PDA

View Full Version : Maui honeymoon, which hotel?

Justing
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
My fiance and I have decided on a week in Maui for a our honeymoon in October

Since its a honeymoon we want to be at a nice, relatively quiet resort.
Our budget is around $4000 for flight and hotel.

First time to Hawaii for either of us so any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

jdmakkord
07-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Look up the Honua Kai. Its in Kaanapali, nice and quiet area, great resort and very nice suites.

Stunt66
07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
If you haven't booked and want to just chill id look into this place http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/. I was just there a month ago and it was a sick resort and pricing was way better than anything in maui. Its on a different island though. I was only there for a day(our cruise ported here) so i didnt get to see everything but what i did get to see was amazing. They have a huge man made snorkel lagoon so its super safe for beginners and its loaded with fish and turtles. Theres a shopping center within walking distance too. Maui is nice and all but its still a pricey place and once you factor in airfare you wont have much left for a nice place in maui. We had to book a night to use the resort and paid $189.00 a night for a standard room. You also have to account for resort taxes, fees and parking because those can add up quick and not included with your rates

projekz
07-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Sheraton Ka'anapali gets my vote. Perfect setting and awesome location.

VWEvo
07-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I agree with Honai Kai, I went there last year, first vacation I'm doing again. Also, Grand Waliea is amazing. Both of these are in Maui

Pacman
07-08-2012, 02:16 AM
We stayed at the Grand Wailea for a work meeting last year and it was really nice on a fantastic beach.

Ven
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
I've stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton in Ka'anapali. Both are very nice, and I think you'll be pleased with either.

Justing
07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!

Does anyone have experience with the Fairmont Kea lani?
It looks like we can get into the Fairmont with an ocean view for about $4800 with flights or an ocean view room at the Grand Wailea for $5000 with flights.

A little more then the budget but hey, it's a honeymoon. How many of those do you go on in a lifetime? 2, maybe 3 :rofl:

jdmakkord
07-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Just a heads up for you. If you price out the honua Kai on westjet vacations.com it includes their resort fee. That covers wifi, valet parking etc.

habshabs
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Justing
Thanks for the recommendations!

Does anyone have experience with the Fairmont Kea lani?
It looks like we can get into the Fairmont with an ocean view for about $4800 with flights or an ocean view room at the Grand Wailea for $5000 with flights.

A little more then the budget but hey, it's a honeymoon. How many of those do you go on in a lifetime? 2, maybe 3 :rofl:

The wife and I stayed at the Fairmont around a year and a half ago. I thought the resort was great assuming you can get it for a decent price. All the rooms are suites so you have more room including a wetbar and fridge.

Eating all meals onsite could get a little pricey, but there are lots of dining options around. The have a full size Lexus available to shuttle you around. The Shops of Wailea are very closeby and have a few more dining options. Chances are you are going to rent a car anyways and Kihei is only 10 mins away and has lots of cheap eats/happy hour options. Out of all those resorts along that strip in Wailea (Fairmont, Grand Wailea (Hilton), Four Seasons, and Marriott), I think that the Fairmont is the best bang for the buck. An added bonus is there is an adults only pool so you can get away from all the screaming kids if you want.

20incheyes
07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by habshabs

I think that the Fairmont is the best bang for the buck. An added bonus is there is an adults only pool so you can get away from all the screaming kids if you want.

I agree with you fully. We've stayed at the Four Seasons and it's very nice but not $1000 a night nice. The Grand Wailea is great if you have kids who love water parks. The Fairmont would be my choice for a honeymoon.

Here is a report of my recent stay at the Kea Lani:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/hotel-report-fairmont-kea-lani-maui-hawaii/

But if you really are looking for ultimate in luxury I would suggest the Four Seasons Hualalai on the big islands.

Justing
07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for pointing that out jdmakkord, I was wondering why WJV was more expensive then expedia.
Thanks for the review habshabs and thanks for posting that awesome write up, 20incheyes! That's was exactly what I was looking for.

Definitely leaning towards The Fairmont now. I think I'll just book a garden view room and upgrade when we get there.

Thanks again guys!

kenny
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I stayed at the Fairmont on my first trip to Maui and we really liked the hotel. The four seasons is really nice but its about double the price. If you're into pools, the Grand Wailea has the best pool/waterslides out of all the hotels in that area (they have a cool water elevator too for the slides). As others have mentioned, Kea Lani has an adult pool (which I didn't discover until my 3rd day) so its nice if you want to relax in quiet.

The wife recommends the spa at the Four seasons. She went there during our wedding and loved it. Its only a 5 minute walk down the pathway along the water.

Justing
07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
We ended up booking Calgary to Honolulu where we'll spend 2 nights. Then Honolulu to Maui for 5 nights at the fairmont.
Just need to book the Honolulu hotel and a car rental in Maui and we're all set.
Thanks again for the info! :clap:

ae92gts
07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Maui is the best place on earth!! (i havent done to much traveling but i still love it) last time i stayed there i stayed in Kahiana (spelling?) in a beach front condo for 10 days. Me and the fiance are actully getting married in Maui this december. Wedding and honeymoon all in one.

We booked a flights and condo (for two weeks) for a little under $5000. I find the earlier you book the better deals you find. :thumbsup: