PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy the Euro?

tirebob
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey all,

I am going to Europe in just over a week and I need to buy some Euros... My bank says I need to order a week ahead of time and I am just wondering if there are any places I can get with having to order them in and maybe a better deal than the bank?

Thanks!

Bob

Mibz
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
We just use European ATMs :P

tirebob
07-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

Will our Canadian interac cards work in France? I was worried about that. Also, do you get a proper rate of exchange doing this?

msommers
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes CDN cards will work on Euro ATMs. Which bank are you with? If you're using Scotia, look into the Global ATM alliance. Personally I'd take a bit of money out here but money is so accessible there that you don't need to be taking out a huge amount all at once which I wouldn't be comfortable doing anyways.

I only used ATMs that had this symbol on it:
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/6e/2d/72_2.JPG

Mibz
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
You get the same rate that you would at your bank. I don't remember if there's a fee to use the ATM, but if you're only taking out money once or twice a week then it's not gonna add up.

tirebob
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Yes CDN cards will work on Euro ATMs. Which bank are you with? If you're using Scotia, look into the Global ATM alliance. Personally I'd take a bit of money out here but money is so accessible there that you don't need to be taking out a huge amount all at once which I wouldn't be comfortable doing anyways.

I only used ATMs that had this symbol on it:
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/6e/2d/72_2.JPG We are with RBC... If my cards work it does make me feel more comfortable taking less cash and use my cards there, but not if I am going to lose out on hundreds of dollars because of crazy fees and exchange rates going this route... I have never been to Europe so this is a bit new to me! lol!

rage2
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Careful with Euro ATM's, card skimming is much worse in Europe than here. When I went on my trip, I had a separate account setup with a separate ATM card. I would transfer money into that account on my iPhone before making a withdrawl so I could care less if the card and PIN got skimmed. Killed the account afterwards.

As for the original question, I use Calforex.

Better yet, just use your CC everywhere. I rarely needed cash.

Mibz
07-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Depending on where you're going, CC isn't feasible everywhere. If you're sticking to major attractions then you'll be fine, but there are a lot of smaller restaurants and shops that don't take CC.

Street_Soldier
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I use my credit card when i go shopping there. I use my RBC card to get a large sum of cash each week i m there.

I always take my cash out where its safe (ie. the big banks). Ive been to most of the western europe countries and have never had a problem finding an atm or using my CC.

Calgary88
07-23-2012, 01:33 PM
CalForex at 8 Ave down town.

I think they have the best rate.

dannie
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
If you need some right away, I've got around 350 Euros in my wallet, I can exchange em with you. I won't be needing more for a few weeks. PM me if you want to switch.

Also, I am with RBC too... I always make sure to call ahead of time and let them know what countries I will be in and what days so they don't freeze my stuff by accident. I always use a CC that I have specifically for travel so that my normal stuff doesn't become compromised and I always look for the same sign as msommers does if I need to take out cash.

FixedGear
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

This. Don't worry about getting cash before hand, your interac will work in any ATM. Visa/Mastercard are accepted everywhere too.

tirebob
07-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by dannie
If you need some right away, I've got around 350 Euros in my wallet, I can exchange em with you. I won't be needing more for a few weeks. PM me if you want to switch.

Also, I am with RBC too... I always make sure to call ahead of time and let them know what countries I will be in and what days so they don't freeze my stuff by accident. I always use a CC that I have specifically for travel so that my normal stuff doesn't become compromised and I always look for the same sign as msommers does if I need to take out cash. Thanks for the offer but I think with my time frame it makes more sense just to buy it all at once. I was looking to get around 2500 euro or so...

Calling the bank ahead about the card is something I never thought about... Thanks for that insight!

I called CalForex and so far they seem like the best rate. Appreciate all the help!

FixedGear
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
why would you want to travel with so much cash? so much could go wrong, you could be robbed, lose your bag/wallet, etc. Not to mention that you have no idea how much money you'll actually use, which means you might have to lose money converting it twice.

you will have absolutely zero problem just using a debit + credit card. :dunno:

tirebob
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
why would you want to travel with so much cash? so much could go wrong, you could be robbed, lose your bag/wallet, etc. Not to mention that you have no idea how much money you'll actually use, which means you might have to lose money converting it twice.

you will have absolutely zero problem just using a debit + credit card. :dunno: Yeah I am hearing that advice more and more. I may adjust that plan to bring a smaller amount Euro and just hit a bank for replenishment as I need...

Feruk
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I travel to Europe a fair bit. I always take ~200 Euros there, then use ATMs to get the rest. Never had an issue. Watch out for using your CC though as they may charge you a few precent higher for conversions and such though, or the seller may throw on a few percent commission for using a CC. I always use cash in Europe.

msommers
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Whenever I took money out of an ATM that wasn't one of the Global ATMs I mentioned before, it was 5 dollars (or euros, I can't remember) per transaction plus like $1.50 service charge from Scotia. It was only $500 at a time because hotel/hostel took credit card almost always so that could quite often last me a week on meals/entertainment.

Banks and CC will never give you that great of rate but it's either you take $2500 from Calforex/Custom House or as you go with a worse rate + service fees. Keep in mind that ALL the ATMs I used limited me at $500 euros and some even $300. Dannie made a really good point of phoning your bank and letting them know your general itinerary (leaving/coming back/countries etc).

And do take money out before you go. Small things like paying for the cab from airport or train etc you'll want something. And small change for something like paying for the toilet in Paris (or hit the McDonalds or Starbucks like everyone else!) or The Metro.

Off topic, how long and where you all planning on going in France?

tirebob
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Whenever I took money out of an ATM that wasn't one of the Global ATMs I mentioned before, it was 5 dollars (or euros, I can't remember) per transaction plus like $1.50 service charge from Scotia. It was only $500 at a time because hotel/hostel took credit card almost always so that could quite often last me a week on meals/entertainment.

Banks and CC will never give you that great of rate but it's either you take $2500 from Calforex/Custom House or as you go with a worse rate + service fees. Keep in mind that ALL the ATMs I used limited me at $500 euros and some even $300. Dannie made a really good point of phoning your bank and letting them know your general itinerary (leaving/coming back/countries etc).

And do take money out before you go. Small things like paying for the cab from airport or train etc you'll want something. And small change for something like paying for the toilet in Paris (or hit the McDonalds or Starbucks like everyone else!) or The Metro.

Off topic, how long and where you all planning on going in France?
I just let my bank know our travel details and I am going to for sure probably half my initial cash amount and will hit some banks up there when I need more. We are going to Paris for the first 5 days, and then we will be driving to Toulouse where a friend of my lives with his doctor girlfriend and staying at their house. They have a car for us to use as well. My buddy has a few weeks off so he is going to tour guide for us. We fly there Aug 3rd and return Aug 17th... I am super stoked! Should be a great first trip to Europe...

l/l/rX
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I just went to calforex on 8th ave today and picked up $300 euro for $385 canadian. I changed my debit card over to a visa debit card because my friend said the atm machines in spain are mostly all visa debit. I had a hell of a time finding a machine in NYC that would accept a normal debit card.

I'm just going to be withdrawing larger sums of money at atm machines and paying the $5 fee. This is how I always do it everywhere I go.

Feruk
07-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
driving to Toulouse
Eww. Toulouse is near the top of my least favorite European cities.

ZenOps
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
You know they still like Deutsche marks in Germany.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304373804577520930784840596.html

Technically, Germans are not required to ever turn them in for Euros. In these unsteady times, you may find that the Deutsche mark will buy you more than a Euro in Germany, even with conversion factored in.

Of course you can't ask for it at a Forex officially as it is a "defunct" currency. But, you can happen to mention that you are a collector looking for old Deutsche marks, and you will probably get some.

Sort of like how US pennies and nickels will buy you far more than US bills in Zimbabwe.

tirebob
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Eww. Toulouse is near the top of my least favorite European cities. Toulouse is going to be our base and we are planning of day/overnight tripping from there. Hard to say no the a free house and car and friends to hang with! lol!

That said, all the pictures I have seen of Toulouse, it looks like a very nice city... :dunno: