PDA

View Full Version : Witness accident Friday July 6th Bow Trail at 46th St SW

Kritafo
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Just looking for a witness to the accident. Subaru pulled onto Bow a little prematurely and took out our bumper. Of course she doesn't want to claim responsibility. If anyone witnessed this I would appreciate a PM. It happened around 11:25 am Friday July 6th. She admitted she was at fault, didn't get it in writing. Now she has changed her story. This is our first accident apparently we didn't think that far ahead. Now it comes down to our word against hers. Fun times with insurance.

Mibz
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
What's her story now? I'm curious to know how she's trying to spin it to be your fault.

Disoblige
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it'll be kind of hard to spin it around no?
If you were on the main road and she was turning onto it, I can't see how you'd be at fault.

Kritafo
07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
We were on Bow which is two lanes, she says we changed lanes as she was turning right from 46th St. So she says we were both at fault. What actually happened is we changed lanes before 46th st. She to turned to quickly and hit our back wheel and our bumper, which partially came off. In the parking lot at Fitz flooring she was all ohhh this has never happened to me...blah, blah, blah. We were just happy she was admitting guilt to it. Now... we see how how crappy people are in real life when it comes down to $$ and cents.

CapnCrunch
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
She was turning onto Bow trail?

Sounds like it's her fault, even if you did change lanes at the last minute.

Kritafo
07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
we are just looking up the traffic law...if we can find anything cause that is what we said to our insurance person.

speedog
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
She would still be at fault because she was the one entering Bow Trail from a stop sign on 46th Street - should've called police as the accident damages are probably above the minimums for a vehicle accident.

dirtsniffer
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
pretty sure it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection for situations like this. not saying you did though

speedog
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
pretty sure it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection for situations like this. not saying you did though Believe that Kritafo said that they changed lanes before the intersection.

schocker
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Believe that Kritafo said that they changed lanes before the intersection.
Also it is not illegal, just not recommended iirc

speedog
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Reading is better than some it would appear - Kritafo said they changed lanes before the intersection. Any speculation regarding them changing lanes in the intersection is pointless then.

FraserB
07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
pretty sure it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection for situations like this. not saying you did though

100% legal to change lanes in an intersection.

sumguy777
07-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

100% legal to change lanes in an intersection.

Im 100% sure its illegal im pretty sure i read some where that you have x amount of meters before an intersection that you can actually do a lane change. Second to support this "you can only do a lane change when safe" how is doing a lane change safe in the middle of the intersection safe? espically if opposing traffic is waiting to turn left in front of you?

Disoblige
07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
sumguy777, you can legally change lanes between an intersection if it is safe to do so. It's been discussed before.

Lots of instances one way or two way where it is safe.

Besides, why would anyone change lanes at an intersection if there was risk hitting opposing traffic turning left? There is no risk if you use good judgement.

I'm actually kind of tired of hearing people tell me it's illegal when it's not. I understand that it can be risky (again, use your judgement and look at your situation before doing it) in some circumstances, but it's not illegal.

FraserB
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by sumguy777

Im 100% sure its illegal im pretty sure i read some where that you have x amount of meters before an intersection that you can actually do a lane change. Second to support this "you can only do a lane change when safe" how is doing a lane change safe in the middle of the intersection safe? espically if opposing traffic is waiting to turn left in front of you?

There is absolutely nothing in the TSA that makes it illegal, nor is there a restriction on how many meters you can change lanes before and after.

Yes, I do know this is from 2005

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/80361/behind-the-wheel-march-16-2005/

speedog
07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Fools, WTF is this argument over changing lanes in the intersection all about - Kritafo changed lanes before the intersection. Geez, guys getting their panties all twisted up over something that didn't happen - typical Beyond.

lilmira
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
To properly do a lane change, wouldn't you need to signal? Wouldn't going through an intersection with signals on confuse the heck out of people. That's my thought.

We like to derail like there is no tomorrow lol

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 07:44 AM
if I thought for a minute should would change her story I would have called the police. But since she took the blame we walked away with each others info |I thought...ahh no big deal we will just call insurance piece of cake, and yes we had changed lanes before the intersection. But with no witnesses and two differing stories we both have to claim fault. I am going for our appraisal today...can't wait to hear how much this will cost of us for playing nice and left with a promise and a handshake. I did however find a great diagram program for traffic accidents.

http://www.accidentsketch.com/ there are probably waaaay better ones, but I used this it was simple and quick the insurance lady was thrilled. I sent pics of the accident scene damage to both cars. I was a great helper. lol.

lilmira
07-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Good picture is worth a thousand words. Insurance companies don't recommend people to admit fault and the other party could deny anything right then and there anyways. A good report with some good pictures are your best defense, witness sure helps if you can find one. Good luck.

CapnCrunch
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Fools, WTF is this argument over changing lanes in the intersection all about - Kritafo changed lanes before the intersection. Geez, guys getting their panties all twisted up over something that didn't happen - typical Beyond.

The woman is claiming he changed lanes as she was turning from 46th onto Bow Trail, otherwise known as an intersection.

