PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 London Olympics Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

davidI
07-04-2012, 01:27 AM
I just scored tickets to Beach Volleyball and Judo! I can't wait...

Anyone else going to the Olympics this year?

Perceptionist
07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll be there from the 2nd to the 5th, but I don't have tickets to any events. I got on it way too late, and the only tickets that were left when I checked a few weeks ago were all really expensive.

What do you think the city will be like during the games? Will there be lots of activities going on that won't require tickets? Would it be a bad idea to try to see some of the sights around London during the games?

littledan
07-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I'll be watching Egypt vs Brasil soccer in Cardiff! :clap: :clap:

davidI
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist
I'll be there from the 2nd to the 5th, but I don't have tickets to any events. I got on it way too late, and the only tickets that were left when I checked a few weeks ago were all really expensive.

What do you think the city will be like during the games? Will there be lots of activities going on that won't require tickets? Would it be a bad idea to try to see some of the sights around London during the games?

Keep watching the CoSport site. I bought both of my tickets in the last week and they were for August 2nd and 3rd. They are price though...$250+. I heard the soccer tickets are available for <$100 though so maybe look into that.

Just speaking to friends in London, they expect it to be quite busy. I think there will be a lot of great activities going on that are free - but I haven't done too much research on that yet.

I'm sure you'll still be able to site-see, but it may be more difficult to get around as I would expect the tube to be quite busy!

Tram Common
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I might jump over there for a week to join my two good friends who will both be there covering them for CBC.

Not really sure what to see, press pass opens every event up.

davidI
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Awesome opportunity to go with the press pass! I would love to check out the Athletic events but the only tickets I could find were $1400. Boxing would probably be pretty cool too. The beach volleyball is the main event I wanted to see though :poosie:

~Leah~
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by davidI
The beach volleyball is the main event I wanted to see though :poosie:

Shocker, Dave... lol ;)

lasimmon
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
The beach volley ball girls... :barf:

2.2vtec
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Go Egypt!

davidI
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
The beach volley ball girls... :barf:

You're right, they're hideous. :rofl:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_epK1HtfhdQw/SKImabSIPsI/AAAAAAAACJg/fFUSSJtE60M/s320/volleyball-girls-008-717828.jpg

http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Canadian-duos-head-to-Mexico-for-Olympic-Qualifiers-Volleyball-News-164231.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_epK1HtfhdQw/SKImZk4tBGI/AAAAAAAACI4/Yy0-KKg1BLY/s1600/volleyball-girls-003-714357.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_epK1HtfhdQw/SKIma9UFNXI/AAAAAAAACJ4/oGX81jRuTZo/s1600/volleyball-girls-011-719440.jpg

Perceptionist
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Here's a good article for anyone else that's going to be in London, but doesn't have event tickets:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/london/travel-tips-and-articles/77366

I picked up some free 'guaranteed entry' tickets through ticketmaster to Hyde Park, which is the biggest public viewing area. Here's the website that shows what events and activities are going on in Hyde and Victoria Parks:
http://www.btlondonlive.com/

KRyn
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I would kill to see the Olympic Weight lifting event! What are the price range on tickets to events (cheapest to most expensive)?

davidI
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Cheapest I saw were $240 Canadian and the most expensive I saw were $1390 Canadian.

There are some really cheap tix for the soccer though. And you can view some of the courses for free (distance events in the streets).

I did see weight lifting tickets available for $240 a while ago, but I'm sure they're gone by now. Keep checking the site though as people will release and re-sell tix.

Dave P
07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
So what are the best pubs in London?

davidI
07-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
So what are the best pubs in London?

They are all over. Whatever is in the neighborhood I would say.

Bladeh
07-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Cheapest I saw were $240 Canadian and the most expensive I saw were $1390 Canadian.

There are some really cheap tix for the soccer though. And you can view some of the courses for free (distance events in the streets).

I did see weight lifting tickets available for $240 a while ago, but I'm sure they're gone by now. Keep checking the site though as people will release and re-sell tix.

They'd have to pay me to watch the mens Team GB soccer team...... awful!

Good start yesterday to the Olympics from the organizers with North Korea soccer team having a South Korea flag :facepalm:

Kg810
07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Shittiest opening ceremony ever. This was basically the most expensive children's school play in history lolz...

ducaudi
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Kg810
Shittiest opening ceremony ever. This was basically the most expensive children's school play in history lolz...

LOL, I gotta see this when I get home. I PVR'd it.

darthVWader
07-27-2012, 03:24 PM
The Beyond logo looks awesome!!!!!! Nice touch :thumbsup:

Cos
07-27-2012, 03:37 PM

jsn
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Loved the Mr. Bean part though. Used to love that show as a kid

Moonracer
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
It's not exactly done yet.

86max
07-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I found it odd that everything was introduced in french first. Squeak squeak

canadian_hustla
07-27-2012, 09:28 PM

the industrial revolution part was absolutely AWESOME, like far exceeded expectations and will be memorable. I also enjoyed the 70000 candle pixel screens in the audience.

everything else sucked lol

CanmoreOrLess
07-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 86max

I found it odd that everything was introduced in french first. Squeak squeak

I too thought it odd, maybe I only noticed as the opening was soooooo freakin' boring. The Chinese are way beyond the crap London put out there. Anyway, I looked it up.

Because the founder of the Modern Olympic Games was French, and the Headquarters of the International Olympic Committee is located in Switzerland.

English is also an official language of the Olympics. When announcements are made at the Games, they are made in the following order: French, English, and the language of the host country.

beecue
07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
If you want access to all events use the BBC stream.

Install expatshield to get a UK IP.

http://www.expatshield.com/

Then go here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

a social dsease
07-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Anyone else watching the Brazil-Belarus soccer game on Omni? Can't understand a thing the Portugese commentators are saying but they are hilarious!

BMW Power
07-29-2012, 10:53 PM
lol, the police lost the keys to Wembley stadium :facepalm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180857/Olympic-security-farce-Wembley-keys-lost-First-G4S-fiasco--police-admit-shocking-stadium-breach.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

sexualbanana
07-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by BMW Power
lol, the police lost the keys to Wembley stadium :facepalm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180857/Olympic-security-farce-Wembley-keys-lost-First-G4S-fiasco--police-admit-shocking-stadium-breach.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

This story is pretty funny....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181056/London-2012-Olympics-The-swimmer-waterwings.html?ICO=most_read_module

bigbadboss101
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Germany's women beach volleyball team. Goller.... cute!

bourge73
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Mmmm Brazil womens Beach Volleyball mmmmmm

lasimmon
07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
^^ only team I have seen that has a girl with tits.

95EagleAWD
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Germany's women beach volleyball team. Goller.... cute!

Very!!

msommers
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
^^ only team I have seen that has a girl with tits.

Czech had one pretty hot girl

D'z Nutz
07-31-2012, 06:32 PM
What the fuck channel are you guys watching? I'm just seeing swimming and judo! haha

sputnik
08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
:rofl:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/01/8-badminton-players-thrown-out-of-olympics-for-trying-to-lose/?hpt=hp_t1

I am pretty sure this will be a popular discussion topic among the Chinese community.

GTS4tw
08-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/01/8-badminton-players-thrown-out-of-olympics-for-trying-to-lose/?hpt=hp_t1

I am pretty sure this will be a popular discussion topic among the Chinese community.

How about the female swimmer setting a world record and beating the mens gold medal time for the first time ever in history....oh and shes 16. Its amazing how much faster the swimming times get every year, one sport where there are still big surprises.

lilmira
08-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Didn't watch the match. If losing a match will get you better result at the end, I can't blame them. They could have lost the game a bit more elegantly I suppose.

About the chinese girl beating Lockte's split time, if they find that she's doping then sure pick up the stones and start throwing. Before that happens, it's pretty unfair to accuse and deny her effort for such performance.

dj_patm
08-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

Didn't watch the match. If losing a match will get you better result at the end, I can't blame them. They could have lost the game a bit more elegantly I suppose.

About the chinese girl beating Lockte's split time, if they find that she's doping then sure pick up the stones and start throwing. Before that happens, it's pretty unfair to accuse and deny her effort for such performance.

She's probably one of those dudes that has a vagina.

Like that runner at the track world championships a few years ago... "she" was born with testicles where her overies should be (I think... something like that) so she produces testostorone like a man.

Found the link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549021,00.html

indicate that Semenya is intersex, with both male and female sexual characteristics. The tests reportedly show that Semenya has no uterus or ovaries, and that she has three times more testosterone than a normal woman.

It would be unheard of for a women to be competitive with the top men at the olympic level in any athletic event. I garuntee something is up.

