PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement - Increased insurance premiums?

r-karsk
07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been searching around but haven't been able to find an answer.

I'm insured with Meloche Monnex and have full windshield coverage with a $250 deductible. I've got a massive crack and would like to get it replaced. Doing so would also make another repair on the roof easier to do.

Now, I cannot get Meloche Monnex to give me even a ballpark number for the increase in my insurance premiums as a result of the claim. It would be my first and only claim.

So, if you've gotten your windshield replaced through insurance, how much did your premiums go up as a result? I'm trying to make a financial decision here, so even ballpark figures will help.

Cheers

codetrap
07-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I never bothered getting glass on my insurance. Between the additional cost of the insurance, the fact that the deductible is $250, it didn't make any sense when it was only $300 to replace a windshield.

lilmira
07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I got mind replaced for like 300 bucks a while ago. If the deductible is 250 already, it's really not worth it. Yours may cost more pending on the car though, you can get a quote on the phone.

viff3r
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I got my windshield replaced for roughly $280 at a place called Dynasty off Edmonton Tr recently. I wouldn't bother putting in an insurance claim, no sense adding a claim to your record for a measly ~$50. Then I'd call MM & remove the glass coverage.

I guess that's not really answering your question, but I can't see any reason why you'd be wanting to put this through insurance. Unless you're really hard up for cash right now??

Xtrema
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Unless your windshield has to be HUD compatible or rare, most windshields can be had for $300 or less.

Some shops will add deductible to the cost so you don't have to pay it but I won't buy glass coverage in the first place. If I remember correctly, the cost of that coverage can basically buy me a new windshield every 2-3 years.

guessboi
07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Glass claim won't increase your rate on renewal because it is a comp claim. But if you have too many windsheild claim, they can decline coverage or jack up your deductible...

As a broker IMO. Front windshield insurance is a rip off.

First is expensive having this for collision and comp coverage + you have a deductible tack on it (250 most common)...just like what other people said already, you can replace a new one for roughly 200-350 for an day to day vehicle.

(Note with a 13D limited glass coverage - the only things you are really excluding are rock chips and vandalism not covered for the front windshield)

Same goes for specialized glass insurance policy, some broker will sell this but I don't...Reason...you have to pay $186.00 for glass insurance + they tack on a 50 replacement deductible on top. so you are out $236 a year even before a claim. :nut:

DEATH2000
07-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Im with Meloche Monnex as well. I straight up asked them how a glass claim would effect my premium. They said any glass claims do not count towards your premium. I even asked them if i had 10 cllaims in a month would it count against my policy and they said no.

To be honest i dont believe them at all, but thats what i was told.