PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Racing Experience in Vegas

Pages : [1] 2

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I searched but none of the posts I saw gave a really deep outline of the experience?

It's actually pretty difficult to find a solid story of the whole experience online. How is the day outlined? Do you get to check out the whole fleet before it starts? Like walk around, maybe sit in them? Is the training really long/boring? How is the discovery lap?

I'm thinking of either doing 7 laps in the GT-R or doing 5 in the GT-R and 5 in the SLS. Leaning more to GT-R and saving a bit? The GT-R's 3.1 second 0-60 is plenty for me :drool:

colinxx235
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I did this last April. I'm at work and unfortunately don't have a ton of photos on me besides the ones I took with my Iphone. I have a video walk by but I also don't know how to upload that right now (I could e-mail it via iphone)

Day goes as such:
We showed up about an hour n half earlier then time slot. You check in, show valid license, sign some paper work. Final confirmation for the cars you selected. You have the option whether you want to have a DVD of in car/pro cam for your drive, if you want a ride along in the GT3RS, and other side things.

They hold the orientations every 20 minutes or so. You sit in a room they talk about safety, what to do if you lose control, the track layout, which pylons represent the apex/braking points etc.

After that is complete depending how early you came will reflect how much time you have to walk around. I used this to the fullest. You can walk up and sit in the cars, take pics/videos and look around. They ask you to be careful about people pulling in/out etc.

I had selected the F430 and the superleggera for 5 laps each along with the DVD cam option. If you select that option they give you a USB key that you carry and the driver instructor loads in the car.

They announce your name when its time and tell you to head over to XX car and you strap in, instructor does a quick overview of the car/big reminders. Then you're off. If you do a second car, you wait another 10-15 minutes and repeat.

Discovery laps were great. Those guys can really drive that Cayenne Turbo around. Training wasn't too long, 15 minutes max IIRC. I was too excited about driving the cars to care anyways.

My only recommendation is to take 1 car you really really want and drive it for 10 laps. Instead of doing two for 5. Because you waste time, you can't just full out the gates with it for safety and straight away merging reasons. I'm going to vegas next week and considering doing this again, I'd probably hop into an Italia/Scuderia for like 7-10 laps if I was to do so.

clem24
07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Getting there: They'll schedule a time of arrival. Be on time. There will be others sharing your slot time. If you're early, you can check out the cars, which are all parked in the staging area. All doors are unlocked and you are free to sit in any of them, take pics, chat with the instructors, etc... There will be SEVERAL examples of the most popular cars, like the F430, 458, etc..

Training (about 20-30 mins?): They usher you into the training room. Some VERY VERY basic training like a diagram showing a car taking the proper line through a very generic corner, and that's about it. And don't floor the Murcielago. But most of the time is spent on etiquette (how to treat the cars) and how much you should tip the instructor (every car you ride will have an instructor beside you). And then upsell you to drive more cars and buy the in video option as well as a ride in the drift car (was a Z06 but advertised as a GT3). Then you do the discovery laps in the Cayenne GTS (not a turbo). It's fun watching the instructor drift it with 5 guys. Definitely learn more in those 2 minutes than in the pointless classroom session.

Driving: You do NOT pick which specific car you get if they have more than 1, and you do NOT pick which one you get to drive in which order. Your run, you'll be going pretty slow as the instructor tries to gauge your driving skills. They do make you granny shift (like way before redline) and they do make you brake early. But.. If you're good (and they can easily tell), then they'll let you go balls out too.

The instructor will also call out to you when to brake, when to shift up/down, when to turn in, when to mash the gas, etc.. They really do tailor their instruction to you. Basically, you don't worry about anything other than enjoying yourself. In fact, all the mirrors are set for THEM so you have no fucking clue what's going on behind you. A little disconcerting at first but it works. There's also passing too and there's a whole system for that.

Once you're done your laps (easily < 1 minute each), you head back in and tip the instructor if you feel like it.

I would highly recommend you NOT drive the GT-R. It was the worst of the ones I drove. Remember 0-60 in 3.1 is the newest iteration (i.e. 2012). The one they have is a 2009 and quite a bit slower. Not to mention that it's been beat to death. Also, there was NO WAY to defeat the auto up shift. It was fucking annoying. If you're looking for an experience and don't want to pay out the ying yang, do the Aston Martin Vantage V8. I had more fun in that than even the Murcielago because they make you take it easy on the lambo as it has no traction or stability control and 600+ HP.

Also, depending on your goal, you might have more fun with more laps in a fast car than taking out different cars. With only 5 laps, by the time you've gotten comfortable with the car, the session is over. My buddy did 12 in the Scuderia and was able to really pull off some great laps after getting to know the car. But at the same time, my goal was to try as many cars as possible, so I only did 5-6 laps in each of 5 cars.

Now having said that, I am a wimp and you can pull some pretty good G's in those. So after my 3rd session, I was starting to feel nauseated. Never had a problem with my MR2 on a track, but these cars are in a totally different league.

Hope that's the kind of info you're looking for. All in all, it was an amazing and unforgettable experience, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
The website specifically says they have the new GT-R. They have pics and stats of the 2012.

If it's the old one then yeah, I'm not interested in that. Good point on the comfort thing I'll probably be doing 10 laps in one car I think.

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking the Turbo S then?

2.6 0-60 :dunno:

colinxx235
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM
^

I just popped on to take a look at the site, as its been a yearish since I went, different cars etc.

Between the F430 and Superleggera, I had a much much better time in the F430. Granted the speeds I hit on the straight away in the SL were much higher.
The big thing which might seem weird to others, is the fact you have that big ass helmet on, and in the SL its a bucket seat that isn't adjusted well. Where as the F430 you could get much more comfortable in it, and the drive around the track was more enjoyable for me.

My brother commented that the R8 wasn't nearly as exciting as the gallardo he drove on the 2nd ride.

In the end it would come down to which car excites you the most and in the budget. 10 laps in that car is a great choice. It will definitely go by quick =)

I don't think I would be too worried about the 0-60 time, because honestly you shouldn't be going much under 60 anyways
:poosie: lol

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
:D :D :D

Good point! haha.

I just confirmed with them, the GT-R is the 2012 so it seems like the best value. But damn... A the turbo S would be killer!

Oh man the tough decisions one has to make :dunno: :nut: :bigpimp:

georgemagana
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Some guys described it really good! I got there 20 minutes early and and they let sit in any car and take as many pics as you want. Then they called us for the classroom for like a 20 minutes and they talk about some basics and when to brake and how to let someone pass you etc. Then you lined up and wait for a turn in the Porsche (non turbo) During that lap the explain more on how to drive and take the turns. Then they called you for any of the cars you booked. I booked the gallardo and the 458 for 5 laps each. I drove the Italia first and honesty my head was spinning when I got out haha! It handles like nothing else and it's so so easy to drive! It's like supermodel sex perfect :) Then I drove the gallardo and it was such a different experience! They are 100% different and you would have to get used to the car from zero and learn it how to drive. It's a fast car but more difficult to drive than the Italia. You could possibly be texting when driving the Italia and the focusing as much as possible on the gallardo and the Italia would still be easier to drive. All I remember from the gallardo drive was the instructor saying "keep turning in even more and gas to the floor" :D When I got out the gallardo my arms were sore as hell due to the heavy steering (opposite to the Italia) Driving a car for 10 laps will for sure let you take a car to the limits and run a faster lap because as soon as you get into the second car it's like you are learning how drive again.

PS: it's about a 30 minute drive from the strip. I took a taxi and it was $55. Took a limo back to the hotel and it was only $60...

Euro_Trash
07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
We were there in May and there was no Turbo S :( Will definitely be heading back the next time we are in Vegas though (although we debated renting an exotic for a day for how much we spent)

Xtrema
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Pick the days for outside instead of inside/midfield. Outside track is a bit longer and more fun. 10 laps is better than 5. Unless they upgraded the camera to HD, I won't bother with the camera option.

As fast as GTR is, try the 458. Nothing on their lot come close to that car.

clem24
07-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I'll be frank... It's EXOTICS racing, go drive an exotic, not a GT-R. The GT-R to me just felt like a really fast Japanese car. There's nothing exotic about it. If you want a really raw experience, drive the F430 Scuderia. It is essentially a road legal race car. I think more than the acceleration, it's how these cars handle that really set them apart. The 458 was fun as hell but like mentioned, it's almost a little too easy to drive. In fact, I found the nannies waaaaay to intrusive. I'd floor it and I can feel the car backing off slightly before letting loose. But yeah, if I had to pick ONE car, it'd be down to the Scud or 458. And on a budget, the Vantage V8 hands down.

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Well I went with 10 laps in a GT-R and two of my buddies are joining me got 7 in the SLS and 7 in the Vantage... Let the Top Gear-esque jokes begin!

I know it's "exotic" racing but not only is the GT-R my favorite car, but it's also the best value and within my budget. I didn't want to pay the same and drive a more exotic car for half the amount.

msommers
07-19-2012, 10:40 PM
SLS :drool: 430 scud, 458, aventador and 997 turbo S...maybe GTR :D I really have to make my way down there. I wonder if it 5 laps how much you get to experience the cars before it's all over. If you're going to do something like this, go balls out and do what you want. How often are you gonna do it? Maybe never again........ maybe next summer :rofl:

Well got it all figured out. Anyone wanna go to Vegas in April!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/Untitled-1.jpg

dj_patm
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
If I was taking it out on the strip the GT-R would be my last choice, but since I'm taking it out on a track all I car about is speed and this is the fastest car I could comfortably afford 10 laps in.

Xtrema
07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by msommers
SLS :drool: 430 scud, 458, aventador and 997 turbo S...maybe GTR :D I really have to make my way down there. I wonder if it 5 laps how much you get to experience the cars before it's all over. If you're going to do something like this, go balls out and do what you want. How often are you gonna do it? Maybe never again........ maybe next summer :rofl:

Next time I'm there, sls and aventador would be on top if my list.

Out of all the ones I tried, only 458 make me feel I got it right in 2 to 3 laps. The rest I had to struggle.

GT-R is the rawest car there. It's like rocket strapped to a tin can. Its definitely fun.

georgemagana
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I love the GTR but like they said, to me it isnt an exotic if I can buy in the future. It also looked extremely extremely ugly besides the 458 italia or almost anything out there. Dont get me wrong because it is an amazing car but there it just fell like cheap car. Yes it is fast but im not even sure if it is faster than the 458 and for sure not than the aventador and even if it is YOU wont be able to tell how that .005 of a second faster feels like. Next time Im doing the SLS AMG and maybe the murcierlago <3

The 458's TC was annoying just like someone said! Lambo ftw lol

clem24
07-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Here's something else too... Each and every one of those cars is fast in their own right. Driving them around the track, you will NOT notice really how fast they are, but how good they handle. I was on the outfield and there was the back straight and the front straight where you could really pin it. And even then, it WILL take you at least 10 laps to get comfortable with the track. The instructor will see this and will hold you back.

I don't even know how fast I went and at no point did I ever look at the speedo as I was honestly too busy with paying attention to the road and avoiding death. They also stress this by never giving you lap times or even hinting of it. So if you want to compare lap times, you MUST buy the on board video.

But still.. It's not so much the speed, it's just the overall experience. As mentioned, a GT-R is definitely something that I can own in the future, whereas a Ferrari.. No chance, especially something as raw as a Scuderia, which is essentially a road legal race car.

Xtrema, I don't know what you've been smoking, but the GT-R is VERY MUCH NOT the rawest car out there. Of all the cars, the GT-R is absolutely THE LEAST RAWEST car by a huge, huge margin. A computer in that car keeps it going the quickest. How does this make it the most raw? The most raw car is the Murcielago with it's lack of nannies (but sucks as the instructor restrains you from going balls out in it), but the hardest to control and likely the QUICKEST if you know how to drive, is the F430 Scuderia. The 458 is very close behind, but the nannies keep it from being fastest.

Regardless of what you chose, you'll have fun and that's all that really matters.

dj_patm
07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Hate to bump this thread this morning but it kinda just hit me...

IM GOING TO BE DRIVING A FUCKING 2012 GT-R AROUND A RACE TRACK IN TWO WEEKS!!!!!

This is like a dream come true!
I thought I might have some buyers remorse but I'm just so FUCKING excited.

msommers
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice!! Share your impressions when you're back please.

clem24
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Matt, not sure if you're serious about your plan, if you plan on something like that, I'd split it into 2 days/sessions. That's a LOT for your mind and body to take and you'll be pooped 1/3 of the way through. Like I said, I was nauseous after 18 laps.

Xtrema
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Xtrema, I don't know what you've been smoking, but the GT-R is VERY MUCH NOT the rawest car out there. Of all the cars, the GT-R is absolutely THE LEAST RAWEST car by a huge, huge margin. A computer in that car keeps it going the quickest. How does this make it the most raw? The most raw car is the Murcielago with it's lack of nannies (but sucks as the instructor restrains you from going balls out in it).

Ok, may be my definition of "raw" may not be right. How about sophistication or lack there of for the GT-R?

Matt, not sure if you're serious about your plan, if you plan on something like that, I'd split it into 2 days/sessions. That's a LOT for your mind and body to take and you'll be pooped 1/3 of the way through. Like I said, I was nauseous after 18 laps.

15 for me. Never thought how draining it was trying to nail every corner and not lose speed.

msommers
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks, Clem. I am really serious about doing that come spring time but this kind of trip is dependent on others coming. It's not like other vacations where I can travel solo but going to Vegas by myself sounds horrendous lol. Although if you're looking for a photo trip+cars, I really want to hit Coyote Buttes in May to get some unreal sunbeam canyon pics and to see The Wave.

Mitsu3000gt
07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
So how much do they hold you back? For me, that would completely ruin the experience and I'd feel like I got ripped off if they wouldn't even let me redline the car or drive it hard (I understand it in the case of the merc though).

I've played hundreds of hours of GT in an actual simulator so I think I'd be at least decent :rofl:. I'm sure it's different still. I'd feel completely ripped off though if I had to leave all nannies on max and drive the car gently. Not that I would be planning on drifting or anything haha, but I just mean I wouldn't want to putt around the track.

Seems like something that the particular instructor you get may mean the difference of fun VS very little fun...that's a bit scary. It would be awesome to drive those cars and all, but if they made you take it super easy, it wouldn't be worth it for me given the cost.

Also, do you get extra laps if you have to slow down for other drivers?

Do they let you put the Aventator in Corsa mode at least?

I want to do this so bad though. Scuderia, 458, Aventador, 997 Turbo S. Thats all I need haha.

georgemagana
07-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
So how much do they hold you back? For me, that would completely ruin the experience and I'd feel like I got ripped off if they wouldn't even let me redline the car or drive it hard (I understand it in the case of the merc though).

I've played hundreds of hours of GT in an actual simulator so I think I'd be at least decent :rofl:. I'm sure it's different still. I'd feel completely ripped off though if I had to leave all nannies on max and drive the car gently. Not that I would be planning on drifting or anything haha, but I just mean I wouldn't want to putt around the track.

Seems like something that the particular instructor you get may mean the difference of fun VS very little fun...that's a bit scary. It would be awesome to drive those cars and all, but if they made you take it super easy, it wouldn't be worth it for me given the cost.

Also, do you get extra laps if you have to slow down for other drivers?

Do they let you put the Aventator in Corsa mode at least?

I want to do this so bad though. Scuderia, 458, Aventador, 997 Turbo S. Thats all I need haha.

The instructors do tell you not redline but I took both the gallardo and Italia to it and they didn't care so don't worry about it. On the italia you couldn't touch the gas to much on a corner or the traction control would kick in but on the Lamborghini you can hold the gas all the way down the entire turn and it just pulls you into the corner! They would judge your skills and then if you are decent they let you do whatever you want basically (nothing stupid or drifting etc) I drove the italia so hard that when I parked the car all I could smell was burnt tires and I was so dizzy it was hard to get out of the car! You WILL have fun!

clem24
07-23-2012, 08:37 AM

LOL dude.. I am sorry but driving a real car and actually having your LIFE on the line is nothing like a simulator. A simulator might be OK for learning how to take corners, figuring out best lines, but getting behind the wheel with actual G-Forces and the notion that you can actually die puts it on a completely different level.

Like mentioned, the instructors will NOT hold you back if you're good. But put it this way.. If you suck, you will NOT be driving that fast anyhow. If you have no track experience, it will immediately show. Still... You can dream about it all you want, but when you're on the track, everything will feel fast and you'll have a good time.

Re. getting stuck behind a car, you will not get make up laps, but you will NEVER be stuck behind a slow car, period. Passing takes place anywhere. The instructors are always on the lookout for cars coming out from behind, so if you're fast, the car in front will immediately switch on its blinkers and you will immediately get to overtake as soon as it's safe.

dj_patm
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I've never had track experience before but my dad is obsessed with Gran Turismo and has a a full out racing chair set up with wheel, shifter (paddle and stick) and pedals (with clutch) so I will definitely be playing on that with a GT-R before we leave lol

Better then nothing :dunno:

clem24
07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
LOL and :facepalm: at all the couch racers on here.. :rofl:

Anyway believe me if you've never been on a track before, you'll be taking it real easy but you'll have so much fun that you won't realize how slow you really were going.

And don't tell the instructor you've practised on GT cause he'll probably just roll his eyes.

dj_patm
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Anyway believe me if you've never been on a track before, you'll be taking it real easy but you'll have so much fun that you won't realize how slow you really were going.

And don't tell the instructor you've practised on GT cause he'll probably just roll his eyes.

Haha yeah I'm not saying I know anything about track racing or anything like that lol. Hell I suck at GT anyways haha

I fully expect to be shitting myself the whole time lol.

I would never actually bring that up haha. I'm just saying it's the only practice I could possibly get here lol.

Tomaz
07-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Funny you say that. Just the other night my friends and I were talking about COD guys VS actual military/LE guys. I know I am nervous when someone mentions video games when I am teaching them to shoot. I can imagine the same goes with these driving instructors. lol

Anyway, This looks like tons of fun! I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the Scuderia. :burnout:

Mitsu3000gt
07-23-2012, 02:29 PM

LOL dude.. I am sorry but driving a real car and actually having your LIFE on the line is nothing like a simulator. A simulator might be OK for learning how to take corners, figuring out best lines, but getting behind the wheel with actual G-Forces and the notion that you can actually die puts it on a completely different level.

Like mentioned, the instructors will NOT hold you back if you're good. But put it this way.. If you suck, you will NOT be driving that fast anyhow. If you have no track experience, it will immediately show. Still... You can dream about it all you want, but when you're on the track, everything will feel fast and you'll have a good time.

Re. getting stuck behind a car, you will not get make up laps, but you will NEVER be stuck behind a slow car, period. Passing takes place anywhere. The instructors are always on the lookout for cars coming out from behind, so if you're fast, the car in front will immediately switch on its blinkers and you will immediately get to overtake as soon as it's safe.

I know...that's why I specifically said I'm sure it would be different, and included the "laughing" icon haha. Obviously I cant hop out from behind my PS3 into an exotic and get wicked lap times.

Also, I've been on a track several times before as both a driver & passenger, but never in an exotic, only BMWs, Audis, etc. so nothing too crazy, but I know much of what to expect from a general perspective. I've also been in some pretty crazy go-karts so I know what it's like to get out and have your arms and sides completely dead from G-forces haha. I was actually quite surprised how much it took out of me.

I did not at all mean to suggest my GT playing means I could drive super fast around the track in real life. I would feel ripped off though if they made you go slower than you were capable of though. I can see how more laps in the same car would be better from that respect, because the more comfortable you get then harder the instructor would likely let you drive.

On other forums I've read other guys got free laps anytime they got caught behind another car - maybe it depends on the instructor? If so, that would suck if some people got free laps and some didn't when it's $90/lap.

clem24
07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I would feel ripped off though if they made you go slower than you were capable of though.

Believe me this won't happen. Like I said, if you're good, the instructor will let you push it. But... It will take you at least 2-3 laps to get the instructor to get acquainted to you, 6-10 laps for you to get acquainted with the track, and during those laps, you'll have to get acquainted with an unfamiliar car as well. You can't just jump in a car and expect to go all out. The scenario might play out perfectly in your mind, but once you're behind the wheel, everything that you've been thinking/dreaming about since the day you booked your time immediately goes out the window.

If going fast to yours and the cars' potential is what you want to do, I suggest picking 2 cars. One car, doing 5-6 laps to know the track, and another car, 12-15 laps to really build up speed. Just insist that they throw you in the 5 lap car first, which is probably doable. Basically, the instructor needs to be able to trust you, and that trust is delivered through his observations of your driving.

It's like going for speed records. You don't just jump into a car and go balls out. You need to build up to it.

Mitsu3000gt
07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
That seems like a good way to do it.

Or would you go for the 15 laps first, so that when you try 2-3 cars after that for only 5 laps, you would be more comfortable? You'd still have to get used to the car though.

I'm not sure what the best way would be, but I agree that you should pick at least one car to do 10-15 laps in rather than 5 in a bunch of things.

Xtrema
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure what the best way would be, but I agree that you should pick at least one car to do 10-15 laps in rather than 5 in a bunch of things.

Pick a GT-R or Porsche to get to know the track for 5 laps. Then go nuts in exotics afterward would be ideal.

Although, I never request them in sequence like that, just whatever is available and they call me over for.

In video games, you lack the fear of death and the real movement. It may teach you how to pick the lines but that's about it. They have cones set up to assist you where the enter, power thru and exit corners.

And getting in the right gear takes some getting used to as well as each car's transmission is different. The one frustrate me the most the the R-Tronic in the R8 V10. Seems to have a mind of its own.

clem24
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Thanks, Clem. I am really serious about doing that come spring time but this kind of trip is dependent on others coming. It's not like other vacations where I can travel solo but going to Vegas by myself sounds horrendous lol. Although if you're looking for a photo trip+cars, I really want to hit Coyote Buttes in May to get some unreal sunbeam canyon pics and to see The Wave.

BTW did a trip to Utah a few years ago before we had our first kid. It was truly fantastic. I'd love to go to something like a slot canyon; it's definitely on my to do list. But it'll be much longer until the kids are all grown up before I can go.

Maxx Mazda
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm doing this in September:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/exotics-racing-las-vegas-need-input/showthread.php?s=&postid=3961255#post3961255

Can't decide whether to take the Gallardo or 430 F1. I'm leaning toward the lambo at the moment, has anyone driven both? Which did you prefer?

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I'm doing this in September:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/exotics-racing-las-vegas-need-input/showthread.php?s=&amp;postid=3961255#post3961255

Can't decide whether to take the Gallardo or 430 F1. I'm leaning toward the lambo at the moment, has anyone driven both? Which did you prefer?

Based on my reading on other forums, do the maximum laps you can afford in the F430 or scuderia. That will get you a very nice "exotic" experience, and its much cheaper than something like the Aventador. After that, just do 5ish laps in everything else you want to try just to say you've driven them. The longer you spend in 1 car the more you will enjoy it.

My plan would be 10-20 laps in the Scuderia or 458, then 5 in 911 turbo S, Aventador, and I might throw in an Aston or McLaren if I was feeling rich lol. The $100 ride-along drift thing is probably a must do as well.

Loose
07-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Drove the Scud and Supeleggera. Ferrari >>> Lamborghini

Xtrema
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Loose
Drove the Scud and Supeleggera. Ferrari &gt;&gt;&gt; Lamborghini

Agree.

The $100 ride-along drift thing is probably a must do as well.

Yes. That was fun. I did it when they have a Z06. Last time they had a RS2.

colinxx235
07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
^

Enjoyed 430 > SL. Would do the Scud if I went back again.
And the adventador :drool:

clem24
08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Scud's awesome.. It's so freakin' loud that I could barely hear the instructor or even myself think ahahaha.

dj_patm
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
2 more day's till Vegas, three until 10 laps behind the wheel of a GT-R :poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Not to be rude, but can I ask what the appeal of a GT-R is in the company of the best European exotics? Obviously it's an impressive performing car, but it's more like a juiced up "regular" car than an exotic, at least in my eyes.

dj_patm
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
All I have to say is THAT WAS AMAZING.

Easily worth the money 100% and I will be doing it again next time I'm in vegas.

We showed up an hour early so that we could check out the cars and even just sitting in some of these cars was really great. They're all sitting there open so you can take pics and whatever. Some of them are pretty beat up obviously but it's still an impressive fleet.

After checking out the cars we got called in for our instruction class which was about 25 minutes, half of it was trying to upsell videos and stuff and the other was actual tips on driving (nothing that anyone that is in anyway familiar with motorsports in anyway wouldn't know) the thing that shocked me was how busy the place was. I expected it to be a handful of people but there was probably 40 people in each group (one group an hour).

After the class session we waited to get called up to do our two discovery laps in the Cayenne and holy crap they push that thing pretty hard so that in itself was an experience.

After the discovery lap you wait to go on the track with your car. I waited about 5 minutes for the GT-R and was off.

I don't even know how to describe the feeling of driving that car but the two things that definitely stood out to me were:

a) The acceleration the first time you pin it on the straight
b) How hard you can throw the thing into a corner

I wish I could describe the feeling of driving the car better but it's something that you have to do to understand. You get the car up to speed then throw it into a corner at speeds that your whole body is telling you not to do and then you pin it again. Just insane.

Definitely recommend doing more then 5 laps because 5 would go buy really quick and I didnt start really feeling comfortable in the turns until around the 5th lap.

But yeah... The whole experience was just wow...

mix123
08-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Did your Gran Turismo experience pay off? :D

dj_patm
08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by mix123
Did your Gran Turismo experience pay off? :D

Never ended up practicing on it haha

I can safely say no video game can compare to actually flying down a straight with the pedal to the floor in a 530 hp car and waiting until the last braking point before throwing it into a banked turn.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mitsu3000gt
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
How long is the average lap time?

dj_patm
08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
How long is the average lap time?

I was never told my lap time but I'd about 45 seconds to a minute? Maybe a little less if you know what you're doing

Redlined_8000
11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice info in here!

Im heading to vegas in a couple weeks and Here is my plan.

Lamborghini Superleggera LP570
Ferrari 458 Italia
Porsche 997 Turbo S

My main goal is just to have fun. I heard some negative things about the lambo, Maybe I can switch that out for something else or should I keep the lambo?
Im thinking of switching the Superleggera for the SLS AMG

beyond_ban
11-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I just came back from driving. I drove the 991 Carrera S to learn the track and to get my instructor confident in me. I then went to the 458, Superleggera and finished in the 430 Scud. I wanted to drive the Aventador and the MP4-12C as well but they were in the shop along with their 2 GTRs and Cayman R.

If you go and don't drive the Scud, you are really missing out. The car is incredible and I found it more fun the 458. The superleggera is also fun with the AWD but I had to drive it into the back to get a guy to spray it down with water every 2 laps because it would over heat. I'm also 6'2 so it was uncomfortable and the A pillar and the super sloped windshield made it a little less enjoyable.

That all being said, any car is going to be fun to drive. If you are going, drive the most race oriented cars such as the 458 or Scud and skip the SLS or V8 Vantage. You can't drift them like Jeremy Clarkson and they don't handle nearly as well as the lighter Ferraris and Lambos, thus reducing their enjoyment.

SR54RNR
11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Nice info in here!

Im heading to vegas in a couple weeks and Here is my plan.

Lamborghini Superleggera LP570
Ferrari 458 Italia
Porsche 997 Turbo S

My main goal is just to have fun. I heard some negative things about the lambo, Maybe I can switch that out for something else or should I keep the lambo?
Im thinking of switching the Superleggera for the SLS AMG

I drove the superleggera last year, its definately right at home on their track. its a short track, and its pretty much all 3rd gear in the superleggera. I didnt drive the 458, but I was told due to its extra gear, and shorter gearing, it requires some 3-4 shifts in some areas the lambo doesnt. The 430 scud they have there sounds badass, I would have liked to drive that one.

The track is really tight, and not a lot of room to really wind the cars up. the torquey SLS probably wouldnt be all that great on this track, especially because the traction controlls are always on, and that car appears to be very tail happy. the 997 would probably be a lot of fun to drive that track. I hear the GTR is a blast on this track, although not so much of a dream car to drive when compared to the rest.

beyond_ban
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
^ when you went was the track inside the oval? If so, they have since moved the track to the parking lot where they made a track specifically for using the cars potential.

Edit: also, I was there two weekends ago and drove their dark red Scud but try had just purchased a brand new black scud that they were in the midst of preparing for use. It should be available by now,... Driving a Scud with less then 1000 miles would be awesome.

georgemagana
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
^^ I did both the italia and gallardo in January and that's right, the lambo was 3rd gear almost the entire track and the 458 had 3rd and 4th. Just never listen to the instructor when he tells you to change gears at 6500-7000! Take that 458 bitch to 8500 RPM :) haha

Redlined_8000
11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
All booked!

Ferrari 430 Scuderia (5 laps)
Ferrari 458 Italia (5 laps)
Lamborghini Superleggera LP570 (5 laps)
Porsche 997 Turbo S (5 laps)

Il report back on how it was :)

Maxx Mazda
11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Drove 6 laps in the Gallardo LP-550. (The yellow one.) GREAT experience. I can echo everything others here have said, 6 laps were not enough. Definitly going again in two weeks when I'm back in Vegas!

ragu
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
^ when you went was the track inside the oval? If so, they have since moved the track to the parking lot where they made a track specifically for using the cars potential.

Edit: also, I was there two weekends ago and drove their dark red Scud but try had just purchased a brand new black scud that they were in the midst of preparing for use. It should be available by now,... Driving a Scud with less then 1000 miles would be awesome.

Just out of curiosity, how long does each lap last?

Xtrema
11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ragu

Just out of curiosity, how long does each lap last?

Def less than a minute unless you are doing it wrong. I want o say 40-50s but I never timed it.

beyond_ban
11-02-2012, 04:40 PM
^ I never timed it, but they did throw in a complementary video for me so if i really wanted to i could go time them. Like everyone else has said, less then a minute.

GS430
11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
^ I never timed it, but they did throw in a complementary video for me so if i really wanted to i could go time them. Like everyone else has said, less then a minute.

Get on that shit! Post the video man :bigpimp:

Canmorite
01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Did 7 laps in the GT-R last weekend. A lot of fun, definitely worth the money!

colinxx235
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by GS430

Get on that shit! Post the video man :bigpimp:
'

I couldn't even load the video I paid for on my laptop. It only loaded in the dvd player.

Not sure if they did something special to it to prevent computer load up?

GS430
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

'

I couldn't even load the video I paid for on my laptop. It only loaded in the dvd player.

Not sure if they did something special to it to prevent computer load up?

b3Yond 1337 h@cker$ assemble!!

urrforce
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Did 7 laps in the GT-R last weekend. A lot of fun, definitely worth the money!

curious as to why you chose that over any of the other exotics

Canmorite
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by urrforce

curious as to why you chose that over any of the other exotics

I think ~5 years down the road I want to own one, so wanted to see what it was like. I've driven a few 430s/Murcies/R8/etc before as well. Plus, was cheaper to do more laps in this than say 5 in a 458.

Definitely go for more laps if you you're planning to go, 7 goes by REALLY fast.

Got sideways a couple times, it was raining unfortunately. (Ya ya, blame it on the rain :rofl: ) Ps. check out the sweet helmets.

KhCrzRKKBkg

urrforce
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM

I think ~5 years down the road I want to own one, so wanted to see what it was like. I've driven a few 430s/Murcies/R8/etc before as well. Plus, was cheaper to do more laps in this than say 5 in a 458.

Definitely go for more laps if you you're planning to go, 7 goes by REALLY fast.

seeing as how you have driven the other exotics that makes sense then i havent driven anything more fancy than an old m car lol

so i would have to go ferrari or something for sure

also if it is something that you were looking to maybe purchase that also makes sense to get out and open it up

Canmorite
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by urrforce

if it is something that you were looking to maybe purchase that also makes sense to get out and open it up

Ya, the seller would understandably not let me take it to a track and drive it that hard. Was the best place to test drive IMO :thumbsup:

Mibz
02-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm glad you posted that video. My buddy showed me another video where the instructor was actually steering for the guy. I figured he just -really- sucked but now I know :P

Canmorite
02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm glad you posted that video. My buddy showed me another video where the instructor was actually steering for the guy. I figured he just -really- sucked but now I know :P

Haha I think they only grab the steering wheel if you're headed off the track, or you just can't figure out the proper line.

ray8181
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
got to drive the aventador a couple weeks ago when i went. obviously it was amazing, felt it was way too much car lol.

dj_patm
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking of going again when I'm in vegas for EDC. Scud 10 laps... hmm....

Also, did anyone else have a problem with that little knuckle/chicane thing by the building right before the straight?

I remember I couldn't nail that down until the last couple laps.

Canmorite
02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
I'm thinking of going again when I'm in vegas for EDC. Scud 10 laps... hmm....

Also, did anyone else have a problem with that little knuckle/chicane thing by the building right before the straight?

I remember I couldn't nail that down until the last couple laps.

I think EDC is held where the track is, if not on the track...better double check.

dj_patm
02-05-2013, 02:12 PM

I think EDC is held where the track is, if not on the track...better double check.

Yup EDC is at the track and I definitely wouldn't be suprised if they close it. I'm there for 5 nights though so hopefully it's open for one of those nights. Haven't looked into it yet

EDIT: quick look at there sites shows that they're closed for the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of EDC. So Thursday is a possibility.

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
What do you guys think, F430 Scud or 458 Italia for 10 laps? The price difference is $100 so that isn't an issue, but I'm only going to be able to budget for one or the other and just want the maximum laps in 1 car.

beyond_ban
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
458 is faster, but the Scud is a more complete, raw experience, so i recommend the scud. The kick it gives you in your back when you up shift is amazing, and the exhaust note is less tamed then the 458, although both are capable of giving multiple eargasms.

Edit: I'm 6'2 and I told them the Helmet was restricting my movement, so they allowed me to remove the helmet after my first lap session. So much better!

Mibz
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
My buddy is 6'5", any cars that he's likely not to fit in?

beyond_ban
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Superleggera was a squeeze for me. 6'5 seems like a near impossibility to me. The Ferrari's are a lot more spacious.

v8killa
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Hey, I am going to Vegas soon and was debating between the Exotic Racing and World Class Driving. Have any of you had experience with WCD?

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by v8killa
Hey, I am going to Vegas soon and was debating between the Exotic Racing and World Class Driving. Have any of you had experience with WCD?

WCD is on a highway, and you drive in a line. Basically, it's just people slowing down and speeding up, desperately trying to get their money's worth on a public highway. You aren't allowed to speed, but I'm sure everyone does. I believe you get 30 minutes in each car, so you get to try out several of them, but you don't get to do anything fun in them at all. I also read they often don't have "key" cars there (Like a Ferrari) and have to substitute something much less awesome.

