PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my first car!

got_mike33
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I just graduated from university and need to purchase a first car to get to and from work. I have been looking for a car for about 2 months now and haven't found any that don't need a lot of repairs or have rust issues.

I am looking for a hatchback with good fuel economy as well as enough room to fit a bike or snowboard when you fold the seats down. Also it must have a manual transmission.

I have been looking almost exclusively at the Mazda3 Sport (2007-2009) because they are cheap to run and have lots of good features (heated seats, side airbags and an aux input), but they seem to have rust issues.

I have also considered the Subaru Impreza (2008+) and Audi A3, as other contenders, but they are a bit pricier and I am not sure about the reliability of the A3 (I am looking to spend around $12000).

So questions are, is it worth it to pay more for a car that has less issues? Or are all used cars a gamble most of the time? Beyond seems to have a pretty good sense of what is a good buy! Also if anyone has any other recommendations that I haven't considered I would love to hear them!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Golf GTi

btimbit
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Why fit a bike or snowboard with the seats folded? Roof racks are awesome.

That said, since you do snowboard awd would be a good choice, so go with the Impreza.

max_boost
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
If you want reliable, get an entry level car, Civic/Corolla/Impreza etc.

If you want something a bit more cooler but may cost more in maintenance/repairs, WRX/GTI

schocker
07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Out of those I would go with the impreza. Likely the most reliable of the bunch and still ok on gas if non-turbo. Roof rack is probably a good idea though if you are bringing other people also.

Euro_Trash
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Golf GTi

+1

got_mike33
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I guess I want to minimize the cost, and a roof rack just adds to cost. That being said it will probably be something I will buy though.

Corolla/Civic aren't really considerations, a hatchback is definitely a requirement plus they look incredibly boring (imo).

GTi/WRX are going to be pretty pricey on gas and probably too much in maintenance.

I have found an impreza I am interested in, but it's about $14k. Would it be worth it to jump up another $2k in price for a car like that?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33
I guess I want to minimize the cost, and a roof rack just adds to cost. That being said it will probably be something I will buy though.

Corolla/Civic aren't really considerations, a hatchback is definitely a requirement plus they look incredibly boring (imo).

GTi/WRX are going to be pretty pricey on gas and probably too much in maintenance.

I have found an impreza I am interested in, but it's about $14k. Would it be worth it to jump up another $2k in price for a car like that?

GTis are really no different for fuel consumption or maintenance than many other cars IMO.

flipstah
07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I would get the Impreza.

The Audi is just asking for trouble. GTI + winter tires would be good too. :)

Kardon
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
JDM legacy twin turbo wagon, less rust and lower km than most imprezas ;)

speedog
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Even though the OP probably wouldn't consider it, I would have to suggest a Chev HHR if you're looking for something a bit different. I had one for 4 years and over 100,000km I only had to replace a front wheel bearing under warranty. In those 4 years, there was no rust and if you get the SS version, it'll go at a fairly good clip. Better yet, you can haul around 8 foot 2x4's in this thing with seats folded down. Heated leather seats, aux input, manual tranny, loads of airbags - the right one will have all of that. Highway MPG was around 35-36, city was around 28-29.

got_mike33
07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Even though the OP probably wouldn't consider it, I would have to suggest a Chev HHR if you're looking for something a bit different. I had one for 4 years and over 100,000km I only had to replace a front wheel bearing under warranty. In those 4 years, there was no rust and if you get the SS version, it'll go at a fairly good clip. Better yet, you can haul around 8 foot 2x4's in this thing with seats folded down. Heated leather seats, aux input, manual tranny, loads of airbags - the right one will have all of that. Highway MPG was around 35-36, city was around 28-29.

That's an interesting suggestion, but I just can't see myself driving around in it haha!

93VR6
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by speedog

YES, finally someone else that likes the HHR!

If I was considering a FWD rocket, HHR SS is hands down the winner in my book.

msommers
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2008-Subaru-Impreza-2-5i-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ389382089

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2006-Subaru-Impreza-2-5i-Sport-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ382087839

Second one you could easily get the price knocked down.

For what you're describing, these 2.5 Impreza wagons are probably your best bet. A good buddy of mine has one and it's at 350,000km without major issues.

Xtrema
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda Fit?

got_mike33
07-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda Fit just doesn't appeal to me either.

Went and test drove an A3 tonight and it was super impressive. The car's history is a bit odd though and the price is a bit low for that year. Anyone have any experience dealing with Glenmore Audi?

leftwing
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is manual transmission a requirement?

Cos
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM

gyu
07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
For 12K an MK5 GTI would be a steal, don't think OP will find one for that price. I'd also be surprised if the A3's are going for 12k.

Cos
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM

got_mike33
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I'll admit the GTi's are nice, but they seem really small to me. The A3 I am looking at is 14k all in from a dealer, and I feel like it would be hard to find a GTi with a lower price to make me jump to one of those.

I guess I would just prefer a manual, it's not necessary, but I find I get bored driving an auto.

Mazda 3 is definitely a front runner but I just can't find one that doesn't need a lot of work or have major rust issues. Those suckers are just as bad as the protege 5.

btimbit
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
A3 is about the same size as a 4 door GTI, just a more expensive less reliable version.

I still say go with the Impreza + roof rack option. I know you mentioned that you wanted to keep costs low and a roof rack adds to that, but they're pretty cheap for the amount of versatility you get. $150 for the base bars, maybe $80 for attachments.

Eleanor
07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Volkswagen-GTI-VR6-24-Valve-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ386190857

got_mike33
07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Alright so all you guys suggesting the GTI has finally convinced me to start looking at them. Found this one on Autotrader and was wondering what the Beyond community thought.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/GTI/CALGARY/Alberta/19_5676985_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Is there anything I should be looking for in this year GTI? Any problem spots or issues that should keep me away?

gulfstorm
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Get an A3 if you can afford it. The MKIV Gti is defo within your budget but if you can get MKV GTi or A3 8P you'll get better reliability and overall experience. But it would be hard to find those at your price range. There is a never ending debate b/w A3 vs GTi. Good luck

got_mike33
07-05-2012, 12:05 PM
This is the A3 I am looking at. They have told me the best they can do is $14000 all-in. I am considering walking in and offering a little less in cash and see if they bite.

http://glenmoreaudi.com/inventory/Audi+A3+4dr+HB+2.0T+Manual+Calgary+Alberta+2006+Gray5BLava+Gray+Pearl+Effect5D+31716

flipstah
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Went and test drove an A3 tonight and it was super impressive. The car's history is a bit odd though and the price is a bit low for that year. Anyone have any experience dealing with Glenmore Audi?

How is that not troubling you? :nut:

ianmcc
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Don't laugh but have you considered a domestic?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/355791/f-s-2003-ford-focus-svt-zx5-only-68000-kms/

Great little car (I have no affiliation with the seller!).
Easy to maintain, cheap to insure, good mileage and ½ the price of the other cars you are considering.
Fold the seats flat and there is a ton of room back there.
Never been a powerhouse but superb handling.

got_mike33
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

How is that not troubling you? :nut:

Haha it is... Originally a Quebec car, brought to Alberta after being bought in an auction in 2010, owned for two years, then traded in for a "2012 A3" (so says the salesman)

I just have heard too many bad things about Ford to consider anything prior to 2009/2010. Seems things have been picking up for them as of late.

btimbit
07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
That history isn't that bad, half of my cars were from out east. The A3 does seem really cheap, that's a good price.

got_mike33
07-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
That history isn't that bad, half of my cars were from out east. The A3 does seem really cheap, that's a good price.

Yeah, the price being that low makes me a little hesitant, but it is in pretty nice shape. These cars seem like a gamble though, if something goes wrong it's a pretty penny to repair.

btimbit
07-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Yeah, the price being that low makes me a little hesitant, but it is in pretty nice shape. These cars seem like a gamble though, if something goes wrong it's a pretty penny to repair.

See what George at Tunedub thinks. He's the guy to go to for that car

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I'll admit the GTi's are nice, but they seem really small to me.

They're not that small for a 2-door hatch.

Eight tires/wheels...

http://i45.tinypic.com/2q3urr6.jpg

btimbit
07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
:werd: Seat bottoms fold forward, seatbacks fold down flat. I've gotten a lot of stuff into the back of my VW before

got_mike33
07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
So I went and test drove a 2007 GTI this weekend and couldn't stand the engine noise being pumped in to the vehicle. I also found the shift was a bit harder in the GTI than it was in the A3.

