PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Audi Q5. Opinions? Other options?

spike98
07-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I am getting out of my jetta and looking for something with a bit more room and something i can tow a little bit with.

My current plan is to get a Q5 Premium Plus with the 2.0T and S-Line Package. It has pretty much all i am looking for with the exception of a few nags. No A2DP bluetooth, piss poor nav, and finding the exact one i want is becoming harder than i thought.

My budget is around $55-60K all in and a loaded out 2.0T Q5 is right on the money.

colinxx235
07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Closest competitors are the obvious X3 and the GLK350. I really like the moms GLK, she is a big fan of it as well.

I know if you are looking new the Q5 seems to be flying off the lot according to friend at dealership. Next to no room for negotiation on them because they know they will sell to the next person.

Otherwise look into a Cherokee, or maybe an RDX?

spike98
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Closest competitors are the obvious X3 and the GLK350. I really like the moms GLK, she is a big fan of it as well.

I know if you are looking new the Q5 seems to be flying off the lot according to friend at dealership. Next to no room for negotiation on them because they know they will sell to the next person.

Otherwise look into a Cherokee, or maybe an RDX?

Based on style the GLK350 and RDX are out. The lexus is too girly looking IMO and the MB is styled more box like. The X3 is really like but i think with the options i want it will push it over budget.

Never considered a Cherokee...ill check it out.

colinxx235
07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
yup, X3 can get pricey

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/help-me-pick-a-new-mid-luxury-suv/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353390&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

read that thread, pretty recent. mostly identical to what you are looking at. Except he threw in the SRX, which he picked

vadeit
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Almost bought a Q5 a 1.5 yrs ago, were down to between the Q5 and Ford Edge of all things. Audi wouldn't deal and I thought full load 2.0 which is what we wanted was too pricy for what you got. Ended up getting the Edge cause Ford would deal. I did really like the Q5 though even though it felt a bit small

We looked at almost every single SUV in that size class. A lot we discounted cause I couldn't fit due to my height, all Lexus, Touareg, MB, too small; Edge is tight but manageable. Didn't look at the X3 cause wife didn't like it.

Not trying to preach but we decided the almost 15-20G price difference by the time we dealt Ford down was worth it. Just bought the sucker out instead of having to finance. Went to Hawaii, lol.

Xtrema
07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
The only thing I can complain about 3G MMI NAV is the lack of updates even if you want to pay for it.

Otherwise, it's one of the best factory NAV units out there.

That said, Q5 will never be a good deal. They can never keep it in stock.

vengie
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
X2 on grand cherokee, the new ones are quite nice

ddduke
07-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by spike98

The lexus is too girly

I don't think the q5 is any less girly. Both people that I know who drive them are women.

buh_buh
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
They've already been out for a while, but lately, I've been noticing the FX45/50s. Pretty nice looking suv/crossover

Ven
07-07-2012, 08:24 AM
x3 on the Cherokee.

jaylo
07-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Based on style the GLK350 and RDX are out. The lexus is too girly looking IMO and the MB is styled more box like. The X3 is really like but i think with the options i want it will push it over budget.

Never considered a Cherokee...ill check it out.

I do not think there is anything "girly" about the Lexus RX 350 F Sport, it is about $63K all in.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/vehicles/BK1BAV2013/veh_intro.jsp?model=BK1BAV&year=2013

Plus it will hold its value pretty well.

Redlyne_mr2
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Why not look at the X3 28i, it's a 2l turbo just like the Q5 and around $5K cheaper than the 35i variant. :)

spike98
07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
The Q5 looks less "girly" to me because of the prominent Audi grill. Ultimately IMO crossovers aren't "manly" at all. I am just looking for something the least feminine for now. A few years from now it will be passed down to the wife and ill move back to a sedan.

I am going to test drive the Jeep today. With all the response and looking at the specs it is a real good value. I have been anti-domestic for a while but its been so long i have forgotten why haha. The domestics are really stepping up their game these days. If i was looking at a truck, the F-150 would be a serious contender.

Euro838
07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
What are you looking to tow? I would suggest going with a 6 if you are. The Q5 is also not as tall as some of the others so it doesn't feel as "big". I think there's a bit of turbo lag vs say the BMW. If you like nice and clean interiors, then you'll like the Q5 (I'd expect you to since you already own a jetta). I also really like the panoramic roof option so I'd recommend that but I believe that's a $2300 option so if you get that and the s-line package, you will most likely hit $60k or more all in. You could probably get a very nicely equipped X3 35i for a bit more which I think will be a lot better (if we are comparing Germans). It's obvious you can save a shit load going with other brands or makes but these would be my preferences too.

kvg
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
What about the ex35?

gqboy322
07-07-2012, 10:07 AM
The only thing Audi will give you is the 5 free service which save you some money on it. and depends on what are you going to do with it too. The Q5 2.0T got few things you can mod it on too (ex. ECU tune by APR, suspension, exhaust...) Q5 is the same platform as A4.

By it really depends on what you want. If for performance i would go for X3/X1 luxury i would go for GLK. The Q5 is more in between X3 and GLK.

I drive a Q7 and i love it since it has luxury and performance.

gqboy322
07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
What are you looking to tow? I would suggest going with a 6 if you are. The Q5 is also not as tall as some of the others so it doesn't feel as "big". I think there's a bit of turbo lag vs say the BMW. If you like nice and clean interiors, then you'll like the Q5 (I'd expect you to since you already own a jetta). I also really like the panoramic roof option so I'd recommend that but I believe that's a $2300 option so if you get that and the s-line package, you will most likely hit $60k or more all in. You could probably get a very nicely equipped X3 35i for a bit more which I think will be a lot better (if we are comparing Germans). It's obvious you can save a shit load going with other brands or makes but these would be my preferences too.

The interior of the X3 look like plastic. Q5 got a much nicer interior then the X3 for sure. And all the option add up too.

spike98
07-07-2012, 10:36 AM
This is what i optioned out on the Q5:

Premium Plus 2.0T
Panaramic Sunroof
MMI Nav (no backup cam)
S-Line Package
B&O Sound System

The sales rep told me he would do $55k all in for the above. As far as i can see it thats about $2k off list which is HUGE for such a popular car.

He also lied to me about MY13 coming out in Q2 but i think that was just to push the one i was looking at. With the My13 they are dropping the N/A 3.0 adding a deisel and the 3.0T out of an A5. They are also doing a few tweaks to the headlights and MMI for the refresh. But i dont want to spend the $70k ish to get the 3.0T when a STASIS tuned 2.0T is faster than the N/A 3.0 with boat loads more torque.

What i am planning on pulling is a smallish ski boat. Nothing huge. Perhaps that odd small tent trailer in the future.

The look of the GLK is growing on me as well but i have yet to plant my ass in one.

Another HUGE thing for me to consider is my location. I am in medicine hat, which means any warranty or recall must be in calgary. The VW shop here is authorized for audi (not sure if its also audi-care). I have talk to a few "hatters" about owning Q5/7 and they say they haven't had issues with them enough to worry about the distance. But the same would be with anything really in the mid-size luxury department. Thats where the advantage would go to the grand cherokee.

CanmoreOrLess
07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I just did a quick look at the 2012 (2.0 TSI Highline 4MOTION) Tiguan. $46,500 all taxes, delivery and all the option boxes fully ticked. You get $500 back as a current VW owner, 0% financing for 60 months, rear camera, etc and local qualified servicing from the VW dealer. This leaves you 10-15K under budget, enough room for a toy or three I would think. Can get a nice start on any camper or water toy and be using them next weekend.

Does the 55K for your loaded Audi include all taxes, delivery fees, etc?

Why is the Tiguan not being considered (might have missed this in an earlier post)?

jibber
07-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I know it's not the prettiest beast on the road, but have you considered a new Murano?

Euro838
07-07-2012, 03:00 PM
This is what i optioned out on the Q5:

Premium Plus 2.0T
Panaramic Sunroof
MMI Nav (no backup cam)
S-Line Package
B&O Sound System

The sales rep told me he would do $55k all in for the above. As far as i can see it thats about $2k off list which is HUGE for such a popular car.

