PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on repairing hail damage.

Kjonus
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
So here's the deal, the gf's 04 Mazda 3 got hammered in that hail storm last week and the adjuster gave us a quote of $4100 to repair minus the $250 deductible. Now what I'm thinking as we have been tossing around the idea about selling the car anyways would we be better off taking the money and not fixing it and sell the car for $3000-$4000, as from what I can tell people are asking anywhere from $3500 to $9000 on Kijiji. The people who are selling on the higher end aren't going to get that for a run of the mill commuter car. But at $4000 someone would be getting a great car with only 145,000kms

What do you guys think?

heavyD
07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
You are going to get less than market value for a hail damaged car.

G-ZUS
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
pics of hail damage?

black13
07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Noooo point at all to fix it cause you will lose more money probably.

And why even sell it? Your gonna lose money fixing it or selling it so might as well drive it till you really really don't need the car or till something else breaks down.

Kjonus
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
The way I'm looking at it is even fixed, I'd at best get $6000, which I think is high hopes. So if I keep the $4000 and sell for $3000 I'd be $1000 ahead. Now am correct me if I'm wrong can't I just claim the money which the adjuster is quoting? Or do I have to get it fixed? (Never had to make a claim before) The damage isn't that bad (I'll post some pics later) and really, someone who's looking for a $3000 car isn't or shouldn't be that concerned about a dimpled car.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Kjonus
Now am correct me if I'm wrong can't I just claim the money which the adjuster is quoting?

So your repair estimate is $4,100 and your insurance is allowing you have the option of taking the full amount?

euro_racer
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Id say you have high hopes if you think you will get $3000 for a hail damaged car seeing as how many there are in the market for 4-6k ASKING PRICE (every price is negotiable when it comes to selling), a few having similar km as yours and no damage... you can see with them what they appraise your car at and see if they will/can/want to write it off (doubt it but its worth a shot IMO). if that does not work out, take the $4000, keep car, sell car for 1000-2000....essentially it all works out to be the same no matter what route you go, usually its hard to end up "ahead" unless you get real lucky and someone is crazy enough to give you $3k for a damaged car that's worth 4-5 not damaged.

Khyron
07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Take the cash, find a cheaper home-pdr guy and get it done for 3K or less.

dsilvia89
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Take the cash, find a cheaper home-pdr guy and get it done for 3K or less.

THIS ^^

If you say the damage isnt even that bad, it makes the pdr job a whole lot easier. I am a pdr tech, if this were my vehicle i would take the cash, fix the dents and be laughing.

georgemagana
07-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Take the money and keep the car or trade it in. You won't lose any more money than what you usually do when trading in plus you already took the cash. And yes your company will give you the option to take the money but you won't be able to ever put hail damage coverage on that car again unless it is fully repaired and you prove it to them

G-ZUS
07-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana
And yes your company will give you the option to take the money but you won't be able to ever put hail damage coverage on that car again unless it is fully repaired and you prove it to them

You won't be able to put comprehensive coverage at all (fire, theft, vandalism etc)

BigShow
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

You won't be able to put comprehensive coverage at all (fire, theft, vandalism etc)

You can, but any payout would be limited.

G-ZUS
07-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BigShow

You can, but any payout would be limited.

Maybe it depends on your insurance company. I've had 4 cars damaged by hail in the past 2 years, took the payout and my insurance company would not allow me to put comprehensive on them again.

BigShow
07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Maybe it depends on your insurance company. I've had 4 cars damaged by hail in the past 2 years, took the payout and my insurance company would not allow me to put comprehensive on them again.

Agreed, it must vary.