PDA

View Full Version : Value of SAP

Calgal25
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
How valuable is it to take SAP training courses that bridge the gap between accounting and application knowledge?

mr2mike
07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
SAP is totally different at each company. Coming from people that have worked with SAP at different companies.

If you're at the company, they should provide SAP training. It's a pain of a program.

voodoo
07-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I've worked with SAP for the last 10years, and no matter how many courses you take there will still be so much more to learn. It all depends on what "side" of finance that you are in and where you see your career in the future. SAP has many "modules" of finance. FI-CO, AP, AR, Asset accounting, FI-CA, PCA, project systems and the list goes on. Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions.

lasimmon
07-26-2012, 11:45 PM
SAP makes me want to :banghead: repeatedly

sputnik
07-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Are you looking at SAP training from a development perspective or just some end user training?

bigbadboss101
07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
SAP would be helpful to know as many companies use it, or other enterprise systems. I started off doing ABAP programming, then got into HR configuration. Picked up a bit of PM/MM, and worked with EHS master data. Now I am doing moreso the functional stuff.

Doesn't hurt to know and if you can get started with a company and they support your training then take as many course as they will send you to.

flipstah
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
SAP is such a powerful tool.

I used it most for cost analysis and project management; invoice tracking, budgeting, etc.

There's so many modules that SAP can do and each is unique for each business needs.

It's awesome to use but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

I would definitely learn the specific ones that relate to the job you're looking for. :)

r3ccOs
07-28-2012, 11:05 PM
functional is important... more important is being able to comprehend business functions and develop those functions in ABAP or support the environment from a BASIS perspective...

in this city if you're a SME with BI, GL, FICO, XI/PI or overall basis or infra architect you can write your own paycheck

psi_klops
07-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I too was looking into some SAP training. Can anyone recommend a training course (preferable online). My one concern is my company doesn't use SAP and the training alone may not be enough to master the program without daily functional use to apply the teachings.
What are your thoughts.

ExtraSlow
07-29-2012, 10:18 AM
SAP is not like learning Excel. Every company has it customized to their needs.

A little training won't hurt, but no generic course will allow you to "master" the program. Hands on work in that company specific environment is the only way.

Thomas Gabriel
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Most companies will have in house training for SAP. I don't think it would be a huge asset on your resume.

997TT
08-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm a sap independent in the FI/CO module. More important than training is implementation experience. If your an empl and the company will pay for a course or two than by all means. But if ur paying for this course yourself you still need an oppurtunity to apply what you've learnt. Ie if ur in he business and u take a course or two you still need the sustainment group to bring you into the group to start doing config

First 6 yrs in sap I was an empl. Took 6 courses (and some conferences in vegas which was 0 learning and 100% gambling) just to travel and learn some stuff. Honestly you will pick up 10x more knowledge via an implementation or two. If ur goal is to make money than Indy is the way to go.

tobslau
08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
As everyone said above - SAP is customized to the company's preference, and when finalized, it's very difficult to change, thus most training is more on the ABAP side. Also as mentioned above, most companies will provide in house training normally through documentation or shadowing.

I would say there is a benefit to learn the basics of SAP, but if it costs you an arm and a leg, it's not worth it...especially for cost analysis. Though, navigation remains relatively constant, though I'm talking from a R/3 perspective. From my experiences, I'd say learn VBA > SAP.

If I can ask, is this question more to get a job or to advance further into your current role?