PDA

View Full Version : Dead outlet

Kloubek
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
So I was working on my deck with power tools, using an outlet outside. I left for two days, and forgot to unplug an extension cord from it. When I came back to continue working, the outlet was dead.

I went downstairs and flipped every breaker I could think of (one aptly named "outdoor recepticles" included), and it didn't work. So then I turned off all breakers include the main and turned them all back on, and it still isn't working.

What could possibly be the issue here, and how might I go about testing/fixing it?

90accord
07-28-2012, 11:59 AM
check your other outside outlets it could be jumped off them and if the gfi outlet is tripped on the other one your back one wont work! almost guarantee thats the problem. you just need to reset the gfci

Weapon_R
07-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 90accord
you just need to reset the gfci

My bet as well

Kloubek
07-28-2012, 12:25 PM
You called it.

I'm aware of GFI's, but forgot about one outlet outside I rarely ever use because our BBQ is in the way; that is the one that happens to hold the GFI.

It is weird though, because the other outlet outside that I remembered still worked; I'm guessing they placed it on a different circuit for whatever reason.

Anyway, thanks for your help - it is up and running again.

HuMz
07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah its because the line (hot wire) came into the forgetting GFCI first, then out the load side it picked up the one that was tripped.

GFCI's can act really funny sometimes, I've had brand new ones right out of the box which don't work.