If he can do all that for $55k all in, then sign me up for one too!

spike98
07-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I just did a quick look at the 2012 (2.0 TSI Highline 4MOTION) Tiguan. $46,500 all taxes, delivery and all the option boxes fully ticked. You get $500 back as a current VW owner, 0% financing for 60 months, rear camera, etc and local qualified servicing from the VW dealer. This leaves you 10-15K under budget, enough room for a toy or three I would think. Can get a nice start on any camper or water toy and be using them next weekend.

Does the 55K for your loaded Audi include all taxes, delivery fees, etc?

Why is the Tiguan not being considered (might have missed this in an earlier post)?

I guess i simply dont like the styling of the tiguan. I know the build and feel will be there but it just doesn't hit the mark style wise. Also a fully spec'd tiguan is $50,008.15 taxes in (with the 19" wheels comparable to the Q5).

Also i am staying far away from Nissan. Myself and family members have had nothing but problems with them. The guys here in the dealership are peices of shit too....

Dynasty 88
07-09-2012, 12:14 PM

I guess i simply dont like the styling of the tiguan. I know the build and feel will be there but it just doesn't hit the mark style wise. Also a fully spec'd tiguan is $50,008.15 taxes in (with the 19" wheels comparable to the Q5).

Also i am staying far away from Nissan. Myself and family members have had nothing but problems with them. The guys here in the dealership are peices of shit too....

Agree, and the Tiguan is just way to costly when optioned out.

You will be doing yourself a huge favor by avoiding Nissan products, their product is absolute junk now. thought I may have just had bad luck with my Murano, after talking to many other owners of 08+ Nissan and Infinity products I found out im not alone. The performance is ok, but after a few years of ownership there's nothing about my Murano I like.

The Jeep GC impressed me too. They did a gret job in and out. I hope this signals a huge turaround for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.

CanmoreOrLess
07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Interesting to compare the Jeep GC (USA spec):

http://cars.findthebest.com/l/936/2012-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Laredo

http://cars.findthebest.com/search/collection_price_range/24

A ton of value to be found in the Jeep GC.

Strider
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
OP, have you tried driving the Q5 and X3 back to back?

I wanted to like the Q5 because it has a nicer interior and is cheaper, but just couldn't say no to the X3 after driving both on a few high speed off ramps.

Despite it still having higher demand than supply, I managed to get ~$3,500 off my loaded (everything but m-sport) 35i, which brought it just under $60k all-in. Had to contact a few dealerships though.

You could probably option out a 28i (also 4 cyl turbo, 240hp vs 211hp), and have it come out very competitive with your Q5 quote.

spike98
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Interesting to compare the Jeep GC (USA spec):

http://cars.findthebest.com/l/936/2012-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Laredo

http://cars.findthebest.com/search/collection_price_range/24

A ton of value to be found in the Jeep GC.

I am going to drive one tonight. They have a black Jeep GC Overland on the lot with a sticker price of $53k. The thing is loaded to the hilt and bloody gorgeous. The Overland comes with all the options, can pull 4000lbs, and has air ride suspension.

If it feels good when i am driving it, ill bring it home. The value is unbelievable for the options, fit and finish.

Nothing bad to be said online as well. There is some concerns about the Quadra Lift Suspension (air ride) leaking or having pump problems but from what i have read its isolated to the MY2011 and should be fixed for this year.

msommers
07-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I've been telling people to look into the latest gen Cherokee ever since I saw it at the Auto Showa couple years back. I had the base model as a rental while on Maui and really liked it. Before then I test drove one and all they had was completely optioned out V8 which was over my budget but why the hell not right. Great ride with tons of bells and whistles, great towing and I would trust it going offroad (to a degree).

The only thing is the long-term reliability with the Pentastar engines. I haven't looked into it but the GC forums would be a good indicator of how they're doing.

That's a great price on the Q5 though.

spike98
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
If was in calgary i would have jumped on the Q5 in a split second. But being from medicine hat it makes me weary to have the only service center 3 hours away. One break down and i am looking at tow bills, rentals, and possible hotel stays. All for a car.

I haven't heard anything bad about the pentastar engine other than the 0-60 time being 9 seconds. But on a bigger SUV/Crossover thats not bad. I have browsed the forums and the biggest issue is the air suspension system and that was isolated to the 2011.

supe
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
What about the SRX? I loooove the new look of them.

Xtrema
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
GC is definitely a good way to go if you are not a badge whore.

That's basically a Merc ML with a huge discount.

tch7
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about the pentastar engine other than the 0-60 time being 9 seconds.
It's not bad at all. Not fast, but perfectly competent.

The tradeoff is the fuel efficiency. On my last road trip on the long weekend through Montana, Idaho, & Washington I averaged 8.3L/100km - basically the same as my car gets. As much fun as the V8 Hemi is, I'd totally go with the Pentastar (I don't own a GC - just rent them all the time for work).

spike98
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by tch7

It's not bad at all. Not fast, but perfectly competent.

The tradeoff is the fuel efficiency. On my last road trip on the long weekend through Montana, Idaho, & Washington I averaged 8.3L/100km - basically the same as my car gets. As much fun as the V8 Hemi is, I'd totally go with the Pentastar (I don't own a GC - just rent them all the time for work).

That is totally my mindset. I am used to that kind of economy with my tuned jetta. I dont want to have to spend $500 a month on fuel for a weekend boating family car.

msommers
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a feeling the V8 will tow better and for that trip, probably use the same or less gas compared to the V6 pulling that weight. But in the long run, the V6 will save you money :)

Besides, having a fast SUV has always made me question, what's the point?

7thgenvic
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
All this talk about SUV's really makes me want to go test drive the FX...

What's everyones opinion on 2008+ FX's?

spike98
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Drove the JGC Overland last night and i am bloody sold!

I drove the hemi and the pentastar. Made the choice to go with the V6. The fuel economy of the hemi just cannot be ignored and it really with the weight of the jeep the extra horse is noticeable but its not suppose to be a sports car.

The dealer is hunting for one in white and if he finds it i am taking it for sure.

corsvette
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Was just reading about the new 3.0 diesel coming out in the GC. 241hp 406 lb ft torque 23 city 33 highway mpg! Impressive numbers for sure.

KRyn
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Was just reading about the new 3.0 diesel coming out in the GC. 241hp 406 lb ft torque 23 city 33 highway mpg! Impressive numbers for sure.

This engine would be worth holding out for in my opinion, sounds amazing.

spike98
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

This engine would be worth holding out for in my opinion, sounds amazing.

The diesel wont be in the 2013. It will come as an option in the refreshed 2014 which is too long for me to wait. It will definitely be something to consider after my 3 year least is up.

It will also align with the second running year of the diesel so the first year kinks would be worked out.

msommers
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Drove the JGC Overland last night and i am bloody sold!

I drove the hemi and the pentastar. Made the choice to go with the V6. The fuel economy of the hemi just cannot be ignored and it really with the weight of the jeep the extra horse is noticeable but its not suppose to be a sports car.

The dealer is hunting for one in white and if he finds it i am taking it for sure.

Glad to hear things worked out! You and I have the same mindset, I think you'll really like it.

spike98
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Well things went tits up at the dealership when it came down to negotiating my trade. I understand that they have to make money on them but the offer was no where NEAR what it should be for the wholesale price of my jetta.

They offered me an offensive $14000 for it. VMR lists it at $17k wholesale plus there are a ton of extras (i know i know aftermarket = dick, but i should get about 1/3 of what i spent considered).

I drove next door and test drove a 2012 TDI Touareg. Impressive peice of machinery. But damn are they pricey. With almost the same options it rang in at $63k. I have done a lot of business with the VW dealership here and have sent maybe 15 car purchases to my guy so he will give me a good deal. He is getting numbers for me this afternoon.

I would love the Touareg but he really has to make me an offer i can't refuse because its very up there in price.

colinxx235
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Yah you will get slapped in the face on your trade in almost everywhere. BMW in Calgary has been the worst so far. Especially on how little they like to move on prices of certain units. Even if they do come from toronto as an executive driven vehicle or w/e

Offered me $27K on a 2008 Escalade with 84K kms

spike98
07-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I went to another Jeep dealer in town last night and they gave me pretty much what i wanted on my trade. So i signed the papers on a black on black Overland with a few options. Pretty excited. Expect a review after a week of driving it!

bart
07-13-2012, 09:20 AM
this will be hot when it comes out

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Auto+China+2012+dE0tNE02Gibl.jpg