PDA

View Full Version : synthetic ice panels

Gorilla
07-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Anyone have this installed at their house? Looks cool that you can skate whenever.

http://www.pacificice.net/

sillysod
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM
They have that at Heritage Park in front of the restaurant in the winter time.

My_name_is_Rob
07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
They tried that out in ft. Mcmurray a couple years ago. I never did get a chance to go check it out, but it looks pretty cool. Would be interesting to set that up in a back yard during the summer.

Crazyjoker77
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
We tried this stuff out at work in our arena so our hockey team could practice when the ice plant would go down for maintenance in the summers. We purchased enough to do half of our regulation size ice rink.

I don't think I could recommend it. It has a few flaws that they don't really mention.

The key to the stuff is the glycol solution you have to put down to make it slick. Without the solution the stuff is about the equivalent of skating over plywood.

In our indoor facility we were having to change the glycol every 3 days so I could imagine you would only get a day max outside in your back yard.

To change the glycol coating you have to flood the floor with water then squeegee ALL the old stuff off. Once you have clean plastic you mop on the new solution.

The stuff works good on cruise ships that it was originally designed for where they can have 8 hour public skates then close it down every night for maintenance and cleaning.

Its not like you can come home from work and just go for a skate(unless you had a good wife to prep it before hand everyday)

Crazyjoker77
07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
As well thought I would mention that we used it last summer its not going back in this summer. The hockey team disliked it, Maintenance staff said it was more work than maintaining the real ice. And the public barely came to use it.

It is packaged up in a sea can waiting to go to auction so keep a eye on the government auction site if you do want to score it for cheap.

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/

I've heard it will be starting at around 40k which is about 10% of what we payed for it.