PDA

View Full Version : How bad can a car get if its never been maintained for 7 years?

nzwasp
07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
My mother in law told me to oil the squeaky door hinges on her 2005 nissan sentra so I looked under the hood too.

I found that one of the hoses is leaking coolant so bad its built up this green crusty stuff all over the hose, the serpentine belt looks worn, the air filter came with the car, the coolant level was at a minimum, the oil gets changed every six months at canadian tire, so that was the best news.

Car has done 82km

kvg
07-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a Versa with basically the same motor with 75k and all I have had to do is oil changes and I take it to the dealer every 3 months for them:dunno:

Weapon_R
07-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Probably not a huge deal if it runs and drives well. Belts and hoses can be repaired easily. It doesn't look like she drives a lot so oil changes can go a little longer without harming the vehicle.

Seth1968
07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Great topic.

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Coupe with almost 200k, that runs and shifts with no issue despite the following:

In regards to fluids:

- I renew the oil and filter every 15,000 kms. (except when it was new, when I replaced it every 1000 kms for the first three times)

- Coolant: Never changed it. No issues with heating and cooling.

- Tran fluid: Never changed it. No issues with shifting.

CanmoreOrLess
07-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Modern day vehicles really need very little care (idiot lights off, all is well), CT missed or never bothered to mention the coolant leak and belt wear? Look over the bills and see if they ripped her off in saying they replaced filters and in fact never did. I'd bet your MiL said "oil change only" as she was fearful of being ripped off.

I imagine everything from wiper blades, brake adjustments, engine filters and interior air filters, transmission fluid (?), coolant issues have not been touched since day one. A few hundred and she is good to go.

I'd do the engine bay spray, engine/interior filters, wiper blades myself (save $$) and the rest goes to a Nissan mechanic. Oddly the wiper blades might only need a $5 per side replacement, only replacing the rubber, available from the dealer. I the idiot, tossed the factory blades and now it costs me $55 a year in new wiper blades from Canadian Tire.

Check tire pressures as well, tire rotations..... this is a real rabbit hole...

Throw in a good auto detail and she is good to go until 2020.

Seth1968
07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Side note:

Who makes money from "required maintenance"? The dealership and/or manufacturer?

I suspect both.

CanmoreOrLess
07-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Side note:

Who makes money from "required maintenance"? The dealership and/or manufacturer?

I suspect both.

Both, everything is on a clock. Getting a car serviced, the coffee and donuts may be "free" but they are not really free. Some of the stuff like brake adjustments really make a difference on my vehicles, switching to all synthetic fluids eliminated the transmission and rear end change overs from the dealership. Tire rotations at 40 bucks a pop seem excessive, half the time they forget to replace one of the four air valve caps. Always having to double check their work.

nzwasp
07-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Shes chinese and doesnt speak english so probably is hard at service. How often should brake pads be replaced?

CanmoreOrLess
07-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Shes chinese and doesnt speak english so probably is hard at service. How often should brake pads be replaced?

In my experience, 50/50 highway and city, I got 120,000 kms out of the front brakes before they needed replacements and the rotors turned (should have simply replaced the rotors...). Brake adjustments and cleaning every 24-30,000 kms or so, I think. When they start feeling odd, I mention it at an oil change. The rears have not needed replacement as of yet.

A trustworthy mechanic can give the car a once over, I stick with the dealership as the costs are pretty much the same as elsewhere. Perhaps some replacement parts would be cheaper elsewhere, labour rate is about the same.

The main reason I stick with the dealer is for any problems I may have in another city. If a Honda dealer did the work the other city dealership will make good on any service issues. I was in Victoria and my brakes were not right. I had a brake service in Calgary at the dealer in the NW (just before leaving for BC) and they messed up in turning the rotors, the problems did not appear until I was in Kelowna, BC. I had the brakes looked at in Victoria, the dealer there had the car for a few hours and did not charge me a dime as they would be billing the Calgary NW dealership for the screw up.

Someone on beyond can recommend a good Nissan mechanic.

J-hop
07-21-2012, 05:18 PM
^ what exactly is involved in a brake "adjustment" I hear people use that term but other than adjusting the tension on an ebrake cable what can you adjust on new cars???? I lubricate the friction surfaces at pad changes but I've never had a vehicle with any adjustments

nzwasp
07-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Im in edmonton this weekend.

e31
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I lubricate the friction surfaces at pad changes...

What?

sillysod
07-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Prly talking about caliper pins.

I never do "brake service" on my vehicles. But I do fluid change every 100,000kms.

It's a Nissan she should be ok if someone goes through it, thank god it isnt German or she'd be pooched.

Brakes are designed to squeel loudly when it's time to replace, its a warning system built into normal non-sensor type pads. If it's quiet she's still fine.

Only thing that really needs to get done in my opinion is fluids. There is no such thing as "life time" fluids, they are more reastically "warranty period fluids". It is inexpensive and will ensure many more years of good transmission life.

Only other thing would be if that vehicle has a timing belt or not, if it does that is a top priority to swap if its overdue.

J-hop
07-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by e31

What?

