PDA

View Full Version : Rental Property

swak
07-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Ive been e-mailing a guy back and forth - im seriously interested in his place (out of town), i've informally agreed that i'd take it, and hes kind-of informally held the suite for me, however i just found another place thats more ideal for me (cheaper and better location), and now i was going to send the original guy an email money transfer to hold the place today but got sidetracked and now am thinking of taking this other place.

Dick move to not take his? even though i pretty much agreed to take it?

EDIT:
However, i feel like i'd get along better with original guy than the second one im leaning towards (by location and price).
Whats more important to you? Good landlord or good price? haha

EDIT2:

Place A: (first guy). Further away from school, but closer to work office. Rad landlord, more expensive.

Place B: 10 min walk to school, identical living situation, dece landlord, less expensive, further away from work/office - downtown - however only one bus to work where other place is 2 busses to school.

Cos
07-14-2012, 08:46 AM

project240
07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
If they were both the same price, you'd choose the second one?

FixedGear
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
it's not a dick move, it's business. dealing with tenants is just part of the job for that guy, don't worry about it.

swak
07-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by project240
If they were both the same price, you'd choose the second one?

If they were both the same price, id easily take the first one.
Pretty much same living conditions, but a little bit better of a place imo.

Going to take the second one though...
Now for the regrettable e-mail :banghead: :banghead:

project240
07-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd at least ask the first guy if he'd be willing to match the price, assuming prices are reasonably close. Worst he can say is no and maybe he accepts. Just explain that you found a very similar place that is cheaper and you'd rather rent his, but the financial part of you says cheaper is better.

Rental prices are always negotiable. As a landlord I'd rather accept a bit less per month and have it rented rather than vacant and hoping for a bit more.

Xtrema
07-14-2012, 10:32 AM
If he's an experienced landlord, he knows that he owes you nothing other than that you are further up in line.

If he stop interviewing and taking other tenant info down just because you agree with an e-mail, he's an idiot.

Yes, it's a dick move. Especially if you string him along for more than a couple of weeks. But it's business as usual. Landlords should have contingency plan when dick moves are pulled.

CanmoreOrLess
07-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Any landlord renting a place to someone by way of email, has to be considered a red flag. This has so many avenues of fail to consider on both ends of the deal.

swak
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Yea, i sent him a deposit to hold it last week, but he said he didn't get it... So before i sent it again i looked online and found this place...
And will probably take other...

Just a shitty situation.
He seems like a really rad guy, we skyped etc to discuss everything, but we'll see where it goes i guess.

EDIT: turns out theres a bit of a language barrier on the 2nd place too, bearable, but fuuuuu just not ideal situation - being the type of guy i am, i shake your hand its a deal, feels kinda snakey to me.