in local motorsports........cant be that hard, lotta students on here and im sure some are in business classes, school project maybe?

The weather makes maintenance costly so it's hard to make a profit on it. At least, I think it would be.

ae92gts
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

The weather makes maintenance costly so it's hard to make a profit on it. At least, I think it would be.

weather makes maintenance costly? even with an indoor track? i do imagine there would be expansion and contraction with the warm and cold weather, but i didnt think i would affect indoor concrete/pavement that much? correct me if i am wrong

flipstah
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ae92gts

weather makes maintenance costly? even with an indoor track? i do imagine there would be expansion and contraction with the warm and cold weather, but i didnt think i would affect indoor concrete/pavement that much? correct me if i am wrong

Oops. Reading>me. :facepalm:

If it's indoor, then there's a way to make money on it. I can only see group bookings to break even.

MGCM
07-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Price has to be right and lots of advertising for group bookings and i believe it has the potential to be profittable, nothing serious but a little exta money in someones pocket and a safe place for kids young and old to have fun.

RNB11
07-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Kart world is awesome, if theres no risk involved then it's no fun. Seat beats are fine aslong you properly tighten it. Karts are also way faster than shakers and if you an your friends wanna bump then go right ahead.

sputnik
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I went back home to Winnipeg and visited family last week and hit up this place: speedworld.ca

I know the owners of Speedworld. They are all racing (F1 and AutoX) junkies. The karts are properly tuned and maintained and the track is well designed with challenging spots and electronic timing.

I have known people to literally get sick from the tunnel vision you get from racing so fast on a tight track and at speeds of 50km/h.

If Calgary had a place like that, rage2 would have his own parking spot in the lot.

4V_tl84iyEY

mugensix
07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
^ that looks really fun! I would have a huge smile on my face hahah. Calgary has a consumer base for this kind of stuff. Kart world makes money, and its a ghetto version. Im goin to look into this sort of thing!

sputnik
07-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by mugensix
^ that looks really fun! I would have a huge smile on my face hahah. Calgary has a consumer base for this kind of stuff. Kart world makes money, and its a ghetto version. Im goin to look into this sort of thing!

The problem in Calgary is being able to afford a location to run the business in without having to charge your customers a small fortune per lap.

MGCM
07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RNB11
Kart world is awesome, if theres no risk involved then it's no fun. Seat beats are fine aslong you properly tighten it. Karts are also way faster than shakers and if you an your friends wanna bump then go right ahead.

Soon as i sat down in the kart I got my harness zipped so tight i could not move my body, yet it still came loose every 2-3 laps........

MGCM
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

The problem in Calgary is being able to afford a location to run the business in without having to charge your customers a small fortune per lap.

Would probably not be feasible in Calgary for that reason, but, airdrie? Strathmore? Okotokes? Somewhere outside of Calgary it could be done affordably.

Gibson
07-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Would probably not be feasible in Calgary for that reason, but, airdrie? Strathmore? Okotokes? Somewhere outside of Calgary it could be done affordably.

They had that one up in Balzac several years ago, although I guess that's basically Calgary now anyway. That only stayed for one or two seasons, went once, don't remember much about it. Ricky Bobby's or something?

Haven't been to Kart World in years, but Shakers is OK. It's pretty cheap but it isn't very exciting racing and, as someone else said, no opportunities for passing. Went to the one in Kelowna this year and the track was pretty good but my kart was waaay down on power so I got left behind haha.

ShermanEF9
07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
calgary has no good places anymore which really sucks :(. i have a video of me driving at speeders up here in edmonton. the karts are electric so the power is pretty much instant which is nice. the only downside is they are a little more strict on bumping and drifiting and stuff, but its still a good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-BRaUGBDAw

clem24
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Kart World sucked a lot of balls.. We want last year for a friend's bachelor party.. The carts were so inconsistent (some were just so much quicker than others) and mine was spouting fuel so no one wanted to race me anyway cause they'd just get a face full of fuel.

Eleanor
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I know the owners of Speedworld. They are all racing (F1 and AutoX) junkies. The karts are properly tuned and maintained and the track is well designed with challenging spots and electronic timing. Haha, well tell them they've got an awesome facility for me, makes going back there to visit family a little easier :D

I was shocked that the cars didn't have harnesses though, seems like a lawyer's nightmare/wet dream.

superlative
07-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
This applies to both Shakers and Kart World. The track at Shaker's is in much better condition that KW's but there is no where to pass so when I went yesterday I just spin people when they got in my way. The staff at Shaker's don't gave a f*** if you screw around so it's fun with friends, staff at KW got all pissy at us for a little bit of bumping. Shaker's is also a lot cheaper, for $25 you can ride the go-karts as many times as you want but like an above poster said look for the deals for Allen Berg on Groupon and Dealfind, there was one on Groupon just a couple days ago where I scooped up a ticket.

I overtook 6 people in one session at Shakers :D

I had to be the heaviest driver there too. I had to nudge people out of the way to do it, but I wished I had thought of doing the pit manouvre!