PDA

View Full Version : How to get USA Netflix and Pandora in Canada

Mar
07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I recently looked into this after being in the USA for a couple of weeks and seeing how much better the Netflix is when you're down there. Most importantly they have the latest season of Top Gear! :thumbsup:

Note that this is only one way of doing this, there are many more websites available, some may be cheaper/easier, this is just what I did and was very simple.

1. Go to http://www.unotelly.com/unodns/
2. Sign up for an account, they don't need anything more than an email and a password.....no stupid address and crap required.
3. Go through the setup instructions which are very easy and detailed.
4. Click the link to view their servers and get the IP of the one closest to you.
5. Edit the DNS Gateway setting on your device and change it to the IP you got in step 4.

That's it. There are even detailed instructions for every device you might have including each specific media player, Playstation 3, Android phone, Ubuntu computer, anything you have.

This will give you a free trial period, 1-2 weeks or something, I forget. Then it's $5 a month which is totally reasonable for what you get. I have this set up on my Boxee Box now, listening to Pandora as I type. :thumbsup:

EDIT - I have since switched over to http://unblock-us.com/ (https://www.unblock-us.com?offer_id=4&aff_id=1166) for my proxy provider.

dollarbillz
07-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Un-block US is better I noticed less lag

2LOW4SNOW
07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I have been using Unblock Media (http://unblockmedia.com/) for some time now.

It's a Canadian company which is nice.

Edit: although I rarely use it, they also have a UK server for watching BBC content, also a cool feature.

RY213
07-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I miss the old days of the internet when content wasnt blocked by region. I hate when im trying to view a tv clip or song on youtube and it is blocked...

ronaldo
07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
http://tunlr.net/

its free...

mr2mike
07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I assume this works for Hulu too?
What about Spotify? Better than Pandora apparently.

Mar
07-25-2012, 04:58 PM
It will work for any USA based geo-IP restricted service. So yes, it works for Hulu. I don't know what Spotify is.

pf0sh0
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Incase anyone was interested....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eo4fpnT7jo&feature=youtube_gdata_player:thumbsup:

Mar
08-31-2012, 08:29 AM
I've since switched over to Unblock-US.

lellowrx7
08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo

its free...

+1
Just tried it out.
Thanks

chibwack
08-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by RY213
I miss the old days of the internet when content wasnt blocked by region. I hate when im trying to view a tv clip or song on youtube and it is blocked...
But it can still take 30 seconds to show us the ad before the video :banghead:

chibwack
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
So do I have to cancel my canadian subscription to do this, or how does that work?

FraserB
08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by chibwack
So do I have to cancel my canadian subscription to do this, or how does that work?

Nope, it takes me about 30 seconds to switch between my Canadian account, my US NetFlix and the British NetFlix.

Un-block lets you use Hulu as well.

Might as well cancel cable.

Ethel Wise
09-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

09-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Ethel Wise
I get my Netflix and Pandora for the USA in here usnetflixcanada.com and I have a good relationship to them.

Try to check this to solve your problem for a bit.

Your ANUS - Prepare it!

But Seriously, stop spamming your shit.

Boosted131
09-22-2012, 12:58 AM
I've used unblockus for 2 years now, pretty much when Netflix came out I had the American one

msommers
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I like VPN Traffic. Can select servers from all over the world and has an app I can use on my Galaxy S2 for Pandora, plus there is a little app on the computer you can use if you want it on or not instead of going into network properties like USunblock. $35 a year...works for me.

vengie
09-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo

its free...

How do you activate the TUNLR DNS setting? I followed the instructions for mac, have their primary and secondary at the top of my DNS list, restarted my CPU and nothing... What am I doing wrong?!

Ichigo
09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I use hotspot shield.

It works great on my android.
As for the computer its hit and miss.

ekguy
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Has anyone tried any of these on ps3? and if so which one and how'd it work?

codetrap
09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
I use unblockus on my router, and it handles the DNS for everything in the house. It all works perfectly for the Wii, and the XBOX360, as well as PCs etc..

desi112
10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I use unblockus on my router, and it handles the DNS for everything in the house. It all works perfectly for the Wii, and the XBOX360, as well as PCs etc..

So do you have to have American netflix in order to make this work?

Mar
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Has anyone tried any of these on ps3? and if so which one and how'd it work?

4UetGscsjJY

Originally posted by desi112

So do you have to have American netflix in order to make this work?
No, I have a Canadian account, works fine.

ekguy
10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
thanks Mar!!!

So does this basically just switch it to american netflix right on the ps3?

Mar
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
thanks Mar!!!

So does this basically just switch it to american netflix right on the ps3?
Yes. Once you change your DNS settings you load Netflix and it'll have the new content. No need to reboot nor do anything else. It won't look different but you can tell by looking at Top Gear. If it shows season 17 then you're on USA.

ekguy
10-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks!!!

:D

Kavy
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
The on device DNS setting is the best way IMO. I use my Xbox for USA Netflix and my ps3 for Canadian Netflix and get the best of both worlds

klumsy_tumbler
10-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
The on device DNS setting is the best way IMO. I use my Xbox for USA Netflix and my ps3 for Canadian Netflix and get the best of both worlds

I agree. Even more options!

BigDL
10-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Works unblock-us great for me, and you can go into the setup page and change which netflix it points you to. So I can easily scan though UK, Canada and US to see if there is anything new on one that isn't available on the others. Mexico is ok, but some movies have subtitles.

yellowsnow
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Looks like tunlr has stopped netflix support. Any other free services out there?

star-k
10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Nope, it takes me about 30 seconds to switch between my Canadian account, my US NetFlix and the British NetFlix.

Un-block lets you use Hulu as well.

Might as well cancel cable.

How do you know if you are on the American Netflix vs the Canadian Netflix after installing? might be a dumb question, but seriously I dont' know.

Mar
10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by star-k
How do you know if you are on the American Netflix vs the Canadian Netflix after installing? might be a dumb question, but seriously I dont' know.

Originally posted by Mar
It won't look different but you can tell by looking at Top Gear. If it shows season 17 then you're on USA.

Gman.45
10-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Quick FYI, Brazil netflix which is available through unblock US has the entire James Bond series playing. Moonraker! Pew Pew Pew!!

msommers
10-05-2012, 07:20 AM
For those with Telus, how do you have this setup? I don't think I can change the DNS on the router they provide. Would it be possible to go from the router->computer->wirelessly (or wired, I think I have another port back there) back to WDTV/BD/Xbox etc?

Mar
10-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I can't imagine not being able to configure the DNS on a router. Are you sure?

Boosted131
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
of course you can...

i've had usa netflix since netflix came out haha, every device in my router can get it.

ekguy
10-11-2012, 08:56 PM
same problem here with Telus. How do you change the DNS? I changed it on my ps3 and followed all the unblock us steps. But it won't connect to netflix.com.

And for some reason my Canadian content seems to be less than half what it was before...

ekguy
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Googled it and it says some telus actiontec routers, which is what i have, have special firmware which doesn't allow changing the dns address but it says you can still change it on individual devices which i've done on my ps3 but it will connect with automatic dns to canadian content, but follow all instructions and it won't connect to american one...

please help someone.

Mar
10-11-2012, 09:17 PM
You need to set the DNS settings to manual, not automatic. Then change the DNS Gateway.

ekguy
10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
re-read what i wrote. when i change the dns settings to the addresses provided on unblock us it will not connect to the american netflix...I followed the instructions to a T. Doesn't work. But as soon as i switch it back to automatic it will connect to the canadian one right away...

Do i need to change dns settings on my router as well, because if so guy a few posts above me with Telus is having the same problem which is the inability to change that setting on the router...

Mar
10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
re-read what i wrote. when i change the dns settings to the addresses provided on unblock us it will not connect to the american netflix...I followed the instructions to a T. Doesn't work. But as soon as i switch it back to automatic it will connect to the canadian one right away...

Do i need to change dns settings on my router as well, because if so guy a few posts above me with Telus is having the same problem which is the inability to change that setting on the router...
I read it three times, I still can't decipher it. You don't need to change the settings on the switch, that's only to avoid having to do it per device. If you change it on your Playstation 3 after activating your IP via the website, it should work fine. Make sure you go to the website and activate it, it'll only work on one IP for you at a time. Whenever I want to listen to Pandora on my phone outside my house I have to go to the website and activate the new IP I'm on in order for it to work.

ekguy
10-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh thanks man ill try that when i get home.

desi112
10-12-2012, 09:47 AM
do DNS settings slow your computer down??

Kavy
10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
do DNS settings slow your computer down??

Depending on the VPN provider you use your Internet speeds can be effected. Your computer speeds however will not be effected by a VPN.

desi112
10-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Depending on the VPN provider you use your Internet speeds can be effected. Your computer speeds however will not be effected by a VPN.
Thank you, pardon me I meant internet.

Are there any free DNS providors?

Kavy
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM

The free ones tend to have terrible throughput and service IMO so I cannot recommend any. I use unblock-us and it is fantastic.

codetrap
10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Google DNS is free.. in fact, pretty much all dns is free.

msommers
10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh thanks man ill try that when i get home.

You have any luck? I'm with Telus as well.

RawB8figure
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
has anyone used the google dns? I can access hulu but not netflix usa or pandora

Mogg
10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I simply get dns numbers off YouTube every couple weeks for the Xbox and it works great. :dunno:

EK69
10-16-2012, 02:25 AM

from what i gather, these DNS re routings and VPN are completely different

VPN - yes internet speeds will slow down to whatever the VPN allows
DNS re routing (unblock us) - no speed difference

Boosted131
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I used unblockus for over 2 years with no speed decrease

Mar
07-30-2014, 10:44 PM
I've been using Pandora as a music service for 8 years but I've always needed to be on Wi-Fi so I can change my DNS settings using unblock-us.com. That posed a problem using Pandora on my phone because I could only use it when connected to Wi-Fi, never when on LTE because I couldn't change the DNS settings for LTE. I spent the last 2 years rooting my phone and downloading custom ROM, nothing would allow me to use Pandora outside Wi-Fi.......until now.

I did my routine quarterly check to see what new technology is available for this and stumbled across an Android application called Hola, it claimed to give you USA Netflix, Pandora and every other USA IP based service, all for free and with no extra setup. Just download and install.........seemed too good to be true. I downloaded it, installed it and 30 seconds later I was listening to Pandora over LTE, it's beautiful.

You literally just have to download the Hola application, click the service you wish to use (I clicked Pandora), and switch your country to USA for that application. It actually downloads and installs Pandora for you, then it just works, for free. No more $5 monthly subscriptions to Unblock-US and no more limiting to Wi-Fi to use Pandora. There is also a Chrome and Firefox plugin which allows you to use the services in your browser on your computer, I'm not sure how it would work with media players.

:clap:

This also means that a lot of you that have Pandora built into your car stereos can now use it as well. It doesn't come directly into your stereo, you have to pair your stereo with your phone and run the Pandora application on your phone but you control it completely through the head unit. I'm thinking about picking up a Pandora compatible head unit now.

B69
07-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Do you find Pandora uses a lot of your data if you stream it?

rage2
07-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Budget 1GB a month for an hour a day of listening over data.

I haven't touched Pandora since iTunes Radio. It's "integrated" into anything that supports iPod integration as radio is pretty much treated like a playlist. Found the music selection way better on iTunes than Pandora.

n1zm0
07-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Mar
You literally just have to download the Hola application, click the service you wish to use (I clicked Pandora), and switch your country to USA for that application. It actually downloads and installs Pandora for you, then it just works, for free.

:clap:

This also means that a lot of you that have Pandora built into your car stereos can now use it as well. It doesn't come directly into your stereo, you have to pair your stereo with your phone and run the Pandora application on your phone but you control it completely through the head unit. I'm thinking about picking up a Pandora compatible head unit now.

Hola is amazing for that stuff, I have been using it since last summer, initially to watch Netflix US on my phone when I had to wait at the Harry Hays building for 3 hours or so, then I totally forgot about my deck's pandora function, works really good. However I find I have been using TuneIn radio alot more via bluetooth, just way more selection imo.

edit:

Originally posted by B69

I just remembered why I started using TuneIn radio vs pandora after awhile, because I noticed pandora ate up more data, perhaps it's because of the quality?

But since I switched to Wind with the 'unlimited'(5gb) data plan, it's not really an issue which one I use.

Mar
07-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by B69

I ran a test on the same day and used Pandora for 1.5 hours exactly. My day's data usage (minus the other stuff) was about 15 mebibytes which means it's about 10 mebibytes per hour. I've got a 2 gibibyte plan so that works out to about 200 hours of Pandora per month without using my phone for anything else.

jwslam
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mar
mebibyte; gibibyte
TIL...