PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio(audio/amazing pics): MB Galaendewagen: A 23-year road trip of 800,000 km.

CanmoreOrLess
07-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Perhaps you've seen this on the website Bring a Trailer, an amazing story which I would think many of us would like to make someday. I have long admired the MB G Wagon (try and find one of this era, GL), this quick six minute piece complete with photos makes for a nice mini vacation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18910560

Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

Back in 1989, as the Berlin Wall fell, Gunther Holtorf and his wife Christine set out on what was meant to be an 18-month tour of Africa in their Mercedes Benz G Wagon. Now, with more than 800,000km (500,000 miles) on the clock, Gunther is still going.

The German former airline executive has travelled the equivalent of 20 times around the planet in the vehicle - which he calls Otto. He says he has never had a serious breakdown. Recently in Vietnam, Canadian-born photographer David Lemke joined Gunther on one section of his epic journey.

sputnik
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Incredibly inspiring!

I love his lo-tech minimalist approach.

These days if someone was to start the same adventure, they would be bringing GPSes, cell phones, laptops, tablets and 50 lbs of photo gear with them.

civic_stylez
07-24-2012, 08:43 AM
That is so awesome. Makes you ralize how much world there is to see.:thumbsup:

Boosted_TL
07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Wow, priceless endeavour. Much Respect for Gunther, and the G Wag

taemo
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
great shots and inspiring stories!

if only I was as wealthy as he is to afford do something like this.

JustinMCS
07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

thrasher22
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by taemo
great shots and inspiring stories!

if only I was as wealthy as he is to afford do something like this.

His only "real" costs are gas and shipping the truck. If you're camping and cooking local food yourself it would be pretty affordable (very cheap in most of the world). Although it did say he was a retired airline exec... he's not broke.

What I find incredible is that I can't find any information about him or his journey online. Everything that pops up is referencing this video. He's been doing this for 23 years almost completely off the radar, not looking for any attention or recognition. That's badass.

I was shocked how many people I saw doing multi-year trips when I was in Africa last year, and the more I research online, there are a shocking amount of people who just live on the road or are just driving around the world.

msommers
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Absolutely amazing. MB has to be pleased! It's incredible his wife had the exact mindset he did. Thanks for sharing.

SCHIDER23
07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Just amazing, I wish I could drop everything and just travel the world, thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
^ Word.... wow thats really something. There isn't much I wouldn't give to spend a few years exploring... 23? wow... thats intense.

Huge props to MB, those are amazing machines to traverse *ALL* that without a single breakdown, ever.
:eek: