PDA

View Full Version : David Cross & Will Arnett: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

CanmoreOrLess
07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
I was tipped off about this series, it ran only two seasons. Will be watching the entire series over the next week.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is an American-British sitcom starring David Cross, Sharon Horgan, Blake Harrison, Will Arnett, and Spike Jonze. The series is produced by IFC and RDF Television and premiered on October 1, 2010 on IFC. The show comprises two seasons, totalling 12 episodes, broadcast in 2010 and 2012

The series follows an American, Todd Margaret, who takes a job running the London sales team for the energy drink Thunder Muscle. He has no experience with British culture, knows nothing about sales, and has only one employee, Dave.

Each episode begins with a scene of Margaret appearing in dire circumstancesÑin season one, he is a defendant in a British court, with a long list of bizarre charges against him being read; in season two, he is in what appears to be a North Korean nuclear missile base, being forced to press a launch buttonÑthen flashes back to portray the events leading to his sad fate.

Main cast:
David Cross as Todd Margaret: An American who is promoted overnight to be chief marketer of the Thunder Muscle energy drink in the UK, a position for which he is wildly unqualified. He is quick to tell implausible lies to impress Alice or to get out of uncomfortable situations.

Sharon Horgan as Alice Bell: The owner of a cafe near Todd's flat. She aspires to turn her cafe into a showcase for molecular gastronomy. Todd develops a crush on her the first time they meet. Although she finds him annoying and unattractive, she continually takes pity on Todd and helps him out.

Blake Harrison as Dave Mountford: Todd's sole employee. He often takes advantage of Todd's ignorance of British culture to pull pranks and make him appear foolish. As the series goes on, it is revealed he is actually a deranged billionaire who is in charge of the company that Todd and his boss Brent work for. For his own amusement, he has promoted Todd (and Brent) to a management position so that he can secretly watch Todd fail at his job.

Will Arnett as Brent Wilts (Todd's Boss), who promoted him impulsively thinking he was a tough, take-no-prisoners businessman. He travels all over Europe, unsuccessfully gambling and hiring prostitutes, and expects Todd to start producing cash to support his habits immediately. However, at the end of season one, it is revealed that he was a lowly telemarketer who was promoted out of the blue to management, despite being utterly unequipped for the promotion, due to Dave wanting to watch one of his American employees behave like a buffoon for his own amusement.

Spike Jonze as Doug Whitney (Todd's Boss): Todd's original boss in America, over whom Todd was promoted to become the marketer of Thunder Muscle. He suspects there is something fishy about Brent (and later Dave) and is determined to get to the bottom of it.

Recurring cast:
Steve Davis as Himself: The face of Thunder Muscle's ad campaign.

Colin Salmon as Hudson: Alice's Canadian ex-boyfriend who is currently in Leeds shooting an independent film. Todd's jealousy of Hudson prompts him to extreme behaviour in a futile attempt to monopolize Alice's attention. Hudson is quite blunt about having little respect for Todd. His film also seems not to have been received well by the local British population.

Russ Tamblyn as Chuck Margaret: Todd's father who comes to Britain after seeing Todd's debacle at the Remembrance Day ceremony, deciding Todd "needed a hand". Chuck is slightly less bumbling than Todd.

Jon Hamm as Dave's Employee (Himself): Dave's personal servant at his mansion, listed simply as "Dave's Employee" in the credits.

Sara Pascoe as Pam: Todd's pregnant neighbor.

Zh-8NClsmNg

hbOIKDqDKZA

95teetee
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I've thought of checking it out (I'm a fan of David Cross) but haven't yet...

Tram Common
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Is it good? :dunno:

firebane
07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
It was an ok series.. nothing spectacular but definitely had its moments.

Its worth checking out if you like David Cross.

CanmoreOrLess
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
It is not Arrested Development, nor does it claim to be. If you enjoy Cross and Arnett is is worth a try. If AD was a 10 and it is IMO, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret would be a 6 or 7, with moments of 8.

aaronck
08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
It's a pretty great show, the thing is that it's tough to judge the individual episodes, as there are running jokes that carry through the whole series. Black comedy for sure, but I think David Cross is a pretty dark dude.

CanmoreOrLess
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I just finished the first season, about to start the second season. There was one episode in the first season which was really not very good, I was ready to pack it in. Glad I stuck around as the episodes which followed were all entertaining. The inside jokes are coming left and right, I cannot imagine watching E06 without having watched all the previous episodes. Cross must be one dark dude.

mr2mike
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Ya, I gotta go from episode 1. Season 2's 1st episode didn't make a lot of sense.

But this scene I found is hilarious.

kfPReIAKxeQ