PDA

View Full Version : similiar sunglasses

My_name_is_Rob
07-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Hey guys/girls

I am in the market for new sunglasses, and i like the fitment of the Oakley Batwolfs and Gascans. ( no i dont drive a lifted F350 :D )

Just wondering if anybody has a favorite kind that is similiar, and somewhat durable, with a decent warranty?

I mostly wear them for an alternative to safety glasses, hence why I like the wider arms.

Rob :clap:

jivnatividad
07-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Try Oakley Fuel Cells and Eyepatch 2s! If you buy from Sunglass Hut, its buy one get 50% off the next pair! Plus if you damage them within 3 months, they'll replace it for free, then after 3 months to 1 year, its a 50% discount on a new pair. :thumbsup:

HiSpec
07-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Maui Jim. Better optics than Oakley. All polarized.

My_name_is_Rob
07-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Maui Jim. Better optics than Oakley. All polarized.

How durable are they? And judging from how their prices seem on par with oakleys, how is their warranty?

HiSpec
07-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

How durable are they? And judging from how their prices seem on par with oakleys, how is their warranty?

I find the build quality of MJ is a lot better than Oakley. However, I've sent back one particular model of MJ for warranty quite often. But mainly because this particular model is designed to be light in weight and designed for cyclist/motorcycle helmet.

Warranty wise, MJ and Oakley are quite good and on par with each other with their warranty.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob
I mostly wear them for an alternative to safety glasses, hence why I like the wider arms.
I'm pretty sure that oakleys meet the specs for safety glasses, just make sure the "knock-offs" you are buying also do. Don't want to have them shatter and fuck up your vision for the rest of your life.

My_name_is_Rob
07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I'm pretty sure that oakleys meet the specs for safety glasses, just make sure the "knock-offs" you are buying also do. Don't want to have them shatter and fuck up your vision for the rest of your life.

Thats kind of why i bought oakley in the first place. I had heard that met some form of safety standard. ( dont think it was CSA) though.

Are spy optics also durable/ safety tested at all? Does anybody know?

HiSpec
07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
There's only one Oakley that is CSA approved.

http://ca.oakley.com/products/5544/17953

ExtraSlow
07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
There's only one Oakley that is CSA approved.

Good point. If you are wearing these for your occupation and CSA rating is required, then the other oakely aren't good enough anyway.
I do believe that most oakleys meet some form of impact specs however, so if you are wearing these for riding your motorbike, or for use around your house, CSA rating is a personal choice. Oakley Website - Impact Specs (http://ca.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection) It's expensive for manufacturers to get products rated, even if they know they would meet the specs, so often many products don't bear the certifications they would meet.

Steel toe boots are another example. Up to very recently Red Wing boots didn't get many of their models certified in Canada. I guess the small market didn't justify it.

Dumbass17
07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
A bit off topic but am I the only one who finds Oakley lenses.. Strange? Every time I put a pair on it feels like what I'm seeing is distorted or just off...

flipstah
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
A bit off topic but am I the only one who finds Oakley lenses.. Strange? Every time I put a pair on it feels like what I'm seeing is distorted or just off...

Depends on what type of lens you use. I use the golf lenses in my Oakley Radar's and it's fantastic for figuring out fairways and greens. :thumbsup:

msommers
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah Maui Jim makes some solid glasses. My Oakley lenses are getting pretty scratched up after abusing them for a few years and lens replacement is almost as much as the glasses were new haha. The oakleys have been great though, great contrast and clarity. Polarized is the only way to go with sunglasses, imo.