PDA

View Full Version : Replacing interior doors. Pre-hung or slab?

B20EF
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I want to replace my 40 year old cheap interior doors with some standard six panels or something decent from totem, Home Depot etc..

I have never replaced a door before but I am pretty handy and not worried about figuring it out. They are all standard sizes 18,30,32,36.

Can you rip out the jam and put in prehung doors without ripping up the floor? I'm not quite sure how to do the bottom of the door. Or should I just get slabs and hope they fit right?

frozenrice
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
What kind of flooring are you talking about?

B20EF
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Mostly just carpet. Into the bathrroms would be half carpet, half lino or tile.
So I assume you're asking because the bottom of the door jam is basically flush with the sub floor?

blitz
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
If the jams are in good shape, just replace the door itself. I've done both in my reno, and just door is definitely a lot easier.

Because hinge locations can vary, you'll need to get a door hinge template and router a spot for it (the door comes completely blank, no spots for hinges, no spot for a doorknob).

I used Timbertown for all mine, they were great to deal with.

78si
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Timbertown has a door shop. They can machine new slabs to match yours.

frozenrice
07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
That's right. In new construction the jamb is raised off the subfloor by about 3/8" and the flooring is "tucked" underneath. Depending on your scenario, you could undercut the old jamb flush to the existing floor and put your new door jamb over top the old "stump".

Ntense_SpecV
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I used Timbertown for all mine, they were great to deal with.

I also used Timbertown for the door slab replacement. They will take your old doors and use them as templates to scribe for the hinge locations and hole cut for the doorknobs. Now keep in mind that I had to do a whole bunch of messing around to actually get them to fit 100%. This included:
Planing the doors (wouldn't close without rubbing the frame)
Adjusting the hinge locations (too many coats of paint on the originals made them out of wack)
Fixing a piece of the doorknob with a chisel (routered just slightly too small).

However, this was quite minor to tearing out old metal frames, fixing the drywall and a bunch of other things. I would definitely do it again. Oh and painting doors is a pain in the ass.