Long story short I think I am going to go ahead with the purchase of the A3 at the dealership. They sent me a bill of sale and want to charge me $395 to register the car. After looking online it appears to only cost $75. Is there any way I can register the car myself and not have to pay this ridiculously inflated price?

Double Edit

I asked the salesguy and he says it's just an overhead fee... dumb, but whatever I guess.

Also I will be taking it to George at Tunedub, do I have to ask for him specifically?

lilmira
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think there is any real reason that the dealership has to register a vehicle on behalf of a customer.

Doc fee? Always negotiable, they charge as much as a lawyer does for the amount of paperwork.

got_mike33
07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Apparently I have basically have negotiated the price of the car as far down as possible. There is another interested party willing to pay more so I don't think they will negotiate with me any further unfortunately.

gulfstorm
07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Hopefully it went through as planned for you. Its a great deal considering the kms on it as well. It shouldnt be a realiability nightmare IMO as long as it was maintained properly. Enjoy the ride.

dirtsniffer
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Apparently I have basically have negotiated the price of the car as far down as possible. There is another interested party willing to pay more so I don't think they will negotiate with me any further unfortunately.

then let him buy it. don't trust the salesman

got_mike33
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by gulfstorm
Hopefully it went through as planned for you. Its a great deal considering the kms on it as well. It shouldnt be a realiability nightmare IMO as long as it was maintained properly. Enjoy the ride.

It is now conditional on it passing an inspection to my satisfaction. I am hoping this one works out, it is a nice ride.

I don't trust the salesman, but the price is right, so I am going to go for it.

got_mike33
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Also, has anybody used a mobile inspection guy named Ross? He has an ad on Kijiji and seems to know what he is talking about, but said he wasn't a certified mechanic.

I tried calling Carmine but haven't heard back yet.

btimbit
07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Also, has anybody used a mobile inspection guy named Ross? He has an ad on Kijiji and seems to know what he is talking about, but said he wasn't a certified mechanic.

I tried calling Carmine but haven't heard back yet.

Tunedub is still your best bet. No need to ask for George, he's the owner. All his guys are top notch

got_mike33
07-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Tunedub is still your best bet. No need to ask for George, he's the owner. All his guys are top notch

Unfortunately with the way the timing works I realized it isn't very feasible for me to take the car in to Tunedub. The dealership won't drive it there for me so I would have to take a substantial amount of time off work to make that happen.

Mobile is much easier and it takes a lot of the liability off me.

btimbit
07-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Unfortunately with the way the timing works I realized it isn't very feasible for me to take the car in to Tunedub. The dealership won't drive it there for me so I would have to take a substantial amount of time off work to make that happen.

Mobile is much easier and it takes a lot of the liability off me.

Makes sense. I don't know of any mobile guys myself, but best of luck to ya and I hope it all works out! You'll be thrilled with the car

got_mike33
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Makes sense. I don't know of any mobile guys myself, but best of luck to ya and I hope it all works out! You'll be thrilled with the car

Thanks man! The inspection went well so I purchased the car last night! Will be picking it up later this afternoon and I will post pics later today or tomorrow!

Also I will be posting a review of the mobile inspection guy as well as Glenmore Audi. The way I was treated by the used sales manager was a little interesting.

Pierrelogin
08-11-2012, 03:38 AM
cool and colorful car , if you looking for this then you can buy Sedan subcompact. it has four sit and door .also you can get 35 mpg on the highway. this is may be your perfect car.

speedog
08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Pierrelogin
cool and colorful car , if you looking for this then you can buy Sedan subcompact. it has four sit and door .also you can get 35 mpg on the highway. this is may be your perfect car.
What is it with some of these new users? Seriously, this newbie posts up totally irrelevant crap a month after the OP says they've purchased a car. Better yet, the newbie has a link in his sig to a used car web site in South Africa - maybe this newbie is hoping that some Beyonders are going to fly down there to pick up a few RHDers.

Sugarphreak
08-13-2012, 07:15 AM

speedog
08-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Joined August 10, 2012 - seems fairly new.