PDA

View Full Version : Houses with a steel structure

bitteeinbit
07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Anyone have experience designing or building a house with a steel frame? Looking to build a lightweight house with a steel frame (H-beams, etc.). But I know nothing about steel and I'm looking at how to make floor support and walls. Right now I'm looking at 120mmX60mmX4.5mm(thick) h-beams as well as 100mX100mmX2.5mm thick square blocks and 100mmX50mmX2mm thick rectangular pieces. Anyone have experience building steel-framed houses? Looking to a "how to" guide of sorts on steel structures (two floors): what steel to use, how/where to weld or attach them together, how use it to create decent flooring (to lay plywood) and walls.

CapnCrunch
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
If you know nothing about steel, why do you want a steel house?

spacerz
07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Seems like you need to get in touch with an architect.

Sugarphreak
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM

JfuckinC
07-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
H-beams :rofl:

OP, you are in way over your head

:rofl: no doubt...

OP: H-Beam is usually called an I-Beam(considering they are usually used in a manor that makes them look like an I lol) or Wide flange...

Square/rectangular block is actually Square Tubing - HA/HS/HSS..

lol i don't understand what put you in this direction :confused:

lilmira
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
You mean putting that H thingamajig on top of the rectangular/square thingamajig?

Kidding aside, hire a professional, architect/engineer. Just tell them exactly what you want. You don't need to know how to make it work, they'll figure it out for you.

TomcoPDR
07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Building and fire code might also dictate your framing material choices too op

sputnik
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Sounds like the OP is interested in throwing away money for no good reason.

jdmakkord
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Our neighbors home was all steel frame construction, we went the easy route an used ICF blocks up to the roof with poured concrete walls. :)

ExtraSlow
07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
ICF rules, Steel Drools.

mobius
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Are you planning on moving your house a lot? Why would you be concerned with how much it weighs?

Xtrema
07-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by mobius
Are you planning on moving your house a lot? Why would you be concerned with how much it weighs?

May be the area has termite problems?

bitteeinbit
07-24-2012, 06:36 AM
I know they are I-beams but a capitalized I doesn't show what it looks like and I figured some people might be more clueless than I am. I just want to use steel studs and u-channels. Yeah, figure I'll ask a contractor but I'm in Asia and good contractors here are a dime a dozen...

Sugarphreak
07-24-2012, 07:34 AM

ercchry
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Typically in Asia (and I am generalizing) concrete is the preffered method of construction, no? Concrete is a stronger building material, why wouldn't you follow the norm?

cheap asia labour+lightweight house+boat=profit? :rofl:

bitteeinbit
07-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Even people who don't know anything about steel might know someone or be able to point me in the right direction to get the info I want. Yep, you're right, cement is the material of choice but the problem is that brick and mortar construction is much heavier than a steel frame with zinc sheeting or cement-sheeting walls (and drywall interior). Also doesn't allow for any insulation. Thus my search for an alternative.

ExtraSlow
07-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Did you just say that ICF has no insulation?

I think you are confused.

You still haven't told us why you care how much it weighs. Is this for a floating structure? Are you planning to take your house airborne?

Sugarphreak
07-25-2012, 10:37 AM

CapnCrunch
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM

The steel beams you are talking about in your first post is pretty slender, you are going to have to brace it or figure out how to make your walls into structural elements. HSS sections square/rectangular) are actually better for columns despite being smaller in size, however they will need to be properly sealed as they have a tendency for a) rusting b) getting birds and mice living in them.

I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure most of Asia doesn't use Canadian steel shapes, so asking here is even more pointless.

Ntense_SpecV
07-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure most of Asia doesn't use Canadian steel shapes, so asking here is even more pointless.

Most likely not, but they should be able to take the drawings produced and convert the sizes to whatever they use.

Sugarphreak
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM