PDA

View Full Version : 5-Month Challenge... And Beyond?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

flipstah
07-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Executive Summary is available on 1st post below

Originally posted by flipstah on Dec. 7, 2012
Well, here it is; what you've all been waiting for.

The weigh-in.

Many months of work and it has come to this.

Before I reveal the results, I just want to say thanks to the following:

- Warcaster for teaching me proper techniques and to help me develop a strong mind-set
- World Health for having a first-class facility and friendly staff (not getting paid to say this; sincerity at its' finest)
- All of you subscribers! A lot of you gave me the determination to continue by providing words of encouragement or tips on healthy eating and proper techniques.

If it weren't for Beyond, I don't think I would've made it this far!

Thanks for keeping me in check, internetz! :whipped:

Now just because the deadline has stopped, doesn't mean it'll end here! I'm going to continue my fitness adventures but in a different thread. I want to keep this clean and end it here.

So stay tuned for that one! :thumbsup:

So here we go...

The one for all the marbles.
You ready?!

The Verdict (http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/Weight.jpg)

I'm also posting progress pictures below and at the front of the page:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonFront.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonSide.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonBack.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/Total.jpg

Hey all,

Yes, it's another one of those "threads" but I'm unsure of where or how to start.

I'm a 5'6 164 pound guy with ~25% BMI (32 hips, 36 waist) that wants to lose weight in the next 5 months. I'm going to Asia in December and I want to look good in pics. :rofl:

I'm not looking to bulk up nor become lean; just lose enough fat to look decent. Six-packs are considered a bonus and not a requirement.

I'd rather be strong than be 'ripped'

Right now, I do the following:

- Glass of goat milk before I take the train to work
- A cup of Fibre One cereal when I get there and another one throughout the morning
- Lunch consist of whatever leftovers I have but in a small container
- Another cup-two for the afternoon
- Dinner is whatever I have in my fridge but in a bowl serving

I'm thinking of slimming down my meals and increasing the occurrences of small meals. A more balanced and planned diet is great and this is what I had in mind:

- Breakfast consist of a glass of goat milk and cereal
- Lunch and dinner will consist of quinoa and a salad with some protein; bowl serving
- Snack will be ?

The exercise is the tricky part. I usually do hot yoga but that's not enough and I haven't been going lately. I also used to play floor hockey but our team is not playing till fall. Have to get back into biking long time again.

Right now, I do golf and walking. 'Dat it. :(

I was thinking of P90X or joining the gym and doing a 'focus' week; back day, bicep day, cardio day, etc. I'm going to focus on golf-specific muscles such as the core and legs.

Am I going in the right direction? I'm unsure of what else I should focus on or add/remove anything into my diet.

You're probably sick of reading another thread like this but hopefully, we can get a discussion going!

EDIT (August 1, 2012):

Originally posted by flipstah 07-30-2012 12:37 PM

LOL but the difference is if I quit now, I know enough people (and mods) here on Beyond that I won't hear the end of it. Inlcuding from you! :rofl:

In fact, I'd like to put a little wager into this.

If I last till December, how about you donate $50 to a charity of rage2's choosing; $25 under my name and $25 under Beyond.ca

If I don't last, I'll either donate $25 under your name and $25 under Beyond.ca.

I'm willing to do this for a maximum of 4 people.

$200 is on the line... Which is apparently, what my dignity is
worth. :rofl:

WHO'S IN?

Originally posted by flipstah

Disoblige, thanks for your opinion. I realize that my goals are a bit general and vague so I thought I'd make things more specific and quantifiable:

I want to be a strong and healthy 150 lbs. 15 lbs. less than now. Any weight loss more than that is a bonus. I also want to be able to drive 300 yards.

I want to succeed and I'll try everything I can to make it happen. It's all in your head.

Participants:

- 403ep3
- AzNxHyDrA
- bruceod
- Little Dragon

EDIT: August 27, 2012

Month Zero
165 lbs
124.72 lbs lean body mass
75.6% lean body mass
3.1:1 lean to fat
39.4L of water

40.28lbs of fat
24.4% of body fat

August 1, 2012
165 lbs
90cm waist

August 7, 2012
100x3 deadlift

Month One (September)
158 lbs
129.73 lbs
82.1% lean body mass
4.6:1 lean to fat
41.8L of water

28.27 lbs of fat
17.9% of body fat

October 1, 2012
155lbs
84cm waist

200x3 deadlift
225x1 deadlift

135x3 bench

October 5, 2012
15 minute circuit; as many rounds as you can

10x sumo deadlift highpull
250m row
15x jump squats

Finished with 4 rounds

10x pushups
20x box jumps
5x burpees

Finished with 5 rounds

PICS!

First Day:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2549_zps7f6f66a2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2550_zps3c182ea6.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2551_zps7b30f5bf.jpg

Oct 12, 2012:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2793_zps66927600.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2790_zpsf85e16fa.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DSCN2791_zps0751ebb5.jpg

bigbadboss101
07-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Subscribed. Hey play hockey with max_boost and gang. I skate like an elephant and will give it a go. I think P90X will get you cut more than strong. Do the big three exercises with a couple accessory exercises and up the weight each time. Mix things up every 3-4 weeks.

zipdoa
07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
In life, if you wanna be noticed, you gotta be a shredded sick cunt.

flipstah
07-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Subscribed. Hey play hockey with max_boost and gang. I skate like an elephant and will give it a go. I think P90X will get you cut more than strong. Do the big three exercises with a couple accessory exercises and up the weight each time. Mix things up every 3-4 weeks.

Haha! Fuck, I don't know how to skate at all! But I do have complete goalie gear minus skates. Floor hockey gets too intense :rofl:

I wonder if Costco still sells P90X... Does it come with a nutrition plan or something?

Originally posted by zipdoa
In life, if you wanna be noticed, you gotta be a shredded sick cunt.

FUCK. Fine.

:devil:

CompletelyNumb
07-22-2012, 10:39 AM
So your diet is a glass of milk, 4 cups of cereal, and leftovers? What sort of food is leftovers? That will play a big part in whether or not you lose weight...

To me, you're eating too many carbs and not enough protein. And probably not eating enough.

P90X is great. It will kick your ass but you will love the results.

A790
07-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Diet sucks.

Exercise idea sucks.

Sorry bro, but if you expect to trim down in 5 months you need to commit.

Exercising is the simple part. Hit the gym three days a week and do a basic full body compound routine. 5x5 or something similar. Two days a week do 30-45 minutes of moderate cardio, such as jogging, biking, etc.

Your diet will need to be brought into check. Disregard what you think about what breakfast foods "need" to be, and focus instead on the macronutritional profile that will get you where you want to be. In this instance, I'd be shooting for 50% protein, 25% fat, 25% carbs.

Your posted diet, even with your changes, is too fat/carb laden. You might lose weight, but it will be mostly muscle/water and not necessarily fat. You want to lose fat, even if you don't intend to get "shredded".

Example diet for a non-gym day:

8 AM BREAKFAST: 4-6oz of lean protein (egg, fish, chicken, whatever), some fruits/veg (apple, banana, orange, etc.)

10:30 AM SNACK: low-carb protein shake w/ water (sorry bro, tastes like shit but whatever)

12:30 - 1PM LUNCH: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables/salad (low carb/sugar dressing), small amount of brown rice/quinoa/etc.

5 - 5:30 PM DINNER: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables. Avoid carbs here as it's late in the day.

Should be around 1,800-2,000 calories, 150g protein, 100g carbs, 100g fats.

Example diet for a gym day:

8 AM BREAKFAST: 4-6oz of lean protein (egg, fish, chicken, whatever), some fruits/veg (apple, banana, orange, etc.)

10:30 AM SNACK: low-carb protein shake w/ water (sorry bro, tastes like shit but whatever)

12:30 - 1PM LUNCH: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables/salad (low carb/sugar dressing), small amount of brown rice/quinoa/etc.

5 - 5:30 PM DINNER: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables, small serving of brown rice/quinoa/etc.

POST GYM SHAKE: low-carb protein w/ juice and/or milk.

Should be around 2,100 - 2,300 calories, 200g protein, 125g carbs, 100g fats.

Use FitDay.com to play around with foods until you hit that 50/25/25 breakdown we're looking for.

Food is fuel. Think about that every day, and every time you eat. Food is fuel. Fuck how it tastes. It's there for a bigger and better purpose, so suck it up and just do it. You'll get used to it eventually.

When you're at the gym, lift compound and put effort into it. Don't be one of those lazy-ass "lifters" who does eight different sets of bicep curls and then wonders why they aren't losing inches. Lift compound, and break it down into functional days: push/pull/legs, or something similar (5x5 is good. Follow it.)

Most importantly, LIFT PROPERLY. When you squat, don't do quarter squats like most curl jockeys. Squat to parallel, or a little lower. Feel the burn. It will kick your ass, which is what you want.

When you deadlift, tighten your core and push the motion through, keeping your back straight.

When you bench, arch your back and bring the bar down until you have a 90 degree angle at your elbows. The bench is a full body movement.

Chin ups will better define your arms than bicep curls, so if it comes down to doing curls or chins, do the chins every time.

Push yourself at the gym, hard. Every lift brings you closer to your goal, so lift with purpose.

If you follow the diet/lifting methology I've posted here you WILL NOT GET HUGE, or bulky. You won't. There simply isn't enough calories. You will lose weight, most of it being fat, and you will start to "tone" and define your muscles. 5 months is a lot of time if you plan and prepare for it. You will look awesome as long as you commit to it, so do it. Don't be like many others on here that post a "challenge" and then disappear or make excuses as to why they weren't successful.

If you don't pull it off it's because YOU got lazy and fucked it up.

Good luck. If you ever want a partner at the gym, reach out. I live for that shit.

A790
07-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that unlike a program like P90X (which has its uses), the weight training regimen will build you a solid base of muscle. This will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate), thereby making it easier for you to maintain the weight you've lost as you are now burning more base calories per day than you were prior.

A good friend of mine has been following P90X for three years, and I've been training pretty hard for roughly that same time. We both lost weight- he lost a lot more than me though. However, I look leaner, more defined, and much more athletic because I built a lot more muscle.

So, he's the same height, weighs less, but I have a smaller waist/bigger chest/bi's/tri's/etc. (and I don't mean BULKY, but more defined), and look much better with my shirt off.

Food for thought.

Laoz
07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
I cant give any valuable insight since I'm starting out myself but I've noticed I lost a bit of wait around my core and have been increasing my lifts every time I've been going to the gym.

Find a good exercise plan that fits you, maybe consider the 5x5 routine? Get a good diet plan like A790 says, "they" say its best to eat small portions every 3-4 hours throughout the day, also cut carbs out if you want to lose the fat. Good luck

zipdoa
07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
i'm too lazy to post a big motivational speech like A790, so i'll just back him up. Cook meals two weeks in advance and freeze em. Makes it easy to skip fast food and you'll save some cash as well. Diet is 80% of the battle.

rob the knob
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
much good idea in this thread.

my thought is you would no stick with those plans.

P90X is success because it is easy to stick to. simple and short time. you will have more success for what you want.

INSANITY is another program you may have success with.

flipstah
07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
So your diet is a glass of milk, 4 cups of cereal, and leftovers? What sort of food is leftovers? That will play a big part in whether or not you lose weight...

To me, you're eating too many carbs and not enough protein. And probably not eating enough.

P90X is great. It will kick your ass but you will love the results.

See, that's the thing. Since the leftovers are at random, it's hard to determine. That's why I'm going to have a healthier approach to things.

I'm prepping myself with a mindset of what to eat and what to do. I'll keep posts every week to let you know what I'm doing.

Cut carbs? Check.

Originally posted by A790
Diet sucks.

Exercise idea sucks.

Sorry bro, but if you expect to trim down in 5 months you need to commit.

Exercising is the simple part. Hit the gym three days a week and do a basic full body compound routine. 5x5 or something similar. Two days a week do 30-45 minutes of moderate cardio, such as jogging, biking, etc.

Your diet will need to be brought into check. Disregard what you think about what breakfast foods "need" to be, and focus instead on the macronutritional profile that will get you where you want to be. In this instance, I'd be shooting for 50% protein, 25% fat, 25% carbs.

Your posted diet, even with your changes, is too fat/carb laden. You might lose weight, but it will be mostly muscle/water and not necessarily fat. You want to lose fat, even if you don't intend to get "shredded".

Example diet for a non-gym day:

5 - 5:30 PM DINNER: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables. Avoid carbs here as it's late in the day.

Should be around 1,800-2,000 calories, 150g protein, 100g carbs, 100g fats.

Example diet for a gym day:

5 - 5:30 PM DINNER: 4-6oz lean protein, vegetables, small serving of brown rice/quinoa/etc.

POST GYM SHAKE: low-carb protein w/ juice and/or milk.

Should be around 2,100 - 2,300 calories, 200g protein, 125g carbs, 100g fats.

Use FitDay.com to play around with foods until you hit that 50/25/25 breakdown we're looking for.

Food is fuel. Think about that every day, and every time you eat. Food is fuel. Fuck how it tastes. It's there for a bigger and better purpose, so suck it up and just do it. You'll get used to it eventually.

When you're at the gym, lift compound and put effort into it. Don't be one of those lazy-ass "lifters" who does eight different sets of bicep curls and then wonders why they aren't losing inches. Lift compound, and break it down into functional days: push/pull/legs, or something similar (5x5 is good. Follow it.)

Most importantly, LIFT PROPERLY. When you squat, don't do quarter squats like most curl jockeys. Squat to parallel, or a little lower. Feel the burn. It will kick your ass, which is what you want.

When you deadlift, tighten your core and push the motion through, keeping your back straight.

When you bench, arch your back and bring the bar down until you have a 90 degree angle at your elbows. The bench is a full body movement.

Chin ups will better define your arms than bicep curls, so if it comes down to doing curls or chins, do the chins every time.

Push yourself at the gym, hard. Every lift brings you closer to your goal, so lift with purpose.

If you follow the diet/lifting methology I've posted here you WILL NOT GET HUGE, or bulky. You won't. There simply isn't enough calories. You will lose weight, most of it being fat, and you will start to "tone" and define your muscles. 5 months is a lot of time if you plan and prepare for it. You will look awesome as long as you commit to it, so do it. Don't be like many others on here that post a "challenge" and then disappear or make excuses as to why they weren't successful.

If you don't pull it off it's because YOU got lazy and fucked it up.

Good luck. If you ever want a partner at the gym, reach out. I live for that shit.

This is what I'm looking for! A rough guide of what to eat in a day. I just go 'fuck it' and gorge.

I'm planning to keep updates and I expect to be shamed by the Beyond crowd if I'm pussying out. If you can read this max_boost, you have full permission lol!

A790, which gym do you go to? I may call you out when I need to. Also, is this what you mean by 'compound lifts'?:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551&page=1

I'll try out P90X for now and see what transpires.

My end goal is December 14, 2012

Shit is gonna go down starting tomorrow.

Gotta prepare for the pain. I WANT FUCKING ABS!

403ep3
07-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Don't be too sad if you aren't able to get those "abs" that you are looking for in 5 months. I find the core is the toughest when you are trying to reach your goals.

Good luck!

I might start my own 5x5 thread with the progress too. It's what the cool kids are doing..:love:

flipstah
07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Don't be too sad if you aren't able to get those "abs" that you are looking for in 5 months. I find the core is the toughest when you are trying to reach your goals.

Good luck!

I might start my own 5x5 thread with the progress too. It's what the cool kids are doing..:love:

Haha well like I said earlier, the abs are a 'plus' and not a necessity.

I'm on the hunt for:

- P90X
- Adjustable dumbells

I'm gonna try and avoid using supplements as much as I can and just eat healthy and eat right.

I'm going to follow A790's system and see what will transpire out of that.

Clever
07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
If you do buy P90x you do get a nutrition guide. There was a P90x thread here that a few of us had going for a bit, I haven't touched the DVD's in about 3 years but I can tell you that if anything it will give you a great base and strengthen your core. I have been thinking about buying the second version and give it a go.

tobypaddock
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I know London Drugs carries P90x as well as TV Showcase

A790
07-22-2012, 10:35 PM

See, that's the thing. Since the leftovers are at random, it's hard to determine. That's why I'm going to have a healthier approach to things.

I'm prepping myself with a mindset of what to eat and what to do. I'll keep posts every week to let you know what I'm doing.

Cut carbs? Check.

This is what I'm looking for! A rough guide of what to eat in a day. I just go 'fuck it' and gorge.

I'm planning to keep updates and I expect to be shamed by the Beyond crowd if I'm pussying out. If you can read this max_boost, you have full permission lol!

A790, which gym do you go to? I may call you out when I need to. Also, is this what you mean by 'compound lifts'?:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551&page=1

I'll try out P90X for now and see what transpires.

My end goal is December 14, 2012

Shit is gonna go down starting tomorrow.

I'm going to the Trico centre right now, right by Southcentre. I'm there 4 days per week. Let me know if you want to join- I'd be happy to show you technique, etc.

403ep3
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I noticed your sentence "I'd rather be strong than be 'ripped'."

I haven't really tried p90x but I think its more for getting lean and 'ripped' than actually gaining a lot of strength. Try the 5x5 program 3 days a week and 2 days a week of cardio. This might be better for you because you can also add in an abdominal workout after each 5x5 workout as well.

BUT since you are trying to get a beach bod, maybe p90x might be better for you in the short term. I have quite a few friends that use P90x and they have gotten stronger but they have toned up more than anything.

jsn
07-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm not going to pretend that I have alot of knowledge on this subject but I've gotten decent results from p90x so far.

For me I find p90x alot easier. I work out of town so I can't go to the gym regularly. P90x is easy in that all you have to do is push play and follow along. It just takes motivation to do it every single day. I've definitely gotten stronger and lost weight. I used to weigh between 155-160lbs and I'm maybe an inch taller than you. I'm now on my 12th week of the first cycle of p90x and I'm down to 145 to 150lbs which isn't too bad for a guy my height.

Nice write up though a790. If I find a job in town, I'll probably change it up and hit the gym. It would be nice to get abit more definition.

scboss
07-22-2012, 11:24 PM
If you want to get shredded i recommend insanity. If you want to get shredded and strong I recommend that you learn how to do olympic lifts and all the accessory stuff that goes with it.

That and get a solid meal plan.

max_boost
07-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Multi-vitamin and fish oil.
Watch what you eat. Lift hard. Lifting hard builds muscles, muscles burn fat.

Find a program and stick to it.

NightFX2
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

This.

5 months is a bit unrealistic to get abs if you're at 25% bodyfat right now at 164 lbs... you'll just end up looking super skinny dude with abs.

flipstah
07-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by A790

I'm going to the Trico centre right now, right by Southcentre. I'm there 4 days per week. Let me know if you want to join- I'd be happy to show you technique, etc.

Trico? Damn... I'm in the deep NE so I'm planning on going to the Genesis Centre in Saddletowne. If I do struggle with technique though, I will definitely PM you for a meet.

I noticed your sentence "I'd rather be strong than be 'ripped'."

I haven't really tried p90x but I think its more for getting lean and 'ripped' than actually gaining a lot of strength. Try the 5x5 program 3 days a week and 2 days a week of cardio. This might be better for you because you can also add in an abdominal workout after each 5x5 workout as well.

BUT since you are trying to get a beach bod, maybe p90x might be better for you in the short term. I have quite a few friends that use P90x and they have gotten stronger but they have toned up more than anything.

I'd rather be less fat and stronger than be ripped and just look like a skinny dude.

I think I'll have to evaluate if I should do P90X or a gym membership...

Originally posted by jsn
I'm not going to pretend that I have alot of knowledge on this subject but I've gotten decent results from p90x so far.

For me I find p90x alot easier. I work out of town so I can't go to the gym regularly. P90x is easy in that all you have to do is push play and follow along. It just takes motivation to do it every single day. I've definitely gotten stronger and lost weight. I used to weigh between 155-160lbs and I'm maybe an inch taller than you. I'm now on my 12th week of the first cycle of p90x and I'm down to 145 to 150lbs which isn't too bad for a guy my height.

Nice write up though a790. If I find a job in town, I'll probably change it up and hit the gym. It would be nice to get abit more definition.

Thanks for the update, jsn! I know people personally that did P90X and it worked for them but requires dedication, like a lot of things in life.

Originally posted by warcaster
That and get a solid meal plan.

:werd:

Originally posted by NightFX2

This.

5 months is a bit unrealistic to get abs if you're at 25% bodyfat right now at 164 lbs... you'll just end up looking super skinny dude with abs.

Do you have recommendations on a multi-vitamin? I'm also researching protein powders to fit the criteria A790 mentioned.

End goal: Thinner than usual; abs are a plus.

Disoblige
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
flipstah, you should go for runs and do stairs outside while the weather is still hot and sunny. You got maybe a good 2 months left of this. Then when summer's over, you can do more indoor stuff. Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

And yes, exercising outdoors is a whole lot more different than inside. That'll definitely help you lose more weight, increase you stamina, help you get stronger, etc.

nzwasp
07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Im in on this too, im 6ft1 and 215 pounds. Ideally I want to be 180 pounds. I just need to cut out the sugar but its so hard.

I find that playing a sport helps with getting back into the swing of things, I just started with soccer.

I do go to the gym sometimes but I find that I really dont know what I am doing when it comes to weights!

austic
07-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
flipstah, you should go for runs and do stairs outside while the weather is still hot and sunny. You got maybe a good 2 months left of this. Then when summer's over, you can do more indoor stuff. Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

And yes, exercising outdoors is a whole lot more different than inside. That'll definitely help you lose more weight, increase you stamina, help you get stronger, etc.
This, hit the stairs. throw in some push ups, sit ups and sqauts at either end and enjoy the sun.

ducaudi
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Disoblige, make it count with what ever nice weather we have left in Calgary.

You wanna lose weight? Up the ante man, try to eat 5-6 meals a day with the calories around 300-400 per meal. It's hard at first, but when you get the portioning right, it'll pay off. I went from 230 to 190 in about 6-8 months. I didn't weigh myself because I would give that scale the big F-U and the finger. Train and stick to it. Always remember to give yourself that time to recover, you say you do yoga, so kill it in your training for 3-4 weeks, then do a week of yoga. You're breaking your muscle (or whatever you have in your body) down, so the recovery is where you can build yourself back up. To be stronger, faster, and leaner.

Also note, that after 5 months...Don't just stop after you've made it. It's a lifestyle change, stay comitted and reap the rewards of being healthier and being more fit.

Good luck to you man, and I'm sure as you state in "What you drive" The ladies will appreciate your hard work and dedication.

Darkane
07-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Easy Initial Meal plan? @5'6" and 164 I'd try this:

1) 4 eggs, 1/2 avocado, salsa (as much as desired).

2) Snack 1cup no-fat Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup berries. Fresh frozen whatever.

3) lunch 4 oz chicken breast (Grilled or baked, skinless) with 1 cup Green veg (Broccoli, green beans, asparagus). Drizzle olive oil on the veg.

4) Pre-workout 1 scoop Whey protein, cold water (30min pre-lifting)

4b) DURING lifting: 1scoop whey, 1.5 scoop Gatorade POWDER. Don;t use the liquid, just powder. Mix it in your whey shake with water. Reason is the Powder is dextrose (good sugar for what we need) and the liquid is High fructose corn syrup shit.

5) Post workout: 6oz red meat, 2cups rice or potatoes (10-12oz).

Just off the top of my head rough calorie count is this:

Total 2050-2200 cals or so

180-185 protein
60-70 fat
160-170 carbs.

This will require cooking, but it's easy. Cook a roast, and grill a pack of chicken breasts 1-2 times a week. Make a pot of rice and you're done. Prep-time for the week roughly 1-2 hours. Nothing to it.

EDIT: Eat as many green veggies as you want. The 1 cup is a starting point. Add as much Salsa as you want as long as it's sugar free. Most are just veggies anyway.

You could add veg to your post workout meal as well, just keep those to 1/2-1cup. You'll sleep like shit if you're to full.

R!zz0
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm actually on a 1200 calorie diet and so far i have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I do cardio for 45 mins to an hour eveyday, 30 mins jump rope and 30 mins elliptical. I do have a "Fat-urday" once a week where i can eat anything i want but i don't go too crazy.

Darkane
07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
I'm actually on a 1200 calorie diet and so far i have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I do cardio for 45 mins to an hour eveyday, 30 mins jump rope and 30 mins elliptical. I do have a "Fat-urday" once a week where i can eat anything i want but i don't go too crazy.

Just so you know that's a recipe for burning muscle. As Males we must take every step possible to hold on to muscle while burning fat.

R!zz0
07-23-2012, 11:33 AM
I know man but what can i do? I need to lose at least 25 pounds. Maybe i should buy a bowflex.

DENZILDON
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Less Rice?!!!!

Shiiieeet! That's gonna be hard for a Flip. I can't go by with out eating some in a day! lol!! :nut:

But then my metabolism still works hardcore. hehehe!

shadowz
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
I know man but what can i do? I need to lose at least 25 pounds. Maybe i should buy a bowflex.

Hmm maybe change the way you think a little, 25lbs is a generic number, but if you want to achieve a lean look while maintaining good health and strength. Re-structure your diet a little bit, start with some good strength training, and add some walks or stair climbs here or there. But on the most part you can only keep up with your current meal plan and exercise for so long.

Penguin_Racecar
07-23-2012, 11:50 AM

This has been mentioned before surely - but pain does not get you abs. No matter how hard you work out at the gym or how many thousands of situps you do you will not get the abs you want from that. Ab visibility is made in the kitchen, as a result of low body fat percentage. You can build all the abs in the world, but if it's covered in fat you're just going to look more fat :)

Proper diet will be your most important tool in cutting body fat percentage. Weight training will ensure you don't look like a skeleton when you drop you body fat.

Penguin_Racecar
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Just so you know that's a recipe for burning muscle. As Males we must take every step possible to hold on to muscle while burning fat.

Seconding this - for the love of all that is holy throw in 2 days of weight training. Squats/deadlifts/bench/bent over rows (anything that employs multiple muscle groups is good) if you're time-crunched.

403ep3
07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Less Rice?!!!!

Shiiieeet! That's gonna be hard for a Flip. I can't go by with out eating some in a day! lol!! :nut:

But then my metabolism still works hardcore. hehehe!

+1 I try to stick to 2 scoops of rice max per day..it's not easy :banghead:

scboss
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Seconding this - for the love of all that is holy throw in 2 days of weight training. Squats/deadlifts/bench/bent over rows (anything that employs multiple muscle groups is good) if you're time-crunched.

It's awesome that you want to get abs flip, to be honest tho if you lose a bunch of weight and don't weight train you will prob look worse then you do now. How many of the pics are you gonna have your shirt off? Lol get a jacked body first then try to focus a lot more on ur cut like 8 weeks out.

Abs are overrated compared to lean size. You should be hitting weights 3x per week and cardio 3x per week.

Also you should cut startch out of your diet if you can. Btw having a 5 month goal is way to much to ask. Make a bunch of small goals leading up to your big one, or watch the motivation drop within 4 weeks

flipstah
07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm definitely going to enjoy the sun as much as I can. I'm gonna go for a run after work today and just see how far I can go until I get wheezy and give up.

Then, use that as my benchmark. I'm gonna start it early today because fuck, I need to reduce.

Remember that my goal is to just be thinner than usual and to look decent/good in pictures. Abs and stuff are added bonuses. Focused on later.

Day One

Breakfast:
- Glass of goat milk

Snack:
- Can of V8

Lunch:
- Salad with Asian dressing and a crab omelette

Snack:
-V8
- Cup of Fibre1 Honey Clusters

Dinner (Pre-Run):
- Chicken
- Salad with dressing on the side
- Bean sprouts

Running Results:
First day running after many months of inactivity and using my new Five Fingers and I am wrecked. Ice baths rule. 5 km(!) got me winded. WTF.

Snack (Post-Run):
- Spinach
- Piece of fried cod
- Glass of milk

Darkane
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
^^ Did you read my diet post?

It's good info check it out

scboss
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Agreed because v8 is not a snack and milk is not breakfast :facepalm:

flipstah
07-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Agreed because v8 is not a snack and milk is not breakfast :facepalm:

Yes yes but I didn't go grocery shopping yet! Aiya, lol.

bigbadboss101
07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Dude if you go to Sunridge World's I can use a WO partner :D

flipstah
07-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Dude if you go to Sunridge World's I can use a WO partner :D

How much is the monthly there? I was thinking of joining the YMCA because I'll have access to the Eau Claire place downtown and Saddletowne in the NE.

msommers
07-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Good on ya man. Gym > p90x if it's feasible. I haven't worked out in awhile and it's showing. It takes me awhile to get muscle and all of my previous work is basically gone, size and strength. Working out of town was a big excuse (and left shoulder pains from improper bench technique I think). I'm trying to formulate a 5x5 type program that is mobile, ie: dumbells/kettlebells/chinup bar so if anyone has any ideas, please PM me. Driving an hour each way to the gym just isn't going to happen when I work 12+hr days.

Diet is a huge part of it. I ate pretty clean and found hot sauce to be my saving grace because a lot of the food tasted so fucking bland it's how I got by. Squats are fucking great, do them all the time. Lots of other great advice in here, just get into a routine and you'll be golden.

At the Y Eau Claire I didn't like their gym setup at all, I don't even remember them having a squat rack. Talisman would be a much better bet imo. I just looked at the Y's Eau Claire membership prices...why the fuck are Men more expensive than Women?!

flipstah
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Good on ya man. Gym > p90x if it's feasible. I haven't worked out in awhile and it's showing. It takes me awhile to get muscle and all of my previous work is basically gone, size and strength. Working out of town was a big excuse (and left shoulder pains from improper bench technique I think). I'm trying to formulate a 5x5 type program that is mobile, ie: dumbells/kettlebells/chinup bar so if anyone has any ideas, please PM me. Driving an hour each way to the gym just isn't going to happen when I work 12+hr days.

Diet is a huge part of it. I ate pretty clean and found hot sauce to be my saving grace because a lot of the food tasted so fucking bland it's how I got by. Squats are fucking great, do them all the time. Lots of other great advice in here, just get into a routine and you'll be golden.

At the Y Eau Claire I didn't like their gym setup at all, I don't even remember them having a squat rack. Talisman would be a much better bet imo. I just looked at the Y's Eau Claire membership prices...why the fuck are Men more expensive than Women?!

Thanks! I did find the YMCA membership quite bizzare.

I won't be able to go grocery shopping until this weekend as I have to finish what I have in my fridge right now. I'M SORRY! :cry:

Day Two

Breakfast:
- Glass of goat milk

Snack:
- Cup of Fibre One

Lunch:
- Small bowl of pho (got invited to a lunch meeting even though I brought my lunch)

Snack/Dinner:
- Spinach/bean sprout salad that I brought for lunch with little dressing on the side and fried cod with hot sauce. Still full.

Activity:
- Wanted to know my limits:
* 16 push-ups
* 61 jumping jacks
* 16 crunches

Absolutely PATHETIC! STEP UP! .:whipped:
Snack (Post-Activity):
- Milk

reiRei
07-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks! I did find the YMCA membership quite bizzare.

I won't be able to go grocery shopping until this weekend as I have to finish what I have in my fridge right now. I'M SORRY! :cry:

Day Two

Breakfast:
- Glass of goat milk

Snack:
- Cup of Fibre One

Lunch:
- Small bowl of pho (got invited to a lunch meeting even though I brought my lunch)

Snack:
- Spinach/bean sprout salad that I brought for lunch with little dressing on the side and fried cod with hot sauce

Dinner (Pre-Activity):
- Will edit later.

Activity:
- Edit later.

Snack (Post-Activity):
- Edit later.

I'm sure everyone's said this to you already.. but you need some protein in that diet.

I'm currently on a nutrition plan set out by my personal trainer, and it's a lot of lean protein and fibrous vegetables.

Breakfast
- 1/2 cup cheerios
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1 Cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup egg whites (I usually have this scrambled)

Snack
- Protein Pancake

Lunch
- Salad (unlimited greens)
- 1 tbsp italian dressing
- 4 oz. chicken breast

Snack
- Protein shake (1 cup almond milk to 1 scoop protein powder)

Dinner
- Unlimited veggies (usually steamed or grilled)
- 4 oz. chicken breast

As far as activity, I have 3 roller derby practices a week, plus a weekly boot camp with my trainer as well as off skate training on off practice days (1 rest day a week)

That is what works for me, I've lost about 20 lbs in the past 2 months (mind you, I am a girl.. so ratios and caloric intake can be different). I'm about 12 lbs away from my goal weight, and I feel great.

flipstah
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by reiRei

I'm sure everyone's said this to you already.. but you need some protein in that diet.

I'm currently on a nutrition plan set out by my personal trainer, and it's a lot of lean protein and fibrous vegetables.

Breakfast
- 1/2 cup cheerios
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1 Cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup egg whites (I usually have this scrambled)

Snack
- Protein Pancake

Lunch
- Salad (unlimited greens)
- 1 tbsp italian dressing
- 4 oz. chicken breast

Snack
- Protein shake (1 cup almond milk to 1 scoop protein powder)

Dinner
- Unlimited veggies (usually steamed or grilled)
- 4 oz. chicken breast

As far as activity, I have 3 roller derby practices a week, plus a weekly boot camp with my trainer as well as off skate training on off practice days (1 rest day a week)

That is what works for me, I've lost about 20 lbs in the past 2 months (mind you, I am a girl.. so ratios and caloric intake can be different). I'm about 12 lbs away from my goal weight, and I feel great.

Oh for sure. Next week, I'm planning to load up on lots of protein and little to no carbs in my diet.

Lowering rice consumption is going to be my Everest. :banghead:

reiRei
07-24-2012, 10:56 PM

Oh for sure. Next week, I'm planning to load up on lots of protein and little to no carbs in my diet.

Lowering rice consumption is going to be my Everest. :banghead:

It's not so bad (I'm filipino too) I find if I have rice once in a while, I don't miss it as much. Mind you, I live about 7 hours away from good home cooking.. so that makes it a bit easier

JAYMEZ
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
You guys have some weirdddd ass diets lol:P .

I will have to remember to post here tomorrow. I am so effing exhausted

E36M3
07-25-2012, 03:02 AM
I'd recommend reading this (Weight loss for Noobs):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113693871&page=1

I don't think that it has to be any more complicated than that at all.

P90X is great but you don't need any of the cardio elements to lose weight. If you want to do a guided resistance workout, maybe try 3 of those a week. If you prefer to go to the gym or to work out with friends, then a lot of the suggestions already in the thread should work out well.

If you want to eat more calories than you are burning, you can add cardio, but it isn't necessary for weight loss.

scboss
07-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
I'd recommend reading this (Weight loss for Noobs):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113693871&page=1

I don't think that it has to be any more complicated than that at all.

P90X is great but you don't need any of the cardio elements to lose weight. If you want to do a guided resistance workout, maybe try 3 of those a week. If you prefer to go to the gym or to work out with friends, then a lot of the suggestions already in the thread should work out well.

If you want to eat more calories than you are burning, you can add cardio, but it isn't necessary for weight loss.

You are kidding right? Cardio is the best way to lose weight when it come to exercise.
Interval training primes your body to burn fat
Long Slow Distance (60% hr for 1 hr) burns fat

If my clients did not do cardio they would not be getting results. Plus the benefits outweigh everything!

Recovery (So important)
Weight Loss
Heart Health (you NEED this)
Endurance
Energy

Its funny how this guy talks about bodybuilders. Every pro or amateur BB I have ever trained does cardio min 3x per week.

E36M3
07-25-2012, 05:47 AM
The OP did not cite any of the benefits that you have listed below, other than weight loss. I don't think that cardio is useless, but it is not necessary for weight loss. Running a caloric deficit is all that is necessary.

While anecdotal evidence may be interesting, it doesn't change the fact that cardio is unnecessary for weight loss, and in many cases impedes weight loss as it is well known to stimulate hunger and in many people this makes it hard to maintain a caloric deficit. If someone wants to add cardio into their mix, it is fine if you follow the basic guidelines in the post.

You are kidding right? Cardio is the best way to lose weight when it come to exercise.
Interval training primes your body to burn fat
Long Slow Distance (60% hr for 1 hr) burns fat

If my clients did not do cardio they would not be getting results. Plus the benefits outweigh everything!

Recovery (So important)
Weight Loss
Heart Health (you NEED this)
Endurance
Energy

Its funny how this guy talks about bodybuilders. Every pro or amateur BB I have ever trained does cardio min 3x per week.

max_boost
07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
While true, you can simply adjust your diet for weight lost, sweating it out is good too.

I hate cardio so I'll swim, yoga, badminton, ice hockey, and hit the steam rooms. :thumbsup:

flipstah
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
While true, you can simply adjust your diet for weight lost, sweating it out is good too.

I hate cardio so I'll swim, yoga, badminton, ice hockey, and hit the steam rooms. :thumbsup:

When do you play badminton, chief? I'm looking to learn techniques and see how I can become decent in it.

scboss
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
The OP did not cite any of the benefits that you have listed below, other than weight loss. I don't think that cardio is useless, but it is not necessary for weight loss. Running a caloric deficit is all that is necessary.

While anecdotal evidence may be interesting, it doesn't change the fact that cardio is unnecessary for weight loss, and in many cases impedes weight loss as it is well known to stimulate hunger and in many people this makes it hard to maintain a caloric deficit. If someone wants to add cardio into their mix, it is fine if you follow the basic guidelines in the post.

Yeah I see what your saying BUT by doing cardio it allows you to eat more and increase your calorie deficit from another area. Dropping your diet to where you lose weight without doing cardio can be done but every time I've tried it I was starving. Make sure you prepare all of your food twice a week so you have no excuses.

I have trained guys that have had extreme transformations and this is what has worked for me. This includes someone who had a huge gut that went on to win a fitness model competition 8 months later.

Just don't confuse your goals and have a good gameplan. 5 months is not a lot of time and IMO the more your in the gym the better chance you have. I just had one of my clients go from 17% bf to 10% while staying the same weight in 3 months. 4x per week eweights and 2x per week core/cardio

max_boost
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM

When do you play badminton, chief? I'm looking to learn techniques and see how I can become decent in it.

I have no patience for noobs. Sorry bra. :rofl:

Why don't you just go train with warcaster, seriously?

Edit: Take sorath with you as well. He wants to train.

bigbadboss101
07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Take Sorath and yourself to WHC Sunridge. I will work with you. BTW, tennis, ultimate frisbee, soccer, ball hockey, ice hockey, yoga, zumba. All fun cardio. Zumba you would have to deal with the 12 women, 2 guys ratio though.

ExtraSlow
07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice, I'm taking up zumba.

flipstah
07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I am discussing with warcaster at the moment. Stay tuned! :D

flipstah
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Breakfast
- 6 links of Filipino cured sausage
- Milk

Snack
- None

Lunch
- Spinach and bean sprout salad with dried fish
- Grapefruit juice

Snack
- Cookie

Dinner
- Chicken wings
- Kung Pao Shrimp Caesar Salad custom combo @ Earls

Bad day.

JAYMEZ
07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Alrighty , I am awake lol.

1.. Your breakfast seems absolute horrible for losing the pounds.. If you are serious about trimming down , you should try going Oats/ Egg whites or Whole eggs.

2. Why are you drinking milk ..or eating Cookies ?

3. How big are your servings per meals?

4. How much water are you ACTUALLY drinking ? (This is huge for getting your BF down.

5. How late are you eating in the night?

6. You need more proteins in your diet .. Chicken / Ground Turkey / Fish. Get used to it , you need em.

7. Try and make your morning snacks a handful of cashews.

8. What are your activities light? When was the last time you did something you have NEVER done before? (Example going for a run , and shocking your body) or going to a harder Yoga Class? If you are continuing to do the same thing over and over , your body adapts and finds an easier way to do that activity while burning less.

9. You should be going to bed with the empty stomach feeling. Your body burns fat when it sleeps , let it do its job and burn fat , and not waste energy burning the stuff you are leaving in your stomach.

10. Again.. Water is SOOOOOoOOoOoOOoOoO Important..

11. Try and do at least 30 mins of cardio a day.. And I mean actually going on a tredmill , putting it at 10 incline and starting at 2 Speed , slowly making your way up to 3.. You WILL lose weight within a week or so. I can guarantee it.

flipstah
07-26-2012, 08:11 AM
JAYMEZ, I'm pretty much showing how I got into this situation and I'm planning to change it by next week.

I'm drinking lots of water and just didn't type it because I thought it was assumed. I drink about ~6-8 bottles of water/day.

I'll keep your suggestions (as well as others) into consideration and make a path forward. :)

DENZILDON
07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Breakfast
- Milk

That many Longanisa in the morning?!!! Daaang!

ducaudi
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Breakfast
- Milk

Snack
- None

Lunch
- Spinach and bean sprout salad with dried fish
- Grapefruit juice

Snack
- Cookie

Dinner
- Chicken wings
- Kung Pao Shrimp Caesar Salad custom combo @ Earls

Bad day.

HOLY GUACAMOLE...

Once I saw links of Filipino sausage...I instantly thought...this guy just down longanisa. LOL, and for BREAKFAST. Clearly this has not been your best week. I'm sure you'll get on the horse next week and do better.

403ep3
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Breakfast
- Milk

Lol Longanisa. That's a whole bunch of calories but good amount of protein. So damn good though...

edit: Haha I got beat out on calling you out on your breakfast!:clap:

DENZILDON
07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
^^^The question is who ate the other 3 Longanisa Links from the 9 link package? :nut:

Just bugging you pare! :D

flipstah
07-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Lol Longanisa. That's a whole bunch of calories but good amount of protein. So damn good though...

edit: Haha I got beat out on calling you out on your breakfast!:clap:

Originally posted by DENZILDON
^^^The question is who ate the other 3 Longanisa Links from the 9 link package? :nut:

Just bugging you pare! :D

LOL they were so good and my brother had the rest.

:drool:

~Leah~
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Coming from another trainer.... what you eat is 80% of the battle. Don't negate what you are doing at the gym by not fueling your body properly. Make it a priority to go shopping and get the food you need. A friend of mine posted this on her wall the other day, and I loved it. Good luck with everything and keep this in mind:

dingbathero
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
If you don't have a better breakfast, you'll have a VERY hard time reaching your goals.

Oatmeal, Egg(s) - need more protein.

For your snacks, to get fiber and protein, try nuts - but bulk, mix them up and have a 1 cup or 3/4 cup for your snack with some milk.

Ab's are made in the kitchen (along with cardio, but mostly eating habits) You eat well, you'll have ab's. To have strong ab's, core work is essential.

As others have been saying, you find a lifting program that works, stick to it for 6 weeks and then change it up. Your body will get bored, you'll get bored and you won't see your gains.

You could drop a lot of weight if you ate better - you'll drop even more and get strong if you are lifting and fueling your body properly.

Hope you commit, more :)

max_boost
07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Anywhere I can go and buy prepackaged healthy meals I can just reheat?

Give me 3 months worth and I'll eat just that and get ripped. :dunno: :nut:

flipstah
07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I think y'all got the point of how terrible I eat lol.

Well, today is the last day of my carefree ways.

No more "fuck it, let's eat it" or "1 kg of yogurt at Menchie's? Challenge accepted." Have to eat smart to look and feel great!

The last meal:

https://p.twimg.com/Ay7Q2zNCcAA2rgY.jpg

I know I can finish it but felt guilty half-way through.

It starts.

So I signed up with warcaster and he'll be teaching me proper techniques and seeing how a plan will lead me in the right direction. It's a big investment so I have to work hard to get dividends!

Some things I learnt from him:

- I don't drink enough water
- 124.72 lbs lean body mass
- 3 .1 to 1 lean to fat ratio
- 40 lbs of fat = 24.4% body fat

I can now go to the gym in Sunridge or in downtown so NO EXCUSES!

I have to commit and I expect to be called out if I get lazy!

I have to keep a food journal from now on and see what's what. Beyond will suffice haha.

I went grocery shopping today and loaded up on:

- Fish such as frozen salmon steaks, cod, haddock, etc.
- Greens such as spinach, chinese broccoli, bok choy, etc.
- Fruits such as mangoes, nectarines, etc.

