PDA

View Full Version : Has any one built with Jayman Innovations recently?

Proyecto2000
07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I am looking at building my first home with Jayman in Redstone soon and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent dealings with them, prefferably in Skyview Ranch as it is the closest development?

If you would care to share any positive or negative experiances I would really appreciate it as I was not able to find many negative or positive reviews on Google this morning.

Thanks!

benyl
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM
There are a thousand decisions to be made. Take 1-2key people you trust to help make decisions. Get pricing only many different upgrades. Ask a lot of questions.

Proyecto2000
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks benyl, asking questions has been all that I have been up to the last 3 days :)

I have visited NuVista, Jayman, Pacesetter & Broadview homes 3 days straight. I got pricing from all of them on similar sized homes and so far what I can say with confidence is that Jayman has been the most helpfull service wise and their showhomes are finished with better materials (from what I can see) and at slightly lower prices.

I was tied between Pacesetter and Jayman but their price went up $5k in 3 days and they would not sell it to me for the price they qouted so it looks like I will be going with Jayman and saving myself $22k, gaining an extra 80 square feet and having a nicer "Chefs" kitchen provided that my financing goes thru.

The 2 negative reviews that I found from this year involved home owners having to harass Jayman quality inspectors to get things fixed, but I would rather hear first hand from beyond as our forum members are usually pretty trust worthy and knowledgeable when it comes to reviews and so fourth. :thumbsup:

Czar
07-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Make sure you ask them about their policy about visiting the site during construction. I cant remember which builder, but one of them only allows you to go inside once or twice during the whole build process.

benyl
07-25-2012, 07:36 AM
I built with jayman 6years ago and it was good. It was with master built, not innovations. Just different finish spec.

I would build with them again.

Be sure to look at a show home that has zero upgrades or minimal for a true baseline. If there are quality concerns, compare your finished house to the state of the show home.

pizdets17
08-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I can guarantee you the Jayman spec is not even close to Broadview wheen it comes to appliances, granite, flooring, carpet and so on. . I doubt you got any pricing on upgrades/options from me as I manage the Redstone area for Broadview. If you get a chance you should pop in and take a closer look to make usre you are getting the best deal.

Dmitri

gqboy322
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM
my gf just moved into her jayman innovations home even her uncle (which he built custom home) said they did a very good job. but then i guess it more about the trade ppl who build the house and site manager.

also jayman got the builder of the year too.

Kavy
08-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Built with Jayman on my new home, last home was Jayman as well.

Great service and top notch build IMO.

Dave P
08-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I am building with them in New Brighton right now.

Make sure you utilize Jayman Realty and Jayman Financial. Using both those perks saved me a lot of money.

Its been a breeze so far with Jayman, nothing negative to say at all.

Phl0xed
08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
I've heard great things about Jayman, personally.

Czar, I'm not sure about which other builders have rules about visitation, but I just moved into my place built by Brookfield Homes and construction visitation was very limited. 3 scheduled walk-throughs. One 'mechanical' (once all the electrical, plumbing etc was in), one 'progress' update (cupboards, granite, appliances all in) and then the final walk-through a week before possession.

Wasn't the biggest fan of that, but I was very impressed with the build quality and service I received.

Like benyl said, there's what appears to be thousands of decisions to make. Take your time to think about them. Bring some people with you to take a look at various selections once in a while. Interior/finishings selection was a lot of fun, but can sometimes be a bit of a headache. However, it's great to see it when the place is done. Looks even better than when I 'visualized' it all together! :)

Anyways, if you have any questions about the process, let me know. It can be pretty overwhelming building your first place. I didn't go with the same builder, but the process is similar.

Good luck and congrats! :)

benyl
08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I am not talking about the finishes. That is the easy part.

You have to think about things like where do I want my electrical plugs? Where do I want outdoor water hose bibs? Do I want a hot hose bib so I can fill a kiddie pool with something other than ices cold calgary water? What size of deck nailer do I want? Where do I want windows? Do I want more windows? Size of Windows? How do I want my windows to open? Crank? Slide? left, right? (this affects your window coverings).

Do I want an elongated toilet so I don't have to tuck everytime I take a shit? Do I want drawers on the right side or left side of my sink? Do I want it centered? Where do I want my light fixtures?

Do I want a drain in my garage to prevent moisture buildup in the winter? Do I want a hose bib so I can wash my car? Do I want a hot hose bib too? Do I want a sink in my garage? Do I want them to put in a gas line for future heater? How many lights do I want in my garage? Where should they be placed? How many plugs?

Do I want R50 attic insulation for marginally more? Do I upgrade to the highest efficiency furnace? Do I rough-in infloor heat for the basement? Do I get them to finish the basement to the bottom of the stairs?

Do I get 9 ft celings on the main floor? Do I get 9 foot ceilings in the basement? Where am I planning my home theater?

Do I want a second sink in the kitchen? How many pot drawers do I want? DO I want undercabinet lighting? Do I want a valence on the bottom of my cabinets? The top? What kind of backsplash do I want? Do I want undermount or top mount sinks?

I could go on and on and on.

I have built a few houses and I still don't get everything right. Too many details.

88CRX
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The entry level home builders won't even go down the road of 95% of those items you listed.

Building a starter home is pretty much limited to a couple different floor plan layouts (minor structural changes), a couple different elevations (window locations), customized electrical layout and then a yes/no list of options. So it all depends what you’re building.

As for Jayman they have a good reputation for a reason, but really it all come down to who your specific site super is and what trades are hired.

benyl
08-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

The entry level home builders won't even go down the road of 95% of those items you listed.

That's is only because people take no for an answer.

Proyecto2000
08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the offer pizdets17, but I signed my paperwork a few days ago so I guess I am set.

Czar, Jayman told me they have 3 scheduled supervised visits during construction but if I really need another I can just ask.

Dave P, you are right about the savings when you use their services. I'm going with their financial and lawyer services so I wont be paying a dime for all the paper work :D

gqboy & kavy, thanks for the input guys so far so far I am very happy with the process and I met some of the guys that will hopefully be building my home and they seem like great mature construction workers.

Also a big shout out to Ashley and Stephen who look after the Jayman Redstone project. Those 2 have made my first home purchase experience stress free and super easy!

Proyecto2000
08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
wow thanks benyl, what you wrote down is awesome!

Now I am going to ask them to add a few things to my garage.

Phl0xed
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM

You're absolutely right. I was far too lazy to make a huge list like that. Though there are some things on there that--depending on what the OP is buying--most likely won't apply. All things to consider, however. Never hurts to ask and be persistent. Because, as you said, most people just take no for an answer.

Great write up.

benyl
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Ok, here is the downlow on how site visits work.

Only go in the evening when it is very unlikely a city inspector will be around. You can likely go as much as you want until they put the windows on and door with a lock on.

What I did after that was leave a window in the basement "unlocked" and went it that way. A better way, which I did this time around, was ask if I could go into the house to get a feel of the size for a particular selection. They will likely hand over a construction key. What you do with that key, while it is in your possession, is entirely up to you. ;)

benyl
08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
What plan are you going with?

Some big ones I missed with Jayman.

Do I want the pantry door to match the cabinets? My cabinets were dark and my pantry was White like the rest of the door and baseboards. Looked so lame.

Is your laundry on the main floor in the mudroom? Does the mudroom have a door? I didn't notice until late in the game and I had to pay for the door and a change fee.

Get the stairs to you basement developed all the way down. It will help immensely when you go to develop your basement later.

nickyh
08-02-2012, 10:35 AM
They will likely hand over a construction key. What you do with that key, while it is in your possession, is entirely up to you. ;)

Our builder had three different construction keys, they would randomly change the locks so if you made a copy it may or may not work.

But there are so many places they overlook in locking (we often went in though the unlocked garage door - people would think we were crazy when we'd lift up the garage door and go though) and plus if you have lazy trades who don't lock up when they leave then even better.

I built with Jayman masterbuilt back in '03 and ws very happy with the end result. This is a company that truly understands and values customer service.

When we built our second home (non-Jayman) we went to a few of their show homes and chatted about the JD Powers survey and they all said their goal was to be #1 on the list, back in 09 they were third i think. Our builder i think was in the middle of the rankings and truthfully should have been much lower on the list.

pizdets17
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Ah, I see. Good luck with your build sir! FYI Broadview lets you visit the site as many times as you want with 48hrs notice. Congrats you are the first one to buy from Jayman in Redstone!

Originally posted by Proyecto2000
Thanks for the offer pizdets17, but I signed my paperwork a few days ago so I guess I am set.

Czar, Jayman told me they have 3 scheduled supervised visits during construction but if I really need another I can just ask.

Dave P, you are right about the savings when you use their services. I'm going with their financial and lawyer services so I wont be paying a dime for all the paper work :D

gqboy & kavy, thanks for the input guys so far so far I am very happy with the process and I met some of the guys that will hopefully be building my home and they seem like great mature construction workers.

Also a big shout out to Ashley and Stephen who look after the Jayman Redstone project. Those 2 have made my first home purchase experience stress free and super easy!

Jonrox
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Just a few things you should consider as well:

- soft-close drawers are a nice touch. Soft close cabinets are a waste.

- a pocket door with full-length mirrors on both sides is nice for a walk-in closet.

- in-floor heating in the ensuite is a must if you put tile down, but not necessary in the other baths (your guests can deal with a cold floor for a few minutes).

- a jetted tub is a waste of money. You think you'll use it, but you never will.

- think about audio and video distribution for your house. With the right system you can have access to your PVR's and video game consoles from any tv in the house - independently or at the same time. For audio the must have areas are MB, ensuite bath, and kitchen. And if you'll use your deck, get outdoor speakers wired into the system as well.

- projectors are great and you can get a huge screen size for a fraction of LCD cost. And the picture quality is comparable if you can control the amount of light in the room. You may want to just have it wired, whether you use it or not.

- wire your theatre area for 7.2 but just install 5.1 if the budget is a concern.

- if a hottub is a future possibility, get the necessary wiring done now.

- stone accents on the interior (pillars, island, etc...) are a beautiful way to add a high-end feel to a room, especially the kitchen.

- If your pantry door is paint-grade, don't try to match it to your wood color. It will look like you tried to match it, but couldn't quite get it right.

- I wouldn't spend any extra money on toilets... they're just toilets.

pizdets17
08-03-2012, 09:13 PM
In floor heating? Yea its only $41 a square foot why not lol? Average on-suite is 85 square feet =$3485.

B20EF
08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Jonrox
Just a few things you should consider as well:

- soft-close drawers are a nice touch. Soft close cabinets are a waste.

- I wouldn't spend any extra money on toilets... they're just toilets.

I personally love my soft close cupboards. I have an infant son so its great to not accidentally slam them at night. But I do slam everyone elses now without thinking.

Toilets I agree unless you get cheapo ones that cant handle a decent deuce. No point in a low flow toilet you have to flush three times.

Prelude_dude
08-03-2012, 11:42 PM
What plan are you going with?

Some big ones I missed with Jayman.

Do I want the pantry door to match the cabinets? My cabinets were dark and my pantry was White like the rest of the door and baseboards. Looked so lame.

Is your laundry on the main floor in the mudroom? Does the mudroom have a door? I didn't notice until late in the game and I had to pay for the door and a change fee.

Get the stairs to you basement developed all the way down. It will help immensely when you go to develop your basement later.

Just wondering the reason behind having a door to the mud room?? is it just noise from the washer and dryer?? Im going to be building soon, and my washer and dryer are going to be in the mud room. Learning some awesome tips from this thread

benyl
08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes, noise from the washer and dryer.

http://www.jayman.com/floorplan_images/large/aa2680_main.jpg You want the door in there.

As far as slow close cabinets, if it costs you more than $8 / door, do it yourself. I think you can get them from Lee Valley for that price and they just snap in place.

At the very least, get an elongated toilet. Unless you like your dick touching the front when you drop a load.

Proyecto2000
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
well I ended up switching to a cheaper lane home this weekend after some financial things happend. Very happy with Jayman quickly switching all of my paper work with no if and or buts so once again thumbs up to those guys.

Thanks for the tips on the garage, asked for a few more lights and plugs in the detached garage and a few things in the kitchen. Hope they start building soon as I hope they can get a lot of work done before it gets too cold.

pizdets17
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
It will be two months before they break ground..And of course they were happy to switch paperwork. Smaller house sale is better than no house sale.

dflamzer
08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm confused why you seem to think going with their "financial and lawyer" is something thats meant to save you money.

It's standard practice in building a home that you will use their lawyer however they don't act as your lawyer. They are just there to sign documents for you.

I would honestly not trust any home building with the financials of your home either.

dflamzer
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by pizdets17
In floor heating? Yea its only $41 a square foot why not lol? Average on-suite is 85 square feet =$3485.

It's not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination. It's a significant waste of money. I consider it to be reverse AC as it's something you'll only really want to use in the winter time.

pizdets17
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Yep, would never get your money out of it...And yes every builder pays your legal fees.

benyl
08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
It's not about getting money out of it, it is about comfort in your home.

Do you sit on the floor or do you spend money on a couch?

If you are building the house for investment, don't bother. If you are building the house to live in, get the things you are going to use.

I can tell you that when the temp is below 15 degrees outside, my bathroom floors are heated to 26 degrees.

Some people will say that you should just wear slippers. Fuck that. If I am going to do that, I will set my furnace to 16 degrees and walk around in a parka all winter.

Prelude_dude
08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Do you mind if I ask you how much you ended up getting the house for? PM is ok too. I am currently in the process of shopping for a lane home with Morrison/discovery in Nolan Hill. We are pushing almost 390k for almost 1600 sq with the garage (20x22) Just want to see what price range other people are at.

Thank you

88CRX
08-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude
Do you mind if I ask you how much you ended up getting the house for? PM is ok too. I am currently in the process of shopping for a lane home with Morrison/discovery in Nolan Hill. We are pushing almost 390k for almost 1600 sq with the garage (20x22) Just want to see what price range other people are at.

Thank you

If that's before upgrades it seems a little high. And is that before or after tax?

How much for just the garage, $21k?

Prelude_dude
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I believe their base price is a lil higher than most builders as they include most upgrades in the price. In the price includes (taxes in):

- garage, $21,008, no garage opener(lol), no insulation and dry wall
- granite counter in kitchen
- 600 sq of tile and hardwood. Enough to cover the main floor and upstairs washrooms
- deluxe ensuite with soaker tub and standing shower
- cast iron stair railings
- 9'1 ceiling main floor
- had to get our stairs angled 45 degrees so our fortune doesn't flow out the door lol... (asian superstition)
- upgraded kitchen with stainless steel chimney style hood with tile backsplash all the way to roof, upgraded fridge and microwave
- ~8,500 to main and second floor and basement to flush with rear of home. allows us to put a stacked washer and dryer in the mud room. also allows for a bigger walk in closet, bigger shower, and second vanity.
- 1000 to further upgrade our ensuite to a 4x3 shower and add a second sink and vanity
-modern fire place that is built pretty flush into the wall, floating off the ground. builder description: To add single sided 36" gas fireplace with four sided stainless steel trim (15" AFF) with upgraded linear
burner and glass chip. (no hearth, no mantle)

according to mr. sales man, the last 10 homes hes sold, most people spend around 2k at the selection center. He says their selection center is good because a majority of their tile and hardwood selection is not an upgrade from whats included.

but.. thats what mr. sales man says.. soo....

What do u think??

edit:

heres the layout, the $8500 to push out the main floor and second floor is along the back by the deck. it makes it flush with the back of the house.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z86/Jonnie_5/Untitled.jpg

88CRX
08-07-2012, 08:03 PM
That includes a lot of upgrades so yea it seems reasonable.

That $8500 for the rear addition seems high but all builder options like that are expensive.

nickyh
08-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by dflamzer
I'm confused why you seem to think going with their "financial and lawyer" is something thats meant to save you money.

It's standard practice in building a home that you will use their lawyer however they don't act as your lawyer. They are just there to sign documents for you.

I would honestly not trust any home building with the financials of your home either.

It depends...... When I built with Jayman we had a stucco home, and while at the lawyers they asked if all the exterior work was completed and if not we should put a hold back on the house to ensure we got the work done as soon as it warmed up. I would not have ever thought about that the first time we bought.
Jayman financial don't secure the mortgage, it still has to go through a bank, they are just the brokerage and why not capitalize on the number of clients that they send to the bank to get a better rate.

Now, with my current home builder we talked about the hold back clause with the lawyers, another build that progressed into the late fall, early winter and we were told by the lawyers that they won't do that for us and it should have been discussed when we signed our paper work back in the spring. Plus, we had to cover our own legal.

Each builder has their own pros and cons, all I can do is speak from my own experiences, and I wish Jayman had built in Aspen.
One service I will tell you to stay away from is Jayman Realty, now that was a waste of my time.