Manhattan
08-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Blame the organizers for this. The same thing happens in every sport if you get a better result from throwing a game or two, its just part of the winning strategy. Playoff teams tank all the time to get a more favorable matchup. They're not "fixing" the matches to make money. They're just taking advantage of a poorly designed system.

lilmira
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
South Korean fencer turns down special medal at the Olympics (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/south-korean-fencer-turns-down-special-medal-olympics-142150138.html)

WTF! We'll give you a SPECIAL MEDAL for ruining your chance for a gold medal. Nice try officials.

D'z Nutz
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Haha fuck I love the Olympics. Not so much because of the national unity and pride or crap like that, but because of all the controversy that transpires.

speedog
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
youtube vid of one of the noted badminton matches - please note that these vids are being knocked down quite quickly by youtube...
s8wKciVnrxc

lilmira
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Haha, that's pretty bad. That's just asking for trouble. They could have made it a bit more entertaining unless the other team doesn't want to win neither.

speedog
08-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Haha, that's pretty bad. That's just asking for trouble. They could have made it a bit more entertaining unless the other team doesn't want to win neither. I believe in the case of the Koreans against the Chinese in the above that both teams were intent on losing so as to hopefully provide an easy path to the medal rounds.

lilmira
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
It's even more difficult to lose when no one wants to win, the match would go on forever lol.

davidI
08-02-2012, 04:50 AM
I am at Judo today and Beach Volleyball tomorrow. I am wearing a cow hat and Canadian flag to show some Alberta and National pride. Watch for me!

kenny
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Will Naughty or Nice triumph at the XXX Olympics?

http://l.yimg.com/os/en/blogs/sptusolyexperts/An-edition-of-The-Mx-depicting-North-and-South-Korea-as-Naughty-and-Nice-Korea-Twitter.jpg

2.2vtec
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know what time the Egypt vs Japan football match is tomorrow? I keep getting conflicting times on the internet?

I also doubt it will be televised?

sexualbanana
08-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I think Serena Williams just made history by doing the first ever crip walk at the Olympics

davidI
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Saw the triathlon yesterday morning from the unticketed area. It was great fun! Loads of people were out to watch it!

D'z Nutz
08-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I think Serena Williams just made history by doing the first ever crip walk at the Olympics

Haha fuck I thought you were joking when you said that. Awesome

4NdwN8r9-WA

sexualbanana
08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Haha fuck I thought you were joking when you said that. Awesome

4NdwN8r9-WA

I never joke about c-walking

sexualbanana
08-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Anyone know where I could find a digital copy of the USA-Lithuania basketball game for my computer?

/////AMG
08-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Bolts pace just gets better and better. Olympic record!

J-hop
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Bolts pace just gets better and better. Olympic record!

Yea that was amazing, I couldn't believe how fast that guy is.

How much taller was he than the other people he was running against? He seemed to stand well above the rest and had a giant stride!

Edit: just looked it up, he is 6'5", is that tall for a sprinter?

ZenOps
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Throwing a game isn't against the rules.

Many qualifiers will "let up" near the finish line if they know they are in the top two for qualification. Sprinters are never required to "give their all" until the final medal round. Conserving your energy and/or playing extremely safely in that you don't want to risk an injury knowing that you have already made a qualification spot is nothing new either. Judges messed it up, as usual.

North Korea #4 gold, Kim Jong Un is happy happy joy joy.

ducaudi
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Absolutely amazing performance by Usain Bolt.

black_2.5RS
08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
U.S. judoka disqualified from Olympics for marijuana

In a statement provided by the U.S. Olympic Committee, Delpopolo said his positive test was caused by his “inadvertent consumption of food that I did not realize had been baked with marijuana” before the games.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/judoka+disqualified+from+Olympics+marijuana/7047173/story.html#ixzz22mZq2zVR

I'm sure it was in the food. Way to blow four years down the tube. :facepalm:

J-hop
08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
^ yea, I'm pretty sure as an Olympic athlete with the games nearing you shouldn't be eating a single thing not approved by your trainer. Something tells me brownies fedexed to him from Ross Rebagliati aren't on the menu :rofl:

I wish athletes like that would at least be honest. Don't insult your fans intelligence by making up some far fetched story.

ZenOps
08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I dunno, the raw tonnage that BC and California puts out is staggering nowadays. Its like a kid with a severe peanut or shellfish allergy is very unlikely to survive to 35 without an epipen.

I mean really, you have a chance of catching any number of 722 different dieseases just by touching a US $1 dollar bill. Heck, you have a good chance of obtaining an illegal dose of cocaine just by handing a US $100 bill, ahah.

Canada women soccer loses on the worst ref calls I've seen in a while.

Type_S1
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Canadian Woman's soccer got boned hard by retarded ref's...sad to see something happen like that

msommers
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah the girls got royally fucked over today. Not sure how the game would have turned out if Sinclair wasn't playing but either way, that should have been their game.

ZenOps
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
The tying goal penalty was because of "time wasting" by the goalkeeper right? They weren't very clear on it.

D'z Nutz
08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
What happened with women's soccer?

ZorroAMG
08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Typical american ego with that broad Alex Morgan commenting at the end: "In the end it was who was fitter, who was stronger and who wanted it more"
No. It was a bullshit win, the americans were COMPLETELY outplayed.

The american ego in the olympics is disgusting. I am glad the Romanian girl got gold over the inflated ego of Maroney. Maroney was totally rude after her loss and quite unsportsmanlike.

msommers
08-06-2012, 07:24 PM
That's actually really disappointing to hear about that annoucer. I wouldn't say canada completely outplayed them, because the US had their moments, but really for me this game down to 3 majorly TERRIBLE calls.

1) Ref calls what is likely a delay of game but could also be a handball by the keeper, who didn't even go out of the keeper lines when kicking the ball up the field. I honestly don't know how long the keeper was holding the ball but really, no one fucking calls that kinda shit when the game is that close in the olympics.

2) From that call, there was an indirect kick inside the box and a CDN player protecting herself gets called for a deliberate hand ball which leads to a penalty kick, which tied up the US 3-3. IMO with ~10 minutes left, I betting we would have won the game.

3) There was also a terrible corner kick call for the US, where the ball went completely over the back line.

There were other calls that were minor but build up in numbers and just piss me off. After that I went out TV shopping because I couldn't be bothered watching the remainder of game. The girls had their game completely stripped from them.

In other news, the men's Rings champion for the last 4 olympics from China lost out to this guy from Brazil who was pulling insane moves. Makes me wanna try it haha.

sexualbanana
08-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by msommers
That's actually really disappointing to hear about that annoucer. I wouldn't say canada completely outplayed them, because the US had their moments, but really for me this game down to 3 majorly TERRIBLE calls.

1) Ref calls what is likely a delay of game but could also be a handball by the keeper, who didn't even go out of the keeper lines when kicking the ball up the field. I honestly don't know how long the keeper was holding the ball but really, no one fucking calls that kinda shit when the game is that close in the olympics.

2) From that call, there was an indirect kick inside the box and a CDN player protecting herself gets called for a deliberate hand ball which leads to a penalty kick, which tied up the US 3-3. IMO with ~10 minutes left, I betting we would have won the game.

3) There was also a terrible corner kick call for the US, where the ball went completely over the back line.

1 was one of those cals that no one would have noticed if it went uncalled. Which is really the most painful part about it.

It's difficult to say whether we would've won because, to my untrained eyes, the US seemed to have been doing a good job responding to Canadian goals in the 2nd half.

The most horrific miscall was #3, though. Because it was right at the 90:00 mark, that call would've had a direct outcome on the match.

I think that on their own, each incident could be called non-consequential and a mistake, but I think when they're put together, it makes for a questionable game by the ref.

lasimmon
08-06-2012, 09:13 PM
The indirect was a poor call.

The hand ball was the correct call. Regardless if it's accidental any hand touching of the ball in the box on a shot directed at goal, has to be called.

msommers
08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Uhh no. If you're protecting yourself and the ball hits you, it's not a handball. Go ahead and stand in the wall without your hands on your crotch and see how that goes. It's grey area call in this particular case but personally I believe it was the wrong one based on protecting.

SilverGS
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM

There were other calls that were minor but build up in numbers and just piss me off. After that I went out TV shopping because I couldn't be bothered watching the remainder of game. The girls had their game completely stripped from them.

In other news, the men's Rings champion for the last 4 olympics from China lost out to this guy from Brazil who was pulling insane moves. Makes me wanna try it haha.

There was also a fairly deliberate handball by an American in the box that went uncalled. Should have been a penalty shot for Canada since the American defender went to play the ball and it hit her in the arm. That goes uncalled but a Canadian player looking away gets called for a handball??? O.o

lasimmon
08-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Uhh no. If you're protecting yourself and the ball hits you, it's not a handball. Go ahead and stand in the wall without your hands on your crotch and see how that goes. It's grey area call in this particular case but personally I believe it was the wrong one based on protecting.

That is true, if your arm is in front of your body and this a part of your body.

Her arm was off to the left and the ball was going past her, so her arm stopped it from going towards the goal. Thus a handball.

msommers
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I tried looking around for a video or photo of the incident but can't find anything yet. But watching the replays right after and a highlight reel, I would have to disagree about her described arm placement.

In the end, was that the game decider? Maybe but Canada had one player score all their goals and the US answered us back pretty quickly, twice. In a game so close in skill though the reffing can't be a factor and in this game, it was questionable on more than one occassion.

Phl0xed
08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
The difference between a hand ball penalty and an incidental hand ball is quite simple in theory. To call the penalty it is supposed to be "hand meets ball". This case was clearly "ball meets hand", as she was just turning her body to avoid being hit in the upper chest/face. Regardless, the indirect leading up to that play was a god awful call. The ref decided the fate of the game in one terrible call.

There was plenty of poor officiating decisions throughout the entire game, truthfully. The amount of times Wambach went unpenalized after stomping on the top of cleats was at ridiculous. Then Tancredi stiff arms a defender and gets called. The Canadian girls could have done nothing more. They played a hell of a game and then some. The better team yesterday lost the game, no doubt about that.

What irked me the most, however, was that post game interview with Morgan. As was stated earlier: Such a typical, egotistical attitude. All in all, that game yesterday made me sick to my stomach.

rage2
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Best Dive ever... LOL

d3G_AMcihWU

eiysa101
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Bahaha swanton bomb!

lilmira
08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
What was he sinking?

msommers
08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Copyrighted and removed :(

sputnik
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
What was he sinking?

Nice.

gmOTpIVxji8

Phl0xed
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Ruh roh:

FIFA Investigating Canadian Women's Post-Match Actions

"Following the Olympic women's semi-final match between Canada and the USA played at Old Trafford on the evening of 6 August, the FIFA disciplinary committee is currently analyzing incidents that occurred after the conclusion of the match.

"Further information will be provided only after the committee are in possession of all the elements of the case."

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/field-sports/news/article/fifa-investigating-canadian-women-post-match-actions.html?cid=rsstsn

adam c
08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
Ruh roh:

FIFA Investigating Canadian Women's Post-Match Actions

&quot;Following the Olympic women's semi-final match between Canada and the USA played at Old Trafford on the evening of 6 August, the FIFA disciplinary committee is currently analyzing incidents that occurred after the conclusion of the match.

&quot;Further information will be provided only after the committee are in possession of all the elements of the case.&quot;

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/field-sports/news/article/fifa-investigating-canadian-women-post-match-actions.html?cid=rsstsn

The refereeing in that game was terrible

403ep3
08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I have money on some players and the coach getting fined for their "actions."

Phl0xed
08-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by adam c

The refereeing in that game was terrible

Watch out, you might be investigated by FIFA for that comment! :rolleyes:

Of all organizations... FIFA is the one investigating this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but how many times a year does FIFA itself get investigated for corruption and match fixing? The irony is killing me. Haha. The Olympic soccer referees belong to FIFA, as well. If anything, they should be investigating their own consistency and decisions of the referees! :dunno:

Ah well, what's done is done. Let's hope Canada doesn't get screwed out of another medal.

Originally posted by 403ep3
I have money on some players and the coach getting fined for their &quot;actions.&quot;

Wouldn't be surprised. But honestly, if its the comments they're referring to, that's a load of crap. Look at what happened to them in that emotional game. Then you have reporters shoving a camera in their face a minute later asking for them to comment? I'd say they're pretty professional and extremely filtered, all things considered.

There's many reasons why I could not be an Olympic athlete, but if I could... This would be the nail in my coffin! Darn reporters.

borN
08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Am I the only person who thinks the US were the better team? I thought our defense was actually pretty terrible in a lot of sequences. They had to make some pretty risky tackles in the box because of some sloppy plays...and there was definitely a lot of dirty moves as the game wore on (by both teams, but most of the noticable ones to me were from our team).