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 08:53 AM
and by the sounds or it, and looks of it on streetview of google, even if my husband did lane change in the intersection it was legal ? correct. That is my understanding, even the google street view indicates by the markings on the road you could still change lanes. No solid line on the markings.

speedog
07-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
The woman is claiming he changed lanes as she was turning from 46th onto Bow Trail, otherwise known as an intersection. Well,, OP claims to have made lane change before intersection and besides that, the other party had to proceed past a stop sign to enter Bow Trail while traffic on Bow Trail would have the right of way - other party would still be at fault. Google Streetview of location from other car's perspective (http://goo.gl/maps/ydN9)

SilverGS
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Same thing happened to me. Some girl hit the back bumper of my vehicle when I had the right of way in the parking lot. At the scene she expressed big apologies and admitted fault but the next day after talking with a lawyer friend her story changed to try and state both at fault so each their own damage.

Her jeep had a metal bumper and had no damage but my bumper needed to be replaced.

I told her how she thought she would win seeing as she hit my rear bumper indicating I got to the intersection way ahead of her. She basically told me she was told just to say I was speeding when I wasn't :banghead:.

In the end I got a witness from the gas station nearby who saw it and settled for half. Still pisses me off to this day.

GL OP

got_mike33
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Well,, OP claims to have made lane change before intersection and besides that, the other party had to proceed past a stop sign to enter Bow Trail while traffic on Bow Trail would have the right of way - other party would still be at fault. Google Streetview of location from other car's perspective (http://goo.gl/maps/ydN9)

I wouldn't even consider that an intersection. I drive that road almost daily and wouldn't think twice about changing lanes at that point. If you had been a bit further east, she might have a case, but at that point it is pretty clear that all the traffic on bow trail has the right of way and she would have to yield to you.

Disoblige
07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
It's unfortunate but you really have to think the worst in people. It's very rare these days for people to take responsibility for their actions, to the point that people are praised for it if they do. :nut:

I hope you don't get dinged 50/50 for this OP.

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
just got off the phone again with insurance...they don't seem to give a rats butt about the traffic laws which is insanely annoying.

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
and now I am going to search for the laws on right hand turns entering a dual lane. fun times! Just to further annoy myself... I don't even want to drive the van now, I didn't have a scratch on it never even used those brushes at the car wash so no swirly marks. .. ugh.

speedog
07-11-2012, 10:10 AM
No police report we can assume - if damage was over $2,000 total to both vehicles (link (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3119.htm)) then the incident should've been reported to the police immediately and $2,000 is really nothing these days.

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I wish I would have known ... coulda woulda shoulda. I think if we wouldn't have had an appointment to get to we would have called the police. Not knowing how much the repair bill was going to be didn't help either. How can one determine the cost really? I mean if the van was totalled we could tell.. bumper came off and bent rim...wasn't sure.

FraserB
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I think you should still be able to file a report with the police.

phillywu
07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
you should go to a station and file a report. If the shop determines the damage will cost more than $2000 you'll have to have the police filing before they are willing to work on it... or something.

similar thing happened to me recently. I got hit, and went to the police station the next day to file, showed the officer the pictures I had and all relevant info and he did the rest. He wrote me up a little damage slip thing and told me that if the damage costs more than $2k that I'll need that slip.

CapnCrunch
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Well,, OP claims to have made lane change before intersection and besides that, the other party had to proceed past a stop sign to enter Bow Trail while traffic on Bow Trail would have the right of way - other party would still be at fault. Google Streetview of location from other car's perspective (http://goo.gl/maps/ydN9)

I agree. Now you understand why people were discussing if it was legal to change lanes in an intersection. Even if he did (which the woman is claiming), it's still her fault.

Cliffs: this woman is dumb and will have to pay up.

Kritafo
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by phillywu
you should go to a station and file a report. If the shop determines the damage will cost more than $2000 you'll have to have the police filing before they are willing to work on it... or something.

similar thing happened to me recently. I got hit, and went to the police station the next day to file, showed the officer the pictures I had and all relevant info and he did the rest. He wrote me up a little damage slip thing and told me that if the damage costs more than $2k that I'll need that slip.

Yup this is exactly what happened. Our van is not safe to drive. Rear axle is bent. Good thing we got into the shop as quickly as we did, and now we are in a rental. We had to go file the report the estimate is just over 3k.

Her insurance and registration have different names and addresses and the insurance policy she provided us with isn't the insurance policy that her insurance faxed over. So the police are anxious to speak with her. CPS was great, we went to the Market Mall location since it was the closest to the dealership, he was saying same thing happened to his sister and that what a sad world when people can't do the honourable thing. He told us if we are ever in an accident again to call 911. CPS said they don't want to be called but if you do they have to come and deal with it then and there. Like I said...if I had only known this all before. We tried to keep the police out of it, and in the end that bit us in the wallet.

So damage sticker is in the window and who knows how long we will be driving the rental.

Stealth22
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Her insurance and registration have different names and addresses and the insurance policy she provided us with isn't the insurance policy that her insurance faxed over. So the police are anxious to speak with her.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0r86g0RNr1qa1zvj.jpg

Keep updating, OP! Good luck! :thumbsup: