PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a house near a substation?

jampack
07-07-2012, 10:52 PM
My wife and I are looking for our new house and we saw one of the spec homes of a builder (possession in 3 months). The lots on the area are pretty cheap and we recognize this because the lots are near an Enmax substation. I've researched over the internet about having a house near a substation and its disadvantages but I want beyond's input as well. :) The difference of their base model to the upgraded spec home in that lot is more than $50,000.

Your input please! Thanks!

Weapon_R
07-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't. In my last home, we were located near one. I did not realize the impact until it came time to sell. I had a lot of viewings, but most of them refused to make an offer because of it.

grampafunk
07-07-2012, 11:33 PM
nope. the industry is pretty 'hush' about the possibility for health impacts as well. not a risk i would be willing to take.

bignerd
07-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Husband is an electrician, he says hell no.

f150mikey060
07-08-2012, 12:10 AM
After working in substations 25kv all the way up to 500kv, x2 on the hell no!

frizzlefry
07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
My in-laws were near one. Health wise they are fine. But they never had a decent tv picture and their internet performance and wi-fi range blew. It was like they had lead paint on their walls.

revelations
07-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
After working in substations 25kv all the way up to 500kv, x2 on the hell no!

:werd:

However... it all depends how close the house is to the sub and the connecting network. I'd personally be more concerned about the AC lines connecting to the sub than the sub itself.

Also, if the house is a good price, I'd get an EMF scan done of the house and see if its worth being concerned as far as health. Our office got one done when they wanted to relocated next to a bunch of microwave antennas. There is a standard put out by health Canada which outlines safe guidlines for EMF exposure.

Most people expose themselves to more cumulative EMF by standing in front of the microwave or having a cordless phone next to their head when sleeping.

Resale-wise, its always going to be tough.

speedog
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Personally I wouldn't, but there's people that buy homes near substations/gas stations/major roadways/whatever all the time. I like a bit of separation between my home and the city's infrastructure, so to speak, but many do not care - I suppose that would explain a 2 story, 3 car front drive mansion being built just one house north of McKnight Boulevard between Centre Street and 4th Street NW, the right location for someone I guess.

Unknown303
07-08-2012, 10:45 AM
The only problem having a home near a substation would be the hum from the transformer. Which affects the resale most likely. Other then that there isn't going to be anything that is detrimental to your health coming out of it. People who think otherwise are grasping at straws.

Pretty much the same goes for power lines, like the people out in Tuscany. My only issue building up near a power line is if your kids are flying kites or something along those lines.. Something getting up into a power line would be a huge concern for me.

But a substation, if they don't maintain the transformer you can get noise out of it. Even depending on loading out of that station you'll get noise from it so I'd rather not have that hum around all the time.

jampack
07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you guys for your replies. We went back last night, to one of the houses, just to see the noise level of the transformers and I can barely hear anything; but I'm sure over time, it changes. The view on both houses we're looking at are awesome; except the substation lol.

Thanks again! :)

speedog
07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Go with your gut feelings - I'd say that if you even had to post up some concerns in this forum, then the substation could be a deal breaker to you. If you plan to stay in this home for 20+ years and don't care about what's next to you, then go for it. But at the same time, if you aren't going to stay in this home long term or you second guess your purchase decision every time you look at the substation, then do something else.

FiveFreshFish
07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by jampack
Thank you guys for your replies. We went back last night, to one of the houses, just to see the noise level of the transformers and I can barely hear anything; but I'm sure over time, it changes. The view on both houses we're looking at are awesome; except the substation lol.

Thanks again! :)

How far is the substation from the house?

Cos
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM

googe
07-08-2012, 04:55 PM
There are absolutely zero health reasons to avoid it. Unfortunately there are a lot of dumb people who shop for houses and believe there are health effects for no reason, so that will turn them off and lower your re-sale value. There are also a lot of smart people who understand this effect and will avoid it for their own resale value for that reason. So it could be a problem, even though it shouldn't be.

jampack
07-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

How far is the substation from the house?

Basically, the fence of the substation is approximately 10 meters from the fence of the backyard. The substation looks like this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/ishmaell/Overview-Revised5.jpg

But it's actually slightly smaller compared to the picture, just has 2 big posts on each side of the substation.

Originally posted by Cos

Personally I wouldnt. Not because of any health related reasons but since I work near it every day last I want to see is more work related things and what Weapon R said the harder time it is to sell. Same with transmission lines. I just would hate to stare at them. No more reason I dont want to stare at a highway. Im not worried about some car flying off and killing my family. I just dont want the view or the noise.

Originally posted by speedog

Go with your gut feelings - I'd say that if you even had to post up some concerns in this forum, then the substation could be a deal breaker to you. If you plan to stay in this home for 20+ years and don't care about what's next to you, then go for it. But at the same time, if you aren't going to stay in this home long term or you second guess your purchase decision every time you look at the substation, then do something else.

These are what I've been thinking. Personally at this time, I don't mind. I just don't know in the future. I am also not concern in terms of health, I think it's more of the fact that it may affect some services in the house (cable, wifi, etc). I also thought of the resale value.

Nonetheless, my wife and I have thought this over and we think we will have our house started from scratch and not by means of buying a spec home. It is a lot cheaper particularly on this lot but we also want to experience of actually making our own house from what we wanted.

Thank you all for your input. :)

CapnCrunch
07-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Basically, the fence of the substation is approximately 10 meters from the fence of the backyard. The substation looks like this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/ishmaell/Overview-Revised5.jpg

Fuck that!!

Run away.

jampack
07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Fuck that!!

Run away.

lol. Our house will be built now; no more spec homes. :)

Cos
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM

sputnik
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

lol. Our house will be built now; no more spec homes. :)

Just out of curiosity, which community was this in?

jampack
07-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Just out of curiosity, which community was this in?

Sure. It's at Auburn Bay. :)

ddduke
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
Husband is an electrician, he says hell no.

You're a woman? whattttt?

JC522
07-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I used to have a house out in Evanston with the backyard facing stoney. A year after owning the house they put that substation in, never really bothered me. No complaints or anything other than it being an eyesore out of my master bedroom window, but really with a view of stoney it wasn't much to look at anyways. never had a problem with cable or internet though