Your money will go WAYYY further at Exotics Racing, based on everything I read.

v8killa
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have been getting info from WCD and for 1000$ total me and a friend can share time driving 3 cars for a total of 80 miles. However, I am suspect about how much you actually get out of the cars since you have to abide by the traffic laws. The rep said they we would get many chances to push the cars but who knows if that is actually true. Might just have to man up and do the Exotic Racing.

toyboy88
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by v8killa

I did WCD in January 2013 while I was there. Was fucking awesome...so glad I did it compare to the one just around a track/lap.
Ended up driving a Ferrari 458 Italia, McClaren SLR, Audi R8 V10, and Jag XKR-S.

Any specific questions, let me know.

I got a ton of pics, but haven't got around to editing/posting them yet.

dj_patm
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
My buddy is 6'5&quot;, any cars that he's likely not to fit in?

Maclaren is probably off the list.
He'll have a hard time in the Lambos too.

Darkane
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Really awesome experience!

Just got back raced 4 cars.

458 10 lap - best time 55.49.
Supperleggera 5 laps - 56.01
AMG SlS 5 laps
Caymen R 10 Laps

The 458 is just one of the sweetest cars around. Very nice to drive and fast.

Also went for a ride along with Richie Hearn (former Indy Driver) sideways in a Z06. Great fun.

If anyone is contemplating this, seriously do it.

Once in a lifetime experience.. well. I'm going to go back one day. It's that good.

beyond_ban
07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
How did you get your lap times? Did you just watch the video and time yourself? Or are they offering lap times now?

Mibz
07-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Damn, you were faster in the 458 than I was in the Scud. I need to learn how to drive!

I got free video because I booked the McLaren but it was in service, took my lap time from that.

AaronK
07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
I have been planning to do this when I go to Vegas soon, but being 6'7" I dont know what I will be able to drive... :bullshit:

flipstah
07-15-2013, 03:18 PM
My co-worker is ~6'4" and he looked cramped in the Lambo.

He said the R8 was the most comfortable one he drove.

Xtrema
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
How did you get your lap times? Did you just watch the video and time yourself? Or are they offering lap times now?

via video that you can purchase. Also, there are 2 tracks with outside track being a bit longer and a few extra corners if I recall.

Mibz
07-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by AaronK
I have been planning to do this when I go to Vegas soon, but being 6'7&quot; I dont know what I will be able to drive... :bullshit: My buddy is 6'5", couldn't fit in Gallardo or Aventador. He fit in the Scuderia, Cayman and 911 though.

Mitsu3000gt
07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

via video that you can purchase. Also, there are 2 tracks with outside track being a bit longer and a few extra corners if I recall.

Don't they have their own track now? If not, do you know if there is a way to guarantee yourself the longer track?

Darkane
07-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Lap times are now offered in the video.

I'm 6'3" and just fit the superleggera. It was actually so uncomfortable it kind of ruined that car for me.

I have a long torso so maybe someone 6'5 could do it.

On a cooler day I know I can hit 54.99 in the 458.

My SLS instructor was just super pumped when I passed a 458 on the inside corner on turn 1 lol. Just loved it.

Xtrema
07-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Don't they have their own track now? If not, do you know if there is a way to guarantee yourself the longer track?

Ok, my 2012 info is old. Looks different now, only 1 track and doesn't look as exciting as the old outside track. More straights to get the speed up.

Darkane
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
^^ Yep one track. The track looks like it has a separate Hair-pin loop, possibly for winter sessions. In the summer you need the less technical faster course for cooling on the cars.

It's just hard going 8500 rpm and braking in 100 degrees.

BMDUBS
09-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I just drove the 458 yesterday and it was hot as hell circa 35 degrees. I went for 12 laps and after 6 they made me come in to cool the car down which kind of breaks your stride. I ended up with a 54.27 best lap.

I recommend this to anyone as a highlight life experience. Now to decide if I rent the Ferrari California from hertz for $1200.00!

88CRX
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Would you guys recommend the Scud or the 458?

Mibz
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Scud 100%

88CRX
10-18-2013, 05:57 PM
thanks!

If you know what your doing do they let you really get on it or do they keep it somewhat tame?

Darkane
10-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
thanks!

If you know what your doing do they let you really get on it or do they keep it somewhat tame?

They Let you get on it for sure.

Do exactly what they say when they say is key. After that they may let you drive more your style.

I had the superleggera in a 4 wheel drift on turn 3 of the Playground track and the TCM took power out. The instructor didn't try to correct me in anyway. It was awesome :)

Go4Long
10-20-2014, 01:03 AM
Bumping an old thread...heading there in a few weeks for the airshow...they've got a Huracan now and am really thinking about giving it a go if I fit in it.

beyond_ban
10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Huracan should be fun.... Once they get a Speciale in I think im going to head down. A 650S would also be nice for comparison sake.

reiRei
10-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Thinking about doing this when I head out to Vegas in November, what's the best way to head to the track. I was reading online that it's $50 for a cab ride each way, any other suggestions?

avishal26
10-20-2014, 01:31 PM
^ Car rental to practice your skills on the way there? :rofl:

I drove over there from the strip in my buddy's rental mustang :nut:

Needless to say he didn't let me drive it back after