PDA

View Full Version : How much an olympic gold medal is worth.

ZenOps
07-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, priceless. But in actual metal value:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-4

The gold medal in London will contain the minimum 1.5% gold plating, or six grams of gold with 400 grams of silver. The silver will be 400 grams of silver, and the Bronze will be - Bronze (copper with tin)

No love for third place, roughly equivalent to $1.60 worth of Canadian pennies.

But also no love for first place either.

supe
07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
There was a few that showed up on Pawn Stars and they always get turned away unless its won by someone notable.

JRSC00LUDE
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Gold plating?! What a joke, at least give them something of value. :nut:

clem24
07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
So what, chocolcate? It's still worth $700 due to all the silver. Obviously it'd be unfeasible if the whole medal was gold LOL.

Canmorite
07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't think the athletes are doing it for the Gold content :rofl:

ga16i
07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't know if I would call it gold plating... that usually is cheap is hell and really really thin, like a layer of paint thin. Definitely not hundreds of dollars worth (6g). This process sounds more like having a poor counterfeit of a gold piece where there's a really thin gold exterior, but filled with a less precious metal.

This year's medals are heavier?? That thing must be flava flav sized or something. Silver is nowhere near as dense as gold.

I really don't get "gold" things some times. Surely there must be laws against calling something gold when in fact it is technically not. Crap like this and things like 10K gold boggles my mind. How can something be <50% gold and still be called gold?!! It's mostly other stuff!

FraserB
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Gold plating?! What a joke, at least give them something of value. :nut:

Two rolls of nickles. on a string.

Zephyr
07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by supe
There was a few that showed up on Pawn Stars and they always get turned away unless its won by someone notable.

http://i.imgur.com/JPLDa.png

whiskas
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Two rolls of nickles. on a string.

Not just any string, Rob Anders shoe lace.

swak
07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
What kind of athlete would sell his/her olympic medal?

speedog
07-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Well, priceless. But in actual metal value:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-4

The gold medal in London will contain the minimum 1.5% gold plating, or six grams of gold with 400 grams of silver. The silver will be 400 grams of silver, and the Bronze will be - Bronze (copper with tin)

No love for third place, roughly equivalent to $1.60 worth of Canadian pennies.

But also no love for first place either. That's kind of like asking what a clapped out 90's Civic or any RHD JDM vehicle might be worth - a lot to some, but in reality...

BTW, those medals are more than worth their weight in gold when one considers the amount of sweat equity that went into them.

Xtrema
07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by swak
What kind of athlete would sell his/her olympic medal?

One that doesn't have a career after retirement.

supe
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
^^^ Its true, athletes often times have it pretty rough. Some forgo education to train and have very little after their athletic careers are over. I'm sure an olympic medal doesn't mean much when you can't put food on the table.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm sure an olympic medal doesn't mean much when you can't put food on the table.

That's why the next big thing after an Olympic medal is the Wheaties endorsement.

1barA4
07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's why the next big thing after an Olympic medal is the Wheaties endorsement.

Pretty much....there's a reason why Home Depot used to (still does?) run those commercials about how they employ more Olympic athletes than almost any other organization.

Being the best (or among the best) in the world at throwing a discus into a field in a straight line usually doesn't directly translate into career experience later in life.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 1barA4

Pretty much....there's a reason why Home Depot used to (still does?) run those commercials about how they employ more Olympic athletes than almost any other organization.

As an addendum, the reason behind this is that for Olympic-level athletes, HD basically pays them double so they can train. IIRC one day worked with pay = one day they can take off to train and still get paid for it.

98type_r
07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
A lot more companies are coming in line with hiring athletes as regular staff. Some give them entry level jobs, others more for their presence as PR or to build employee moral.

dj_patm
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
A lot more companies are coming in line with hiring athletes as regular staff. Some give them entry level jobs, others more for their presence as PR or to build employee moral.

I won't lie it would be pretty sweet to work with someone at the Olympics. For that year at least.

swak
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I had a jr high teacher that was an athlete from the 88 Games...

Rad guy, didn't have much though. Radical and inspirational guy though!

ga16i
07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
^^^ Its true, athletes often times have it pretty rough. Some forgo education to train and have very little after their athletic careers are over. I'm sure an olympic medal doesn't mean much when you can't put food on the table.

Yeah, for sure. If you're lucky you might get 2 Olympics out of an Olympic career (8 years). Even more lucky if you win and it's in a sport that people watch and give a crap about. It's like Rocky once he's no longer in his prime, and doesn't really have experience doing much else. I think cirque du soleil once almost existed solely as a place for Olympic gymnasts that's been put out to pasture to live out the rest of their almost competitive days.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

I won't lie it would be pretty sweet to work with someone at the Olympics. For that year at least.

I worked at Home Depot with Danielle Goyette back in the day (Right after Turin, IIRC), she was super nice. I introduced myself during a autograph/press event by putting on a Jason-style Home Depot hockey mask and came at her with a chainsaw I borrowed from the seasonal department. I regret nothing.

D'z Nutz
07-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I worked at Home Depot with Danielle Goyette back in the day (Right after Turin, IIRC), she was super nice. I introduced myself during a autograph/press event by putting on a Jason-style Home Depot hockey mask and came at her with a chainsaw I borrowed from the seasonal department. I regret nothing.

If I didn't know you, I'd think you were joking.

HiTempguy1
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I am not worthy, and next time I am in Calgary, would like to buy you a beer *bows down*