PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Registry Closure Starting July 12

dannie
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Just an FYI to the great users of Beyond....

Due to the explosion at Shaw, registry services across the province have been shut down. The only services available at offices are corporate registries, APPRES and vital statistics. The government of Alberta does not anticipate services to be back up and running before the weekend.

Therefore, the majority of registry offices in the Calgary area are closing or leaving a skeleton crew at the office to handle inquiries.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Fuck! I need to register my ATV!

Masked Bandit
07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Holy Hanna that's going to make a mess of things.

narou
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
I registered the day before.. Lucky or not?

bighead2267
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
i don't see the registry next door closed.

HyperZell
07-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
i don't see the registry next door closed.

Go and try to register something.

BananaFob
07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Land titles down too :(

HyperZell
07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
Land titles down too :(

Y U sad bro?

Take pity on the poor guy that was supposed to sign today!

BananaFob
07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Y U sad bro?

Take pity on the poor guy that was supposed to sign today!

Because I have clients without title insurance that are supposed to fund on monday. They be mad bro.

dannie
07-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Update: There is none. GOA has no ETA and does not expect registry services to be up before Monday afternoon at the earliest.

dannie
07-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Another Update: Still no news from Alberta government. Sytems are still down except Corporate, Vital stats and personal property. The majority of offices are shut down until further notice.

dj_rice
07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Fug Fug fug, I raced down to Reg Friday as they close at 6pm. Arrive at 5:30 only to find out, they closed at 5pm due to Province Wide Outage. Go on Saturday and same shit. This is in Edmonton by the way. :banghead: :banghead:

dannie
07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
It's a province wide issue... Everyone's shit out of luck for a while no matter where you live in Alberta

dannie
07-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Stil no news from Service Alberta. Rumor around registries is that the systems *may* resume Tuesday.

Keep in mind, all police agencies are aware of the outage and are being asked to use discretion when dealing with clients who are affected by this. The minister of service Alberta has agreed to a couple exemptions during the outage and they can be found here -> http://alberta.ca/acn/201207/3267482B44ECC-C79A-4508-E910168A2FFA0943.html

dannie
07-15-2012, 05:02 PM
It's been confirmed that registry services will continue to be inoperable Monday. Ive been told today that media outlets have been stating all services are back to normal, please remember this is for shaw services (ie: Internet, cable etc), NOT for Alberta Registries. The registries are able to process vital statistics, corporate and appres, but no other services may be done.

U4RIA
07-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the updates dannie. This is such a frustrating process. I've been waiting since the fire to register my vehicle. This sucks...

Please keep the updates coming as soon as you get them! Greatly appreciated

Originally posted by dannie
It's been confirmed that registry services will continue to be inoperable Monday. Ive been told today that media outlets have been stating all services are back to normal, please remember this is for shaw services (ie: Internet, cable etc), NOT for Alberta Registries. The registries are able to process vital statistics, corporate and appres, but no other services may be done.

dannie
07-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Not a problem. Beyond has been helpful to me in the past, I figure it's only right to do the same :)

That being said... Here is the latest information bulletin. It is stating that there is an option to obtain temporary intransit permits from registries if you've bought a new vehicle. However, registries were required to surrender all paper intransit to the government a few years ago, so none of us have them in office. I am assuming they are sending out a batch to all offices in the morning. So don't be surprised if this service is not available immediately.

http://alberta.ca/acn/201207/326778CEDB568-E1B8-1D5F-3B8428E4A872B8EF.html

dannie
07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Annnnnnnddd as I typed my latest update, registries confirmed how agents are to issue intransit permits for vehicles. However, it is only for newly purchased vehicles. Do not go to a registry to obtain a permit for an expired vehicle, they will not be issued.

U4RIA
07-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I've been hearing today that Tuesday as a fairly sure date that all services would be back to normal with the registries and citizens will then be able to register their vehicles...

How accurate is this information?

Not a problem. Beyond has been helpful to me in the past, I figure it's only right to do the same :)

That being said... Here is the latest information bulletin. It is stating that there is an option to obtain temporary intransit permits from registries if you've bought a new vehicle. However, registries were required to surrender all paper intransit to the government a few years ago, so none of us have them in office. I am assuming they are sending out a batch to all offices in the morning. So don't be surprised if this service is not available immediately.

http://alberta.ca/acn/201207/326778CEDB568-E1B8-1D5F-3B8428E4A872B8EF.html

dannie
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
To be honest.... iBM was just allowed into the site on Saturday. So, my guess would be late Tues-Wed at the earliest. All we get told from IT is that no one knows and not to expect anything.

They were certain we'd be up by Monday... And clearly that wasn't the case.

HuMz
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Such a pain in the ass missed the due date on my photo radar ticket, going to have to wait now until the 24th.

dannie
07-15-2012, 10:09 PM
It's ridiculous... The unfortunate thing is that the public started taking their frustration out on registry agents. We get crapped on a lot, but the last few days have been brutal. With the media coverage not being explicit either about what services are available or not available, it only makes the situation worse.

got_mike33
07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi Dannie, thanks for all the updates, it's super appreciated! Can you explain the intransit permits a little more? I purchased a used car on Wednesday and have been waiting to register it. Would this fall under the "new" vehicle category? I have never had a vehicle registered in my name before so I can't just switch plates like the government suggested.

dannie
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Yup, that would fall under the intransit category. Pop by an office (call first because a lot of offices are still not going to open), and being your insurance for the new car, bill of sale and drivers Licence. You will recieve a stupid looking piece of paper that will be valid for 14 days within Canada.

