PDA

View Full Version : How do I assign a specific internal IP to a server on Telus?

Mar
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I've heard of reserving specific internal IP on your switch so that a specific machine will always get that IP when it connects. Is this possible and any tips on how it's done? It's on Telus if that matters.

Boat
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm assuming you want to set your Pc/machine on a "Static IP"?

Search google for that. Also you can specify "prefferred" I.P's as well.

TimH
07-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Sounds like you're trying to setup DHCP reservations that map IP addresses to MAC addresses so that you can have a computer setup for DHCP but always get the same IP address from the DHCP server. If you look under your DHCP settings in your router or whatever device is the DHCP server you should see a place to input IP addresses and MACs to do this. If you don't then it's likely the router/switch doesn't support this feature and you're stuck with using static IPs.

canadian booster
07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
what kind of switch do you have? what server OS is it?

Mar
07-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Not sure of the switch, I'm going to see the client now and figure that out. It's running Ubuntu Server 12.04.

And yes, I'd like to reserve internal IP relative to specific MAC addresses. I'm forwarding port 80 to the server and would like to avoid getting assigned a different internal IP if it reboots.

canadian booster
07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
yup, a dhcp reservation is in order then :)
most likely the dhcp server is going to be windows server 2008 with active directory and dns on it, but then again could be just about anything, or even another Ubuntu server

if you find out today what the dhcp server is i can tell ya for sure what to do, i'm handy with ubuntu and windoze

edit: if the dhcp server is the telus modem, call them and ask if you can configure it for a dhcp reservation, if the telus modem doesn't support reservations we'll have to change the dchp scope on the modem so it only serves out IPs like, for example,
192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.100 and you can then assign 192.168.1.9 to the ubuntu server as a static IP since only 10-100 will be assigned dynamically through dhcp

hope it makes sense, happy to help

taemo
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
is it supposed to get a static LAN IP address or a static Public IP address?

if LAN IP, you can either hard code it on the server with the static IP info or MAC reservation from the DHCP server.

if static Public IP address, then you need to go to https://registerdevice.telus.com and login with your account info, then put int the MAC address of the device you want to have a public IP address

kenny
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Not sure if I'm reading the question right but it doesn't sound like it needs to be so complex.

If you want a static internal IP on a server then don't use DHCP (manually set the IP) but make sure it is outside of the range of IPs reserved for DHCP.

Mar
07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
LAN IP and it's your basic wireless Telus modem. For some reason it looks like port 80 automatically forwards to the admin page for the modem, I can't change it to the server.

SmAcKpOo
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
You should be able to view the DHCP lease table on those and set a reservation.

I can't remember if you can NAT on those devices or not but try setting up a 1 to 1 NAT for source and destination ports. NAT source port 80 to destination port 8080 or something.

Mibz
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Not sure if I'm reading the question right but it doesn't sound like it needs to be so complex.

If you want a static internal IP on a server then don't use DHCP (manually set the IP) but make sure it is outside of the range of IPs reserved for DHCP. This. Unless you need to centrally manage a ton of static IPs then DHCP reservation is a more complex solution than this requires.

Set a static IP on the server and you're done. Except for obviously needing to properly set up port forwarding.

I thought you were a genius, or is Google below you?

Mar
07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
This. Unless you need to centrally manage a ton of static IPs then DHCP reservation is a more complex solution than this requires.

Set a static IP on the server and you're done. Except for obviously needing to properly set up port forwarding.

I thought you were a genius, or is Google below you?
Beyond > Google
If I was a genius I wouldn't need Google.

thetransporter
07-31-2012, 03:49 PM
i think he wants a static ip for his internal device

look for static DNS , do you have the actiontek v1000h modem?

if you have a router behind your modem, you may be able to load ddwrt.

Mibz
07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Now you're talking about putting custom firmware on his router...

Holy fuck people. Do you make your jobs this complicated?

kenny
07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
:rofl: no doubt!

Don't want IP to change? Then don't tell the server to request one that might change! Wow, what a concept.

Mar
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
i think he wants a static ip for his internal device

look for static DNS , do you have the actiontek v1000h modem?

if you have a router behind your modem, you may be able to load ddwrt.
It is this modem. There seems to be a place in the administrative panel for DHCP reservation.

eblend
07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
seriously, this all sounds so complicated, some people talking about servers ect ect ect, its a home setup from what I gather, on an actiontech router. The actiontech has a dhcp reservation, login to the router via 192.168.1.254, in there you will find dhcp reservation, set that and your computer will always get the exact same IP address from the telus router's dhcp. By the way, you will not be able to have port 80 or 443 (among others) forwarded to your web server as telus blocks those. Could also set static IP but no point really, as you would have to find your dhcp scope and pick an IP outside of that scope, which is easy as well but isn't really necessary. I use dhcp reservations all the time, works well (not using actiontech for this, but same idea)

You also mentioned that the telus interface is on port 80...yes it is, if you hit 192.168.1.254. You web server would have a different IP and most likely port 80 as well. You would then have to setup port forwarding on your actiontech and forward port 80 (from internet) to port 80 on your local IP, but since telus blocks 80 it won't work. Since 80 will not work, you would have to append a port number to your own website, so instead of somelamesite.com, you would have to do somelamesite.com:1234 for example. You can get around this if you use godaddy as a registar as they have redirection right in their interface, so it will automatically resolve your site to your site + your port. Other's may do this as well, but I use godaddy so thats all I know.

Mar
07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Looks like Telus lost the bid on their lack of port forwarding, I'm moving everything to Shaw and setting up a static IP plus DHCP reservation. Problem solved.

The funny part is I had Telus come to my door earlier this year and try to convince me to switch to them from Shaw. I gave them a trial run but before I did, the guy asked why I'm with Shaw and I told him it's because of the lack of port forwarding. He made a call out to his supervisor and told me they used to block ports but they don't do that anymore. Telus....what a joke.

thetransporter
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Now you're talking about putting custom firmware on his router...

Holy fuck people. Do you make your jobs this complicated?

i couldnt change things my TELUS router so the tech support from telus told me my dlink modem is fixed, no settings to be changed, so he instructed me to put ddwrt in my bufflao router, as its actually factory but i had the older version.

TO OP
Find static DHCP, find that, enter devices MAC id and enter the IP you want in the same subnet ie 192.168.1.154 or if its dlink probably be 192.168.0.154 (example)

adam c
07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
hold on, you support clients but don't know how to assign statics or dhcp reservations??? yikes

Mibz
07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

i couldnt change things my TELUS router so the tech support from telus told me my dlink modem is fixed, no settings to be changed, so he instructed me to put ddwrt in my bufflao router, as its actually factory but i had the older version.

TO OP
Find static DHCP, find that, enter devices MAC id and enter the IP you want in the same subnet ie 192.168.1.154 or if its dlink probably be 192.168.0.154 (example) Again, ALL OF THIS IS UNNECESSARY. DHCP reservation is a complex solution to a simple problem.

Mar
08-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by adam c
hold on, you support clients but don't know how to assign statics or dhcp reservations??? yikes
I'm a developer, not a server administrator. Normally I pay employees to do this stuff.