PDA

View Full Version : LF: Junior Accounting Position

goodbabbu
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking for Junior Accountant type position. I am finding it EXTREMELY tough to break into the Accounting/Finance field and am really getting frustrated.
Currently working as IT Team Lead in a very respectable IT company.

Any pointers on what route I should take?

Also, I do not want to leave my full-time permanent position that pays very good for a short term, no good contract job.

Education: Enrolled in 4th year Accounting degree (Part time)

Experience:

Team Lead – January 2011 – Present
Calgary, Alberta
• Responsible for coaching, mentoring and monitoring progress of IT support analysts.
• Responsible for conducting daily trend analysis, preparation of various daily, month-to-date and key performance indicator reports (KPI) for the Help Desk and the Account Executives. Prepare weekly and monthly Agent Performance Management (APM) report.
• Chair and participate in weekly Team Lead meetings, training meetings, continuous service improvement meetings, and Incident Management meetings.
• Worked on escalated customer service issues on a daily basis.
• Provide emergency on-call support.

IT Analyst June 2010 – January 2011
Calgary, Alberta
• Performed remote technical support via RDP client, internal remote tool, or office communicator.
• Troubleshoot software and hardware issues relating but not limited to Government applications, operating systems, hardware issues including laptop, desktop, printer, blackberry, network problems, citrix issues and database issues.
• Updated application procedures, troubleshooting and group assignment documentation in Right Answers (knowledge base).

Assistant Manager May 2009 – August 2010
(Aldo Group) Calgary, Alberta
• Motivate employees to achieve company goal and surpass their personal sales goals.
• Maximize personal and store sales by providing highest level of customer satisfaction.
• Assist in recruiting, hiring and training Sales Associates on product knowledge, visual presentation, sales techniques and administration.
• Adhere to and enforce loss prevention and security policies, credit policies and procedures, i.e. credit cards, employee purchases, deposit logs, return and exchange policies.

flipstah
07-06-2012, 01:12 PM
If that's what your resume looks like, I'd focus less on your work experience and more on your education.

Show the recruiters what makes you the perfect candidate for a junior accounting position; related classes, projects, assignments, etc.

I'm not saying that you should get rid of your work experience but a resume only has so much valuable real-estate. If I saw this and I was going to hire a junior accountant, I'd pass and recommend you to our IT dept.

EG6boi
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
You've definitely got some qualities that I think would help you land an accounting position. For myself, I plan on pursuing a CMA so IT and Managerial positions always look good on a resume! :thumbsup:

On a general perspective, I recommend applying at IT companies with an accounting department. I know many IT companies outsource their accounting work, but if you can find a company that does their own bookkeeping, internal audit, A/R, etc., it is so much easier to find a accounting job. Your IT knowledge tends to stand out more if you do so.

Chandler_Racing
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I would recommend volunteering to provide accounting services. Most companies will bring you on as an employee after if you're competent, or at the least it will allow you to have actual experience in the field and position you're applying for.

My department is in the final stages of hiring a junior accountant and for a two week posting we received over 50 resumes. There is a ton on competition in the market right now.

Many of the resumes were people who had up to 10 years experience and were designated accountants (generally CGA's)

goodbabbu
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
^
This is what pisses me off! If you are a CGA and 10 year experience, and have no job -> doesn't that tell the employer that the guy is a looser?
I mean, no company lays off or fires a hard working employee... and if they do, those guys are not the one's looking for these small ass jobs... they always manage to find jobs at their level.

Just frustrating.

I think, i will try volunteering someplace, but with classes and full time work, I am not sure how much worthwhile that would prove.

Sometimes, I just wonder saying "F&^K it" and not even bothering applying for any job and changing my major to MIS from Accounting... considering the amount of interest I am getting from companies.
This thing has seriously started to annoy me.

Chandler_Racing
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
We extended the offer to a fresh graduate pursuing her CMA designation.

With that said and no offense, it's a lot easier to take a weak experienced accountant (that of course does not pose a flight risk) than a person with no credentials or experience.

Kavy
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by goodbabbu
^
This is what pisses me off! If you are a CGA and 10 year experience, and have no job; doesn't that tell the employer that the guy is a looser?

Several companies lay off people who make too much to find cheaper replacements.

Additionally some companies pass on people with heavy experience and qualifications because they think the candidate will not be happy with the offered salary (without even talking to them)........All of which are completely stupid IMO.

EG6boi
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

Several companies lay off people who make too much to find cheaper replacements.

Additionally some companies pass on people with heavy experience and qualifications because they think the candidate will not be happy with the offered salary (without even talking to them)........All of which are completely stupid IMO.

I had a conversation with an accounting employer, and they said they are in favour of hiring 'fresh blood' because they can mold them into what they want; without having to deal with experienced accountants who understands that slack ways.

403ep3
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm a soon to be graduate but I have been keeping an eye out on the jobs out there and there are a ton! Bad thing is, a lot of them are FT and they require the degree in hand unless its for the summer.

Might want to stick to the IT job until you're done your degree or take a look at volunteering. A friend volunteered last year by doing simple personal tax returns. Maybe take a look at that next year?