ianmcc
07-16-2012, 07:50 AM
OK here is a question-need to get my Q endorsement on my licence. Just need to take the knowledge test-I have the air brake training done already.
Can I get that done with the system as it is?

dannie
07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Nope

ianmcc
07-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks. Any ETA on when things will be up?

dannie
07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
I don't think they have a clue. They told everyone that it would be up Monday (on Friday) and they are currently no where near getting it running.

got_mike33
07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Just talked to someone at AMA, they said it wouldn't be today and was only a maybe tomorrow... What a frustrating situation for all involved.

guessboi
07-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I can't pull any driver abstract since Friday. :banghead:

dannie
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Legislation has been extended to expired vehicles as well. If your motor vehicle has expired, you may go to a registry to obtain an intransit permit for the expired vehicle. You will be required to register it upon the system being operable, but in the meantime you can get a 14 day permit.

got_mike33
07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I went to AMA and received an in-transit sticker. They did not issue me a plate though and I was just wondering if this was the correct procedure?

One registry I talked to said I would get a plate, while the AMA lady said all I needed was the sticker in the front windshield and I might get pulled over as cops might be confused as to why I don't have a back plate. If this is the case I may just wait til the registries are back online and just get a plate then.

Masked Bandit
07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
dannie, I have received word from a client that the system is up & live as of now, can you please confirm?

I don't know which office he was at.

dannie
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
@ Masked... Client is wrong. Vistas, corporate and personal property are available and temporary intransit are being issues. Everything else is a no go.

@got... The sticker is correct. Put it in the windshield and you are ok to drive within Canada for 14 days. However, when the system is back up, you have to go back to the registry and register it properly with a plate.

dannie
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
@got... As well, when you receive the intransit, you will get a copy of the information bulletin. Keep it in your car until the system is up.

got_mike33
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
@got... As well, when you receive the intransit, you will get a copy of the information bulletin. Keep it in your car until the system is up.

All I got was the in-transit sticker, nothing about the information bulletin. Can I print that off the internet or pick up a copy somewhere?

dannie
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Here ya go: http://www.servicealberta.com/ and it's on the first page

got_mike33
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Here ya go: http://www.servicealberta.com/ and it's on the first page

Much appreciated!

dannie
07-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Apparently they are beginning to test the computer systems tonite for registries. They are "cautiously optimistic" about the systems coming up sometime tomorrow.

I will let y'all know what the scoop is as soon as I know.

On behalf of all registries, thanks for your patience. When the systems come up, please remember that all offices are going to be doing their best to deal with the obscene amount of services that will need to be completed. So your continued patience is greatly appreciated :)

JLau
07-16-2012, 07:12 PM
i heard it might be as late as end of the week

dannie
07-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm not holding my breath for tomorrow. That's simply what we were told in the last hour.

As I said, I will update everyone as soon as I have any new info

dannie
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Based on tests performed this evening, the chances of registries being operational for tomorrow is 95%. They are sorting out a number of smaller issues and we will know tomorrow at 7am if we will be fully functional or not.

dj_rice
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

U4RIA
07-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dannie!!!

dannie
07-16-2012, 10:02 PM
No problem guys. I will update this thread as soon as we know anything else.

dannie
07-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen - I am pleased to announce that the Alberta Registry system is back up and running. Offices will be open their regular business hours.

As a side note. Please remember that the registries will be inundated with clients hoping to resolve their issues from the last week. The staff are doing their best to assist you and get you in and out in a timely fashion.

Thanks again for your patience and thanks in advance from all registry owners and staff for your continued patience as we deal with the backlog.

U4RIA
07-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Yes!!! Thanks again for the updates Dannie

dannie
07-17-2012, 07:33 AM
You're very welcome

got_mike33
07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks again Dannie! Just wondering if you are getting slammed today with people or if it is still pretty quiet at the moment. Would love to come in and get my plate today, but I definitely can't be standing around in line for 2 hours haha.

Masked Bandit
07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I love having a Beyond in-house registry expert on the board for the inside scoop.

dannie
07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
@ Got.... we were slammed first thing in the morning and have been fielding calls more than actual people. I anticipate that most offices will be busy starting later today and tomorrow.

@ Masked... Awww, thanks buddy. I appreciate the love... lol

FraserB
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I don't know about everyone else but I love having a Beyond in-house registry expert on the board for the inside scoop.

I'll second this. The service that I got was probably the best so far, a bit out of my way but nice to deal with non-retarded registry people for once.

dannie
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks Fraser!

Like I said before, Beyond has been handy for me, so I figured it's only fair to help out with what I can :)

nismodrifter
07-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks again for keeping members updated on this situation. Media outlets were very unclear at numerous points throughout the week regarding the status of your services, it really helps to hear news straight from a person in the field.

Best of luck dealing with the back log! :nut:

dannie
07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
You're welcome. Registries were beyond mortified by the lack of communication with media and with what the media was saying. Due to their lack of understanding, they were consistent in misinforming the public. Hopefully, should something like this arise again.... it is dealt with in a much better manner.

got_mike33
07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I went to the AMA in Sunridge today to get a plate. It took about 30 minutes to get through the line with about 7 people ahead of me. They were very quick and efficient and it didn't seem like anybody was too frustrated with the outages. Now I have a new plate and can go rip around in my new car! So stoked!

dannie
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Awesome! I'm glad it all worked out for you!

dj_rice
07-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll prolli wait till next week so the lines die down before I go. Thanks for updating us dannie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dj_rice
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33
Thanks again Dannie! Just wondering if you are getting slammed today

:thumbsup:

dannie
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
You're welcome Dj... But keep in mind, next weeks gonna be the same. It's the start of month end for vehicle renewals for July :)