PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Beating on 9th ave and 5th street

93VR6
07-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Sun Article (http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/16/cops-probe-savage-beating-of-young-man)

I have been friends with this guy since elementary school, and this has been pretty rough for me but if anyone knows or saw anything, please report it, and ask friends if they know anything.

Thanks.

sr20s14zenki
07-16-2012, 07:13 PM
The people who did it should be shot.

end.

se7en
07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Ouch. That would hurt.

eblend
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
"Jane fears it may have been a random beating, fuelled by Stampede alcohol and stupidity."

Another reason I have stampede with a passion

bigbadboss101
07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
More and more it seems people have less respect for one's well being. Coward attacks. Wish Mr. Nick Ring or any other bystander was there to help out.

CompletelyNumb
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by eblend
"Jane fears it may have been a random beating, fuelled by Stampede alcohol and stupidity."

Another reason I have stampede with a passion

Downtown in general is fuelled by alcohol and stupidity. Douchebags are everywhere.

Hope this kid pulls through.

Whomever did it needs to be beaten with a mace.

Kritafo
07-16-2012, 09:43 PM
ahh it's just awful, beautiful young man with a whole life ahead of him. Thinking of his family.

Senseless crime, I hope they catch whoever did this.

msommers
07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Fuck that's brutal, sounded like the guy was doing everything right in his life. You look at the picture and can just tell he isn't the type of guy to start shit.

I'm with sr20s14zenki on this one, find em and hang em. Blood boiling just thinking about it. Really hope he pulls through, my heart goes out to this guy.

93VR6
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I guess the article doesn't go too far into his recovery, but none of you should worry, he is recovering well. They keep him sedated so he can rest and the swelling can go down but a couple times a day they wake him up and he is recognizing his parents and girlfriend, every day he remembers a little more and makes a bit of progress but it is still a long road.

Thanks for the support Beyond.

Cos
07-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Type_S1
07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
With all the wanabe fags in Calgary I am not even surprised by this shit anymore.

I wish him a speedy recovery and the culprits all the worst.

m10-power
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Even if they catch who did it, unlikely much will happen to them. Key would be posting names and photos so they can be publicly shamed.
Our system is a joke, seems most would agree so why does it remain that way?
:dunno:

Laoz
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Damn I'm truly sorry to hear man, I fucken hope they find these pos

CanmoreOrLess
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Cameras downtown would help (not stop sadly) in these situations, help to catch the scum who would think this is allowable. You can bet there will be more than one guy involved here, a couple or a few. Let's hope Brendan Cathery can recall enough to ID someone.

As stated above, no way Brendan Cathery started anything. I had a coworker who lived downtown (no car, walked to work), mildest nerd (he built electric pianos as a hobby) you could imagine and he was hassled once a week by drunken fools. This happened in the early evening, he took a taxi during Stampede as the walk was a gauntlet morning, noon and night.

I avoid downtown, I avoid the Stampede, shame it comes down to this. I did live downtown for three years in the late 90's, never had an issue, not one and I was in and out at all hours as my job required it.

max_boost
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Fucking frustrating when this shit happens. :banghead:

cancer man
07-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Maybe he was drunk?Picked a fight?
But Jesus Christ never kick the guy when he's down.
WTF is wrong when nobody can step in and stop this shit.
Shame on this city and the people that never tried to stop this.

R-Audi
07-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Disgusting......

lasimmon
07-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Maybe he was drunk?Picked a fight?
But Jesus Christ never kick the guy when he's down.
WTF is wrong when nobody can step in and stop this shit.
Shame on this city and the people that never tried to stop this.

To be fair if I see someone getting shit kicked by a group and I'm by myself, I'm not doing anything outside calling 911.

People make me sick though if this was a random attack.

Feruk
07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
He looks familiar, and so does the name... I love the jump to conclusions in here though despite no details except that he got beat up; the rest in there was speculation. More details before I jump to conclusions. I wish him a hasty recovery though.

R-Audi
07-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Granted I only met him once for a short time.. but he wasnt exactly the type to get lippy and start a fight. He's like 150 soaking wet....

BigShow
07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I hope he is able to recover!

fucking animals...

wardpr68
07-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I am not going to be so quick to take sympathy....

My step brother was "attacked randomly" at Canyon Meadows LRT station a few years ago. His mother went on the news crying and saying "my poor baby! how could anyone do this to him! He's so innocent"

When the tapes were reviewed a week later, it turns out he initiated the entire thing and got his ass kicked by people sticking up for the original victim.

Hopefully that's not what happened here... but don't be so quick to jump on the sympathy wagon.

Kavy
07-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68
I am not going to be so quick to take sympathy....

My step brother was "attacked randomly" at Canyon Meadows LRT station a few years ago. His mother went on the news crying and saying "my poor baby! how could anyone do this to him! He's so innocent"

When the tapes were reviewed a week later, it turns out he initiated the entire thing and got his ass kicked by people sticking up for the original victim.

Hopefully that's not what happened here... but don't be so quick to jump on the sympathy wagon.

And don't be so quick to be the devils advocate.

Regardless of the situation he was beaten within an inch of his life, it takes a real piece of shit to do that.

heavyfuel
07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Pathetic. Hopefully one day these scumbags will pick a fight with a small guy who's special ops trained or something.

Smartiepants
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
To those saying he started something, I've met this guy before, went to the same university, wouldn't be something I would ever expect. Hope they catch these guys and throw the book at em. No excuse.

wardpr68
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

And don't be so quick to be the devils advocate.

Regardless of the situation he was beaten within an inch of his life, it takes a real piece of shit to do that.

I absolutely agree, it is pathetic. But I have learned in life, never make any assumptions.

He may have started it, he may not have. We shall see.

93VR6
07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68

I absolutely agree, it is pathetic. But I have learned in life, never make any assumptions.

He may have started it, he may not have. We shall see.

He has no defensive wounds on his hands, arms feet or legs, so if he did initiate it, it was only with words.

He has a fractured skull on the right rear of his head and then a big scar on the front left so it looks like he was hit extremely hard from behind and never had a chance to fight back or run.

The kid is a shit talker when he's drunk, no more than your average drunk 24 y/o but I can't imagine him saying anything that warranted this kind of response.

Kritafo
07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Hope this thread keeps us updated on his progress. Thanks

Maybelater
07-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't care if the person in question initiated the violence or not, its a bit much to beat the guy to this point.

MGCM
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Raise taxes, cameras on every downtown corner........anyone got a better solution? More cops? Too expensive.......i vote cameras all downtown street corners

wardpr68
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Less CPS officers hiding behind trees and signs playing laser tag with cars and more using their patrol cars to actually.... are you ready.....

PATROL?!?!?!?

FixedGear
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

The kid is a shit talker when he's drunk

I'm not condoning the violence, but I find it hard to believe that this was a random attack. I would be much more inclined to believe that the guy was drunk and lipping off to the wrong people.

ward mentioned a very similar incident that his step-brother was involved in a few years ago... it was publicized as a random attack at the c-train (just like this), and then ward came on beyond and stated that his brother has a history of aggression (kind of like your statement), and then a few days later the video footage came out showing that ward's brother instigated and basically asked for the situation.

lasimmon
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
You have to remember even just shit talking you dont know who the people you are yapping at are and eventually you will get what's coming to you.

Now I'm not saying he did this, but everyone on beyond always says "I was just walking and these guys tried to fight me" when in reality they probably said or did something to warrent a response.

Feruk
07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
I don't care if the person in question initiated the violence or not, its a bit much to beat the guy to this point.

What point? All we know is he had a fracture in his skull and a bruise on his left. Sounds like it could've easily been one punch, and a fall impact... The article just dramaticizes it with media spin; we don't know anything yet.

93VR6
07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

What point? All we know is he had a fracture in his skull and a bruise on his left. Sounds like it could've easily been one punch, and a fall impact... The article just dramaticizes it with media spin; we don't know anything yet.

I've visited him in the hospital, what facts do you want?

He has a fractured skull on the rear right of his head and a 3 inch scar on the front left side of his face by his eye. If you can fracture someone's skull with a punch, I'd be pretty impressed.

First time I went in to see him I wasn't allowed in but his girlfriend said she didn't even recognize him, so I'm guessing it's more than just a punch to the head and a fall.

lasimmon
07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
^^ that sounds exactly like a 1 and done.

ercchry
07-17-2012, 04:17 PM

If you can fracture someone's skull with a punch, I'd be pretty impressed.

remember that kid out in chestermere? one to the face and... dead

Khyron
07-17-2012, 10:05 PM
It's not even mouthy punks anymore - a couple of my younger coworkers were attacked in Kilarney - not drunk. 3 dudes just jumped out of the bushes and sucker punched them by total surprise. One coworker was able to fight back and it's the only reason the other coworker wasn't just destroyed (kicking and punching while down).

Always be alert looking for trouble.

scboss
07-18-2012, 05:26 AM

I've visited him in the hospital, what facts do you want?

He has a fractured skull on the rear right of his head and a 3 inch scar on the front left side of his face by his eye. If you can fracture someone's skull with a punch, I'd be pretty impressed.

Its not that hard. A friend of a friend grabbed me by the throat for no reason when he was blackout drunk and threatened my life, I warned him twice to let me go then he started to squeeze.
Took him down and landed 2 punches to his face and broke his jaw.
Got an apology the next day ;)

Ive seen guys get fractures from taking accidental elbows while we are sparring.
Guys face is probably swollen as shit from the attack. Hopefully a speedy recovery

Kritafo
07-18-2012, 05:36 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Police+seek+witnesses+downtown+beating+incident/6949314/story.html

little more info on his injuries from the herald.

wardpr68
07-18-2012, 08:42 AM
“He obviously has a brain injury, so we don’t know what the outcome will be,” she said.

This sounds wayyyyy too familiar. Exact same thing was said when it happened to my step brother (he ended up being fine and is now in alcoholism rehab). Emotions run high at moments like this. I am very interested to see what the real story is.

WhippWhapp
07-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Opartyingly posted by 93VR6

The kid is a shit talker when he's drunk, no more than your average drunk 24 y/o but I can't imagine him saying anything that warranted this kind of response.

People that get mouthy when they drink shouldn't be drinking. I've been partying, clubbing and walking downtown since electric avenue, and have never had an issue.

Hope he recovers fully.

GREENBOY
07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
People who see this sort of stuff and do nothing, either calling cops or making their presence known, are just as bad as the attackers imo. The culture of not getting involved and not talking to police here is pathetic.

Kg810
07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
lol when I heard about this over the weekend I had a feeling the victim was probably some drunk shit disturber.

I like how the media and his family are playing him out to be some sort of innocent nerd genius who is shy and doesn't do anything bad while his friends tell us he is a shit talker when he is drunk. It sounds as though he drinks a lot and it certainly looks that way when every picture the media has shown of him is in some bar or pub and appears to have alcohol beside him.

His injuries are definitely not justified but I'm not surprised it happened. I have no sympathy for shit talkers/shit disturbers and alcohol is not an excuse. I'm glad his friends/co-workers weren't around at the time cause I would have hated to read about actual innocent people getting injured.

I also read on Calgary Puck where the OP also posted this thread and the victim's cellphone and wallet were not taken. So this wasn't a case of robbery and I find it hard to believe it was a random assault when the guy is a drunk shit talker.

MGCM
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
If only there were cameras on every downtown corner.....then u could see if he was talking shit or just minding his business.......vote yes on bill "put cameras on every downtown corner" lol

colinxx235
07-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Kg810
lol when I heard about this over the weekend I had a feeling the victim was probably some drunk shit disturber.

I like how the media and his family are playing him out to be some sort of innocent nerd genius who is shy and doesn't do anything bad while his friends tell us he is a shit talker when he is drunk. It sounds as though he drinks a lot and it certainly looks that way when every picture the media has shown of him is in some bar or pub and appears to have alcohol beside him.

Yah turns out I have quite a few mutual friends with him given the status/tweets about this article.

Given who the mutual friends are, I would agree with this generalization of his behavior. Whether fair or not :dunno:

LadyLuck
07-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

remember that kid out in chestermere? one to the face and... dead

Didn't he get 10 punches to the head? Or are you talking about someone else?

dj_patm
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Shit talking is so stupid. You never know who you're messing with. They could be tiny but if they happen to be well-trained or armed you're fucked.

I seriously doubt this was a "random" attack. A few years ago I was walking home from work (@ Chinook at the time) with a coworker at around 10pm and we saw a guy getting the shit kicked out of him by 3 guys and a girl in the staples parking lot, we yelled and they ran away so we went to help the guy and the people at the Ricky's or whatever is by the CIBC let us take him inside and call the cops.

First the kid said he was "randomly" attacked and that he was just minding his own business, walking alone from the train.

Then the cops showed up and started taking his story and at first, he stuck to what he told us. Then as they asked more follow-up questions it turns out he was calling them "drunk retards" to someone he was on the train with and they over heard him.

Obviously, that does not warrant the shit kicking he got and the people that did it got caught as the guy I was working with went with the cops to the station and pointed the attackers out, but it goes to show that random attacks are hardly ever "random".

Worst case is if it's a matter of a mistaken identity.

JRSC00LUDE
07-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Did wardpr68 get banned for this thread? Or an unrelated matter?

max_boost
07-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Can't people just be a happy drunk like me ..... This story is just nuts.

Toma
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Did wardpr68 get banned for this thread? Or an unrelated matter?
lol.... wondering the same thing.

I 100% agree with him.

edit:... nope, actually, I only agree with what he said here
Less CPS officers hiding behind trees and signs playing laser tag with cars and more using their patrol cars to actually.... are you ready.....

PATROL?!?!?!?

I do not at all give credence to "shit talkers deserving beatings" stupidity and talk.

Talk it talk, violence is violence. They are on different plains of existence.

Toma
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
If only there were cameras on every downtown corner.....then u could see if he was talking shit or just minding his business.......vote yes on bill "put cameras on every downtown corner" lol

No thanks.

I prefer less 'big brother' over more.

JRSC00LUDE
07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Toma

lol.... wondering the same thing.

I 100% agree with him.

That's why I'm curious. It's not like he said anything out of line, he was simply comparing a similar type situation and questioning the "facts" as they are currently known.

Toma
07-18-2012, 10:19 AM

That's why I'm curious. It's not like he said anything out of line, he was simply comparing a similar type situation and questioning the "facts" as they are currently known.

I went back and noticed the other stuff he said. I only agree with the one about gettnig "cops" doing police work, and not traffic BS....

ercchry
07-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Didn't he get 10 punches to the head? Or are you talking about someone else?

this one

http://www.patrickfagan.com/index.php?page=cases/indcase.php&catid=6&indid=30

yeah weird site to cite... but whatever, first link i could find

EDIT: guess it was more than one? but it was 11 years ago, the fact i could even remember the event is impressive haha

dirtsniffer
07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
im glad he was banned. easily the most racist person here.

JRSC00LUDE
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
im glad he was banned. easily the most racist person here.

I can't say I can recall anything he posts to be honest, I was just curious as to this but it really doesn't matter in the end.

BTT, even if the guy happened to deserve getting his mouth shut, he very likely didn't deserve it to that level. People are assholes.

ercchry
07-18-2012, 10:59 AM

I can't say I can recall anything he posts to be honest, I was just curious as to this but it really doesn't matter in the end.

silver audi thread i bet... he was going off about asian drivers again

LadyLuck
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

this one

http://www.patrickfagan.com/index.php?page=cases/indcase.php&catid=6&indid=30

yeah weird site to cite... but whatever, first link i could find

EDIT: guess it was more than one? but it was 11 years ago, the fact i could even remember the event is impressive haha

Yeh that's the one! Shit, time flies!

wardpr68.5
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM

silver audi thread i bet... he was going off about asian drivers again

Yes, appears I hit a soft spot. Oh well, I'm back. Ban me again!

bituerbo
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM

I do not at all give credence to "shit talkers deserving beatings" stupidity and talk.

Talk it talk, violence is violence. They are on different plains of existence.

If you start shit-talking me, I assume you're looking for a fight. The best way to win/control a fight is to strike first, strike hard.

scboss
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

If you start shit-talking me, I assume you're looking for a fight. The best way to win/control a fight is to strike first, strike hard.

I can put up with shit talkers. But if I am sober and I feel threatened I will throw down 100% of the time. Ive tried to talk someone down before and got sucker punched hard.

This is why I control myself when I drink, workout and train in combat sports. People are messed and are always looking to start shit wherever there is alcohol

Toma
07-19-2012, 02:09 AM

lol.

Escalation is never the answer.

Toma
07-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

I can put up with shit talkers. But if I am sober and I feel threatened I will throw down 100% of the time.

Throw down eh? :rofl:

You two are my heros lol :facepalm:

scboss
07-19-2012, 02:27 AM

Throw down eh? :rofl:

You two are my heros lol :facepalm:

It's one of the reasons I don't go to clubs anymore. You think it's a joke until it happens to you. Let some guy punch you in the face for no reason.

Would you rather call the cops get your ass kicked then get shoveled into a ambulance?

Toma
07-19-2012, 02:47 AM

It's one of the reasons I don't go to clubs anymore. You think it's a joke until it happens to you. Let some guy punch you in the face for no reason.

Would you rather call the cops get your ass kicked then get shoveled into a ambulance?

I was a Bartender and doorman for 15+ years. I know the industry, I know drunks, mouth pieces, and behaviour....

and the NUMBER ONE PROBLEM WAS ALWAYS ESCALATION.

LollerBrader
07-19-2012, 05:25 AM

and the NUMBER ONE PROBLEM WAS ALWAYS ESCALATION.

Word.

Spent 3 years of working door at a licensed concert venue. Dealt with a dozen fights, and dozens of drunks.

Found that validation to be a sure-fire trick to de-escalate a drunk in such a setting.

frizzlefry
07-19-2012, 08:28 AM
I have lived downtown for the past decade. Including the beltline area when it was really bad about 8 years ago. I have never been attacked or in fight despite plenty of drunken nights stumbling home. There were the couple of rare occasions where I was in a situation that could have led to me being attacked. Simple solution: keep my mouth shut, mind on my own business and keep walking. That worked for me every time. If you don't want to fight, don't engage the people trying to pick the fight. Keep walking and 99.9% of the time they won't follow you. They may call you a faggot or pussy or whatever as you walk away but who gives a crap. They will be in the drunk tank later for fighting and I will be drinking a Guinness and playing Skyrim at home. I win.

Tik-Tok
07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

That's rather Neanderthal-ish... if someone is shit-talking you, they're trying to bait you into a fight, and apparently you fall for it. You don't need to. I've avoided quite a few by ignoring them, or other verbal tactics.

Kloubek
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's rather Neanderthal-ish... if someone is shit-talking you, they're trying to bait you into a fight, and apparently you fall for it. You don't need to. I've avoided quite a few by ignoring them, or other verbal tactics.

Agreed. I will admit that years ago I would have sooner confronted someone being a douche, but these days I find it is easier just to let it go. I've managed to be in only one fight in the last decade with this philosophy, and that one was unavoidable because the guy outright attacked me in a drunken rage. His bad.

max_boost
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM

I can put up with shit talkers. But if I am sober and I feel threatened I will throw down 100% of the time. Ive tried to talk someone down before and got sucker punched hard.

This is why I control myself when I drink, workout and train in combat sports. People are messed and are always looking to start shit wherever there is alcohol That's why us small Asians travel in packs of 20. Safer that way. Oh those guys over there are gangsters. Don't mess. :rofl: :eek:

Haha I can't throw down anyway, I just have to walk away and take the high road. :cry:

wardpr68.75
07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Shit talking is just stupid with a drunken idiot. If some guy tries to "get in my grill" I usually just say "yep...." and walk away. If he then tried to attack me, I would likely choke him out. But at least in my life thus far, if you just ignore them, they will go away.