PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? House/Traveling Question Inside!

brucebanner
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
So I've been mulling an idea over for the last couple of months and just looking for some other peoples take on what they would do. Also, I'm 25 with nothing really hindering me from doing this, if it makes any difference.

I have the ability to change my work schedule from 1 week on / 1 week off, to working 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off. I like the current shift I have but have been thinking heavily on changing to the new available shift so I can travel a lot more. I haven't traveled at all really.

So the real issue at hand is if I plan on going traveling every rotation off, I don't really see the need to own a house, that I believe I can sell for a small profit, if not break even. Sell the rest of my possessions(vehicles etc etc) and rent a room closer to an airport then I am in Red Deer. That way I would cut my expenses significantly while traveling as well as taking care of some debt a little quicker.

I really like the idea of traveling around, seeing the world and doing what ever I want to do to an even greater extent then I already do.

As for anyone suggesting I rent out my house, I don't really want to be a landlord and being away a high percentage of the time, I wouldn't want or really be able to deal with tenants. Also, I considering moving back East to be closer to family. So, I've been thinking about this route before building/buying a house closer to family, that way I can "broaden my horizons" before settling into a mortgage once again.

What would you do Beyond? What do you think the pros & cons would be?

msommers
07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm in the exact same situation and honestly, I chose travelling. The choice was harder than I thought it would be because seeing how far ahead on a house I could be rather than fucking off to some place on the other side of the planet seemed irresponsible. But you can't buy back your youth and the way you travel now will differ from 10-20 years from now. My parents were a big influence on this decision as well. Both of them are very well off now, travelling the globe and enjoying it, but in some ways regretting not doing it earlier even if it meant harder times now. So they really encouraged me to go out there and do stuff. And I can safely say it's been one of the best decisions of my life. There is a time to really hunker down and start worrying about a mortgage and kids etc but for me, now is not that time. I'll be 27 in Sept.

One funny comment came up tonight from a guy that just bought a condo. To paraphrase, he said that no girl is going to take you seriously if you're renting at 30 (we weren't even talking about this thread subject). I can see that being the case in Calgary with a lot of girls but to me, I really don't give a fuck.

thrasher22
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Travel. Everyone in the world will tell you how much they want to travel, but none of them are ever willing to buckle down and do it. I've bailed on my life twice in the last 4 years to go traveling and easily spent the equivalent of a healthy house down payment both times and have no regrets. My friends are all starting to pull ahead of me financially and career wise, but I wouldn't change any of the adventures I've had. If you're never home and are thinking about renting anyways, there might not be a point to owning instead of rent. Nothing wrong with staying liquid...

That being said... unless you have a travel partner, working two weeks solid, then traveling two weeks, too often might get lonely. You can travel on your own for ages and be okay, but coming back to work would make it tough.

THE GOVERNATOR
07-12-2012, 01:14 AM
if you decide to travel for 2 weeks every month, it would probably be cheaper to ask a family member with a spare room to rent for like $200 a month. (just for some storage and a bed).

personally, myself... after a a duration spent away from home nothing is better than a home cooked meal:thumbsup:

sl888
07-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Travel!
You could always find a property management company to take care of your place while you rent. That way you'll have a place when you decide you've seen enough of the world, which will be never. Too much to see out there!
On my 3 month Asia vacation I had 2 weeks to myself. It was awesome. It can be lonely but you'll meet lots of people.

dingbathero
07-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Travel.

You don't want to say to yourself, I should have, could have - but didn't get out and see the world.

brucebanner
07-12-2012, 07:51 AM
It is a tough choice msommers. I can't sell my place until summer is over, as I committed to housing a friend until they go back to school in the September.

As far as any girls not taking me serious, that's the least of my worries as well. That would be a shallow quality I don't need to be around :devil:

thrasher22: As far as my career goes, I wouldn't be taking a step back because of the 2/2 schedule. Guess there would be times that I didn't want to leave where ever I was. Probably the biggest issue I would have.

I do think the traveling alone would get to me after awhile, but I think I would be able to travel with friends the odd time too.

THE GOVERNATOR: All of my family is on the East coast except for a couple of cousins further away from a city then I am. I would likely look for a place to stay in Calgary as I do miss the city from time to time and I fly out of Calgary or Edmonton for work, so it would be convenient as well.

sl888: That would be another option, one I may have to look into. Still don't like the idea of renters, even with a management company looking after it.

dingbathero: You sir, are correct. :thumbsup:

Such a big decision, guess I have more thinking to do. Any Beyonders have a nice room they would want to rent to someone that would not be around often at all.:rofl:

Feruk
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Travel while you're young. I did and am still doing it. Sure I could've saved all my cash and had a smaller mortgage (if I had bought), but that's not what makes a person happy. When you're 40, do you want memories of all the cool places you saw in your 20's, or memories of lower mortgage statements? Plus people who don't do any travelling often turn out being redneck hicks uneducated about the ways of the world.

I still don't get why you'd wanna sell your house though... Rent, management company, done. Think of it as an investment. Unless you've got a better place to move that money, leave it be.

dexlargo
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Sounds like #YOLO!

Travel 2 weeks every month? I like travelling, but that's a lot. For me, 3 trips a year would be more than enough, and beyond that, I start to long for more time in my home base. But it's your life, and you'll figure out what works for you.

Maybe you could try the schedule for a few months before you decide to sell your house?

Perceptionist
07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Keep in mind that only having 2 weeks at a time to travel will add a huge cost and give you a different experience than going for one long trip. If you've never travelled before, maybe you should keep the house and go on one or two of these 2 week vacations before making a decision. There might be times when you finish your 2 week shift and really don't feel like hopping on a plane.

ringmaster
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm another person in favor of travel. I'm 26 and essentially take 2 to 3 months off work each year (between vacation and unpaid leave) to travel. I don't go any place crazy but I've been to Vegas twice, Mexico, Penticton and Kelowna within the last 12 months. I'd like to see Japan next year and then return to Australia for a visit.

The mental refreshment and general knowledge that comes from travel for me is priceless.. doesn't even matter where you go, solo or with a friend/girlfriend, if you are in the right frame of mind you will really enjoy it.

You have an overwhelming response in this thread from those who support travel. :D

msommers
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I think that is because people who travel, love travelling, have the bug and like to chat about it, and mostly encourage it. People who are more fixed on getting a home are commonly less vocal and understand it's a personal choice (because really, who is going to downplay travelling or vacations). Or they think it's fucking crazy to blow through thousands of dollars and want to keep a low profile :rofl: A friend of mine was kind of laughing when I told him where I had planned to go all summer and jokingly asked, "where are you off to now? Wow must be nice to be able to do all that" as if I've somehow come into a fortune and decided to be a beach bum. He on the other hand dreams of travelling while being on a 40-yr mortgage. Neither is right or wrong (ok 40-yr is stretching it) but you get my point.

Different cultures view travelling differently as well in terms of priorities. Talk to any Aussie or BC resident. Then talk to the typical Albertan.

arian_ma
07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Another vote for traveling here.

The way that I see it, people who work hard when they're young to live an easier life when they are older are basically saying this:

"My time now is worth less than my time when I am older, so I am going to work hard now and enjoy life later."

Not saying that statement is wrong, but to me it's the other way around. You decide which way your mentality is, and from there on I'd say the decisions make themselves.

taemo
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds to me you love travelling so I would say go for it.
Have to agree with everyone that the best time to travel is when you are young (20-35), that's when you are most energetic, you will meet and make lots of friends and will learn actual real life lessons.
(I'm not a big fan of those stale resort types of vacations, I love exploring and sight-seeing)

That said however, I would say that you should play it smart and always saving your money as most people will not want to be on the road alone all the time, it varies per person but I believe that one day you will just wake up or meet someone special that will make you want to settle down permanently.

But if you are young and single, go out and enjoy the world.

max_boost
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

I really like the idea of traveling around, seeing the world and doing what ever I want to do to an even greater extent then I already do.

You answered your own question right here. Sometimes it's not so much you are looking for advice, you just want to be heard. I hear you man. YOLO. If traveling is what you enjoy, go do more of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with renting a 1br unit to sleep in and allocating your funds to see the world. Live your life for you. All this nonsense about not having a house by 30 will not get you any ass is exactly that, non sense. I'm a baller, drive a 911, have my own place and I got no bitches so I focus on what I do best, acquire more currency, and for you, just enjoy your travels. :thumbsup: :rofl:

brucebanner
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Overwhelming response in favor of traveling so far.

The reason I bring up selling my home(touched on it slightly in the OP), is that after getting back from a lengthy vacation back home to visit family, I have come to realize that I miss being home around my family and friends I grew up with. I do have a good group of people out here but it pales in comparison to "back home".

So the idea was to sell everything I have of value(home, cars etc.) and travel on my days off for an extended period of time, 6 to 12 months or longer if I wanted. Once I had my fill of traveling, I would purchase a piece of land and build a house. Continue to work my 2 week on / 2 week off schedule and putting some time in at the family business. Setting myself up slowly to push my dad aside and take over for him, switching careers at the same time.

I have lots of traveling to do to make up for the lack of traveling I've done in my life. That seems to be the way I'm leaning, just have to figure out the small decisions that roll into a bigger one with time.

Max: That reply killed me, so much truth to it but so many laughs. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep it coming guys. :thumbsup:

95teetee
07-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I think that is because people who travel, love travelling, have the bug and like to chat about it, and mostly encourage it.
you hit the nail on the head there.
Since I bought my house in 2000 I think I've spent four nights away from home.

...although since my central air died yesterday, away might look good for a few days:rofl: