PDA

View Full Version : Help me divide up my bodyparts

Modelexis
07-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Trying to set up a routine that allows me the most time in the gym.

Major focus areas in question:

-Quads
-Hams
-Chest
-Back
-Shoulders
-Calves
-Biceps
-Triceps

How does a routine like this look? Naturally, I can only recover fast enough to fit in about 3 gym days a week, but is there any major flaws with a routine like this?

M-Quads-Calves
T
W
T-Back-Biceps
F
S-Hams-Something Else
S
M-Chest-Triceps
T
W-Quads-Shoulders
T
F
S-Back-Triceps
S
M
T-Hams-Biceps
W
T
F-Chest-Shoulders
S

etc.

NewLextasy
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Pm'd

Darkane
07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Trying to set up a routine that allows me the most time in the gym.

Major focus areas in question:

-Quads
-Hams
-Chest
-Back
-Shoulders
-Calves
-Biceps
-Triceps

How does a routine like this look? Naturally, I can only recover fast enough to fit in about 3 gym days a week, but is there any major flaws with a routine like this?

M-Quads-Calves
T
W
T-Back-Biceps
F
S-Hams-Something Else
S
M-Chest-Triceps
T
W-Quads-Shoulders
T
F
S-Back-Triceps
S
M
T-Hams-Biceps
W
T
F-Chest-Shoulders
S

etc.

To much time between major body parts.

3 days/wk is better suited to a Push/Pull/Legs Split.

Day1) Push - Something like this:

1) DB squeeze press 3x10

2) Heavy sets 6x3 of whatever (Incline bench for example, and ramping the weight to a top set of 3)

3) Speed sets of the same movement (50% of 1RM) 3x3

4) 3x10 Lateral raises shoulder pre-pump

5) Push Press 6x3 Ramping weight

6) Wide grip Standing military press for the shoulder stretch 3x6 (50% 1RM)

Day 2)

1) Straight arm pull downs 3x10 Focus on the contraction rather than moving heavy weight

2) Chin ups 8x3

3) BB Row 4x6

4) Seated neutral grip cable rows 3x8

5) 1-handed DB row 3x12-15. As heavy as possible. This will build grip, forearms, and awesomeness. Also known as Kroc rows.

Day 3) LEGS

1) Quad pre-pump Lightweight leg extension, feel the contraction. 3x10.

2) Front Squat 6x3-5 Ramping weight to a top set.
2b) Between every squat set do lightweight lying ham curls x10 reps to get a ham pump. This will stabilize the knee better for the squats!

3) Leg press 2x20. This will build monster legs. Go as heavy as possible. if you get to 15 reps, rest 5 seconds and keep hammering till 20 reps. just don't fail at all.

4) Sumo Deadlift 2x5

5) Romanian deadlift (Barbell or Dumbbells) 3x8.

Viola!

If you have spare time throw in a 4th day as Arms.

403ep3
07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
The title is a little misleading haha..I first thought of luka magnotta:barf:

Modelexis
07-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Darkane - I don't think I have the energy and stamina to complete a leg day that you described.

I like to start my leg day with stretching and start with 95lbs on the bar and go through the movements until my joints warm up and I feel my mobility increase to a level that feels complete. Then I start to increase the weight by 40lbs and do 2-3 sets, then increased by 50lbs and a couple more sets, then I increase the weight by 20lbs and try to do this until I reach my peak weight (usually 265). Then I like to drop the weight by 20lbs and do a couple sets and then again down 20lbs and a few more sets.

I don't like the way my knees feel when I use the leg press machine, I still have to find a comfortable position.
I'm just starting to find my form on the front squat, but my back feels like it wants to arch so I have not used any weight above 95lbs until I can figure that out.

Afterwards I'm pretty much ruined and there is no chance for any extra leg workouts following, especially any major ham work which is why I added hams on it's own day so that I don't leave the muscle too far behind in development.

After my quad workout I pretty much only have energy for light movements such as curls and light shoulder press.

Darkane
07-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Darkane - I don't think I have the energy and stamina to complete a leg day that you described.

I like to start my leg day with stretching and start with 95lbs on the bar and go through the movements until my joints warm up and I feel my mobility increase to a level that feels complete. Then I start to increase the weight by 40lbs and do 2-3 sets, then increased by 50lbs and a couple more sets, then I increase the weight by 20lbs and try to do this until I reach my peak weight (usually 265). Then I like to drop the weight by 20lbs and do a couple sets and then again down 20lbs and a few more sets.

I don't like the way my knees feel when I use the leg press machine, I still have to find a comfortable position.
I'm just starting to find my form on the front squat, but my back feels like it wants to arch so I have not used any weight above 95lbs until I can figure that out.

Afterwards I'm pretty much ruined and there is no chance for any extra leg workouts following, especially any major ham work which is why I added hams on it's own day so that I don't leave the muscle too far behind in development.

After my quad workout I pretty much only have energy for light movements such as curls and light shoulder press.

Legs:

1) Leg Extension Pre-pump 3x15 reps, light weight.

2) Squat 5x5

3) Hack Squat 2x8

4) Power cleans 2x5

5) Lying Ham curls 3x15 post workout Pump.

:dunno:

And about the knees, that's exactly why a pre-pump or Leg extension then light Hamstring pumping during rest of a legpress or squat main movement will flow blood to the joint and support it.

Also it sounds like your legs are caving in. Actively try to push them outward by engaging your glutes.

try this on the Leg press:

1) Low back as flat and tight into the seat as possible

2) Feet 1" wider than shoulder width AND outward angle of 30-45Deg

3) Place Feet 'slightly' higher than you'd think. It engages more Hamstring and less stress on the knees

4) Lower weight keeping the WHOLE body as tight as possible.

5) Explode upward ACTIVELY forcing your knees outward. Concentrate on using your glutes to do this.

Use light weight to feel the movement then ramp it up and grow.

Modelexis
07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, it gives me some new things to try out.

I've had squat days where I really notice my glutes are punished and sore afterwards, and other times not so much.

scboss
07-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah like stated above way to much time in between your split. Your gains will be very minimal

I train tons of clients on 3 day splits

Day 1
Squat
Leg Press
Lunge
Stiff legged Deadlift
Calves
Core

Day2
Flat Bench
Incline DB
Flys
Barbell Curl
Dips
Reverse Curls

Day 3
Deadlift
Standing Shoulder Press
Pullups
DB Rows
Side Raises
Upright Row

To be honest tho for bodybuilding style training you need minimum 4-5 days a week. If I were you id stick to a strength style program so that you see way better gains and just watch ur diet. Just my 2 cents

scboss
07-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Btw when i say strength this is what im doing now

Deadlifts
Front Squats
Pullups (lower chest hits bar)
Incline Alt Press
Dips

Squats
Sumo Deadlifts
Power Bench
DB Row
DB Snatch

Cleans and Jerk
Drop Snatches
Lat Pulldowns
Bicep Curls
Dips

on my off days I do cardio and accessory stuff like good mornings glute ham raises etc.

Also great thing about this kinda training is lots of variety. It blows me away how many people have a chest day when they cant even do a pullup. Hit you weakness's twice a week. As someone that works at a gym and trains lots of people I can say one thing. You may look big but if you cant even do the most functional movements you look retarded.

Modelexis
07-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I would need some major AAS injected into my body to sustain a 5 day a week routine at the gym, or a much lower intensity than my current lifting. :)

I could work out 5 days a week if I dropped the weight and stayed way away from my max, but how do I find out if it's worth it to do more volume and less weight?

I might spend 3 days a week in the gym, but I spend the remaining 4 off days in complete muscle rebuild mode, isn't that better?

scboss
07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
I would need some major AAS injected into my body to sustain a 5 day a week routine at the gym, or a much lower intensity than my current lifting. :)

I could work out 5 days a week if I dropped the weight and stayed way away from my max, but how do I find out if it's worth it to do more volume and less weight?

I might spend 3 days a week in the gym, but I spend the remaining 4 off days in complete muscle rebuild mode, isn't that better?

The thing is tho you have bodybuilder mentality. You are splitting up your body into different groups. If this is the case you can take them to max and let them recover while focusing on other parts.

Volume + less weight = size (splits/isolations) easier on nervous system so less rest required
low reps + heavy weight = strength (complex mvmnts)
harder on nervous system so more rest required

Really it depends on yours goals

Modelexis
07-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm really good at building size in my quads/hams but I really struggle to put on size in my upper body.

Size is really all I care about in my upper body.

I do want to bust out a one rep of 300lbs on the back squat within the next 2 years, but apart from that all I care about is size.