So I'm planning to grill most of these and avoid chicken because I hate chicken breasts. I'd rather have a fish fillet.

I wonder if I should post the containers I'll be using.

July 30, 2012 is the official start, so I have about ~4 months to make a positive difference.

Like I said before, I'm not looking to be bulk or ripped.

I just want to be a little thinner than now; have a stronger golf swing (stable core); more powerful; maybe a defined chest more than abs.

I don't want to look skinny and malnourished.

I want to be more structured than flabby.

I will be a happy man if this is the case.

Disoblige
07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Lotta talk, but hopefully this doesn't turn into another Vagabond thread. :)

Seriously hoping you succeed flipstah.

I don't want flipstah to go off-track, but I have a different mentality when I workout. I literally almost eat whatever the fuck I want, and could easily be over 200 lb if I wanted to (fatass). I know of no one similar to my size +/-15 lb that can eat the amount of food I can.

But I eat and work my ass off weight training/running outdoors and I focus on bigger goals than vague ones like "I want to be a little thinner", or "I wanna have abs", etc. (Not trying to be insulting or anything, just being honest on what I've seen successful people do).

I find with detailed goals, you are more motivated and get better results because of it.

I want to do 200 proper sit ups in a row on a consistent pace, I want to bench over 2 plates comfortably, I want to be able to do 10 sets of stairs without feeling like passing out, etc.

Khyron
07-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Running's for bitches!

Disoblige
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Running's for bitches!
Run up stairs with me and we'll see who's the bitch :devil:

Jokes aside, stairs kill me and the stamina gained from it is worth every step.

msommers
07-28-2012, 08:15 PM
4 months?! What happened to 5!

No time like the present! Good luck man :)

flipstah
07-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Lotta talk, but hopefully this doesn't turn into another Vagabond thread. :)

Seriously hoping you succeed flipstah.

I don't want flipstah to go off-track, but I have a different mentality when I workout. I literally almost eat whatever the fuck I want, and could easily be over 200 lb if I wanted to (fatass). I know of no one similar to my size +/-15 lb that can eat the amount of food I can.

But I eat and work my ass off weight training/running outdoors and I focus on bigger goals than vague ones like "I want to be a little thinner", or "I wanna have abs", etc. (Not trying to be insulting or anything, just being honest on what I've seen successful people do).

I find with detailed goals, you are more motivated and get better results because of it.

I want to do 200 proper sit ups in a row on a consistent pace, I want to bench over 2 plates comfortably, I want to be able to do 10 sets of stairs without feeling like passing out, etc.

Disoblige, thanks for your opinion. I realize that my goals are a bit general and vague so I thought I'd make things more specific and quantifiable:

I want to be a strong and healthy 150 lbs. 15 lbs. less than now. Any weight loss more than that is a bonus. I also want to be able to drive 300 yards.

I want to succeed and I'll try everything I can to make it happen. It's all in your head.

Originally posted by msommers
4 months?! What happened to 5!

No time like the present! Good luck man :)

January is still there! I'm just saying that I have 4 months to make something happen. :-) The 5th month is the looking good for pics lol.

nykz
07-28-2012, 10:55 PM
You could try some lean turkey breast as well if you don't like chicken, because you'll get sick of that fish fast considering you'll be having it for most meals. Its good to switch it up to keep your meals a little interesting because the first few days or weeks will be good, but after a few months certain items can get really boring.

Good luck Flipstah:thumbsup:

flipstah
07-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by nykz
You could try some lean turkey breast as well if you don't like chicken, because you'll get sick of that fish fast considering you'll be having it for most meals. Its good to switch it up to keep your meals a little interesting because the first few days or weeks will be good, but after a few months certain items can get really boring.

Good luck Flipstah:thumbsup:

Thanks, nkyz! I'll keep that in mind!

Today's Menu

Brunch:
- Quinoa
- Half a tilapia
- Boiled Squash

Lots of water

Dinner:

- Scallops
- Mahi-Mahi
- Mixed greens with extra virgin olive oil and crushed cayenne peppers

https://p.twimg.com/AzAgw-JCUAEEY-I.jpg

First time using my friend's gift and it's pretty great. :love:

Gonna go to the driving range today to get ready for my 9 holes tomorrow.

Then, it's day one of change tomorrow!

What should I eat before a cardio run? I really don't want to do the protein powder route.

403ep3
07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
For a second I thought you started this transformation already. Then I saw your meals for the day, nm!

Get on this! Time is running out!

Khyron
07-29-2012, 09:10 PM
What should I eat before a cardio run? I really don't want to do the protein powder route. [/B]

Nothing other than normal meals. Drink 1 cup of chocolate milk within 30 mins of finishing, makes the next run less painful.

JAYMEZ
07-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Looking good so far..

Remember you have to ease yourself into a "Diet" aka life style change.. Try and go at it for 2 weeks straight , then on a saturday lunch , eat whatever the hell you want..

I usually have one cheat meal per week , early in the day , and I make my activities for that day more intense .. It will keep you sane and will not suffer from it. Your body likes to get fucked around sometimes :P

Alot of this is a mental gain.. When you start to see results and when others say "Holy shit you have changed" , that is when the fun starts :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
How much $ do you anticipate you will spend on groceries? Wondering if one can eat well, healthy at a reasonable cost.

flipstah
07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
For a second I thought you started this transformation already. Then I saw your meals for the day, nm!

Get on this! Time is running out!

YES YES! Gotta get on it! AIYA!

Originally posted by Khyron

Nothing other than normal meals. Drink 1 cup of chocolate milk within 30 mins of finishing, makes the next run less painful.

Check.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Looking good so far..

Remember you have to ease yourself into a "Diet" aka life style change.. Try and go at it for 2 weeks straight , then on a saturday lunch , eat whatever the hell you want..

I usually have one cheat meal per week , early in the day , and I make my activities for that day more intense .. It will keep you sane and will not suffer from it. Your body likes to get fucked around sometimes :P

Alot of this is a mental gain.. When you start to see results and when others say "Holy shit you have changed" , that is when the fun starts :thumbsup:

Thanks, JAYMEZ. I'll definitely keep this in mind. It's going to be a big change but I have to do it for my health.

If any of you notice anything wrong or I'm getting too much/too little of one, let me know.

I think I'll walk up the stairs to work tomorrow. :)

Warcaster, I hope you're reading this!

As for breakfast, I plan to have:
- Two scrambled eggs (with yolk)
- Goat milk, half an avocado, and banana shake

For lunch/snacks:

http://i.imgur.com/70CXC.jpg

- Spinach and bean sprout salad with homemade spicy garlic vinaigrette (extra-virgin olive oil)
- Green mangoes
- Boiled squash
- Grilled cayenne mahi-mahi with coconut oil and pepper on top of quinoa (no salt)
- Greek yogurt with blueberries

I think I'll use this thread as well to establish:
- Cost
- Taste testing
- Cheap deals on food

G'night!

reiRei
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
go without the yolk on your scrambled eggs, you won't miss it, trust me!

flipstah
07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
How much $ do you anticipate you will spend on groceries? Wondering if one can eat well, healthy at a reasonable cost.

I'll be keeping a tally of cost and see which place(s) is/are cheap for things.

Definitely Costco is the way to go for everything. However, some places have 2-for-1 and that can't be beat.

Right now, I'm tallying ~$100 in groceries. The heavy hitters are the frozen fish at Costco and the 500ml Greek yogurt containers (I bought Oikos and Mediterranean Greek Yogurt so stay tuned for taste test).

Originally posted by reiRei
go without the yolk on your scrambled eggs, you won't miss it, trust me!

I'm used to egg whites but that was when I did field work so I got spoiled with that lol.

Wasting yolk makes me cry.

Modelexis
07-29-2012, 10:57 PM
The yolks will do more good than harm. Especially just two! You're not training for a contest.

xdvmT9_ibjA

msommers
07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Eat your friggin egg yolks!

JAYMEZ
07-30-2012, 01:49 AM
If you are bored and want a quick brekky..

I use my magic bullet sometimes.. 4 eggs (Off competition diet.. When competing I have 16 egg whites a day) / 1/2 cup of oats / scoop of protein / Water / Cinnamon ... Magic bullet if for a minute.. And its an amazing shake on the go , and damn good . :thumbsup:

Dumbass17
07-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Anyone do Insanity?
I did the fit test and the first day so far, day 3 is tonight. Great work out and holy crap my cardiovascular sucks. Cardio is so boring!

flipstah
07-30-2012, 08:17 AM
For some reason, scrambled eggs taste better with olive oil lol.

Such a big breakfast this morning and I'm already hungry. Looks like I've been starving my body all this time!

Used my Magic Bullet replacement today:

- Half goat milk
- 2 ice cubes
- Half a banana
- A small avocado

2 scrambled eggs with a drop of extra-virgin olive oil.

Will edit this for day one.

ducaudi
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
You're on your way! Keep at it, 4 months to go and you'll be one happy camper!

AzNxHyDrA
07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Don't do cheat days, do refeed days instead. So instead of eating junk that day just double your carb intake while keeping fat intake down. It'll trick your body into raising its metabolism without killing your diet too much. I'm doing this every two weeks but some people refeed every week.

I'm currently finishing up P90X and I didn't start following a diet until two weeks ago. You really start to see how much of an effect diet has on your loss. My diet consists of a shit ton of chicken breast/fish. You'll start to love that grill your buddy got you. I mainly eat grilled chicken breast/salmon for lunch everyday.

I know most people are gonna rag on me for this but I started doing EC stack with my diet. It's not that healthy for you but everyone has mixed opinions. I won't talk too much about it because your timeframe is quite a bit larger than mine.

My goal was to go from 145--->130 in a month and a half because I'm headed to Dominican at the end of August.

Edit for more info: I'm 5'6, 145lbs. Started diet+EC stack on July 17/2012.
Currently @ 137 lbs

Good luck with accomplishing your goal! :clap:

dandia89
07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
why are you trying to cut? 137lbs at 5'6" seems severely underweight

AzNxHyDrA
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dandia89
why are you trying to cut? 137lbs at 5'6" seems severely underweight

I'm cutting to around 130-135ish till I get a 6 pack (currently sitting at a 4). I wish I could spot reduce my lower stomach fat but it's just not happening. Once I hit my goal I'm planning on lean bulking back up to 140.

403ep3
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Here I am trying to gain 20lbs and everybody else is trying to lose it. 130lbs at 5'6" seems underweight to me.

..or is my goal of 5'8" at 180lb too overweight?

AzNxHyDrA
07-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Here I am trying to gain 20lbs and everybody else is trying to lose it. 130lbs at 5'6" seems underweight to me.

..or is my goal of 5'8" at 180lb too overweight?

Well that's not my end goal. That's just my goal weight before I start to bulk. I'm prioritizing abs over being big and muscular. That's while I'm trying to cut as much as I can before I start lean bulking (trying to stay under 10% bf).

I'm sure at 5'8, 180lbs you would probably hella ripped.

Edit: Where do you guys get your bf measured anyways. I'm quite interested in getting an accurate measurement of what I'm currently sitting at.

KRyn
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

Well that's not my end goal. That's just my goal weight before I start to bulk. I'm prioritizing abs over being big and muscular. That's while I'm trying to cut as much as I can before I start lean bulking (trying to stay under 10% bf).

I'm sure at 5'8, 180lbs you would probably hella ripped.

Edit: Where do you guys get your bf measured anyways. I'm quite interested in getting an accurate measurement of what I'm currently sitting at.

http://www.empowermentpt.com/newsite/site.php

Click 'Services' then 'Bod Pod' this is the best way to get tested.

403ep3
07-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Easy Initial Meal plan? @5'6" and 164 I'd try this:

1) 4 eggs, 1/2 avocado, salsa (as much as desired).

2) Snack 1cup no-fat Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup berries. Fresh frozen whatever.

3) lunch 4 oz chicken breast (Grilled or baked, skinless) with 1 cup Green veg (Broccoli, green beans, asparagus). Drizzle olive oil on the veg.

4) Pre-workout 1 scoop Whey protein, cold water (30min pre-lifting)

4b) DURING lifting: 1scoop whey, 1.5 scoop Gatorade POWDER. Don;t use the liquid, just powder. Mix it in your whey shake with water. Reason is the Powder is dextrose (good sugar for what we need) and the liquid is High fructose corn syrup shit.

5) Post workout: 6oz red meat, 2cups rice or potatoes (10-12oz).

Just off the top of my head rough calorie count is this:

Total 2050-2200 cals or so

180-185 protein
60-70 fat
160-170 carbs.

This will require cooking, but it's easy. Cook a roast, and grill a pack of chicken breasts 1-2 times a week. Make a pot of rice and you're done. Prep-time for the week roughly 1-2 hours. Nothing to it.

EDIT: Eat as many green veggies as you want. The 1 cup is a starting point. Add as much Salsa as you want as long as it's sugar free. Most are just veggies anyway.

You could add veg to your post workout meal as well, just keep those to 1/2-1cup. You'll sleep like shit if you're to full.

I think I might try this meal plan. Looks pretty simple and not too costly. I've been eating like a mess these past couple years and I think its time to get my act together.

Would it be bad for me to buy those packages of chicken breasts that are already cut? My brother cooks chicken like that but I find it really bland and has no flavour. Anyone have a recipe for a better tasting, skinless chicken breast? Please let me know!

I will be heading out probably tomorrow to grocery shop for the essentials. What should I be looking forward to as far as cost every week with this meal plan?

Since I am trying to gain weight as well (20lbs over a period of time), would I see myself gaining weight from this type of meal plan or should I be looking at more calories?

sputnik
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Seriously? Cutting before bulking? "Lean bulking"?

Why not skip a step and take the fat you already have and use it towards building muscle instead?

I was once 135 lbs and really lean and it looked terrible on me. I looked like a caricature with a really slim body and a big head. Once I hit about 150-155 lbs is when I felt and looked my best.

AzNxHyDrA
07-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Seriously? Cutting before bulking? "Lean bulking"?

Why not skip a step and take the fat you already have and use it towards building muscle instead?

I was once 135 lbs and really lean and it looked terrible on me. I looked like a caricature with a really slim body and a big head. Once I hit about 150-155 lbs is when I felt and looked my best.

See, this is what I wanted to do but I'm just afraid that unless I keep eating at a calorie deficit, I won't be able to lose the last little bit of fat covering my lower 2 abs. It's extremely frustrating being so close because I want to start bulking asap.

I know 130 sounds pretty light but by no means am I skinny. I look like I have an average built currently. My face has gotten a little skinnier and my stomach shrank.

dandia89
07-30-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm cutting to around 130-135ish till I get a 6 pack (currently sitting at a 4). I wish I could spot reduce my lower stomach fat but it's just not happening. Once I hit my goal I'm planning on lean bulking back up to 140.
Cool. Good luck with your goals!