PDA

View Full Version : Factors to Consider When Selling a Used Vehicle

Kanto_Terrors
07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi, so I was just going through my deleted emails box and I came accross an email an interested buyer had sent me when I had a '10 Q5 Sline 3.2 for sale last year. It had about 18k on it. I was asking 54k for it (OBO of course) it was a little higher I know, but it was the only white, there were only 3 q5 for sale at the time and none of them were s-line, not to mention the long wait if you wanted a brand new one, and were priced in the range of 47k-50k. The car also came with extra set of aftermarket rims with blizzaks. It sold for 50k.

So anway, he offered 47k and MAYBE a couple of g's and the email said:

Yea but you don't take into account

freight, pdi, tax, AC, and other surcharges when transferring a used car. The MSRP is all you look at.

At the end of the day when I have car the value when I flip it over next time is going to be the MSRP less depreciation over
the time it was used. Not 68 minus depreciation.

Do you agree with this? Me, I just simply consider what the market dictates.

How would you have argued against his opinion? Thanks.

Type_S1
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Why do you need to argue anything?

When I sell things, no matter what it is, I gauge the market value and price accordingly. The buyer is just trying to "negotiate" a better price by being an idiot.

A790
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

When I sell things, no matter what it is, I gauge the market value and price accordingly. The buyer is just trying to "negotiate" a better price by being an idiot.
Being an idiot is right.

Kanto_Terrors
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM

hehe thank you, exactly what my thought was when I first read it. I just was hoping maybe there was something I should've said to make him realize that what he said was stupid. I just sent him an email "ok". I also had a suspiscion that he's in the business of buying/selling cars. Perhaps owns a small dealership.

Type_S1
07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Every seller is going to haggle. I am a huge lowballer. When I sell stuff I understand that and give myself wiggle room in the selling price.

max_boost
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
:werd: I like a deal. :werd:

brucebanner
07-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Every seller is going to haggle. I am a huge lowballer. When I sell stuff I understand that and give myself wiggle room in the selling price.

Bingo.

TravisF79
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
agreed. I always give myself wiggle room. Post high, but not to high to scare people off, and at the end I end up getting the price I want.