PDA

View Full Version : Biking to work... and maintenance.

benyl
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Alright, my ass has gotten fat enough that I need to exercise.

I have an old 1999 Cannondale F500 that I think would work for commuting:
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1999&Brand=Cannondale&Model=F500&Type=bike

I pulled it from storage and wiped it down. Aired up the tires and went for a slow ride to see if I remembered how.

Tried shifting into the granny gear and well, right shifter won't go past gear 4. Haven't had a chance to take it apart.

It is a Shimano SL-MC41.

When I push the bottom lever, it shifts up from the smallest cog, but it doesn't ratchet back so that I can shift up again.

Is it serviceable, or do I have to buy a new shifter?

TYMSMNY
07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
serviceable for sure. probably a loose screw or needs an adjustment.

Bring it down to Bow Cycle and they'll have a look for you. Then you can decide if it's worth it to fix.

how long has it been in storage? prob needs a good clean and lube too. :)

benyl
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I haven't really used the bike in 10 years. haha.

The price of a complete overhaul at Bow Cycle is nearly the cost of half a new bike! haha.

I used it when I was in University, but that was long time ago.

I also have a habit of buying things and not really using them.

I have one of these that has maybe seen 300 kms.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/2005/archive/madone52

msommers
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
:rofl: Just have money to burn eh? Must be nice!

bigboom
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Alright, my ass has gotten fat enough that I need to exercise.

I have an old 1999 Cannondale F500 that I think would work for commuting:
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1999&Brand=Cannondale&Model=F500&Type=bike

I pulled it from storage and wiped it down. Aired up the tires and went for a slow ride to see if I remembered how.

Tried shifting into the granny gear and well, right shifter won't go past gear 4. Haven't had a chance to take it apart.

It is a Shimano SL-MC41.

When I push the bottom lever, it shifts up from the smallest cog, but it doesn't ratchet back so that I can shift up again.

Is it serviceable, or do I have to buy a new shifter?

sounds like shifter might be seized...i'm not sure how willing you are to do this but open up the shifter and take a look at the cabling, you will see a head on a cable nestled in the shifter make sure that is seated correctly.

the other thing that you can check is cable tension, make sure that there isnt a high level of tension in the cable. with the symptoms you are describing though it sounds like a seized shifter, shifters arent really all that serviceable and most likely you wont find a mechanic in town willing to service it.

benyl
07-03-2012, 10:32 AM
4-8 seems fine. Everything clicks like normal.

I'll drop it off at bow cycle today and see what they say. Might end up with a new bike.

Any recommendations for a path warrior commuter?

Penguin_Racecar
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Likely dirty shifter housings/cables, which would be a relatively cheap fix.

If you're buying a new bike for commuting - I'd buy a Kona Dew of some variety. They're great bikes. Option 2 would be a Kona Jake cyclocross bike if you want to have something sportier and are willing to pony up the extra coin.

benyl
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Where is the best place for good bike accessories at reasonable cost? (I am half asian after all).

MEC? Bow cycle?

98type_r
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Prices at MEC are usually hard to beat.

msommers
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
MEC or online for parts and clothes. I found a pair of PI thermal tights online for half price from The Bike Shop.

For a commuter, the bike you have sounds totally fine. Hell the Trek bike is amazing and it's also sitting around lol. Don't waste your money in buying another bike.

lint
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I had the same issue with an old bike I pulled out of storage as well. took it to bow, they cleaned out the shifter cables with solvent, and shifts as good as new. didn't even charge me for it. But I did buy a new wheel on the same visit since it was bent when my wife ran over it

BrknFngrs
07-03-2012, 11:34 AM
There was a thread a whille back that mentioned an individual who runs a bike repair business; but I can't seem to find the thread.

Apparently he was reasonably priced and even picked up and dropped off your bike at your home.

Anyone remember who/which company this was?

Canmorite
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
There was a thread a whille back that mentioned an individual who runs a bike repair business; but I can't seem to find the thread.

Apparently he was reasonably priced and even picked up and dropped off your bike at your home.

Anyone remember who/which company this was?

There's a house on 2 ST and 31 AVE NW where the guy (Jay) services bikes out of his garage. Got a full tune up and new chain for $90. I'll dig up my invoice to get a number if anyone's interesed.

Moonracer
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

There's a house on 2 ST and 31 AVE NW where the guy (Jay) services bikes out of his garage. Got a full tune up and new chain for $90. I'll dig up my invoice to get a number if anyone's interesed.

I second that

http://mechanahands.com/

benyl
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Took the bike to Jay.

Good as new.

Rode it in today. not looking forward to the hot ride home.

msommers
07-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Regarding cleaning and greasing the chain, what products/tools do you guys prefer to use?

J-hop
07-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Regarding cleaning and greasing the chain, what products/tools do you guys prefer to use?

I personally don't grease my chain. I use a chain wax instead and generally apply every day. The chain wax gives the chain good lubrication and flakes off when saturated with dirt. I've noticed my chain runs way cleaner (haven't given it a full clean since the beginning of this season and probably won't need to this season) and things like rear derailers don't get gummed up anymore. I still grease the derailer itself with some bio grease stuff I got from Ridleys though. It's ok stuff but if I didn't have a full tub left to go through I would have bought some Park grease, I love that stuff!!

msommers
07-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Ended up hitting The Bike Shop as they had the Park Tool cleaning kit with the brush and cleaning solution. The PT cleaning unit seemed to get more solid reviews than the Filzer one at MEC and after buying the other bits, there really wasn't much difference in price.

flipstah
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Bumping because spring is here and I'm planning to ride to work.

How do you bring a change of clothes without wrinkling them?

a social dsease
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I fold my shirt in half, then roll it up. Same thing with the pants, fold once then roll.

BigDL
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Bumping because spring is here and I'm planning to ride to work.

How do you bring a change of clothes without wrinkling them?

Fold and roll is what I used to do when I used to be able to ride to work. Or I had Pac Design bag that went across my back that fit my clothes nicely without me doing extra folding, since it fit my cloths nicely folded from my drawers.

flipstah
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Sweet, thanks. I also have a pannier just in case.

blitz
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Why not just store the clothes at work?

benyl
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Is there bike parking at the Bow?

megavolt
04-17-2013, 02:53 PM

http://www.hrproperties.ca/bow/parking.html

$100 a year... guess that's cheap for 'parking' downtown but every building I've been in it's been free.

Moonracer
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Sweet, the construction of the bike ways on 7st. have begun. I ride up 7st everyday to work, can't wait to see how this thing works out. :thumbsup:

zipdoa
04-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Anyone ride a cyclocross bike? My Kona Fox needs some new rubber and I don't want to run an all terrain tire again. Whats a durable pathway slick?

megavolt
04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I've run both of these tires on the Jake the Snake you sold me last year.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/TiresTubesWheels/RoadTires/PRD~5019-250/continental-touring-plus-700x32c-wire-tire.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/TiresTubesWheels/RoadTires/PRD~5028-602/vittoria-rubino-pro-700c-150-tpi-folding-tire.jsp

Went to the skinny slick when I started training for the ride to conquer cancer on the highways. They're okay on the pathways too but you sure do feel any bumps.

98type_r
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Continental Gatorskin, Specialized Armadillo are both really durable slicks.

flipstah
04-18-2013, 01:29 PM

I was just planning to park it in my office. :dunno:

benyl
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
haha, good luck with that.

flipstah
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
haha, good luck with that.

Behold! The folder!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1042.jpg

I'll just say it's a giant walker. :rofl: It'll be in a covered bag so hopefully it'll get through.

Moonracer
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm lucky, I can bring my bike into my office. Rode the Langster today

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Moonracer/Biking/FE3EA4A5-DD7A-4438-9857-8F9FF412F5DC-8415-00000205B13DC1EC_zps3e9ef9da.jpg

zipdoa
04-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I've run both of these tires on the Jake the Snake you sold me last year.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/TiresTubesWheels/RoadTires/PRD~5019-250/continental-touring-plus-700x32c-wire-tire.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/TiresTubesWheels/RoadTires/PRD~5028-602/vittoria-rubino-pro-700c-150-tpi-folding-tire.jsp

Went to the skinny slick when I started training for the ride to conquer cancer on the highways. They're okay on the pathways too but you sure do feel any bumps.

2nd one looks pretty good, I'm going to give it a shot. How many KM's have you put on that thing so faR?

megavolt
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Ya I didn't want to go FULL slick, still wanted a little bit of tread on the sides for possible slippery situations.

If I check my logs... I think about 3500KM on it last summer (Mid April - Sept).

Edit: Oh... from our PM's last year it looks like I started riding it mid-March... add around 400KM on there... almost 4K.

Moonracer
11-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead
Just wanted to say that I'm impressed at the number of people I have seen commuting this week, with it being so cold out. :thumbsup:

megavolt
11-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Easy to dress for the weather. Cold is nothing.

Hard part is this time of year when it gets warm in the day and cold at night... makes a lot of icy spots for the morning commute.

Moonracer
11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Indeed, I'm either going to get studded tires or start wearing elbow pads lol

blitz
11-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm biking into work this winter, I've also been surprised at how many others are out there this week.

CLiVE
11-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Same - been biking in every day. Really isn't that cold once you get going.

Running a single speed with studded tires.

Moonracer
11-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I usually ride single speed but I'm currently running a single ring up front with an 8 speed cassette in the rear on my kona dew. I only really use 2 or 3 gears on it anyways.