PDA

View Full Version : U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3

badbeatjackpot
07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone. Just wondering if there is anyone here that is starting their part time MBA at U of C this fall?
I registered super late and finally got my acceptance letter. I'm 30 yo and have been out of school for 7 years so I'm a little nervous about going back.
I thought it would make things easier if I talk to some people that are currently doing their MBA or are starting their MBA this fall.
A little about me...

Went to Queen's University.
Literature Major
Graduated in 05.
Worked up to Director of Operations at Holiday Inn
Currently Working in Communications Industry in Product Marketing

Hoping to specialize in Finance and switch to O&G

Please give me a shout if you are attending school this fall!

urbannomad
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
How bad is less than stellar?

PM me if you want to keep it anonymous.

badbeatjackpot
07-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Let's just say I could have done better...
That being said, my GMAT score and work experience was pretty good to offset the grades

chibwack
07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing the less than stellar comment was your grades? I hear ya there. Spent way too much time drinking during my undergrad at U of A. I do want an MBA down the road, in probably 4 years or so, so in the meantime I'm chasing my CFA and FRM, hopefully they'll overshadow the fact that I failed Stat 265 :P
Of course, after CFA L3 I'll be studying just as hard to nail the GMAT. Assuming I'm still interested in MBA at that point.

Type_S1
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by badbeatjackpot
Hi everyone. Just wondering if there is anyone here that is starting their part time MBA at U of C this fall?
I registered super late and finally got my acceptance letter. I'm 30 yo and have been out of school for 7 years so I'm a little nervous about going back.
I thought it would make things easier if I talk to some people that are currently doing their MBA or are starting their MBA this fall.
A little about me...

Went to Queen's University.
Literature Major
Graduated in 05.
Worked up to Director of Operations at Holiday Inn
Currently Working in Communications Industry in Product Marketing

Hoping to specialize in Finance and switch to O&G

Please give me a shout if you are attending school this fall!

Do you know much about oil and gas? Do you know much about finance?

An MBA is for someone who has extensive experience and is looking to take their career to the next level, not switching into a different industry. Just because you have an MBA doesn't make you qualified to be in O&G nor Finance.

Not trying to ruin your dream just trying to give you some more to think about.

As for the MBA program itself...I hear it is relatively easy.

sk8r3124
07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Do you know much about oil and gas? Do you know much about finance?

An MBA is for someone who has extensive experience and is looking to take their career to the next level, not switching into a different industry. Just because you have an MBA doesn't make you qualified to be in O&G nor Finance.

Not trying to ruin your dream just trying to give you some more to think about.

As for the MBA program itself...I hear it is relatively easy.

I am finishing up my part time MBA in the fall here, specializing in finance, and I did make the switch to O&G. So it is possible to make an industry switch. The MBA is a generalist degree, so it actually makes you more versitile and opens up doors to switching industries. The switching ability may not come directly from the course material itself, but more from the networking contacts you build through the MBA experience.

badbeatjackpot
07-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sk8r3124

I am finishing up my part time MBA in the fall here, specializing in finance, and I did make the switch to O&G. So it is possible to make an industry switch. The MBA is a generalist degree, so it actually makes you more versitile and opens up doors to switching industries. The switching ability may not come directly from the course material itself, but more from the networking contacts you build through the MBA experience.

Thanks for your comments. I find the post above kind of funny because it's intentionally a very discouraging comment yet he "heard" an MBA is relatively easy without actually going through the experience.

I agree with your sentiments. Most people that HAVE taken the MBA say one of the keys to a successful MBA is networking. Also, yes I heard its easy if you just want the title MBA but if you actually want to learn and absorb everything, there is a fair amount of work (which I intend to do).

I know the road ahead will be quite challenging but I'm willing to study and network as much as it takes to make the switch.

Sk8r, did you have a financial background or commerce degree prior to specializing in finance or was it a complete switch?

When you say networking, was it through internship or talking to your classmates who had an "in" for a job?

sk8r3124
07-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I have an economics background doing market research before working towards an MBA. I can say that I am in the O&G job right now because of an email I sent out to someone in my Block week class who I was in a group with. Lead to a summer position, which in turn has now turned into a full time position with a top Oil Sands player.

I have also gained networking through events put on through the Hayskayne organization. Most importantly has been with some of the judges brought in for the annual MBA case competition. I highly recommend volunteering when the opportunity presents itself.

BavarianBeast
06-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Just curious.. for those who are working toward or have completed their MBA while working full time doing the night classes.. if you had the finances and income to take the time off to complete the degree during the daytime, would of you?

shakalaka
06-18-2018, 03:05 PM
I know this is an old thread but somewhat related to the topic a thought came to mind.

While as some of you know I am in a completely unrelated field, the thought of doing a MBA has crossed my mind every now and then. Not necessarily for progression in my career but just for the general benefit a MBA can provide. Now it likely won't happen for me cause I am just way too busy now to devote attention to a degree but when I very briefly looked into it last year, Athabasca MBA came across my list. Even if I were to do it, it would have to be an online program for me.

Now I know what everyone thinks of Athabasca (as do I to an extent) but I was surprised to read/hear that their MBA program is actually one of the better rated (as far as online MBA programs go) and if I am remembering correctly if you have the life experience etc, doing a GMAT is not a requirement. Anyway, not sure if this'll help anyone but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Buster
06-18-2018, 03:25 PM
I only had a very short period of time to study for the GMAT (a few days), but I think those types of challenges/tests are interesting. If one of the appeals of an MBA program is because you get to avoid these types of challenges, then why are you considering doing an MBA?

BavarianBeast
06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Whoops, thought I was replying to my own thread and not bumping a 6 year old one...

Buster
06-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Just curious.. for those who are working toward or have completed their MBA while working full time doing the night classes.. if you had the finances and income to take the time off to complete the degree during the daytime, would of you?

No. It's a different demographic.

killramos
06-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Whoops, thought I was replying to my own thread and not bumping a 6 year old one...

I quit my job last October because it was getting in the way of school, was stuck between a rock and a hard place. So yea I would definitely considering dropping everything and doing full time for a year if you can make the numbers go around.

BavarianBeast
07-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input killramos. Starting the full time program in 4 weeks time. Looking forward to go back to school after being out for 6 years!

killramos
07-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Congrats, maybe I’ll see you wandering the halls during block week.

BavarianBeast
08-01-2018, 11:57 AM
I’ll be the guy who looks out of place ha ha.

What’s the best option for parking? Art parkade permit?

Cheers

killramos
08-01-2018, 12:04 PM
The open lot by scurfield hall is best for sure. Right along crowchild, just watch out for hail I guess...

As for feeling out of place, you will never feel so old in your life when the first year undergrads are milling around haha. I think block week is during frosh week, at least it was last year.

BavarianBeast
08-20-2018, 09:50 AM
The open lot by scurfield hall is best for sure. Right along crowchild, just watch out for hail I guess...

As for feeling out of place, you will never feel so old in your life when the first year undergrads are milling around haha. I think block week is during frosh week, at least it was last year.

Which parking permit do I order for that lot?

Thanks.

killramos
08-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Not sure you can get a permit for that lot, I pay the day rate.

BavarianBeast
08-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Okay great, thanks. Worried I was hooped.

sexualbanana
08-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Not sure you can get a permit for that lot, I pay the day rate.

If memory serves me correctly, I think that's 32? It's been a lot of years.

killramos
08-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Yea it’s lot 32, day rate only from what I understand.

I’m only there twice a week outside of block weeks so the fee isn’t that painful.

ickyflex
08-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Which parking permit do I order for that lot?

Thanks.

It also looks like they upgrading parking there to be payable via app so should make life a bit easier than machine

austic
08-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Started the evening MBA, will be weird going back to Scurfield for block week been about 10 years for me.

Taking ENTI 791 block week

[GaGe]
08-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Started the evening MBA, will be weird going back to Scurfield for block week been about 10 years for me.

I'm taking BSEN 751 block week - also in the evening MBA program. I'm sure I'll see you around for the core classes!

BavarianBeast
10-02-2018, 03:16 PM
What's the demographic of the evening program like? The daytime program is about 70% international students, it's crazy.

Thinking about potentially changing into the evening program if I can..

killramos
10-02-2018, 03:24 PM
It’s not 70% international students that’s for sure, we only get the occasional one trying to get into a course they missed or something.

More like 70% people working downtown.

Honestly taking tons of courses at night isn’t bad at all, I did that earlier in the year. And leaves you open to maybe pick up a part time consulting gig?

BavarianBeast
10-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Good to hear. I've got a part time gig that keeps me busy when I have the time for it, but might be nice to put some more hours into it if I can free up my time during the day. Going to finish this semester and reassess, a lot of my peers that completed an MBA said that the networking aspects of it were the highlights. Tough to network with people who plan on going back to India or China when they're finished.

killramos
10-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Definitely worth chatting with Micheline about if you are interested, I know they frown upon it but sounds like it might work out better for you?

Sucks a bit for the home life as you will probably be on opposite schedule with the wife but that’s the nature of things.

ickyflex
10-05-2018, 02:15 PM

I was in that class too haha. What a joke of a class lol, fun simulation though

killramos
10-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Just be glad you didn’t have to take BTMA 601... the enti course that you took replaces it and sounds wayyyy better.

BavarianBeast
10-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Definitely worth chatting with Micheline about if you are interested, I know they frown upon it but sounds like it might work out better for you?

Sucks a bit for the home life as you will probably be on opposite schedule with the wife but that’s the nature of things.

My wife is a nurse and works a good split between days and nights. Might not be so bad!

I've scheduled a meeting next week to talk about a couple things.

Wondering if anyone has any tips for MGST 611 or MGST 613 (Modeling and ECON). They are the only courses I am struggling with now because I am terrible with excel and our prof for ECON is awful..

killramos
10-11-2018, 09:36 PM
613 is one of the most valuable courses imo, those excel skills are insanely valuable long term.

What I recommend is do every aspect of the group assignments your self and only rely on group mates to check your answers. That way you can ensure you are learning everything and not miss some key aspect for the midterm.

Econ was a pretty terrible course. I have nothing.

BavarianBeast
10-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Thanks kr.

Any tips for the modelling midterm? Open book, open internet.. Seems like it'll be pretty easy?

killramos
10-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Thanks kr.

Any tips for the modelling midterm? Open book, open internet.. Seems like it'll be pretty easy?

Bring in as many of the class example and assignment spreadsheets as you can and just base your asnswrds on those.

We didn’t have internet available for ours but sounds like a similar format. Make sure you aren’t trying anything for the first time on the exam.

We had this terrible decision tree macro we had to use that was so buggy it was kindof hilairous we were being tested on its use. Save often in case shit fucks it and you need to go back a few steps.

As for easy, it’s one of those things where people either get 100% or 70%, depends if you get it.

BavarianBeast
10-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Thanks man. B- it is! :rofl:

killramos
10-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Just be glad you aren’t in the course I got conned into, BTMA 731. Description is business analytics, but apparently it’s all learning sql and VBA... legit writing code for the assignments and tests with a bunch of undergrads fml

BavarianBeast
11-01-2018, 01:18 PM
That sounds horrible lol. What are you specializing in?

Would you like to join the Movember team I made for the Haskayne MBA? https://moteam.co/haskayne-mba-mo-vers-shakers

Everyone's welcome to join!

killramos
11-01-2018, 01:27 PM
It’s properly horrible, and I would have dropped it if the drop deadline wasn’t 1 day after the course started lol.

I’m currently somewhere between finance and general depending on what is offered between now and June for electives.

I’ll let you know on Movember... it’s a special Kind of look in my case haha.

BavarianBeast
11-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Ah that's too bad, I'll make sure to avoid that one.

Ah c'mon, I'm going to look extra pervy but I think it's a great cause! You're a married man right, chicks love moustache rides :rofl

Having some trouble recruiting people within the program, none of the international students understand it.

BavarianBeast
12-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Does the MBA program get any better? Just wrapping up the first semester and between the quality of professors and material, the whole program has been an absolute joke and waste of my time. The accounting course is the only useful thing to me so far.

So far I had MGST 611 - managerial Econ, OBHR 601 - .org behaviour, MGST 623 - managerial modeling, SGMA 601 - strategic mgmt, BSEB 777 - business law, ACCT 601 - accounting.

Beginning to feel that my time is much better spent doing other things..

killramos
12-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Managerial Econ was pretty unorganized, strategic management was terrible.

Accounting was good (but I hear this Varys significant by prof), I had OBHR with Justin which was pretty fluffy but ended up being a lot of work in a topic I had never really addressed before.

I haven’t taken 777 (but I think my 777 is different than yours since the program requirements have changed.

I really got a lot out of the finance courses personally.

Overall I maintain that you get out of the courses what you want to, if they don’t interest you I doubt you will get much out of them.

I also took them at a much different pace (2-3 at a time in the evening) rather than full time.

austic
12-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Does the MBA program get any better? Just wrapping up the first semester and between the quality of professors and material, the whole program has been an absolute joke and waste of my time. The accounting course is the only useful thing to me so far.

So far I had MGST 611 - managerial Econ, OBHR 601 - .org behaviour, MGST 623 - managerial modeling, SGMA 601 - strategic mgmt, BSEB 777 - business law, ACCT 601 - accounting.

I have only had one dud course soo far. and that was ENTI 601 because the course instructor was crap. I took ENTI 783 (CDL) and MGST 715. The block week course was fairly interesting as well. The accelerated program has been pretty good with the students and quality of instructors has been good.

ickyflex
12-05-2018, 05:56 PM

haha I tell everyone I meet in their first semester to keep expectations low and you'll enjoy the program because the program is brutal lol.

That's just my opinion. Happy to be done soon!

BavarianBeast
01-04-2019, 03:02 PM
haha I tell everyone I meet in their first semester to keep expectations low and you'll enjoy the program because the program is brutal lol.

That's just my opinion. Happy to be done soon!

Lol, good insight. It just keeps getting worse and more laughable as time goes on. My cohort is fucking terrible too, so certainly doesn't help. Most of the students haven't worked at all or were sales managers at enterprise rent a car or some shit. Great networking opportunity my ass. Thought they wanted everyone to have at least 5 years work experience.. Oh well, head down ass up for 3 more semesters and I'll never look back.

Just out of curiosity, but have any of you ever actually encountered an employer that cared about your grades? So many people are so worried about grades, but I've never encountered an employer who would weigh your application on your grades vs. work experience and work achievements....

killramos
01-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Only area I have heard where grades have ever come up is entry level ibanking positions. As a joke our ceo asked the last engineer we hired what his grades were in High school lol.

That sucks about your cohort, mine is definitely a good mix of people. But no one really takes evening unless they are already working with the exception of a few lazy weirdos who I stay the fuck away from.

Buster
01-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Lol, good insight. It just keeps getting worse and more laughable as time goes on. My cohort is fucking terrible too, so certainly doesn't help. Most of the students haven't worked at all or were sales managers at enterprise rent a car or some shit. Great networking opportunity my ass. Thought they wanted everyone to have at least 5 years work experience.. Oh well, head down ass up for 3 more semesters and I'll never look back.

Just out of curiosity, but have any of you ever actually encountered an employer that cared about your grades? So many people are so worried about grades, but I've never encountered an employer who would weigh your application on your grades vs. work experience and work achievements....

If someone is asking about your MBA grades, you are in the wrong place having the wrong conversation about the wrong opportunity.

Disoblige
01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
I didn't see any updates about this but could it be that BB's cohort sucks is because he's not in the evening program where most people are currently working?
Or did he switch and in evening too?

BavarianBeast
01-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Nope still daytime, looking at switching to evening next summer. Just gotta see if I can still finish in <2 years. I also value my spare time a lot, so not sure how badly I really want to make the move because I would want to return to work full time if I did evening. Sounds like the evening program + work is quite a lot? Did have a block week class recently with a bunch of evening dudes and they all seemed great though.

Disoblige
01-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Well honestly one reasons I would go into evening is so I'm not stuck with daytime unemployed folk with limited experience who are useless to network with.
That in itself should be worth it.

bjstare
01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Well honestly one reasons I would go into evening is so I'm not stuck with daytime unemployed folk with limited experience who are useless to network with.
That in itself should be worth it.

This is why I'm targeting EMBA programs. Cohort should be full of other people willing to bust ass while still working FT and taking care of family duties.

killramos
01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
EMBA are also more rigorous on work experience requirements. Pretty hard minimum or 7 years actual working experience.

Should weed out the undergrads who are just trying to upgrade their letters.

Working with daytime students is painful, they have no concept that I can’t just leave work for a couple hours to have a Bs discussion about a project. Then on the weekend before a big deadline they pull a “oh well I am going on a big ski trip so I can’t do anything until Monday” :facepalm:

Disoblige
01-10-2019, 10:13 AM
EMBA are also more rigorous on work experience requirements. Pretty hard minimum or 7 years actual working experience.
Which IMO most people should have before even doing an MBA. EMBA should be minimum 10 I'd say.

Working with daytime students is painful, they have no concept that I can’t just leave work for a couple hours to have a Bs discussion about a project. Then on the weekend before a big deadline they pull a “oh well I am going on a big ski trip so I can’t do anything until Monday” :facepalm:
Haha and what's worse is on their end, they're thinking you're lazy/not committed and have no life.

ickyflex
01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

I'm in the evening program and generally feel as though most people I meet are fairly similar. I relay all of this back to work so people go into the program knowing what they are getting into. Nothing more disappointing then expecting it to be productive when it is not at all for all.

Never heard of anyone asking about grades, and honestly I probably have put in about 20% of the effort into my MBA than my undergrad and am doing far better than I ever did in undergrad. The idea that this program requires any sort of effort other than showing up is a lie lol. The profs will never fail you (<B-).

BavarianBeast
01-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Well one more semester I will switch to mostly evening classes and start becoming more involved with my businesses.

I think they've changed the narrative lately, and you can indeed fail. Over 4 students received failing grades last semester.

Talking with a lot of the EMBA students, they seem like a bunch of... Super intelligent individuals..

ickyflex
01-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Well one more semester I will switch to mostly evening classes and start becoming more involved with my businesses.

I think they've changed the narrative lately, and you can indeed fail. Over 4 students received failing grades last semester.

Talking with a lot of the EMBA students, they seem like a bunch of... Super intelligent individuals..

I find that very surprising! I have never heard of anyone getting less than a B in a class. Maybe it's changed!

austic
01-15-2019, 10:32 AM
I had a hard time deciding between the EMBA and the Evening MBA. Even though my company is paying I just could not justify the cost difference. So far evening has been fine. You really get a taste for the people difference when you have a block week class with the daytime folks.
My evening program seems to be all employed working in decent jobs that dont seem to care too much about their grades. Working with the daytime group in blockweek is an entire different bag. Mostly full time students/unemployed/underemployed and younger by far with a focus on straight A's thinking that will get them a job.

This semester was MGST 797 for block week (was ok honestly) , then have OBHR 721, SGMA 751 and ENTI 797 (CDL) which should be fun.

sk8r3124
01-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Cohort can definitely matter, when I enrolled it was after the 2008 downturn, so there were a lot more professionals that used to have downtown gigs that were let go and looking to pivot. Not as many international students either. I also remember my cohort being super social so the networking was on more than a professional level....the next years cohort after us...duds; couple of gems, but not many.

None of my employers cared about the grades, but did require a copy of my degree (also didn't hurt having a letter of recommendation from Dewald)

JustinL
01-15-2019, 05:20 PM
I did my evening MBA at the U of A a few years ago. One of the courses I did was a blended undergrad MBA class, so I ended up in a group with 3 undergrad business students. Eff that! I forgot how immature undergrads were and that made me double check all my future courses to make sure that never happened again.

killramos
01-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Csb

austic
01-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Anyone have a prof openly discuss the changes to the grand from last semester? my OBHR prof explained that they went to a curve and grades will be adjusted and changed by department heads to match the desired curve.

Buster
01-21-2019, 09:33 AM
I did my evening MBA at the U of A a few years ago. One of the courses I did was a blended undergrad MBA class, so I ended up in a group with 3 undergrad business students. Eff that! I forgot how immature undergrads were and that made me double check all my future courses to make sure that never happened again.
Holy shit. Id ask for a refund.

JustinL
01-21-2019, 09:43 AM
The course was interesting, but the group work sucked. It was a learning experience, and probably actually valuable to have to interact with group-mates outside my usual comfort zone. I'm going to go with that and keep my rose colored glasses on :)

killramos
01-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Anyone have a prof openly discuss the changes to the grand from last semester? my OBHR prof explained that they went to a curve and grades will be adjusted and changed by department heads to match the desired curve.

Yup, the new associate dean is mandating it.

This has actually resulted in lower grades overall btw, no more courses where 50%+ of the class gets an A.

I had one blended class, it was pretty terrible. But we had different course outcomes and had to work with the other MBA students so that wasn’t so bad. I still wouldn’t recommend it.

ickyflex
01-21-2019, 11:45 AM

Had this happen on the weekend. I think 6 students in the class had their grades adjusted down even after it was finalized and on their "My Grades" section. Lots of complaints for after the fact grade changes!

BavarianBeast
01-21-2019, 02:07 PM

Was Tunde your OBHR professor? Thought he was awesome.

Explained it to us and from what I gathered they can only allocate A to A+ to 20% of students. B+ to A- to 20% and then 60% to B and below.

killramos
01-21-2019, 02:48 PM
I think it’s 60% b+ to A-

Essentially anchors program average GPA around 3.5 which is still very high.

ExtraSlow
01-21-2019, 02:59 PM
I think it’s 60% b+ to A-

Essentially anchors program average GPA around 3.5 which is still very high.. That seems insanely high, even for graduate programs which have higher averages.

killramos
01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
B- is the hard minimum to pass a course, and you really shouldn’t be able to fail MBA Cources.

No need to take my word for it, here is the distribution for one of the courses I am currently taking:

BavarianBeast
01-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Well in a class that spends an average of 100hrs a week on their MBA, I’ll be happy spending half the time and getting my B- lol.

austic
01-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Well in a class that spends an average of 100hrs a week on their MBA, I’ll be happy spending half the time and getting my B- lol.

what class takes that much a week? I dont think I have spent more than 5 hours a week on a class...

killramos
01-22-2019, 09:02 AM
I think he’s Full time. Even so sounds like a lot.

BavarianBeast
01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Yeah, full time. Maybe 100 was a slight exaggeration but most of the people in my cohort talk about spending 10hrs a day on schoolwork. I was just trying to say that there is no way I’m going to put in THAT much time to compete for A’s.

ickyflex
01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Yeah, full time. Maybe 100 was a slight exaggeration but most of the people in my cohort talk about spending 10hrs a day on schoolwork. I was just trying to say that there is no way I’m going to put in THAT much time to compete for A’s.

My prof has told us you will spend about 100 hours the whole semester including lecture time on each course. That's what it is meant to be structured as anyways lol. So she says

killramos
01-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Some courses are known to be particularly heavy. For example Elias’s M&A course he says if you aren’t willing to spend a minimum of 10 hours a week outside of class time on his course don’t even sign up. But mostly I would say a few hours doing readings and assignments on the weekend and you are good.

BavarianBeast
01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
What are some of the best electives to take in terms of workload and learning value? I don't plan on specializing, just want to take the path of least resistance..

killramos
01-23-2019, 12:33 PM
As hard as M&A is I recommend it. I think it should be mandatory.

What are you interested in professionally.

BavarianBeast
01-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Operations management and entrepreneurship are my main interests. I enjoy finance, but on a personal level.

killramos
01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
New venture finance might be interesting. Or new venture law.

I think there are some operations amangemsnt classes offered over the summer with pretty convenient timing.

There are a ton of new entrepreneurship courses that I’m less familiar with (not really my focus).

ickyflex
01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
What are some of the best electives to take in terms of workload and learning value? I don't plan on specializing, just want to take the path of least resistance..

REAL 727 or 717 forgot the number Investing in Real Estate with John Fischer

Best class I've taken. Easy workload and super relevant and interesting class.

BavarianBeast
01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys, will check out REAL 717 and M&A course.

austic
01-24-2019, 03:01 PM
There was a great block week course I took last semester. ENTI 791 Technology Commercialization.

killramos
01-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Alfred’s course is much easier than Elias’s btw. And I think the guy is hilarious in a dry Austrian sort of way lol.

ickyflex
01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
There was a great block week course I took last semester. ENTI 791 Technology Commercialization.

+1 for this if you want something super super easy. Content isn't revolutionary but the course is 100% done during the week, which is the best part about the class.

sk8r3124
01-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Alfred’s course is much easier than Elias’s btw. And I think the guy is hilarious in a dry Austrian sort of way lol.

All semester we used to try to get him to say "GET TO THE CHOPPER!!!"....He never did.

Disoblige
01-29-2019, 03:34 PM
It sucks that the evening program is now only offered once a year starting late August. It would be nice to start in January.

Oh well.

killramos
01-29-2019, 03:59 PM
January start was quite convenient for me that’s for sure.

Into my third year I am sooooo ready to be done though.

BavarianBeast
01-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Fuck, I was ready to be done after the first semester.

austic
01-30-2019, 09:14 AM
What did everyone think of the survey on management and data analytics? That course they spoke of was not required in the accelerated so haven't really had any experience with the data analytics classes.

[GaGe]
01-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Anyone else doing an exchange this summer?

killramos
02-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Never registered for exchange.

Did my final course registration of the program, feels great to have line of sight to being done and get that final elective in for my finance specialization. Was dicey for a while there on if I was going to be able to fit the 4 courses into my schedule and not delay graduation.

Anyone else taking spring FNCE753?

BavarianBeast
02-04-2019, 12:05 PM
How the F did you register? Fucking server is down on my end.

I was going to register for FNCE 753 in spring but heard it was a brutal course, going to hammer out MGST 715 and BSEN 793 instead I guess. Summer courses don't look too good, whats the Haskayne wilderness shit all about (BSEN 749)?

killramos
02-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Wilderness retreat is sitting in drum circles in the woods talking about your feelings. If you need credit it’s one thing but I would avoid.

This registration thing happens every year, I learn to log in half an hour in advance and be ready to click the enroll button right at 10

BavarianBeast
02-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Yeah that sounds horrible lol.

Fuck, still can't log in and supposedly the courses I want are filled up now. Great.

killramos
02-04-2019, 12:58 PM
I took an opma course last summer with Janice that was decent. She’s such a scatter brain but kindof funny.

ickyflex
02-04-2019, 03:24 PM
I took Indigenous Studies last year, business of oil and gas, mental toughness.

Indigenous - Feel good course that makes you want to die of boredom but you write feel good papers and get your A- and never look back
Business of Oil and Gas - Super dry, but interesting if you wanna get high level understanding, prof likes to toot his horn about who he knows etc etc, more heavy on workload but manageable
Mental Toughness - If you want to realize that everyone in this program has mad issues great class. Good to understand mental health issues and become more self aware of the things we do, feel good papers and super easy.

BavarianBeast
02-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Thanks Ickyflex. Waitlisted for indigenous studies. Do the advisors usually get you through? Didn't think I'd have to worry about registration as a graduate student, but UofC is such a fucking joke it clearly is a problem.

killramos
02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Advisors will not help you with waitlists. One time enough of us bitched for them to add seats to a course, but that is rare.

But I have always gotten in historically lots of people register for too many then drop them.

What position are you?

BavarianBeast
02-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Mambo # 5