leftwing
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
SHO SUSHI BAR & KITCHEN
7212 Macleod Trail S,
CALGARY, AB T2H 0L9

http://www.shosushicalgary.ca/

Right across Macleod from Kinjo

- Food rating 4.5/5

First off, I will say I usually eat at Kinjo or Sushi Ginza in Willow Park, so my rating of the quality of food will be in comparison to those two places. The food was good, I would say better than both Kinjo and Ginza, but only marginally. The rolls were more complex than I am used to, for example my favourite, the dynamite roll, was topped with smoked salmon, avocado and black tobiko, compared to at Kinjo, there is no additions to the roll. I didn't care for the additions. I felt as thought the selection of rolls was fairly limited as well.

- Ambience 3.5/5

Nice decor, as you would expect from a brand new building. I got a tense vibe from most of the staff. Atmosphere was decent at best, hard to describe, other then saying I could feel the tension. Only a small room on the main floor was open as the rest were under construction still. I would say currently it would sit about 50 people, but when completed upwards to 150 persons. They let us check out the upper floor, which is finished, but not currently open. It was really nice, with a big fire place and a couple big screen televisions. The second floor patio would be cool to sit on, although it only would sit about 10 people, and with very small tables.

- Service 2.5/5

Hard to judge this, but I am going to be harsh'ish. I say it is hard to judge because we went on Saturday, only SHO's second day open, so there are going to be some kinks to work out, but this was bad. It was hectic. From what I saw, I would place the blame on the manager, or what ever the lady in charge's position was. She didn't seem to have a clue, which in turn made the door hosts job really hard, along with the kitchen staff and the servers. When we showed up there were 2 couples in front of us on the wait list, no big deal. Door host said 15min wait, I am fine with that. In the mean time, the first couple was called and brought in to be seated THREE times, the first two times they were returned to the lobby to wait because tables were not ready for them for whatever reason. I don't know whose fault it was, but that is bad service. Also while we were waiting a group of 8 showed up, and they appeared to be the manager lady's friends/family, they went right in, only having to wait 2 minutes. This was frustrating because it didn't appear as though they had a reservation. I am not sure, but I also think that in order to seat us quicker, they moved already seated people to other tables within the restaurant in order to accommodate us. We ended up waiting about 25mins. Our waiter was pleasant and friendly, best service of the night, but the food took a long time (we got our last plates about 45 min after we were seated.).

Cost per person: Including tip (15%) we left exactly $100 this was for two people with zero drinks (we drank water). In comparison for similar amount of food, at Kinjo we usually spend about $75 including tip. The prices are listed on both SHO and Kinjo's website, for 5 pieces of dynamite rolls at SHO it costs $7.50, for 4 pieces of dynamite rolls at Kinjo it costs $3.50. That is just one example that stood out to me. Prices are listed on both websites, so you can compare.

I will not be going back to SHO anytime soon. I would consider going back once I hear more things from others who have gone. But for the money, I would way rather go to Kinjo.

borN
07-24-2012, 06:40 AM
FYI, SHO is owned and operated by Sakana Grill. Looks like they're attempting to appeal to the "higher class" sushi eaters...but fail management is fail.

Disoblige
07-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by borN
FYI, SHO is owned and operated by Sakana Grill. Looks like they're attempting to appeal to the "higher class" sushi eaters...but fail management is fail.
:barf:

403ep3
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah I went on Saturday and I found the place really nice but it was expensive for what we got. At first we saw the prices and thought they weren't too bad but then you get the rolls..small and only 5..

There are a couple new rolls different than Sakana but the menu is pretty much Sakana with a small twist. A bill for 3 people with 3 drinks cost us about $165 with tip.

Will not be going back anytime soon.. I could spent $165 and walk out happier at other sushi restaurants.

:thumbsdow

flipstah
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Lame. Will not go.

Just Globefish and Wa's for me, thanks. :drool:

xolemonteaox
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the review, saved me a trip!

adam c
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Went there on Sunday and didn't find the place that great

No soy sauce on the table and when we called for the server to bring us some she thought we wanted gyoza for some reason - still charged us

They also brought us orders for other tables

Server wasn't that great
Food prices for some items were decent but portions are small yes
Stay away from the Stampeder roll, it's beyond sweet

Don't think I'll be going back

TomcoPDR
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I hate how there's only 1 shitter downstairs and it's a co-ed too, lost my appetit once I saw the tampon bin washing my hands at the beginning of meal.

There are a proper set of male and female bathrooms on the upper level. Male bathroom is rather small, I foresee problems once the bar/club gets up and running upstairs.

Yea it was about $165 for 3 of us too.

There was a lobster roll that was pretty good value however. Our table was wobbly, but one of the ppl I dined with, she knew one of the waitresses there so that got shimmed rather quickly when I brought up the concern.

In terms of service, they do have a lot of staff on hand, and I think they just opened this week. So could be fair to say give it 2-3 weeks till they work out the kinks.

403ep3
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
I hate how there's only 1 shitter downstairs and it's a co-ed too, lost my appetit once I saw the tampon bin washing my hands at the beginning of meal.

There are a proper set of male and female bathrooms on the upper level. Male bathroom is rather small, I foresee problems once the bar/club gets up and running upstairs.

Yea it was about $165 for 3 of us too.

There was a lobster roll that was pretty good value however. Our table was wobbly, but one of the ppl I dined with, she knew one of the waitresses there so that got shimmed rather quickly when I brought up the concern.

In terms of service, they do have a lot of staff on hand, and I think they just opened this week. So could be fair to say give it 2-3 weeks till they work out the kinks.

They were out of lobster rolls when I went there :bullshit:

One decent dish is the seaweed salad. For the price, $4, they give you a lot more seaweed than most restaurants and they don't include a shitload of salad below to make it look bigger (Kinjo :cry: )

TomcoPDR
07-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

They were out of lobster rolls when I went there :bullshit:

One decent dish is the seaweed salad. For the price, $4, they give you a lot more seaweed than most restaurants and they don't include a shitload of salad below to make it look bigger (Kinjo :cry: )

Where were u sitting? Cuz I think it was also SAT that I was there and we had the last lobster order. :poosie:

We were by the front beer shelf and that rock in the middle of the tables. Are you the table of 4 chicks; with the older sister/aunt inked on her entire upper should with her lil sister and friends, but underage.

Or are u the 2 hot chicks sitting at the bar? Those fucking opening ceremonial bonquets were blocking my view tho.

Or the mainland couple that sat towards the back by the bathroom?

The black and white dudes with the white girl?

The two Malaysian chicks?

403ep3
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh I was with two other girls at around 4pm lol. I notice that you remember your surroundings pretty well. The people at the table behind me were doing sake bombs with 3 guys and 2 chicks. Table beside me had a couple. Thats all I remember

TomcoPDR
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
So you were under the stair case area?? That's actually strange cuz we went there after you and had lobster avalible.

Hmmmm were you with the group where someone drove a silver Altima and everyone was smoking and acting cool when you were leaving? That's when I just got there young azn crowd 19-25 yo. Someone had spiky hair-do.

TomcoPDR
07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

403ep3
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I was in some corner where it was hard to get service because it was the farthest you can be from the kitchen. Nope I don't think you saw me. I drove a black honda :confused:

My group had 3 asians. I do remember a silver altima though..I think

leftwing
07-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I went Sat as well, we were there around 7pm, they had lobster rolls when we were there, I wasn't impressed by them. I thought the stampeder roll was decent though. Also, the edamame beans were really good.

markelickt
10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by leftwing
SHO SUSHI BAR & KITCHEN
7212 Macleod Trail S,
CALGARY, AB T2H 0L9

http://www.shosushicalgary.ca/

Right across Macleod from Kinjo

- Food rating 4.5/5

First off, I will say I usually eat at Kinjo or Sushi Ginza in Willow Park, so my rating of the quality of food will be in comparison to those two places. The food was good, I would say better than both Kinjo and Ginza, but only marginally. The rolls were more complex than I am used to, for example my favourite, the dynamite roll, was topped with smoked salmon, avocado and black tobiko, compared to at Kinjo, there is no additions to the roll. I didn't care for the additions. I felt as thought the selection of rolls was fairly limited as well.

- Ambience 3.5/5

Nice decor, as you would expect from a brand new building. I got a tense vibe from most of the staff. Atmosphere was decent at best, hard to describe, other then saying I could feel the tension. Only a small room on the main floor was open as the rest were under construction still. I would say currently it would sit about 50 people, but when completed upwards to 150 persons. They let us check out the upper floor, which is finished, but not currently open. It was really nice, with a big fire place and a couple big screen televisions. The second floor patio would be cool to sit on, although it only would sit about 10 people, and with very small tables.

- Service 2.5/5

Hard to judge this, but I am going to be harsh'ish. I say it is hard to judge because we went on Saturday, only SHO's second day open, so there are going to be some kinks to work out, but this was bad. It was hectic. From what I saw, I would place the blame on the manager, or what ever the lady in charge's position was. She didn't seem to have a clue, which in turn made the door hosts job really hard, along with the kitchen staff and the servers. When we showed up there were 2 couples in front of us on the wait list, no big deal. Door host said 15min wait, I am fine with that. In the mean time, the first couple was called and brought in to be seated THREE times, the first two times they were returned to the lobby to wait because tables were not ready for them for whatever reason. I don't know whose fault it was, but that is bad service. Also while we were waiting a group of 8 showed up, and they appeared to be the manager lady's friends/family, they went right in, only having to wait 2 minutes. This was frustrating because it didn't appear as though they had a reservation. I am not sure, but I also think that in order to seat us quicker, they moved already seated people to other tables within the restaurant in order to accommodate us. We ended up waiting about 25mins. Our waiter was pleasant and friendly, best service of the night, but the food took a long time (we got our last plates about 45 min after we were seated.).

Cost per person: Including tip (15%) we left exactly $100 this was for two people with zero drinks (we drank water). In comparison for similar amount of food, at Kinjo we usually spend about $75 including tip. The prices are listed on both SHO and Kinjo's website, for 5 pieces of dynamite rolls at SHO it costs $7.50, for 4 pieces of dynamite rolls at Kinjo it costs $3.50. That is just one example that stood out to me. Prices are listed on both websites, so you can compare.

I will not be going back to SHO anytime soon. I would consider going back once I hear more things from others who have gone. But for the money, I would way rather go to Kinjo.

The details you described about SHO SUSHI BAR is nice to read but it seems very expensive to me. Although I had never go there before but now thinking to give a try it for wines and food.

sexualbanana
10-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Where were u sitting? Cuz I think it was also SAT that I was there and we had the last lobster order. :poosie:

We were by the front beer shelf and that rock in the middle of the tables. Are you the table of 4 chicks; with the older sister/aunt inked on her entire upper should with her lil sister and friends, but underage.

Or are u the 2 hot chicks sitting at the bar? Those fucking opening ceremonial bonquets were blocking my view tho.

Or the mainland couple that sat towards the back by the bathroom?

The black and white dudes with the white girl?

The two Malaysian chicks?

So you were under the stair case area?? That's actually strange cuz we went there after you and had lobster avalible.

Hmmmm were you with the group where someone drove a silver Altima and everyone was smoking and acting cool when you were leaving? That's when I just got there young azn crowd 19-25 yo. Someone had spiky hair-do.

Jesus, Tomco. Do you write down the location and description of every woman at every place you go?

Skyline_Addict
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Place is OK, still prefer Kinjo, which is the only establishment comparable to it.

If you want top quality sushi/sashimi, look elsewhere.

lilmira
10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
He's the Jason Bourne variant who only gets targeted by female assassins.