PDA

View Full Version : Another Build a desktop Thread

reborn_euro
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey all, didn't want to thread jack the other posts so I am hoping I can get like minded assistance for myself.

I want to build a desktop for gaming, most games I play are online, D3, MOP (on release), GW2 (on release).

Price point is at most 1200, via memory express.
I will assemble on my own and will not scrap any parts from current PC (too old).

I need the assistance because I have NO CLUE on what's good these days, also if you can explain the difference between INTEL and AMD processor choices, that would be greatly appreciated.
For preference I would like SSD for boot.

Appreciate all assistance, thanks!

puya.ro
07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
can't believe you're still going to play wow :P

A790
07-25-2012, 03:08 PM
There is a link somewhere to a list some guy makes that has various builds based on budget... be damned if I remember it though. :(

HyperZell
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
^If you're not going to overclock (though you can, with that proc) you can remove the CPU cooler. Would also consider getting a larger SSD and a slightly beefier PSU, and stepping down a notch for the video card.

Difference between Intel and AMD? It's like comparing chocolate to shit (okay, major exaggeration, but you get it). Buy Intel.

reborn_euro
07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by puya.ro
can't believe you're still going to play wow :P

Haha least on my priority list, definately gonna pound the shit outta GW2 (D3 is a huge disappointment)

Thanks for the build! looks really good.

More details:
I will not be overclock'ing/water cooling/ duel GPU's or any of those more complex things, I am looking for a system that is capable of handling those listed video games which are not really all that demanding but I would like the system to be able to support future expansion. Also wish to have duel monitors, don't know if that will make a difference.

reborn_euro
07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
^If you're not going to overclock (though you can, with that proc) you can remove the CPU cooler. Would also consider getting a larger SSD and a slightly beefier PSU, and stepping down a notch for the video card.

Difference between Intel and AMD? It's like comparing chocolate to shit (okay, major exaggeration, but you get it). Buy Intel.

haha I am noticing all the AMD hate online too..... wtf happened, I remember a time when it was pretty easy to pick, gamer=AMD, Intel=office/photoshop guys.

Check out some of the older threads via search, but that is just it, they are older, I don't believe the cost of parts/bang for your buck would still be relevant.

puya.ro
07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
dual 23" monitors.. $1303 all in
go to dual 21" and price should be ~$1200

reborn_euro
07-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Thank you for the replies, I have taken what was given into consideration and built on it from there.

So this is what I ended up getting. Went a little higher then were I was thinking, but I am incredibly happy with the result.
Also huge thanks to the Memory Express staff, fantastic knowledge with quick and accurate professional service.

A small piece of information, Mem-Ex does complimentary mounting/testing at 30% for your builds in store which takes less the 10minutes. This means that will mount you chip/fan and ram on the mobo and run it at 30% as a quality check. They dont have to do this, but its a nice service and saves a little work before you get home.

Again A+ service!!

1339.91 before taxes
And I am ready to play the shit out of GW2 with a whisper quiet system.

System Details
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower, Black × 1 $99.99
Intel Core™ i5-3570 Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache × 1 $219.99
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, CrossFireX / SLI × 1 $139.99
GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-17000 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) × 1 $59.99
Corsair Force Series GS SATA III Solid State Drive, 180GB × 1 $179.99
Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache × 1 $89.99
LiteOn iHAS124 24X DVD-Writer, SATA, Black, OEM × 1 $19.99
eVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort × 1 $429.99
Corsair Gaming Series GS700 Power Supply × 1 $99.99