PDA

View Full Version : HTML Editors

RickDaTuner
02-06-2004, 10:43 PM
What is a good program to Do webpages with, im talking about programs like adobe's GoLive...

thanks fer yer help

roopi
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Isn't GoLive Adobe's version of Macromedia Flash? Not HTML.

The best HTML editor if you don't know code IMO is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX. :thumbsup:

3G
02-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Isn't GoLive Adobe's version of Macromedia Flash? Not HTML.

The best HTML editor if you don't know code IMO is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX. :thumbsup:

:werd:

Zephyr
02-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004

RickDaTuner
02-06-2004, 11:44 PM
thanks yo! hahaha ill try and source my self a copy..:rolleyes:

cappachihngo
02-07-2004, 12:17 AM
ya i use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2, its a very good program for learners and experts.. give it a try :D

redec
02-07-2004, 01:02 AM
I recommend notepad...can't be beat

roopi
02-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by redec

Always has to be some nerd who says notepad. :D

Yeah notepad is great and all because there is alot more control of the flow...but at some point its just not worth using it anymore because of the time factor.

Best thing is to learn using notepad then start using something like Dreamweaver MX. That way you save time but you still have full control.

D'z Nutz
02-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, but have you ever tried editting code generated by those HTML editors when there's no editors around to use (ie: directly off the server, rather than downloading it, editting it, then re-uploading it)? The code is disgusting to look at and even more painful to trace! IMO, tracing through that code can be extremely time consuming in itself.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats a good ol' text editor. (Emacs for me!)

rage2
02-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by redec

Originally posted by roopi
Always has to be some nerd who says notepad. :D

Yeah notepad is great and all because there is alot more control of the flow...but at some point its just not worth using it anymore because of the time factor.

Best thing is to learn using notepad then start using something like Dreamweaver MX. That way you save time but you still have full control.

If you're coding web sites for personal use, Frontpage, Dreamweaver and other HTML generators are great. If you're doing anything professionally, meaning support for multiple browsers (identical look and feel), bandwidth control, search engine seeding, and advanced formatting, notepad and other text editors are your only real choice.

Personally, I use MS Visual Interdev, as it allows text editing, doesn't add a bunch of useless crap (Frontpage), HTML preview, even with embedded ASP code. Basically, a super notepad hehe.

roopi
02-07-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah, but have you ever tried editting code generated by those HTML editors when there's no editors around to use (ie: directly off the server, rather than downloading it, editting it, then re-uploading it)? The code is disgusting to look at and even more painful to trace! IMO, tracing through that code can be extremely time consuming in itself.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats a good ol' text editor. (Emacs for me!)

When I first started with HTML it was strictly notepad for me and I swore by it. It is great because you have complete control but if you use an editor enough and learn exactly how it works its an excellent tool. The drag and drop is convienient but I think it is also very easy to edit the code as well if and when needed.

Originally posted by rage2

If you're coding web sites for personal use, Frontpage, Dreamweaver and other HTML generators are great. If you're doing anything professionally, meaning support for multiple browsers (identical look and feel), bandwidth control, search engine seeding, and advanced formatting, notepad and other text editors are your only real choice.

How does notepad assist in bandwidth control? Do you mean because there aren't as many tags in the code? Exactly what do you mean by advanced formatting?

Frontpage does add alot of extra crap. I've never really used it but I've looked at the code it generates a while back. All MS products suck for HTML IMO. It just amazes me that they have put so much into .NET and VS yet the basic HTML part of it is absolute shit.