PDA

View Full Version : Deck building tips/advice?

Seth1968
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Hello.

I'm going to be building a large wooden deck, but I'm tossed in the the type of wood to use. I'm thinking of cedar or pressure treated, so any advice or suggestions regarding that? I'd go with composite if the price wasn't so relatively outrageous.

I've seen PT decks that are rotting through, but it's my understanding that any wood deck will rot without maintenance. With that being said, the previous owner of my house built a small PT deck about 10 years ago. It has never been treated, but it's in remarkably good condition:dunno:

My other question: The deck will be 2ft high, and I plan on laying tarp on the ground to prevent moisture, grass, and weeds from contacting the deck. The tarp will have a few small holes for drainage. Good idea?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

sillysod
07-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Don't put down a tarp.
Slope the ground a little bit and lay down some gravel (it's very cheap).

Pressure treated IMO is going to be your best bet. Cedar looks good, but you need to take care of it. PT wood is pretty much install and forget, just use the proper screws and you're good.

Kavy
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree with the above, tarp is no good. You could always just use landscaping fabric which is what I did to control the weeds but still allow drainage.

If you need screws let me know, bought 2 buckets when i did my deck and used less then half a bucket.

Khyron
07-31-2012, 09:00 AM
No tarp, put landscaping carpet/weed prevent sheet then gravel over top.

Use PT for all the joists/supports, then cedar for the deck floor and rails if you're doing wood rails.

PT needs the same staining/work as cedar after a few years. It is a bit cheaper though. No pine!

mr2mike
07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Stagger your joints so they don't all line up.
A no brainer but some forget.

barmanjay
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
No tarp, put landscaping carpet/weed prevent sheet then gravel over top.

Use PT for all the joists/supports, then cedar for the deck floor and rails if you're doing wood rails.

PT needs the same staining/work as cedar after a few years. It is a bit cheaper though. No pine!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seth1968
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice so far.

It's interesting to note that many of the professional deck building sites recommend a tarp as long as it's sloped for drainage. That seems reasonable to me, and would it not also eliminate the need for gravel? So why the aversion to tarp guys?

As far as the deck plating goes, I guess it's just a personal preference.

kenny
07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Tarps should be avoided (even if sloped) as over time it may lose its slope somehow if not done properly resulting in water pooling.

When building a deck that is really low to the ground keep in mind ventilation, don't seal the entire deck with wood panels so no air can run underneath the boards. Instead use lattice or something.

I built my deck as a hybrid. PT for the structure and cedar for the rails and boards. Right before I laid the boards down I sprayed everything under the deck with roundup and no weeds are growing at all so no point doing a tarp or landscaping fabric IMO.

Seth1968
07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Ok, I'm clear on how to proceed.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Seth1968
09-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I got all the material delivered today, but I've got a couple more questions.

What do guys think of the Peak hidden deck fastener?

http://www.ottawaprices.ca/WebProductImages/2011_12/2032/2032-20111212-0810-06961-Peak-Products-Hidden-Deck-Fastener-Powder-Coated-K.jpg

http://www.peakproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33

Also, if I decide to just screw from the top, how close to the edge of the deck boards do the screws go?

C_Dave45
09-01-2012, 05:18 PM
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but just for other's reading who might still be deciding: You didn't want vinyl decking, Seth?
I've had all kinds of decks, stained, painted, PT, and my current one; vinyl. I will never go back to a wood deck again, ever. Vinyl all the way. Mine is over 15 years old and still looks new. Easy to clean. Dries quick after a rain. No problems underneath the decking. Looks good with Furniture.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j3k26t.jpg

Seth1968
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
^ FUCK!

I already got the shit delivered.

Given your post, I'm now thinking, "Why the fuck would anyone build an outdoor structure with exposed organic material"?

FUCK again.

C_Dave45
09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
LOL...Sorry Seth. Didn't mean to rain on your parade. I'm sure your deck will turn out beautiful. An all-wood deck is easier to DIY as well. I wouldn't tackle vinyl myself. So ya have to hire someone. Added costs.