PDA

View Full Version : How much $$$ your degree gets you...

Super_Geo
02-06-2004, 01:29 PM
An average of starting salaries for all the major diciplines. It doesn't tell you how hard it'd be to find work, but for those who did here's what they're making:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/05/pf/college/lucrative_degrees/index.htm?cnn=yes

Kinda interesting. Haha, shows where that psychology degree gets you :poosie:

Davetronz
02-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Sweet, im at the top of that list ;)
Not as high as I am only a technologist but still :D

RiCE-DaDDy
02-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Those figures are pretty conflicting with other numbers ive seen

$50k USD starting for ComSci?
that sounds a bit high. but there might be a diff between Us and Canada.

Here's a list of top degrees in demand:

Bachelor's Degree
Mechanical engineering
Electrical engineering
Accounting
Business administration/management
Economics/finance
Computer science
Management information systems
Marketing/marketing management
Information sciences & systems
Computer engineering

Master's Degree
M.B.A.
Electrical engineering
Mechanical engineering
Computer science
Accounting

Doctorate Degree
Electrical engineering
Mechanical engineering
Computer engineering
Chemical engineering
Chemistry

gpomp
02-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
An average of starting salaries for all the major diciplines. It doesn't tell you how hard it'd be to find work, but for those who did here's what they're making:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/05/pf/college/lucrative_degrees/index.htm?cnn=yes

Kinda interesting. Haha, shows where that psychology degree gets you :poosie:
Hrm, I guess I better think twice about going into Pysch.

sml
02-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Electriccccccccaaaaalll!

Yah, don't let that chart mislead you, compare starting salary with the average salary that same person makes 10 yrs down the road and you'll realize that all those engineering ain't that good anymore... :(

btw, is that technical only cause what the hell happened to all the doctors, dentists, and lawyers??? Those are the daddymacs of all starting salaries!

max_boost
02-06-2004, 04:48 PM
LOL

I don't know how much $$$ I'll make with my degree but I know one thing, I'll start getting more respect from family and relatives once I do graduate.:rofl:

Schools overrated, I'm going to finish with a discipline that I may never use. WTF is the point of that, waste of money cause I'll probably forget everything anyway.:rofl:

Super_Geo
02-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by sml
Electriccccccccaaaaalll!

Yah, don't let that chart mislead you, compare starting salary with the average salary that same person makes 10 yrs down the road and you'll realize that all those engineering ain't that good anymore... :(

That's what I've been hearing a lot too. But after a few years of experience in engineering, I hear getting an MBA will land you a killer job opens a bunch of doors.

89coupe
02-06-2004, 05:10 PM
I was just about to say the same thing. In Calgary the highest paid jobs I know of with the least amount of experience is field work in the Oil & Gas Industry. I know guys starting out at $89,000.00/year for the first year and going as high as $250,000.00/year within 5 years.

djfob
02-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
LOL

I don't know how much $$$ I'll make with my degree but I know one thing, I'll start getting more respect from family and relatives once I do graduate.:rofl:

Schools overrated, I'm going to finish with a discipline that I may never use. WTF is the point of that, waste of money cause I'll probably forget everything anyway.:rofl:

ahaha I'm in the same boat. Just going with the flow.

E36M3
02-06-2004, 06:37 PM
The most valuable thing about a degree in my opinion is the opportunity to meet a diverse range of highly motivated people who will become your "network" throughout your career.

Other than that, it is probably of limited value, except in getting your first job in some cases.

If you don't have any related experience in the field you are going into, a degree at least shows a potential employer that you have accomplished a significant long term goal.

Originally posted by max_boost
LOL

gpomp
02-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I was just about to say the same thing. In Calgary the highest paid jobs I know of with the least amount of experience is field work in the Oil & Gas Industry. I know guys starting out at $89,000.00/year for the first year and going as high as $250,000.00/year within 5 years.
What kinda job is that 250k/year? I need to get into that field!

Shaolin
02-07-2004, 09:08 PM
oil field guys make a crap load of money.. a buddy of mine works for schlumberger, and went out of the city for training.. he's an accountant but all employees have to get trained on stuff out in the rigs (IE. driving and other stuff) he was talkin to some of the guys out there working the rigs.. the engineers out there make like 100k a year, and all they have is a tech degree from SAIT.. only downpoint is that you're in bumfuck alberta for a very long time. But hey, I'll take 100k.

kaput
02-07-2004, 11:06 PM

gpomp
02-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Anyone know any chemical engineers working for big oil companies and how much they make?

