PDA

View Full Version : Instrumentation inside sales position vs Med Lab Tech

sbin
07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Hello all,

I'm really confused as to which I job I should take and make a career out of.

I just finished my Degree in Medical lab science, and got really lucky to land a full time job, which makes about 60k~65k depending on amount of evening, night and weekend shifts I do. This is in the diagnostic laboratory field, which is very very relevant to my degree. However, the growth in salary isn't very much from year to year.

However, just this weekend, I was offered a job that is completely different from what I have studied. It's a process instrumentation technical inside sale position, it will pay 50~60k in the first year, and depending on how well I do, I could potentially make a lot more. And sales is something that I'm interested in, and want that kind of entrepreneurship. Although with this position, I have to go back to school and learn about instrumentation, however considering its work while learning, I don't have any problems with that.

So here is the dilemma, which job can offer more opportunities with the possibility of entrepreneurship in the long run?? I don't really care if I make less in the beginning, my vision is set 10-15 years down the road.

Any inputs or suggestions are high appreciated!!!

Disoblige
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
You kinda answered your own question.

Choice 1:
You spent x years earning your degree and you found a perfect job that caters to that. You will gain experience in that field which is very valuable as a fresh grad.

Choice 2:
Fuck the degree. I'm going to do a technical sales position which has to potential for more money but has nothing to do with what I studied. I like sales though.

:dunno:

sbin
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Hahaha, I know.... It kind of sucks to have to make this decision, but if I'm think it in terms of strictly money, which one do you think its rewarding and more versatile?

Because the thing is, opening a medical laboratory as my business 10-15 yrs down the road isn't very practical considering we are in Canada, government pays for everything, its not private like the states.

But on the another hand, if go for the inside sales position, I could move towards coming out and doing it on my own if I build enough client base. which is something I would be like to do.

LOL.. I'm sooo confused..

Disoblige
07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
If it was me and I earned a degree in a field I am interested in, I would take the job in the lab and get some experience, not take a technical sales job that seems to have low requirements (pretty much anyone with some sort of diploma or degree can do that job).

It seems to me you have a degree in a field you have little interest in.

sbin
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Its not like I have little interest in lab work, its about seeing the light at the end of tunnel, knowing that I can able to be my own boss or be rewarded if I put enough of a effort.

ga16i
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Inside sales for instrumentation can be pretty cushy. There's probably opportunity for outside for more money if you choose to go that way.
Is it one of the bigger guys in town like Grainger, Spartan, ITM or something? It'd be a great foot in the door for technical sales. Sales drives everything. Sales is one of those rare positions in a company that are revenue generators as opposed to cost centres :D I'm a bit biased towards sales if you couldn't tell.

HiTempguy1
07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
Inside sales for instrumentation can be pretty cushy. There's probably opportunity for outside for more money if you choose to go that way.
Is it one of the bigger guys in town like Grainger, Spartan, ITM or something? It'd be a great foot in the door for technical sales. Sales drives everything. Sales is one of those rare positions in a company that are revenue generators as opposed to cost centres :D I'm a bit biased towards sales if you couldn't tell.

Yep. I worked for Westburne for a while doing Inside Sales (instrumentation technologist) and the money was good, work wasn't too bad, and they paid for you to do a whole bunch of interesting things.

I'm not a sales guy though, and if you WANT to move up salary-wise, you have to be prepared to go into outside sales. Hell, 2 years later, I still earn less money where I am currently at then there.

The only issue I have with sales is that it's SALES. It definitely pigeonholes you in that sort of position IMO. Not that there is anything wrong with becoming manager of the sales division eventually...

freshprince1
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm in Process Controls Sales, and started out in inside sales a few years ago (I work for one of the major DCS vendors). I wanted to get into Account Management. I broke into ...good money... by the third year. Instrumentation and Controls is a huge sector spanning almost all industries worldwide. Huge potential for growth if you get into one of the big companies, especially if you have the technical knowledge (which I don't). I've come to terms with the fact that Sales is what my career will be, and this industry is a good place for that.

Good luck making your choice.

Pacman
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Why is it required that you go back to school in order to secure a technical sales role?

Are there other companies that will hire you based on your academic degree and train you in-house?

When I finished university (did a finance degree), I went straight into an outside sales role that had nothing to do with finance/business. I was trained in-house on the technical/science knowledge.