PDA

View Full Version : Bc "N" license converted to ALberta NEED HELP!

handicap125
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Need to convert my BC license class 7 "N" which i have had for 1 year to Alberta equivalent. I dont know if ill get a class 5 with gdl or not? If i get gdl how long do i have to wait to be able to a the gdl removed from the license. it says 2 years with probationary driving. if they included my learners license that would be 2 years of driving with no tickets. Need Help and i v only had my N for a year

Sugarphreak
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM

schocker
07-26-2012, 03:41 PM
It sounds as if you would be GDL and would have to take the test to get non gdl. Call the registry and check, not sure if they would count your two years in BC or not though.

handicap125
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
@Sugarphreak how long did you have your N before hand?

TravisF79
07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
yeah when I got my license switched over from my BC N, I just got a normal class 5. No stories no nothing.

Just went into registry and said I needed to switch my BC to an Alberta.

J-hop
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Yea Alberta's licensing system is absolutely messed. A friend of mine got his GDL in alberta, moved to Ontario temporarily for school so he got his license switched to an Ontario license. Returned 2 years later and transferred back to an Alberta license and was some how magically off GDL????

dannie
07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
To the OP.... You will get a 5 GDL and credit for your driving time in BC. For example: if you have your N for 18 months, you will be GDL for another 6 months and then eligible to take the advanced road test.

As for hitting up different registries, it's not about the clerk. They are required to transfer the exact info from BC to AB. If they fuck up, they get a letter from the gov and have to contact the client. If the client doesnt come back to that office within 48 hrs, their Licence is cancelled.

To the guy with the Friend who moved to ON ... AB credits driving time. So as long a he had a Full Licence in ON for 2 years or more, it transfers here to a full class 5

J-hop
07-26-2012, 07:19 PM
^ still messed up IMO, because AB doesn't 'credit' AB drivers like that, my brother has had his GDL for 8 years. What does ones physical location have to do with their driving experience???

How is someone that moves to a different province for two years credited while the equivalent person that remains in AB not???

Edit: and no I don't believe he had his full license there he had the equivalent to an AB GDL there

dannie
07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't disagree. And believe me when I say there are more fucked up things about our policy/procedure that you'd be shocked about. But that's how it works with the reciprocal agreements that are in place.

CompletelyNumb
07-26-2012, 07:47 PM
When I came with my N, Alberta didn't have GDL. Therefor I was given a class 5. These days, you will be given a GDL license.

handicap125
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Is it possible to get a job in the oil feild industry with a GDL? labourer, floorhand etc.?

crazy_gt
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I got a normal class 5 when i transfer my "N" class 7. Good luck:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
07-26-2012, 11:19 PM