Weapon_R
02-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
Anyone know any chemical engineers working for big oil companies and how much they make?

My brother in law does, and he's making about 40k

sml
02-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

What kinda job is that 250k/year? I need to get into that field!

Keep dreaming! Just because one guy starts off at $89k, doesn't mean you or the average joe will. Average starting salary in CALGARY for oil and gas is probably closer to $50k. Even if you work out of fort mac, it might be $60k, but $89k, I don't think so. I guess a selected few will make $250k, but only in certain big oil companies, when you worked for 10-15yrs.
Check this out:
http://www.apegga.org/members/member_services/salary_survey03/pdf/SalarySurvey2003.pdf

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sml

Keep dreaming! Just because one guy starts off at $89k, doesn't mean you or the average joe will. Average starting salary in CALGARY for oil and gas is probably closer to $50k. Even if you work out of fort mac, it might be $60k, but $89k, I don't think so. I guess a selected few will make $250k, but only in certain big oil companies, when you worked for 10-15yrs.
Check this out:
http://www.apegga.org/members/member_services/salary_survey03/pdf/SalarySurvey2003.pdf

:werd: Some very good consultants reel in around 180k. 250k if you go down to the US. Some chief engineers make around 100k (after tax) who have been in the business for a very long time.
And he's right when he said only a SELECT few will even make 250k - I'd say that it'd take 15+ years.
Those numbers don't even sound remotely correct. 89k for a beginning position and then up to 250k in 5 years. Buddy, I think whoever told you that is full of shit.
I've even seen stats that beginning salaries in the oil industry are around 40-45k. But yes, the oil industry generally does pay more than other industries if you're just starting.

DJ Lazy
02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
DAMN!!! Not quite what I was looking for.. but I guess it is a good start..

Business Admin $37, 368, however the +2% change from previous year is nice to see... :bigpimp:

sputnik
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Business Admin $37, 368, however the +2% change from previous year is nice to see... :bigpimp:

2% is peanuts... considering the cost of living in calgary jumped 5% last year

Loose
02-19-2004, 02:37 PM
89coupe...

I know everyone is calling BS on you, but I'm sure some guys make that coin in the right jobs.

Can you be more specific on their areas of expertise/field.

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Loose
89coupe...

I know everyone is calling BS on you, but I'm sure some guys make that coin in the right jobs.

Can you be more specific on their areas of expertise/field.

Originally posted by 89coupe
I know guys starting out at $89,000.00/year for the first year and going as high as $250,000.00/year within 5 years.

Maybe one lucky fukker was able to get that 89k job and increase to 250k in 5 years. But the key was that he said "guys".... I think the 'guys' who told him that lied to him.
Things like that don't happen unless maybe these guys are all related to the president of the company and are given these great jobs. If that truly was the case then why doesn't everyone enter into the oil industry and why do the stats say the average beginning earnings start at 40-50k/year. If people were making 89k/year then that means that there needs to be ppl making 9k/year to balance out the 89k to make the average around 45-50k.

Hakkola
02-19-2004, 04:57 PM
It's who you know more than what you know.

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
It's who you know more than what you know. :werd:

E36M3
02-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Sort of, but if you aren't competent, it rarely even helps who you know (with some exceptions). The key is to position yourself so that you are educated, experienced, competent and connected.

Easier said than done I suppose.

Originally posted by Hakkola
It's who you know more than what you know.

20incheyes
02-19-2004, 10:49 PM
if you're smart and learn how to make money it becomes less of a worry. From real estate to mobile businesses, there is plenty of money out there and you have to find people who will give it to you and for what. It takes work, but I have a BCOM and never used it, even though I'm in the B2B sales industry right now.

"stop smokin and start making dough" from famous business man HOLENDERSKI

Shaolin
02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
it's who you know to get in the door, but if you can't sell yourself or can't prove yourself that you can do the job, knowing people isn't going to do you any good.

I got my job because I knew someone, but when you're infront of executives in a boardroom, and you can't prove yourself you can do the job or even sell yourself to look like you can do the job you're not going to get the job.

JordanLotoski
02-19-2004, 11:39 PM
real estate...3 weeks of school.. for easy 6 figures if your good....:D

Hakkola
02-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Are you in real estate SIR?