PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii in Aug/Sept

npham
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Looking to take a vacation to Hawaii in late Aug and into Sept and was wondering what people are paying for flights, hotels and car rentals. Just trying to gauge whether or not something is a good deal.

Looks like I could fly WestJet for around $13-1400 right now, hotels would be all over the map, $100-200 plus a car rental around $50-100.

taemo
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
depends which island you are going to but from my experience

$600 to $700 for flight to Oahu or Maui
$100 to $150 per night for a hotel
$200 for 7 days car rental

Stunt66
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
we just went last month and paid about $600 on a seat sale through air canada. $1300 is extremely high. $100-$150 for hotel can be had im sure but id tripadvisor that place before you booked because typically you're going to be paying $250 and up for a nice place by the main strip(my wife calls it japan lol) Go skydiving in the north shore!!!!!!!!

topher91
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Whoa that sounds like a lot!

We booked on a seat sale a few months a go to travel end of August into Sept for 8 days @ $600 return to Maui.

Maybe too late for a seat sale though??

Hope to see you there! :poosie:

Civic_Drift
07-07-2012, 08:20 PM
1300 bucks is pretty excessive, unless you're going during Christmas season.

I put in August 28 to Sept 4 on WestJet and I got 628 bucks round trip per person to Honolulu, Oahu so I'm thinking you put in 2 people instead of 1. I recommend WestJet for flying to Hawaii since you get one free checked luggage.

If you want a cheap hotel in the heart of Waikiki, look into the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. I stayed there as well as the Moana Surfrider.

npham
07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Yea, that was meant to be for 2 people so after taxes around $1300 seems pretty reasonable. I'll look into that Sheraton, but the "resort" one looked really freaking nice.

I think we are going to alter our plans just a little and fly to San Fran for 2-3 nights and then hop over to Hawaii and then take WestJet back to Vancouver/Calgary.

Any must do things?

cmodem
07-08-2012, 02:44 AM
i just returned today from kauai we flew united

700 bucks for flights (two connections which sucked but meh)
850 for 11 nights hotel (sandpiper village in princeville)
250 for a car rental for our whole time there so 11 nights.

we didn't really scan for deals too hard cuz we decided 5 weeks ago we'd go so with 3 weeks notice found those deals through expedia. The condo the gf found so don't know how she got it.

but it was in princeville which was dope near the prince course which is the 97th ranked golf course in america for 2012.

CaptainReboot
07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm going in August. Booked surfing lessons on the north shore as well as snorkeling in Hanauma Bay.

Civic_Drift
07-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by npham
Yea, that was meant to be for 2 people so after taxes around $1300 seems pretty reasonable. I'll look into that Sheraton, but the "resort" one looked really freaking nice.

I think we are going to alter our plans just a little and fly to San Fran for 2-3 nights and then hop over to Hawaii and then take WestJet back to Vancouver/Calgary.

Any must do things?

Are you talking about the Sheraton Waikiki? Stayed there once and it was awesome especially their Infinity Pool & restaurants!

Definitely check out some local food places like Rainbow Drive In, have shaved ice, and hike Diamond Head.

taemo
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Any must do things?

there's a lot of must do Oahu threads on the forum already, look them up

but for us, our must do in Oahu
- diamond head
- hanauma bay
- walk along ala moana strip
- matsumoto shave ice at haleiwa
- shrimp food trucks

if you mean San Francisco
- alcatraz
- brooklyn bridge
- walk along downtown, chinatown
- twin peaks view
- drive along PCH

npham
07-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Yup, that's the one we are thinking of. Trying to see if we can get a good deal on that place since it will be "low" season for Hawaii.

How much did you pay to stay there?

Originally posted by Civic_Drift

Are you talking about the Sheraton Waikiki? Stayed there once and it was awesome especially their Infinity Pool & restaurants!

Definitely check out some local food places like Rainbow Drive In, have shaved ice, and hike Diamond Head.

98type_r
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
We stayed a week in the Sheraton Waikiki (not the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani), it was free because I used up a ton of Starwood points I accumulated over the years. :D It's not low season in Hawaii until October, which is when the rainy season starts, or at least that's what the Hotel staff told us. I think the best going rate if I would have booked not using points was around $200/night plus the $20/day resort fee. You could probably save some money by not renting a car the entire time.

msommers
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Added tip, use priceline for car rentals.

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Last 3 times I've been to Hawaii have all been around $550/person ALL IN round trip on West Jet (both Kauai and Oahu). Always July/August. That includes the Calgary/Vancouver connection. I'd never pay anywhere near $1000 to come here (I'm there right now lol). $1300 for 2 still seems a bit spendy, but that's not bad if you consider you can spend $1500 for just 1 ticket if you wanted to.

Inter island flights are around $120-185. Book early if you want a early morning flight, if not you'll be fine as nobody wants the afternoon ones.

We've not paid more tan $13/day on Oahu or Kauai for a Chevy Malibu, Hyundai SantaFe, or a huge 2011 Ford Explorer limited (POS by the way, but it's convenient). On Maui it was about double that for no other reason than it's Maui and everything is more expensive there haha.

npham
07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Looks like flights will be $1400 to fly down to San Fran United and then Westjet home($150 for a shorter flight through Van instead of SFO/LAX). I don't think that's unreasonable but I'm not sure how you are getting these wicked deals for under $100 for flights unless you wait for sales to Hawaii.

Prelude_dude
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
In honolulu right now. Bought tickets seat sale from westjet, connecting fight in vancouver. 550 each ticket

oz388
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
How much do you guys pay for the parking at honolulu? Any cheap parking spot recommendation?

npham
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Not going to bother renting a car in Honolulu. I might get a car for the day to drive to the North Shore, but otherwise, walking, buses, taxi's should be more than enough. We did rent one in Maui though, as it's a pain to get around without one I hear.

taemo
08-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by oz388
How much do you guys pay for the parking at honolulu? Any cheap parking spot recommendation?

from my post on one of the oahu thread

Originally posted by taemo
tip: cheapest waikiki parking spot that I know of is at the Aston Waikiki Banyan.
10$ for 24hrs

in Honolulu, I parked front of Iolani palace for a couple of bucks and same in Chinatown.

2Legit2Quit
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM
That's steep for what I paid last year. OP did you check dates for Westjet's hawaii sale right now?

msommers
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Not going to bother renting a car in Honolulu. I might get a car for the day to drive to the North Shore, but otherwise, walking, buses, taxi's should be more than enough. We did rent one in Maui though, as it's a pain to get around without one I hear.

Yeah getting around Maui without a car would be a major pain in the ass and I doubt you'd see nearly as much.

As for Oahu, they have a fantastic bus system and so even if you wanted to hit the North Shore for the day, there is a bus that will take you there. I knew this before going however I still rented a car anyways.

shadowz
08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Just booked for October there's a 24 hour sale on Westjet that ends today

$1000 round trip for the lady and I, $700 for rental and hotel. Honolulu/Waikiki

npham
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
Just booked for October there's a 24 hour sale on Westjet that ends today

$1000 round trip for the lady and I, $700 for rental and hotel. Honolulu/Waikiki

That's a great deal. I ended up paying about $1600 for our flights but we are going to SF first, then to Honolulu, then Maui, then back to Honolulu and then Vancouver to Calgary. Would have been less if we didn't make the decision to include Maui on this trip(added $250) to the flights.

shadowz
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM

That's a great deal. I ended up paying about $1600 for our flights but we are going to SF first, then to Honolulu, then Maui, then back to Honolulu and then Vancouver to Calgary. Would have been less if we didn't make the decision to include Maui on this trip(added $250) to the flights.

Your flight costs sound like a pretty good price especially routing to SF

npham
08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Another question to those who have been to Oahu or Maui, has anyone gone deep sea fishing? We are trying to figure out if one place is better than another for fishing, but I suspect it will be similar and it really comes down to the boat and captain.

Recommendations? I've googled quite a few places but none of them seem to stand out against the rest.