Sorry if that wasn't explanatory enough, the caliper guide pins guide the pads through contact/friction between the metal body of the pad and the pin. They need to be greased regularly (should do it at every pad change) to prevent corrosion and allow for proper caliper function

I was just interested in this brake 'adjustment' people speak of, it sounds a lot like filling up your headlight fluid as really there is nothing I can think of that would ever need adjusting on brake calipers, even drums are self adjusting.

sillysod
07-21-2012, 10:34 PM

I was just interested in this brake 'adjustment' people speak of, it sounds a lot like filling up your headlight fluid as really there is nothing I can think of that would ever need adjusting on brake calipers, even drums are self adjusting.

haha no kidding

HO2S
07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
^ what exactly is involved in a brake "adjustment" I hear people use that term but other than adjusting the tension on an ebrake cable what can you adjust on new cars???? I lubricate the friction surfaces at pad changes but I've never had a vehicle with any adjustments
Brake adjustment only applies to drum brakes. Their is a threaded star wheel or toothed wedge for adjustment.
For lubing disk brakes, Any metal to metal contact you want a thin coat of sil-glyde. On the backing plate of the pad, on the pad clips. and the slide pins.

J-hop
07-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by HO2S

Brake adjustment only applies to drum brakes. Their is a threaded star wheel or toothed wedge for adjustment.
For lubing disk brakes, Any metal to metal contact you want a thin coat of sil-glyde. On the backing plate of the pad, on the pad clips. and the slide pins.

Drum brakes 'should' be self adjusting though shouldn't they? If they aren't adjusting properly I would suspect they need an overhaul/clean.

J-hop
07-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Drum brakes 'should' be self adjusting though shouldn't they(especially on new cars)? If they aren't adjusting properly I would suspect they need an overhaul/clean.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Most non-domestics do not self adjust and need servicing every 25,000 or so.

Most self adjusting drums don't self adjust properly either lol.

Also a good point is quick lube shops are great for oil changes, but its good to get the car up in the air for a full inspection to catch things like loose wheel bearings, ball joints etc.

n1zm0
07-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Even then the only manual adjusting a driver should do would be on an older tractor semi afaik or in an emergency on auto slack adjusters, even then its rare to have a manual adjust for drums even on a semi truck since most are now auto slack adjusters, tnx CCA, embedded in my brain forever on how to adjust tractor service brakes.

HO2S
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Even then the only manual adjusting a driver should do would be on an older tractor semi afaik or in an emergency on auto slack adjusters, even then its rare to have a manual adjust for drums even on a semi truck since most are now auto slack adjusters, tnx CCA, embedded in my brain forever on how to adjust tractor service brakes. Just as AE92 said, they are automatic adjusters that never work. So you have to manually adjust them.

jibber
07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
If you need parts for your mother-in-law's Sentra, come see me. I'm the Parts Manager at Sunridge Nissan. I should have everything you'll need for that car ready to go, and if you mention beyond I'll give you a solid discount on everything.

Seth1968
07-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Sooo...the dealership and manufacturer make money off of "required maintenance" that voids the warranty if you don't comply. Does that ring alarm bells for you?

Anyway, in addition to my previous post:

The manual for my 5 year old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower calls for a new spark plug every season, clean the air filter every 5 minutes, amongst all these other "services".

Damn, I've got enough shit to do. I only paid $200.00 brand new for it. I clean the air filter when I start to see smoke due to lack of oxygen, and just for kicks, I replaced the plug today. It runs beautifully after 5 years of mowing on a lot that's about 5 times the size of the average city lot.

Ditto on the above for my grass trimmer.

BTW- I also don't get this, "Replace the fuel after winter storage". I've never done so, and the lawn engine equipment runs fine.

HO2S
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Sooo...the dealership and manufacturer make money off of "required maintenance" that voids the warranty if you don't comply. Does that ring alarm bells for you?

Anyway, in addition to my previous post:

The manual for my 5 year old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower calls for a new spark plug every season, clean the air filter every 5 minutes, amongst all these other "services".

Damn, I've got enough shit to do. I only paid $200.00 brand new for it. I clean the air filter when I start to see smoke due to lack of oxygen, and just for kicks, I replaced the plug today. It runs beautifully after 5 years of mowing on a lot that's about 5 times the size of the average city lot.

Ditto on the above for my grass trimmer.

BTW- I also don't get this, "Replace the fuel after winter storage". I've never done so, and the lawn engine equipment runs fine.
The manufuacture does not make any money from maintenance. The manufacture puts out the service schedule. The dealer peforms the work, and make money off of the work peformed.
I lawnmower is a little different than a car.

FixedGear
07-25-2012, 08:57 AM

That's probably just there as a cautionary warning since gas can get old.

nzwasp
07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jibber
If you need parts for your mother-in-law's Sentra, come see me. I'm the Parts Manager at Sunridge Nissan. I should have everything you'll need for that car ready to go, and if you mention beyond I'll give you a solid discount on everything.

Thanks however I got everything done for around $200 in Edmonton, it should last her awhile.

I would hope your nissan is alot better than royal oak nissan, service I had there after i bought a car there has been shocking!