PDA

View Full Version : Good haircut salons for men

Zeroflux APX
07-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm looking for a decent place to get a haircut for men, any recommendations? Under $40 if possible. I'm just looking for a decent barber who cuts medium-length hair well. I'm guessing the best barbers are in the downtown area?

iLLlegal
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
I've been going to tommy guns in chinook mall.. good price for the quality of hair cut I've been getting.

Qtec
07-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Gloss on 17th

Euro_Trash
07-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Anywhere good right in the core?

2.2vtec
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Velvet Style in Kengiston

-relk-
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Anywhere good right in the core?

There is a Tommy Guns by the upper food court in TD Square. $25 for a standard haircut I believe. You can also get a shave there if you want.

A790
07-10-2012, 08:31 AM
See Julie at Hedkandi Salon in Hotel Arts. She will take good care of you :)

Qtec
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
oh btw, i have 25% coupons off for gloss pm me if you want the discount., and they are really really good.

Kona9
07-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Influence on 17th ave SW. Going on my 9th year with Wendy and her girls. Excellent service and atmosphere on top of a great cut.

Nismo S13
07-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Hedkandi bankers hall, I see December and she's great for guys hair cuts, you also get a 2 week clean up included.

ddduke
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
+1 for influence. One of the best, if not the best salon in Calgary.

It's almost impossible getting a cut with Wendy as she's out of town about 70% of the time. But I'd recommend Jamie, great girl to deal with.

gyu
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Nismo S13
Hedkandi bankers hall, I see December and she's great for guys hair cuts, you also get a 2 week clean up included.
How much does it cost there?

bubbley
07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
any stylists out there that are good with side part haircut aka shaved one one side and undercut shaved on the other?

Thanks

chibwack
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
How about one where they can find a haircut that suits me? I swear I'm cursed as after 25 years I've had maybe one haircut I've liked.

swak
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
^^ hahaha... You and me both.

Phl0xed
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Need something close to McKenzie Towne! Any suggestions? New to the area and looking around. I know there's a few places right on High Street in MT, anyone had any experiences there before?

Thanks!

Thomas Gabriel
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah I like Hedkandi too. I swear it's too expensive but I can't bring myself to try anything else.

A790
07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
Need something close to McKenzie Towne! Any suggestions? New to the area and looking around. I know there's a few places right on High Street in MT, anyone had any experiences there before?

Thanks!
I go to Chatters on 130th and see Rebecca. She does a good job.

I had to find a new stylist after Julie and I broke up, which was too bad because Julie always did a good job :(

Hallowed_point
07-25-2012, 06:09 PM
How about be a man and go to a barber?? :dunno:

Go check out Omar's on Elbow.

ddduke
07-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
any stylists out there that are good with side part haircut aka shaved one one side and undercut shaved on the other?

Thanks

Sounds alot like my haircut but I ended up slicking it back. Showed Jamie at Influence what I was looking for and she took care of me.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
How about be a man and go to a barber?? :dunno:

Go check out Omar's on Elbow.

Most barbers barely know how to cut hair besides a buzz cut or typical ceasar cut. You probably have an ugly haircut, that's really manly.

turbotrip
07-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Zee @ Boulevard Hair Salon in the NW is the best barber I've been to, but also ridiculously expensive

Hallowed_point
07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Most barbers barely know how to cut hair besides a buzz cut or typical ceasar cut. You probably have an ugly haircut, that's really manly.

Hey , if OP wants to look like Criss Angel's stunt double that's cool. I wouldn't paint all barber's with the same brush personally..I didn't suggest great clips lol.

Sentry
07-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Aman's Barber Shop.

Way the fuck in the SW (Willow Park Centre), which sucks for me, but I just found it when I was at the apprenticeship office so I stopped by. $22 I think for a cut IIRC. And they do straight razor shaves. Hard to find REAL barber shops like these. Only one I've found so far, and I try different places most of the time.

chibwack
07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Aman's Barber Shop.

Way the fuck in the SW (Willow Park Centre), which sucks for me, but I just found it when I was at the apprenticeship office so I stopped by. $22 I think for a cut IIRC. And they do straight razor shaves. Hard to find REAL barber shops like these. Only one I've found so far, and I try different places most of the time.
Really? I think most barber shops do that nowadays. At least in my experience anyways. I've been to 2 barbers here in calgary and three when I was living in edmonton, and they all offered the shave, and would also use the straight blade to touch up edges after your haircut. I think it's one of the things that separates a barber shop from stylist (besides the obvious reasons of course!)
I love barbers for the whole masculine aspect, but I'll be damned if any of them know how to cut my hair. I think I'll try a stylist next time just to see if if that helps.

Hallowed_point
07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by chibwack

Really? I think most barber shops do that nowadays. At least in my experience anyways. I've been to 2 barbers here in calgary and three when I was living in edmonton, and they all offered the shave, and would also use the straight blade to touch up edges after your haircut. I think it's one of the things that separates a barber shop from stylist (besides the obvious reasons of course!)
I love barbers for the whole masculine aspect, but I'll be damned if any of them know how to cut my hair. I think I'll try a stylist next time just to see if if that helps.

Weird, I've that found most barbers DON'T offer a straight razor, with the exception of Omar's/the place Sentry mentioned. Going to a barber who doesn't offer a straight razor is kinda like going to a stripper that doesn't do lap dances if you ask me ;) :D

chibwack
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Weird, I've that found most barbers DON'T offer a straight razor, with the exception of Omar's/the place Sentry mentioned. Going to a barber who doesn't offer a straight razor is kinda like going to a stripper that doesn't do lap dances if you ask me ;) :D

That's it lol. Missing the entire experience. I know london barber's on 4th st also does them.

ALBERTA_IS
07-26-2012, 09:56 PM
+1 for Influence on 17ave. Been going here since I moved to Calgary 3 years ago. Highly recommend Courtney. She always does a great job! Great girls there!

Originally posted by Kona9
Influence on 17th ave SW. Going on my 9th year with Wendy and her girls. Excellent service and atmosphere on top of a great cut.

Zeroflux APX
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I decided to go to Influence and I had a good experience (with Courtney). The price is a little steep ($37) but not too bad. Thanks for the recs! I may give Hedkandi a try once with the $20 first time coupon, but after that it's even pricier than Influence...

l/l/rX
08-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by bubbley

Thanks

that's exactly how my hair is right now, undercut, slicked back and parted.

I like going to diva hair salon on 17th and 14 st. They serve a great cappuccino and great head massages. Love going there after work, helps to de-stress.

genesis0403
08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
i normally get a haircut at a salon on 17th ave for $40. i went to a korean place next to bow bulgogi house and the lady did a pretty good job. plus it was $20 lol

danno
08-12-2012, 11:45 PM
I go to razors edge in avenida. Been going for 6 years or so. Short waits and only $21 + tip a cut.

natty54
11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Just went to a new place that opened up right across the street from chinook mall. Its called TOC hair. In the same strip mall as the le chateau outlet.

http://tochair.ca/toc-hair-studio-akademy-services.php

Anyway I just walked in and was my luck there was a opening right away.

Saw a stylist named Anna (she was hot too!) mens cut included a wash, hot towel, scalp massage and style.

I also got some tea :P

Very relaxing and love my new cut

Normal price is $25 - but they have a opening promotion 15% off so $21.25 and with tip ended up giving $26

but even normal price inc tip for $30 is a great price for what you get

I will deff be going back

bjstare
12-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I've been getting my hair cut at Renovations (Centre st and 10th? ave north)

I've been happy with it. I have medium length hair as well, and Shelley has done really well with it. I've had her change the style a couple times, and she gives me just what I want.

Clever
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Corbett's Rock and Roll Barbershop.

muffzz
12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
crowfoot barber shop and brothez in forest lawn will give you the best cut, best fade, best anything you want for the best price. $20

rob the knob
12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by muffzz
crowfoot barber shop and brothez in forest lawn will give you the best cut, best fade, best anything you want for the best price. $20

are they the best?

asp integra
12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
place in aspen landing is great, cant remember if its caled the barber shop or demin and smith but its right across from broken plate. $25 for a cut and they do a great job. i wont go anywhere else

CLiVE
12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I've been getting my hair cut at Renovations (Centre st and 10th? ave north)

I've been happy with it. I have medium length hair as well, and Shelley has done really well with it. I've had her change the style a couple times, and she gives me just what I want.

:thumbsup: +1

Have been going here for ~7 years!

toster
12-17-2012, 09:45 AM

I'm pretty sure tommy guns does straight shaves with hot towels and all. It was pretty relaxing when I got a shave done there

TimG
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Razor's Edge in Aveneda Place just south of Anderson on McLeod Trail does straight razor shaves. Great place. I've been going there for about 7 years.

vengie
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
$25 clippers from wal mart and 5 mins of your time every 1.5 weeks... Shaved head ftw

pjamma
12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Brotherz Kutz on 17th ave

barbershop like the movie barbershop i think its Jamaican owned

woodywoodford
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Jaime @ Influence on 17th. $35 for a mens cut I think, but worth every penny. She actually takes interest in finding something that works for you, compared to the barbers that just sit you down and "3 around, medium on top"

xnvy
08-23-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm going to bump this.

I'm looking for a place under $30 (I have short hair so I don't want to spend too much), preferably close to the university but I'm willing to drive if it's worth it, and most importantly someone that can hopefully find a style that works on me as I have no luck with this. Any suggestions?

bh87
09-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
I'm going to bump this.

I'm looking for a place under $30 (I have short hair so I don't want to spend too much), preferably close to the university but I'm willing to drive if it's worth it, and most importantly someone that can hopefully find a style that works on me as I have no luck with this. Any suggestions?

If you are still looking, I go to a place called "hairdoo's" on 3rd Street SW and 60th Ave. The lady I deal with is Kim, shes been cutting my hair for 8 years now (403) 926-1288. Before going to her I had a hard time finding somewhere that I liked. Price is $26.50

xnvy
09-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Too late. I'll tell my friends looking for a cut to check your place out but I've fallen in love with MVP Men's Hair Salon and don't think I'll be switching any time soon.