I mean, a corner kick goal is one of a few examples of how sloppy some plays were...

Given the chances though, our offense played pretty well. And yes, I agree the ref was brutal, but I also thought our goalie was pretty brutal as well.

SilverGS
08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by borN
Am I the only person who thinks the US were the better team? I thought our defense was actually pretty terrible in a lot of sequences. They had to make some pretty risky tackles in the box because of some sloppy plays...and there was definitely a lot of dirty moves as the game wore on (by both teams, but most of the noticable ones to me were from our team).

I mean, a corner kick goal is one of a few examples of how sloppy some plays were...

Given the chances though, our offense played pretty well. And yes, I agree the ref was brutal, but I also thought our goalie was pretty brutal as well.

Outside of the keeping the ball long, which she was told to do, I thought she was agressive when she needed to be. The corner goal was the only one she should have had. No one was getting that second goal same with the penalty shot.

Type_S1
08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Outside of the keeping the ball long, which she was told to do, I thought she was agressive when she needed to be. The corner goal was the only one she should have had. No one was getting that second goal same with the penalty shot.

The winning goal she should have had....

SilverGS
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

The winning goal she should have had....

Because she is 7 feet tall? That ball was right at the top bar. I think most guy goalies would have had a tough time with the placement of that header.

sexualbanana
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I have money on some players and the coach getting fined for their &quot;actions.&quot;

Obviously. Coaches and players get fined all the time when they criticize the refs. This isn't really that groundbreaking.

Phl0xed
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Because she is 7 feet tall? That ball was right at the top bar. I think most guy goalies would have had a tough time with the placement of that header.

Bingo. Your previous comment was almost bang on. That corner kick goal is frowned upon even in children's soccer! However, it wasn't actually the keeper's responsibility to play the near post. In that situation, she plays the back post until she's sure of the ball's position. It was actually Scott's job to cover the near post. The ball slipped through her and Sinclair attempted to stop it from making it through. Sadly, the ball then deflected from Sinclair past McLeod, the keeper.

Just a terrible sequence of events, really. The other three goals the keeper had absolutely no chance on. In fact, she saved them near the end of play on a similar header to the winning goal. Wambach had it almost perfectly placed, but there was no downward force on it. The keeper managed to jump and just get the smallest of touches on the ball, allowing it to hit the crossbar.

Canada's defense was exposed yesterday, for sure. They didn't defend like they did in the quarter finals against Great Britain. Absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind of that. But they didn't play horribly either. Until that tying goal, I believe possession and stats were very similar. After that, the USA took over.

In the end, the stars aligned for the wrong side! Gotta be good to get lucky and get lucky to be good.

eiysa101
08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by borN

I'm with you on this. USA had more possession and were on the attack for what seemed to be the entire 2nd half.

Canadians had great offense when they had chances but USA had more pressure.

msommers
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Meh the girls said what everyone was thinking. Anyone who has lost a game like that are pissed the whole drive home and these girls were asked right after the game.

The latest with an indirect interview with the ref from that game:

Rolf Pedersen explained that his daughter told him that she also warned Canadian captain Christine Sinclair that her goalkeeper was hanging onto the ball for more than the allotted six seconds.

Pedersen said his daughter told him that McLeod was holding the ball for up to 11 seconds when Canada was in the lead.

"When the score was 0-0, 1-1, 2-2," he said, "the goalie was much faster."

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/story/2012/08/07/olympics-us-canada-soccer-ref.html

Which is interesting given the CDN keeper said the ref didn't even warn her. Amazing how much talk there has been about this match. Moreover about the handball:

Norwegian soccer great Hallvar Thoresen, now a sports commentator, told Norwegian papers that the initial delay of game call wasn't so bad, but he disagreed with the ensuing handball call which led to the U.S. penalty kick.

"In general, I think she judged very good, but she has the crucial situation with the penalty, which I think is wrong. To give a penalty there must be a degree of wilfulness in the picture," Thoresen told the Oslo-based Dagbladet newspaper.

He said the ball was launched into the hand of Canada's Nault via some other players and that her arm wasn't in an unnatural position.

"It happened so fast, [Nault] could not possibly get away," Thoresen said.

phreezee
08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Wambach admitted to standing by the ref and counting out loud to influence the delay of game call.

msommers
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Which is a total dick move but players dive all the time (unfortunately) to get calls in their favour and her counting is no exception. The ref has to be able to filter this crap out and make the right decisions. Not easy with so many eyes watching but still, makes me pissed just thinking about it lol.

sexualbanana
08-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Which is a total dick move but players dive all the time (unfortunately) to get calls in their favour and her counting is no exception. The ref has to be able to filter this crap out and make the right decisions. Not easy with so many eyes watching but still, makes me pissed just thinking about it lol.

In a lot of sports, at least at the grassroots level, you'd get penalized for trying to manipulate the refs like that. Not to say that's what should've happened because refs at that level are also expected to be able to filter that kind of stuff out.

Phl0xed
08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
There's no doubt that the delay of game was 'technically' the right call. But when does it EVER get called? The point is consistency. I don't mind if the refs are making that call, but let's see it happen in every match, every time there's a "delay of game".

Sounds like McLeod was right, the ref didn't warn her. She went to Sinclair instead. Much less effective 'warning' system... Not only that, but typically a yellow card is given first on that call.

I have to tip my hat to Wambach for what she did. No matter how much I despise how she went about "swaying" the ref, good on her. Gamesmanship to the highest degree. I'm just glad we didn't see anymore cart wheels and ridiculous goal celebrations like they did against every other team.

borN
08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
There's no doubt that the delay of game was 'technically' the right call. But when does it EVER get called? The point is consistency. I don't mind if the refs are making that call, but let's see it happen in every match, every time there's a &quot;delay of game&quot;.

Sounds like McLeod was right, the ref didn't warn her. She went to Sinclair instead. Much less effective 'warning' system... Not only that, but typically a yellow card is given first on that call.

I have to tip my hat to Wambach for what she did. No matter how much I despise how she went about &quot;swaying&quot; the ref, good on her. Gamesmanship to the highest degree. I'm just glad we didn't see anymore cart wheels and ridiculous goal celebrations like they did against every other team.

There was no official warning during the game, but one of the assistant referees did warn McLeod at half-time about the delay of game. I was pretty bummed about the whole game post match, but after re-watching bits of it, I can see why the delay of game was called. A few instances where she held the ball for 15+ seconds, which is pretty long.

What I don't agree with though is the indirect free kick. In most football leagues, the goalie gets a yellow for a delay of game. I've personally never seen an indirect like that..

Not to stir the pot, but some professionals are even commenting that it was an understandable call.

""Watching it again," said Rennie, who's as meticulous as they come, "I realized in the first half the goal-keeper held the ball for 16 seconds, in the second half she held it for 17 seconds, and then she got called for holding it for 13 seconds. That's a long time on the ball, and I under-stand why the ref called it." - Whitecap's Coach

Although, I might be biased because I thought McLeod had a crappy game...;)

Phl0xed
08-08-2012, 09:44 AM
No disagreement from me. I'm not a fan of McLeod. I don't think she had a terrible game, but it wasn't the best performance either.

Ah well, all we can do now is believe that they will come out for the Bronze medal with a fiery ambition. You just know Sinclair is going to be fired up. Let's hope she can drag the rest of the team into that same state of mind. Regardless of how the tournament ends for them, they far and above exceeded most people's expectations. They've also gone further than any other Canadian footy team in the Olympics. If they medal, it will be the first time since 1936 that Canada has been on the podium in a traditional team sport at the summer olympics.

SilverGS
08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
That's the thing. We talk about Wombach's gamesmanship in influencing the ref with her counting but she did it because she knew teams with the lead employ slow down strategies, especially Canada. Canada wanted to slow it down and US wanted to speed it up. In the end the ref has to realize this and not be influenced into making rash calls. Was it within the rulebooks? Sure it was? Is it ever called or officiated that way? Apparently not since no one can recall such an incident.

I have no doubt Mcleod was instructed to hold the ball a bit longer to slow the game down when they were in the lead. She is not the first and won't be the last.

In the end it wasn't even that call that was the worst of all. It was the handball call that led to the penalty kick. Sure the first call led to the kick that caused the handball call but if the ref didn't call a handball and penalty kick none of this would even be an issue. I have not read anyone support the handball call being correct. That was the biggest error by the ref that changed the outcome of this game.

stevieo
08-08-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/field-sports/news/article/game-over-for-controversial-women-soccer-referee.html?cid=rsstsn

Game Over for Controversial Women's Soccer Referee

borN
08-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Congratz to the women's soccer team on the bronze!